hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garry O'Connor

First Team Breakthrough biotech's Avatar
    No more second chances. He's a case study for young players - How to waste your talent!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    He manages to say he wasn't there then admit he actually was in the same interview. Absolute idiot and if found to be guillty then deserves the book thrown at him.

There's an irony in the fact that Garry is being widely criticised for being imperfect while at the same time we have a thread lauding the severely flawed George Best. Garry has made mistakes and seems to go on making them but George did the very same so I guess that no one is perfect
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's an irony in the fact that Garry is being widely criticised for being imperfect while at the same time we have a thread lauding the severely flawed George Best. Garry has made mistakes and seems to go on making them but George did the very same so I guess that no one is perfect
    Gary at least could be relied on to turn up.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Genuinely saddened at this. I'm fed up defending him on here because it's one thing after another but let's remember none of us are angels and every single one of us will have our issues, as he clearly has.

I feel sorry for him, not for him himself as such but for his parents, wife and bairns as his name is constinually dragged through the gutter by the press, yes by his own doing but he doesn't get a break. On the other hand for how much longer can the 'daft young laddie' excuses really wash.

As I said, what a sad predicament.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    But hardly Hibs' fault surely? I recall thinking it was a big-hearted gesture from O'Connor at the time. The move was a great one for him and where one must assume he was badly advised or handled was once he got to Russia, where I recall his partner struggled to settle. That could probably have been handled better by either his new club or his agent.

Where I felt Hibs might have done better was to try and hold on to him until the end of the season, given that we were going strong in the Scottish Cup at the time, having won 5-1 at Falkirk and with a semi-final v Hearts looming for which Hibs already knew Riordan, Brown and Killen would be missing. We ended up fielding a shadow team that day.
    I have to disagree with that, they should have given him his cut and let him get on his way, after all, they got a nice fee for him and that should have been enough for a lad that cost nothing!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I have to disagree with that, they should have given him his cut and let him get on his way, after all, they got a nice fee for him and that should have been enough for a lad that cost nothing!
    So the guy says.. here's my cut of the deal. Hibs should have refused that?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought Garry was tremendous towards the end of his first spell at Hibs.

Although he scored a lot of goals second time around (at least in the early part of the season) it saddened me to see the fat mess he had turned into towards the end.

It was evident then he was completely out of control and his professional football career was over.

Quite how the then football management team allowed him to pile on the weight he did is another story.

I cant help feeling sorry for him in his continuing downfall and it must take a lot for him continuing to live a public life with the amount of **** he continue to get thrown at him at every opportunity.

He was yet another childhood prodigy and as a consequence was probably exposed to things before he could handle them and probably want exposed to either the type of influences or experiences that may have tamed him.

I recognise that he is to blame for his own downfall, but as spectacular as it has been, it must be completely beyond him to do anything about it.

He isn't the first and wont be the last to have it all and piss it all away on the never ending road to self destruction.

I would love him to turn into a functioning citizen his wife, family and children could be proud of for what he is rather than was, but it doesn't look good.

O'Connor made a fortune from playing in Russia. He's the one that sniffed it all away.

As for the comparison to George Best; Most of us can separate the genius from the lunacy and recognise both for what they are. Best was a waster and was rightly vilified for idiotic behaviour off the pitch.

...though to be fair to George Best, he never once lamped an Elvis Impersonator in Prestonpans.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

He offered the the money to Hibs, we didn't ask him for it

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    O'Connor made a fortune from playing in Russia. He's the one that sniffed it all away.

As for the comparison to George Best; Most of us can separate the genius from the lunacy and recognise both for what they are. Best was a waster and was rightly vilified for idiotic behaviour off the pitch.

...though to be fair to George Best, he never once lamped an Elvis Impersonator in Prestonpans.
    I think that is really unfair

Judging by the amount of Elvis impersonators that get lamped by professional footballers there is clearly something far wrong with them.

I don't see Lady Gaga impersonators getting anything like that level of hostility :-)

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Just rebuilding his life; really hope this isn't true.
    If it is it'll be a car crash......

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Gary at least could be relied on to turn up.
    Apart from Scotland duty of course!

In a word yes! Who said he made the offer? Maybe RP got the begging bowl out. He must have been 22 at the time and not very bright at that. They got £1.6Mil and that should have been enough.

In a word yes! Who said he made the offer? Maybe RP got the begging bowl out. He must have been 22 at the time and not very bright at that. They got £1.6Mil and that should have been enough.
    So Hibs should have refused 300k. Nice. 😀

The money was GC's in the first place. Do you have any evidence that Hibs demanded it from him?
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 29-11-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Do you have any evidence of this?

Your the one that said he made the offer!

Your the one that said he made the offer!
    Like I say, it was his money. The generally accepted truth at the time was that he gave it to Hibs.

What makes you think that wasn't the case?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Can't feel sorry for him at all.

He's a grown man capable of making his own decisions. Hopefully in time he'll sort himself out for the sake of his family but I don't think he has any career whatsoever in football.

If I was the parent of a young footballer I'd far rather have him listen to Darren McGregor or Lewis Stevenson or any of our first team over Garry. I wouldn't want him anywhere near.

Like I say, it was his money. The generally accepted truth at the time was that he gave it to Hibs.

What makes you think that wasn't the case?

"The generally accepted truth" your dragging them out your ass now. You don't know how this came about!, one things for sure, O'Connor should have been better advised.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

How many 'flawed human beings' - have played for Hibs over the years?

(I'm not going to list anyone - none of my business. And I don't want anyone to start a thread abut 'Wasters who played for the Cabbage', either. )

I think there must be a fair few of us should be grateful that OUR personal issues aren't played out under the spotlight of tabloid surveillance and journalistic judgementalism.

"The generally accepted truth" your dragging them out your ass now. You don't know how this came about!, one things for sure, O'Connor should have been better advised.
    No need for the abuse.

I can accept that his giving away his money voluntarily may have been a Hibs.net myth. However, you seem sure of your case. So I'm asking what makes you think that he didn't.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    Only truth I've seen is that he was recognised on CCTV at the time of the incident. Gary has done plenty daft things in his life, he will be the first to tell you. We don't have to fling him under the bus for the sake of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need for the abuse.

I can accept that his giving away his money voluntarily may have been a Hibs.net myth. However, you seem sure of your case. So I'm asking what makes you think that he didn't.

I don't believe I actually said that, what I did say and have said all along is that he should have been better advised. It seems a bit sad to me that we have an owner who is apparently worth hundreds of millions and they are taking or accepting £300k from a young lad who had nowt and not that clever to boot. I don't think most parents would have allowed their kid to give that money away whether or maybe been persuaded to do so.

Would the extra £300K really have made that much difference to Garry in the long run? Given the money he is alleged to have blown over the years.

Serious question. I've blown relatively decent sums of money on my own vices in the past and looking back I don't think an extra couple of hundred (or even thousand quid) would have made any difference. I just would have spent that as well more than likely.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    I don't believe I actually said that, what I did say and have said all along is that he should have been better advised. It seems a bit sad to me that we have an owner who is apparently worth hundreds of millions and they are taking or accepting £300k from a young lad who had nowt and not that clever to boot. I don't think most parents would have allowed their kid to give that money away whether or maybe been persuaded to do so.
    Had nowt ? He was going to earn a fortune in Moscow. He admitted at one point he had more money than he knew what to do with. I'm sure he got a ridiculously large bonus when he won the cup over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Stokesy lamped one too a few years ago. Every year there is an assault of some sort or another on an Elvis Impersonator written of in the papers.

Anyone know why they seem to generate such rage in some people. I've seen a couple at do's I've been at and I can't understand it myself. i've always enjoyed their take on Elvis. Maybe its like the clowns which some people have a phobia of and seem to get very disturbed by.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Had nowt ? He was going to earn a fortune in Moscow. He admitted at one point he had more money than he knew what to do with. I'm sure he got a ridiculously large bonus when he won the cup over there.
    The lad struck me that he might have a problem holding on to his cash and that unfortunately is what has transpired. I think if he had been properly treated/advised that he might have had something when he retired. Am I the only one that thinks Hibs should have shown a bit more responsibility here? If they had taken the cash and invested it I would have thought more off them

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    The lad struck me that he might have a problem holding on to his cash and that unfortunately is what has transpired. I think if he had been properly treated/advised that he might have had something when he retired. Am I the only one that thinks Hibs should have shown a bit more responsibility here? If they had taken the cash and invested it I would have thought more off them
    Hibs did all they could for Garry. Some things are outwith the reach of employers unfortunately. It does highlight what can go wrong when you get a situation where a young easily led guy comes into a lot of money quickly and isn't able to handle it himself, though I suspect Garry could have had Martin Lewis living in his spare room and he'd still have spanked the lot unfortunately.

It's sad but some people just can't or won't take good advice when it comes to finances and lifestyle.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    They did - they invested it in East Mains....
    I personally just think that Garry felt he had hit the big time & wanted to make a contribution, it was a lot of money
    but he was expecting to make a lot more. Don't have any issue with Hibs accepting the offer.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Hibs did all they could for Garry. Some things are outwith the reach of employers unfortunately. It does highlight what can go wrong when you get a situation where a young easily led guy comes into a lot of money quickly and isn't able to handle it himself, though I suspect Garry could have had Martin Lewis living in his spare room and he'd still have spanked the lot unfortunately.

It's sad but some people just can't or won't take good advice when it comes to finances and lifestyle.
    I get that and I agree with everything you say. Surely that's the time to be taking his fee and banging it in to a pension which he couldn't get his hands on utili age 35.I bet he wished he had that to look forward to !