hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Poor show for a legend

While I understand the time of year, a European tie coming up, the fact we have shown massive support since winning the cup and achieving promotion we can't muster 7k for a local Hibs legend. Shame on us. Any long standing posters welcome to have a go I will fund you with my credentials and yes I was there.

2. Log in to remove the advert

This won’t go well. 😂

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I understand the time of year, a European tie coming up, the fact we have shown massive support since winning the cup and achieving promotion we can't muster 7k for a local Hibs legend. Shame on us. Any long standing posters welcome to have a go I will fund you with my credentials and yes I was there.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    7k for a testimonial, during peak holiday season.

Not too bad at all, or am I missing something?

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Shame on the fans who pay to watch football for not showing up.

Give some leniency to the football manager who cannot be bothered doing an interview after a club legends testimonial. Who incidentally is paid to be the manager of Hibs.

Well done to Mowbray for turning up and doing an interview

I’m sure Paul wants people to take their displeasure to fans forums and criticise fellow fans. I’m certain that’s what he’ll want.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'd say credit to all of those who made it along today to pay tribute to Paul. I don't think there's a negative here, the game was never going to sell out, and I reckon Paul would have been very humbled by the turn out.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post

Give some leniency to the football manager who cannot be bothered doing an interview after a club legends testimonial. Who incidentally is paid to be the manager of Hibs.

I’m sure Paul wants people to take their displeasure to fans forums and criticise fellow fans. I’m certain that’s what he’ll want.

Fair

Here Hear

I have massive respect for PH, rate him as a guy and a player, have been following Hibs since before his time and was unable to attend today. Have donated accordingly.

My point is...I’ve attended Testimonial games for as many players who have earned them - most being great occasions and (the earlier ones) hopefully providing some financial boost as required. Is the whole thing, while worthwhile in my opinion, less appealing to some and less likely to draw a crowd reflective of the genuine love of the support?

I bought a ticket but couldn't go.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Nobody knows what anyone elses circumstances are so passing comment on other peoples non attendance is a bit off imo.

Football takes up a lot of peoples times throughout the year and it costs a lot of money. At this time of year STs are being paid for, at least one European game is going to have to be paid for, bairns want the new strip and so on. Add to that a lot of people are either on holiday, saving the last of their spending money to go on holiday or are either spending money on additional childcare during the school holidays or paying for day trips to keep kids entertained. It's a time of year when people have weddings, people will be invited to BBQs, days out with friends, golfers have the start of their club championships about now and so on. Considering all of the above then I think circa 7K for a kick about is pretty good going. It's probably comparable to what we will get in the 1st LC game we play.

Aside from anything else no one has to justify how they spend their spare time to anyone else. I said it earlier but some of the comments on the other thread about folk 'being tight' and so on were just rude. I couldn't afford to go today, that's a fact, not an excuse.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Its an embarrassing crowd for Paul, I'm not having ago at fans as there is a number of contribution factors many of which you mention. The main one for me is having a testimonial as part of your pre season games is nonsense.

Both Paul and Lewis should have had better opponents and both testimonials should have been played in season

not sure who is to blame for making these decisions it's just disappointing

Testimonial Due
    Hmmm you understand but still have a go ?

@hibs.net private member
    I'm in Spain - bugger off.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    £20 today, £23 on Thursday plus lots of people on holiday. I thought we might get 8K but not that surprised all things considered
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

41,000 Rangers fans at Ibrox on Friday night during “the holiday season”. Also have a Euro game on Thursday. Have all the same excuses available that we’re hearing for not attending a legend’s testimonial.

If there’s reason enough to attend, these excuses disappear. If it was a derby, if we had a big name new manager or a Euro place was on the line, the place would’ve been full.

The argument is why people don’t see a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a good reason to show up. It’s a poor show but anybody can come up with flimsy reason not to go. There’s plenty mentioned in this thread already.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandMoaner View Post
    Its an embarrassing crowd for Paul, I'm not having ago at fans as there is a number of contribution factors many of which you mention. The main one for me is having a testimonial as part of your pre season games is nonsense.

Both Paul and Lewis should have had better opponents and both testimonials should have been played in season

not sure who is to blame for making these decisions it's just disappointing
    Tickets should have been cheaper if they wanted more people. I’d imagine the club knew getting high numbers at this stage of the season was unlikely so kept the ticket price at that level to raise the money gained.

Timing and pricing are wrong in my opinion. However, if we get 2k less fans turning up due to the higher cost but more money goes to charity, surely Paul and all fans will be happy?

I’d take more money than more fans for this game. Means Paul gets a decent amount and a decent amount goes to charity. Make it £10 a head for adults and we’d need to double the attendance which would never happen.

I say well done to those that turned up, hats off. I didn’t go because I couldn’t be bothered, not going to lie, I went to Murray and Stevenson’s ones and thought they were pretty stale. Murray’s was actually the best due to the old club legends that returned to play. I think fans still deserve to be entertained even during testimonials, somehow they’ve become glorified friendlies which I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I'd say credit to all of those who made it along today to pay tribute to Paul. I don't think there's a negative here, the game was never going to sell out, and I reckon Paul would have been very humbled by the turn out.
    Spot on.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazD View Post
    41,000 Rangers fans at Ibrox on Friday night during “the holiday season”. Also have a Euro game on Thursday. Have all the same excuses available that we’re hearing for not attending a legend’s testimonial.

If there’s reason enough to attend, these excuses disappear. If it was a derby, if we had a big name new manager or a Euro place was on the line, the place would’ve been full.

The argument is why people don’t see a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a good reason to show up. It’s a poor show but anybody can come up with flimsy reason not to go. There’s plenty mentioned in this thread already.
    Rangers are a much bigger club with a much bigger support.

It was a crap match, against crap opposition.

Of course people would have made more effort for a derby or a big European match, what a daft analogy.

I would change plans to attend those matches. I wouldn't go out my way to watch a crap friendly against a crap team in pre-season. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Also, what would you have said was a respectable crowd?

Jesus, why are we doing this? If you were there, magic. If you weren't, I'd assume if it wasn't because you think Hanlon is an undeserving case and boycotted it.

As a fantastic professional, Paul will know that the Runavik game is far more important to Hibs and anyone who had to choose between today's game and Thursday's has made the correct decision.

Testimonial Due
    Tickets should have been cheaper if they wanted more people. I’d imagine the club knew getting high numbers at this stage of the season was unlikely so kept the ticket price at that level to raise the money gained.

Timing and pricing are wrong in my opinion. However, if we get 2k less fans turning up due to the higher cost but more money goes to charity, surely Paul and all fans will be happy?

I’d take more money than more fans for this game. Means Paul gets a decent amount and a decent amount goes to charity. Make it £10 a head for adults and we’d need to double the attendance which would never happen.

I say well done to those that turned up, hats off. I didn’t go because I couldn’t be bothered, not going to lie, I went to Murray and Stevenson’s ones and thought they were pretty stale. Murray’s was actually the best due to the old club legends that returned to play. I think fans still deserve to be entertained even during testimonials, somehow they’ve become glorified friendlies which I hate.
    Well said. Murray getting one to begin with was ridiculous imo and I didn't go out of principle to that one.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

I don’t need a reason not to go to ER, neither does anybody else. When did supporting a team become a duty? My money and my time are just that, mine. What is the world coming to...

41k fans turned up on Friday night, so many opportunities to poke fun into that but I’ll just avoid that. Real Madrid had more fans turn up for a new player doing keppie uppies, when do we stop comparing ourselves to other teams, I’ve not got the hang of this yet...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Rangers are a much bigger club with a much bigger support.

It was a crap match, against crap opposition.

Of course people would have made more effort for a derby or a big European match, what a daft analogy.

I would change plans to attend those matches. I wouldn't go out my way to watch a crap friendly against a crap team in pre-season. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Also, what would you have said was a respectable crowd?
    Describing a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a crap friendly against a crap team pretty much makes my point.

Congratulations Paul on your day and well done all who could attend or donated.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Describing a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a crap friendly against a crap team pretty much makes my point.
    Badly organised event at a poor time, is that your point?

I watched today’s game on Hibs TV, it was a crap friendly and Blackburn are not a team that excites many a football fan (could be perceived as a crap team). The testimonial is only a label for a friendly these days, up to organisers to change that.

Make it an end of season event against ex-players if we can’t get exciting team to come. Pre-season testimonials are nothing but a glorified friendly with water breaks, endless subs and players who aren’t match sharp.

Badly organised event at a poor time, is that your point?

I watched today’s game on Hibs TV, it was a crap friendly and Blackburn are not a team that excites many a football fan (could be perceived as a crap team). The testimonial is only a label for a friendly these days, up to organisers to change that.

Make it an end of season event against ex-players if we can’t get exciting team to come. Pre-season testimonials are nothing but a glorified friendly with water breaks, endless subs and players who aren’t match sharp.
    Should maybe invited 'The Huns or The Savills ' as Pauls opponents today. Would have guaranteed a larger crowd and a few broken legs

It’s a slightly weird world where people with a job we’d all desperately like to have, that pays considerably more than most of us can dream of ever earning, are given a match in their honour.

I’m not against testimonials, and I’m a big fan of PH, but going along to these games is very much a personal choice. None of us owe Paul Hanlon anything. I was at Lewis’ game, enjoyed it enough and applauded him on his lap of honour, but today I chose to take my daughter to the event in Princes Street Gardens instead. No regrets. Pre-season friendlies are ***** and, for me, there are better things to do on a sunny day than pay through the nose for one.

Testimonial Due
    Imo, modern football players should not get testimonials. Therefore the only reason I would really attend one, is the attractiveness of the fixture. A rubbish time, fairly steep, and and effectively a pre-season warm up against a team I have zero interest in seeing, made it an easy decision to give it a miss.

It was in no way a reflection of my esteem for Hanlon - instead it was a reflection on my feelings towards friendlies.

Paul Hanlon is a wealthy young man, doing an amazing job and I support him everytime he plays for Hibs. Why he needs a testimonial in his mid 20s is beyond me. If he had to have one, should have been later in his career.

But you never answered my question, what would you have said was reasonable crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    7k for a testimonial, during peak holiday season.

Not too bad at all, or am I missing something?
    Excellent for what was a friendly against Blackburn Rovers at the start of the school holidays

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Excellent for what was a friendly against Blackburn Rovers at the start of the school holidays
    Totally agree with this. Not sure what people were expecting tbh.