hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon Over

I don't think the honeymoon period is over. I'm sure AS can come good and I certainly wont judge his long term suitability based on one game, even a derby game ...... better managers than him have lost this fixture.

But, this was our first real test in the league and we fell short. Yes Alan Stubbs is a first time manager and has things to learn about tactics, psychology ..... stuff like that.

But he has been in the game long enough as player and coach to be able to see when a player's performance on any given day is making him a liability to the team. He should also be able to see when a game is turning against his team and make an attempt to change it, either by changes in tactics or changes from the bench.

Check the match thread .......... loads of folk predicted what was going to happen with Robertson even before the first half had ended. lots were mystified that fresh legs didn't get introduced when it was clear the game had turned against us.

When the fans out think the manager and are proved right something has gone wrong.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the honeymoon period is over. I'm sure AS can come good and I certainly wont judge his long term suitability based on one game, even a derby game ...... better managers than him have lost this fixture.

But, this was our first real test in the league and we fell short. Yes Alan Stubbs is a first time manager and has things to learn about tactics, psychology ..... stuff like that.

But he has been in the game long enough as player and coach to be able to see when a player's performance on any given day is making him a liability to the team. He should also be able to see when a game is turning against his team and make an attempt to change it, either by changes in tactics or changes from the bench.

Check the match thread .......... loads of folk predicted what was going to happen with Robertson even before the first half had ended. lots were mystified that fresh legs didn't get introduced when it was clear the game had turned against us.

When the fans out think the manager and are proved right something has gone wrong.
    Not just the manager ... The whole back room staff ... Surely somebody should have said Robertson was a liability ... Ffs

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Spot on let's hope it's learnt from it have faith in Stubbs he needs 2 new players IMO and Allen and Kennedy are starters fully fit

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Same pish. Different league. Different season.
    I know. It's depressing isn't it

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    individual errors by 2 players who played a huge role in last season disaster.

Craig's penalty was pathetic. Facing a 20 year old keeper making his debut.

Robertson did nothing except petty foul his way through the game and everyone (except Stubbs) saw the second booking coming.

We failed to put any pressure on their young keeper. Plenty effort, little guile and very little ball retention at all.

Poor.
    Robertson and Craig had a massive influence on how we played last season, which ended in relegation. Those two cost us the game today. They should have went with Butcher and Malpas.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I really don't think we were nearly as bad as a lot of people are making out on here. A couple of moments of madness probably cost us the game but every single player won't make the entire season without making a mistake here or there.

Craig has been excellent so far this season up to that penalty and I appreciate what Robertson does as well.

One narrow loss does not deserve the baffling about of vitriol that it's receiving on here.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I really don't think we were nearly as bad as a lot of people are making out on here. A couple of moments of madness probably cost us the game but every single player won't make the entire season without making a mistake here or there.

Craig has been excellent so far this season up to that penalty and I appreciate what Robertson does as well.

One narrow loss does not deserve the baffling about of vitriol that it's receiving on here.
    Its only from those happy we lost, its been a while since we could have a real moan about a defeat.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Its only from those happy we lost, its been a while since we could have a real moan about a defeat.
    Got anything constructive to add?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

What does Robertson actually do besides give away the ball and needless fouls? He runs about a lot with absolutely no other redeeming qualities. He's like a pish John Rankin.

Got anything constructive to add?
    Aye, thought the back 4 played ok, but i have yet to hear from anyone happy we lost.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

I shouldn't worry about it too much. Rightly or wrongly it's the same after every derby defeat. A win next week will see balance restored.

I've yet to read anything from anyone happy we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I've yet to read anything from anyone happy we lost.
    Me neither. Private joke.

Me neither. Private joke.

Maybe not, but yesterday's inept performance does!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    Maybe not, but yesterday's inept performance does!
    Do you really think Hearts dominated us and absolutely out-performed us?

Can you remember Sow doing anything of real note?

Quote Originally Posted by Purehibee_MYB View Post

Yet again agianst them we did very little offensively wise til like the 80th min, do you find that acceptable?

The one thing i think about derbies its less about how you preform its how well yoo battle and how many chances you make, and do you win.

It was an even type game, but who is gonna remeber that?
    all people will really remeber is heartz yet again beating us without domoinating us and that i fell is the worst thing imo

The game was close. We were at times far better than the mutants and on occassion, made an arse of things.

Form rarely comes into derbies and if you are going to lose a game in this league, lets get it done early and learn. The decisions on subs was pish from Stubbs. I am sure he'll learn anaw. Incidentally, they beat the huns anaw...I dont think they'll pack up sticks and give up the league either after one ****ty defeat.

I hate the mutants. We lost again. We didnt look like a worse team than them. We won that last new year game but **** knows how with the players and manager we had.

We WILL beat them. And we will be up there at the end of the season. We will also implode after every defeat, me included. Til Monday...

They're still mutants mind.

GGTTH.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    Yet again agianst them we did very little offensively wise til like the 80th min, do you find that acceptable?

The one thing i think about derbies its less about how you preform its how well yoo battle and how many chances you make, and do you win.

It was an even type game, but who is gonna remeber that?
    all people will really remeber is heartz yet again beating us without domoinating us and that i fell is the worst thing imo
    Same can be said about them.

They had one real chance before the 75th minute.

The game basically came down to two moments of quality, a missed penalty and a scored penalty.

Offensively we were poor, but it's one game. It just hurts more because it's the derby which is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    The game was close. We were at times far better than the mutants and on occassion, made an arse of things.

Form rarely comes into derbies and if you are going to lose a game in this league, lets get it done early and learn. The decisions on subs was pish from Stubbs. I am sure he'll learn anaw. Incidentally, they beat the huns anaw...I dont think they'll pack up sticks and give up the league either after one ****ty defeat.

I hate the mutants. We lost again. We didnt look like a worse team than them. We won that last new year game but **** knows how with the players and manager we had.

We WILL beat them. And we will be up there at the end of the season. We will also implode after every defeat, me included. Til Monday...

They're still mutants mind.

GGTTH.
    We were second best for most of the game, I saw it and every independent individual I know, who commented, saw it, every report I read or viewed saw it & most hibs supporters I know, saw it. There are a few who didn't see it & worryingly, our manager is one of them [or so he says].

We will have signed a few more good players by the time the playoffs come round next May.

[QUOTE=Forza Fred;4130555]Not the time to slash wrists, but definitely one for calm reflection.

We may be better than last season, but not by THAT much.

QUOTE]

We are only better because we are playing inferior teams. Our lot would toil still in the Premier league, by current showings.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    We were second best for most of the game, I saw it and every independent individual I know, who commented, saw it, every report I read or viewed saw it & most hibs supporters I know, saw it. There are a few who didn't see it & worryingly, our manager is one of them [or so he says].
    Yep, we're very good at ignoring the blatant obvious and taking an ailisbarry approach when really, all we want is to win, then there would be no need for excuses.

We were not good enough to do that.

Hopefully we can get some players in who will make the difference, but the current lot will not get us promoted.

There were those who actually scoffed at the thought we could get relegated last season a few weeks out from the season end, urging us keep the faith.

Well, now we apparently will definitely be challenging for the title, and to suggest otherwise is almost treason.

We need more new players to do that.

End of sermon.

What we do need to remember is Stubbs has done a good job in the 7 or 8 weeks he's been here. Up until the pen we looked the better side. Sadly last seasons bad habits kicked in and we lost to what I thought was a better Hearts team in the end!

Sow never got a look in and was forced to elbow defenders to try and win the ball, he is 6'4 and jumps 6'3 !. Folk need to have a wee think to themselves if they think we can turn into Barcelona in eight weeks , we have come on a fair distance since the end of the season and i've no doubt we will get better still.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    Sow never got a look in and was forced to elbow defenders to try and win the ball, he is 6'4 and jumps 6'3 !. Folk need to have a wee think to themselves if they think we can turn into Barcelona in eight weeks , we have come on a fair distance since the end of the season and i've no doubt we will get better still.

This is a bugbear of mine. Why do people have to use hyperbole to argue the point?

Nobody's asking for Barcelona, just a team that can beat a very poor Hearts.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    What we do need to remember is Stubbs has done a good job in the 7 or 8 weeks he's been here. Up until the pen we looked the better side. Sadly last seasons bad habits kicked in and we lost to what I thought was a better Hearts team in the end!
    I'm not having a go at you Cat but what has he done as far as a good job.

We have recruited very few players, we have played 3 competitive games. Lost 2, won 1.

I'm not having a pop at him either, but I just don't see to date where the good job comes in yet

Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post

We have recruited very few players, we have played 3 competitive games. Lost 2, won 1.

I'm not having a pop at him either, but I just don't see to date where the good job comes in yet

I think people are overplaying what Stubbs has achieved. We've already been beaten by both of our biggest rivals and won a game with a fluke goal from our Goalie. Those, as they say, are the facts.

I'm in no way saying I think Stubbs is the wrong man for the job (I haven't seen enough yet to judge him either way) or is already a failure, I just think he's achieved nothing yet to get us particularly excited.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 19-08-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post

Well in seven weeks he has got us believing in passing the ball. These are the same players who were shot to bits after going down. Zero confidence as well. Look at Nelson yesterday. Sow was in his pocket all game. That wouldn't have happened last year.

We lost to The Rangers with 10 men and completely dominated them. Surely you seen this no? These are early signs he's improved a squad that lacked confidence. His signings look fairly good and it's not his fault though that we can't get more in that's the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same can be said about them.

They had one real chance before the 75th minute.

The game basically came down to two moments of quality, a missed penalty and a scored penalty.

Offensively we were poor, but it's one game. It just hurts more because it's the derby which is understandable.

It just seems to me that every time we play the, offensively we are poor,I would hazard a guess that in the last 10games agianst them we d be lucky to have scored 4 goals i stand correctly if im wrong though.But its not just ONE game is it? it was 4 out of 5 last season was it not? im sure it was mentione don tv that in the last 18 derbies (in the league) they have won 15(it was around that number and im sure that drives home the point there often win agianst us 90% of the time)