hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    41,000 Rangers fans at Ibrox on Friday night during “the holiday season”. Also have a Euro game on Thursday. Have all the same excuses available that we’re hearing for not attending a legend’s testimonial.
    Tickets are priced at just £12 for adults, £8 for concession and £4 for children

According to the Rangers website for the Bury game. Nearly half the price of today’s game.

Had Hibs went with those kind of prices then I suspect many more people would of came to Paul’s game including myself. You need to consider not everyone lives in Edinburgh so travel costs adding to this game and the Europe games then it’s no surprise only 7k turned up.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    7k? Where did that come from? Looked like 5k from where I was sitting. Maybe the other 2k were seagulls?

I take the point in what the majority are saying re affordability and time of year pricing and with a European game on the horizon and perhaps not appropriate to raise this thread as his testimonial celebrations are still ongoing as others have pointed out PH is a true professional a humble guy HIBS through and through deserves our total respect and would no doubt be saddened to hear of any negative criticism of his testimonial on these threads.

I was also disappointed to read that Neil Lennon would not give an interview to congratulate PH on his HIBS career gaining a testimonial and being a loyal servant and model professional to HIBS through good times and bad a rare achievement nowadays .

Respect !

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I don’t need a reason not to go to ER, neither does anybody else. When did supporting a team become a duty? My money and my time are just that, mine. What is the world coming to...

41k fans turned up on Friday night, so many opportunities to poke fun into that but I’ll just avoid that. Real Madrid had more fans turn up for a new player doing keppie uppies, when do we stop comparing ourselves to other teams, I’ve not got the hang of this yet...
    Spot on. I didn’t go today as I simply didn’t want to go. A dull barely competitive friendly lazily dressed up as a testimonial didn’t appeal to me, Paul Hanlon or no Paul Hanlon. I don’t go to many friendlies as they are usually dull as dishwater.

As Madhatter points out, I don’t have a duty to attend Hibs games, it’s just a game of football at the end of the day, I go through choice. I choose to go to the majority of competitive games (certainly at home anyway) but don’t give it a second thought when I choose to do something else with my time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post
    While I understand the time of year, a European tie coming up, the fact we have shown massive support since winning the cup and achieving promotion we can't muster 7k for a local Hibs legend. Shame on us. Any long standing posters welcome to have a go I will fund you with my credentials and yes I was there.
    Cool, next time you miss a game go and post the reason on here and we can all dissect it and give you grief. Or better yet, maybe we just need you to provide us with a list of pre approved reasons for missing a game? That way we can all know if what we're doing is OK or not.

My "excuse" is that I had other stuff I wanted to do on a beautiful summers day. Suggesting my actions are shameful somehow is not only nonsense but actually really offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    It’s a slightly weird world where people with a job we’d all desperately like to have, that pays considerably more than most of us can dream of ever earning, are given a match in their honour.

I’m not against testimonials, and I’m a big fan of PH, but going along to these games is very much a personal choice. None of us owe Paul Hanlon anything. I was at Lewis’ game, enjoyed it enough and applauded him on his lap of honour, but today I chose to take my daughter to the event in Princes Street Gardens instead. No regrets. Pre-season friendlies are ***** and, for me, there are better things to do on a sunny day than pay through the nose for one.
    You're right.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Respectable number for time of year and type of game, Lennon interview issue a complete non issue.

Thought it was a good crowd to be honest. Pre season friendlies are mince so to get 7k there is brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Cool, next time you miss a game go and post the reason on here and we can all dissect it and give you grief. Or better yet, maybe we just need you to provide us with a list of pre approved reasons for missing a game? That way we can all know if what we're doing is OK or not.

My "excuse" is that I had other stuff I wanted to do on a beautiful summers day. Suggesting my actions are shameful somehow is not only nonsense but actually really offensive.
    Well, that's a spanking and a half.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Respectable number for time of year and type of game, Lennon interview issue a complete non issue.
    I agree, but why do most fans write off Lennon’s lack of interview but then question fans for not paying £20 to respect Paul (as if turning up every week to support him and the team isn’t enough)?

Mowbray did an interview, Lennon chose not to. Non issue.
    6.5k fans turned up, many fans chose not to. Let the witch hunt begin! Almost got interrogations going on here with “excuses” being critiqued.

Lennon’s paid by Hibs, I’m not. His time can be critiqued to a degree due to his position. Mine as a fan cannot, I choose to support Hibs, I give them money, they give me nothing beyond entertainment. Hibs vs Blackburn in a friendly is not entertaining to me. Labelled as a testimonial or not.

You are right, decent numbers turned up. We need to move on. Thursday is the focus

The likes of Dundee, Motherwell, St Mirren etc would love to get a crowd that big for a league game.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandMoaner View Post
    Its an embarrassing crowd for Paul, I'm not having ago at fans as there is a number of contribution factors many of which you mention. The main one for me is having a testimonial as part of your pre season games is nonsense.

Both Paul and Lewis should have had better opponents and both testimonials should have been played in season

not sure who is to blame for making these decisions it's just disappointing

Sadly I have to agree with you ! 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_kara View Post
    There was only approx 4,000 in attendance
    Sadly have to agree and so far looks like most of the posters on here weren’t there. Not judging anyone !

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    The likes of Dundee, Motherwell, St Mirren etc would love to get a crowd that big for a league game.
    Regardless of what you think of the turn out today those clubs aren’t the level we should be measuring ourselves against.

i enjoyed a nice day in the sun at Easter Road today,the result didn’t matter and no one got injured. Hope PH had a nice day as well.

I agree, but why do most fans write off Lennon’s lack of interview but then question fans for not paying £20 to respect Paul (as if turning up every week to support him and the team isn’t enough)?

Mowbray did an interview, Lennon chose not to. Non issue.
    6.5k fans turned up, many fans chose not to. Let the witch hunt begin! Almost got interrogations going on here with “excuses” being critiqued.

Lennon’s paid by Hibs, I’m not. His time can be critiqued to a degree due to his position. Mine as a fan cannot, I choose to support Hibs, I give them money, they give me nothing beyond entertainment. Hibs vs Blackburn in a friendly is not entertaining to me. Labelled as a testimonial or not.

You are right, decent numbers turned up. We need to move on. Thursday is the focus
    The Lennon digs are mental. How did it compare at all. If Lennon had agreed to play a ukulele at half time would we have had 3000 more? People don’t wont to go? That’s up to them. I might not be delighted with that but it’s got nothing to do with what lennon does pre post or during the game. People make their own decisions and lets not use Lennon as a possible post excuse.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Sadly have to agree and so far looks like most of the posters on here weren’t there. Not judging anyone !
    Getting a testimonial when you are 28 is just silly, especially for a defender. He could play until he is 38 if he keeps himself in shape and reads the game well.

Many people who didn’t go, couldn’t, some could and didn’t but donated, some could but didn’t and did something completely different without donating.

Many people went, and enjoyed the game, some were bored, some were preoccupied with flying vermin, some viewed the flying vermin in a kinder light and pondered the cleanliness of the city, some were trying to keep their kids entertained because they were bored,

Variety of life is something to celebrate, not to ponder. I hope I never have to say “Reporting for duty” to gain entry to ER.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The Lennon digs are mental. How did it compare at all. If Lennon had agreed to play a ukulele at half time would we have had 3000 more? People don’t wont to go? That’s up to them. I might not be delighted with that but it’s got nothing to do with what lennon does pre post or during the game. People make their own decisions and lets not use Lennon as a possible post excuse.
    I’m totally confused. I’ve not made any digs towards Lennon...

My point being, Lennon is an employee of Hibs and chose not to do interviews. You say that is fine I assume?

I am a supporter of Hibs and chose not to go to this testimonial. The message I’m getting is that isn’t fine and I should have viable reasons for such.

Employee of Hibs gets to pick and chose when he does duties I presume are somewhere on his contract but a fan who wilfully chooses to support Hibs through thick and thin has to have reasons for lack of support in certain games?

Lennon is not an excuse. I don’t need one. At this rate I’ll need an alibi for not turning up.

Getting a testimonial when you are 28 is just silly, especially for a defender. He could play until he is 38 if he keeps himself in shape and reads the game well.

Many people who didn’t go, couldn’t, some could and didn’t but donated, some could but didn’t and did something completely different without donating.

Many people went, and enjoyed the game, some were bored, some were preoccupied with flying vermin, some viewed the flying vermin in a kinder light and pondered the cleanliness of the city, some were trying to keep their kids entertained because they were bored,

Variety of life is something to celebrate, not to ponder. I hope I never have to say “Reporting for duty” to gain entry to ER.
    My point was in agreement with the OP that it looked more like 5k than 7k in attendance if you were there you would agree but as you weren’t you can’t. As Bobby Williamson once famously said if you want entertainment go to the Cinema!

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    My point was in agreement with the OP that it looked more like 5k than 7k in attendance if you were there you would agree but as you weren’t you can’t. As Bobby Williamson once famously said if you want entertainment go to the Cinema!
    I watched on HibsTV, it looked like 5-6k, seeing as the going count seems to be 6.5k then apart from someone doing a manual count (someone good at arithmetic while being bombed by gulls) it’s really just guessing tbh. I do go to the cinema

I watched on HibsTV, it looked like 5-6k, seeing as the going count seems to be 6.5k then apart from someone doing a manual count (someone good at arithmetic while being bombed by gulls) it’s really just guessing tbh. I do go to the cinema
    Apologies hatter only winding you up couldnae resist it I can tell you are a good Hibby only my wee joke hope Apologies accepted and no hard feelings!

The crowd would have looked lower on Hibs TV because sensible people were avoiding the east as the sun beating down and would have been a tad uncomfortable over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Apologies hatter only winding you up couldnae resist it I can tell you are a good Hibby only my wee joke hope Apologies accepted and no hard feelings!

No hard feelings whatsoever, this is a forum, I expect there to be different opinions and views, and the occasional wind-ups along the way! Can someone get in touch with the fan representative for the gulls and pass on our appreciation for their attendance

Joking aside, Barcahibs actually makes valid points about the gulls on the other thread.

No hard feelings whatsoever, this is a forum, I expect there to be different opinions and views, and the occasional wind-ups along the way! Can someone get in touch with the fan representative for the gulls and pass on our appreciation for their attendance

Joking aside, Barcahibs actually makes valid points about the gulls on the other thread.
    Read it ! Already posted need to sign Peregrine Falcon before Scott Allan!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I never went, sue me.

I have a 4 month old son and attended relatives birthday party with him today, given the choice I'd always choose the European match on Thursday over a friendly dressed as a testimonial. No brainer imo.

The £20 I saved buys my son two tins of SMA milk. He needs it more than Paul, sorry.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    £20 for an utterly meaningless game against a boring, drab outfit when the money isn't even going to end up in the wallet of the player whose testimonial it is?

I would probably have gone if I didn't live 200 miles away, but if you don't understand why people chose not to go then you need to work on your empathy.

Coaching Staff
    I think the ‘testimonial’ is almost an achronism these days.

Many years ago, before even ‘squad rotation’ it was just about the only way that football clubs could find to ‘reward’ a player for long service, and was written into their contracts, and organised by the club, usually against generally enticing opposition.

Nowadays, it is ‘just another match’ and Impotantly, people can choose to not attend without it being a slight against the player involved.

Blackburn to me, would be about as enticing as soggy toast.....and that’s not to disrespect soggy toast.
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 09-07-2018 at 12:04 AM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    didnt go yesterday as i simply didnt want to, during the season im at most games so dont spend a lot of free time with the family so during the months when the season is finished thats our time to do family stuff

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    didnt go yesterday as i simply didnt want to, during the season im at most games so dont spend a lot of free time with the family so during the months when the season is finished thats our time to do family stuff
    Lennon’s allowed to do that. You aren’t.

Obviously joking, fans should get a testimonial for what they sacrifice financially and socially to turn up to the football most weeks. We’ve got fans donating to HSL, buying STs, buying food or simply paying for transport on match day. Taking a break from any of that during the preseason makes sense to many and nobody should have to justify it. Hope you had a good time with the family.

Promising Youngster
    Four of my mates, their kids, me and my kids are in Greece/ Spain,
    otherwise we would all have been present . This must be replicated dozens of times across Edinburgh and Lothians.
    I would question the decision to hold a testimonial in trades, rather than criticise a low turnout tbh

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Jesus, why are we doing this? If you were there, magic. If you weren't, I'd assume if it wasn't because you think Hanlon is an undeserving case and boycotted it.

As a fantastic professional, Paul will know that the Runavik game is far more important to Hibs and anyone who had to choose between today's game and Thursday's has made the correct decision.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I went and it was pretty boring to be honest. I much prefer the old type of testimonials with guest players, dodgy ref decisions in favour of the recipient player and the obligatory penalt given so he could score in his testimonial. This was hardly a testimonial in the spirit of days gone by, more a pre season friendly billed as one. They used to be fun.