hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm assuming this is a wind-up?

Although to be fair, I've had a couple of West Coast Rangers fans come to Hibs games with me, and they chose to follow Hibs as their team through here whilst they lived in Edinburgh.

An unusual pair of teams to follow, not easily compatible.
    Yeah. It's his thing. Must be fun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    Yeah. It's his thing. Must be fun.
    Person from Scotland has a dad that supports the biggest club in the country. Imagine that!

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Person from Scotland has a dad that supports the biggest club in the country. Imagine that!
    Speaking as someone whose grandfathers both supported Rangers (as they were then known) that is not the part of your post that surprised me.

You like to see them do well against everyone other than us? Really?

Not many folk would say that.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Nope. As far as I’m aware I’m a third generation Hibee. My kids are 4th Gen. Even though there is a strong lure down here as my in laws are all Spurs fans.

J

Blog Entries
    Never supported anyone else but my dad is a Rangers fan so like to see them do well except against us of course
    You can choose your friends but you can’t choose family.

@hibs.net private member
    I have always been a Hibby - although there does exist on the interweb a picture of me in a Celtic top

There is a story to this though - I was visiting my Uncle Alex in Bermuda who's a Celtic fan. And one day in the dim and distant past my uncle had met the Celtic European Cup winning team off the plane as they stopped in Bermuda on the way to a tour in the USA. He had duly invited them round to his place for a barbecue and it seems that the whole bloody lot of them actually turned up!

The result is a superb set of snaps of the Lisbon Lions lying about pissed in my uncle's living room with my uncle smiling in the background (he'd evidently drunk the lot of them under the table) AND - Billy McNeil the then captain of Celtic left my uncle his training top as a souvenir.

I was suitably impressed by this story and the pictures of the Lisbon Lions in various states of inebriation and agreed to a photo with my uncle and with me with Billy McNeil's top on. To my eternal shame though years later in the age of the internet one of my cousins shared it on Facebook - and it remains there out on the ether to my eternal embarassment

Testimonial Due
    Any of the older guys on here if they're honest would go to Tynecastle when Hibs played away, as back in the 60's it was not easy to get to away games.
    You can say we never supported them when we went, but we went out of respect as your friends came to our game the next week.
    In my crowd we had 2 Hibs, 1 Hearts, 1 Celtic and 2 Rangers, so you could say with us coming to Easter Road instead of 2 paying at the gate there was 6.
    And I still believe that's why we had such big crowds back then!!!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I have always been a Hibby - although there does exist on the interweb a picture of me in a Celtic top

There is a story to this though - I was visiting my Uncle Alex in Bermuda who's a Celtic fan. And one day in the dim and distant past my uncle had met the Celtic European Cup winning team off the plane as they stopped in Bermuda on the way to a tour in the USA. He had duly invited them round to his place for a barbecue and it seems that the whole bloody lot of them actually turned up!

The result is a superb set of snaps of the Lisbon Lions lying about pissed in my uncle's living room with my uncle smiling in the background (he'd evidently drunk the lot of them under the table) AND - Billy McNeil the then captain of Celtic left my uncle his training top as a souvenir.

I was suitably impressed by this story and the pictures of the Lisbon Lions in various states of inebriation and agreed to a photo with my uncle and with me with Billy McNeil's top on. To my eternal shame though years later in the age of the internet one of my cousins shared it on Facebook - and it remains there out on the ether to my eternal embarassment
    Oh, that's a great story and nothing to be embarrassed about.

I'd love to see those photos just for the history of it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by cheltenhamhibee View Post
    Always been a Hibby, following in fathers, grandfathers & uncles footsteps, born with green blood
    This

Left by mutual consent!
    I remember cheering on Aberdeen in the Cup Winners Cup final. The closest I get to supporting another team is if Spartans have a run in the Scottish Cup. Great atmosphere, as the local community comes together. If they ever played Hibs though, I wouldn't have any problem wanting them to lose.

Left by mutual consent!
    I lived in Ross-shire for many years. As a firm believer in supporting your local team I encouraged my son to support Ross County (whilst also knowing my love of Hibs) as he was born up there and has lived his whole life there. Unfortunately he joined the huge bandwagon of glory hunting blue noses

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Grew up in Aberdeen supporting family and I was the only rebel - I remember being pretty upset when they sold Martin Buchan and stomped off to Easter Road and been there ever since......
    Don't tell that to The Rangers fans

Left by mutual consent!
    Makes me think of the late Jock Wallace.

He used to kid on to his dad that he was going to Easter Road, as a cover for the fact he was heading to watch Rangers.

Role reversal, in a sense.

Never supported another team as such but grew up in Glasgow at a school that was predominantly Huns. 10 years old and said to my dad I wanted to get into football and could he take me to a game at Ibrox. The next weekend I was down at Easter Road with him, got my scarf (that I still take to games to this day) and watched us lose 2 nil to Aberdeen yet that was me hooked on Hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never supported anyone else but my dad is a Rangers fan so like to see them do well except against us of course
    Same (Hun father) and same for me - Hibs and only Hibs

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s interesting reading all these stories. I didn’t expect there to be as many as there has been. Ive always been a hibby so I suppose I expected everyone else to have been the same.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s interesting reading all these stories. I didn’t expect there to be as many as there has been. Ive always been a hibby so I suppose I expected everyone else to have been the same.
    I can't remember where I read this - it might have been in the book "Why England Lose" - but people changing teams is a lot more common than you would think.

Football fans are fickle by nature - they go through spells of intense and unwavering dedication then spells of total indifference. Then you have people who go through spells following one team, then spells following another (for whatever reason).

It's probably why Hibs are as proactive as they are at contacting anyone who hasn't renewed a season ticket - hanging onto your existing fans and adding more is the way to grow a club, and hanging onto the existing fans is the bit that is easiest overlooked.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm just waiting to see if there is still anyone who has both Hearts and Hibs season tickets and go to watch both teams....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They possibly were at one point but fortunately for most of us that club died in 2012.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I can't remember where I read this - it might have been in the book "Why England Lose" - but people changing teams is a lot more common than you would think.

Football fans are fickle by nature - they go through spells of intense and unwavering dedication then spells of total indifference. Then you have people who go through spells following one team, then spells following another (for whatever reason).

It's probably why Hibs are as proactive as they are at contacting anyone who hasn't renewed a season ticket - hanging onto your existing fans and adding more is the way to grow a club, and hanging onto the existing fans is the bit that is easiest overlooked.
    I understand folk changing their mind as kids, but not as an adult.

United we stand here....

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    On the subject of wanting other teams to do well, my "wee team" are Arbroath given I grew up in Carnoustie (though if Carnoustie Panmure ever join the pyramid my alliance will shiftly shift to them). Now I live down here I want Stenhousemuir to do well (the ground is 10 mins walk away) and to a lesser extent Falkirk (AFTER we were promoted - don't kill me).

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I'm just waiting to see if there is still anyone who has both Hearts and Hibs season tickets and go to watch both teams....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not hearts but I do still go to Celtic games from time to time (big European ties and some oldfirm games).

Have always followed Hibs through my Dad's indoctrination. Brought up in England I went to various matches with my friends but never took to any as I did Hibs, (never took to English football like Scottish either). I'm more surprised (and very happy) my son (with Mixu left) has followed suit given its another generation down. He has never succumbed to following the teams in his area, Burnley, Blackburn, Man U, Man City etc...

1970 - 1985 Partick Thistle
    1985 - death (TBA) Hibs

Just like having two tidy birds.
    That both let you down a lot.
    Would love to see Patrick Thistle win something wi my Dad.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    My Dad is a Hibs fan and took me along before as a kid so always been Hibs for me, but I know a guy from school who was Celtic and then decided to change to Rangers at High School. Also know of a Rangers fan who went to quite a few games suddenly change to being a St Johnstone fan when in his 30’s.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Born and bred hibs fan and always will be , Every single member of my family for about a hundred years have bled green , Not a chance was i going to be anything other than a hibs fan , I've never EVER liked another football club on this planet as much as i love the hibs

My kids are exactly the same and so will their kids

Never ever had a fascination with any other club

Have supported Hibs, almost since becoming interested in football, never ever had any liking for another club, but must have been reasonably interested in football before starting on my Hibernian journey (40 years ago next month), first aware of football during the Argentina 78 debacle, and I can remember listening on radio when Liverpool played Nottm Forest in a European Cup tie, apparently that was 40 years ago this week, so probably the first club game I can recall. A month later I was taking my seat for first game at Easter Rd, purely by chance it was Hibs at home that week - no family allegiances to direct me. A week later and I would probably have been condemned to a life of Jamboism.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    1970 - 1985 Partick Thistle
    1985 - death (TBA) Hibs

Just like having two tidy birds.
    That both let you down a lot.
    Would love to see Patrick Thistle win something wi my Dad.
    What made you switch from Thistle to Hibs ?

Confession time.. I was a Rangers fan till the early 90's so just into my 20's I started to see the light. Living in Edinburgh, didnt really get what the sectarian nonsense there was until I started to learn and it became abhorent to me that I could support a team with such horrendous foundations. Add to that the support of the Union, I turned to the team my Grandad supported. Coming from Balerno, all my pals are Jambos, it would have been easier, but I knew quickly I had made the right decision.

I know you should never change your team etc, but thank Christ I did. Such miserable lows and ultimate highs supporting the Hibees. My son and two daughters, all now in their teens support Hibs. Pride of place in my house is a framed picture of that Sir David Gray moment with my son and I's match tickets with the message "when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, we were there."

Will be a Hibee till I die.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Confession time.. I was a Rangers fan till the early 90's so just into my 20's I started to see the light. Living in Edinburgh, didnt really get what the sectarian nonsense there was until I started to learn and it became abhorent to me that I could support a team with such horrendous foundations. Add to that the support of the Union, I turned to the team my Grandad supported. Coming from Balerno, all my pals are Jambos, it would have been easier, but I knew quickly I had made the right decision.

I know you should never change your team etc, but thank Christ I did. Such miserable lows and ultimate highs supporting the Hibees. My son and two daughters, all now in their teens support Hibs. Pride of place in my house is a framed picture of that Sir David Gray moment with my son and I's match tickets with the message "when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup, we were there."

Will be a Hibee till I die.
    Fair play for sharing..and can completely
    Understand someone growing out of the hateful views of such a club...also impressed you chose us when the dark side would have been an easy choice if that’s where your mates allegiances were ..