hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Did you ever support another Scottish team?

My dad wasn't a football fan so I was influenced by TV and conversations at my primary school.

Given that I was at Holy Cross in the 60s, and Celtc were pretty much all conquering, I started "supporting" them when they won the European Cup, and there was a photo of me getting a Celtc strip for my 10th birthday in the February.

When Aberdeen beat them 3-1 in the 1970 SC Final, I threw a tantrum and when they lost to Feyenoord in the European Cup final the next month, I stopped "supporting" them. I was still 10 and had never been to a football match.

My pals at school started supporting Hibs soon after so I decided to follow suit and the rest is history.

There. I've said it. You've witnessed catharsis!
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 12-09-2018 at 03:45 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    That must feel like you’ve just been to confession!

I just supported who my dad did.

He supported who his dad did.

And so on back to the days prior to WW1.

Dunno if anyone in the family took an interest back in 1875 though!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My dad wasn't a football fan so I was influenced by TV and conversations at my primary school.

Given that I was at Holy Cross in the 60s, and Celtc were pretty much all conquering, I started "supporting" them when they won the European Cup, and there was a photo of me getting a Celtc strip for my 10th birthday in the February.

When Aberdeen beat them 3-1 in the 1970 SC Final, I threw a tantrum and when they lost to Feyenoord in the European Cup final the next month, I stopped "supporting" them. I was still 10 and had never been to a football match..

My pals at school started supporting Hibs soon after so I decided to follow suit and the rest is history.

I was the same as you. Celtc, just because. And also, partly out of rebellion against the family tradition of being Hibbies. I cringe now at the memory of my Granda taking me to the LC final in 69, and him having to suffer my singing and dancing. Even worse that we left at 6-0, and didn't know Hibs had scored 2 late goals until we got home.

But then folk like the guy in my avatar changed all that. By the time the LC win in 72 came around, I was a glory-hunter like all Hobos.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Not exactly support another team, but my maternal grandmother was born in a flat in Gorgie Road overlooking Tynecastle. One Christmas she had knitted my older brother and me maroon and white scarves. It was only after my brother asked for a green and white one that things became clearer, it was also easier to get to Easter Road as the number 13 bus stopped at the end of the street we lived on
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I was nominally a Celtic fan because of my Dad (who was from Cumbernauld) up until my early teens. I say nominally because I had zero interest in football up until about 13 when I went to see Dundee Utd of all teams and fell in love with the atmosphere. Decided from thereon I'd make my own choice as to who to support, and went for Hibs as I was originally from Edinburgh. Dad's now a fully converted Hibs fan as well.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    If you have been affected by any of the messages on this thread, please get in touch with Adrian Chiles...

@hibs.net private member cheltenhamhibee's Avatar
    Always been a Hibby, following in fathers, grandfathers & uncles footsteps, born with green blood

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Hearts

Grew up in Aberdeen supporting family and I was the only rebel - I remember being pretty upset when they sold Martin Buchan and stomped off to Easter Road and been there ever since......

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Hibs are the only team I support but living in Dunfermline for the last ten years I have half heartedly adopted them as my second team in as much as I look out for their results and want them to do well.

Hibee all my days. I didn't know until I was 19 that my dad was a jambo, then switched to Hibs. My younger brother was also a jambo into his teens but now sits beside me at ER.

That's two saved from the dark side😁😁

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Hearts

Was born and and brought up in Gorgie used to climb over the old school wall get lift overs and skip in after the Tivoli to Tinycastle it was a dump even then. My first strip was a Hearts strip. My Dad used to bang on about Gordon Smith and the famous five took me to my first game at Easter Road HIBS v Leeds Utd 1968. As soon as I saw the green strips with the white sleeves running out under the floodlights in front of 40000 I thought to myself that’s my team! Never been away since. Hibee till I die!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Never. and had good misguided friend as a Jambo and pressure from other peers this would be 1986.
    The SC in 2016 made life as a Hibee infinately better.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Me dad and I used to go to ER and Tynie week about in the early sixties. Lots of folk did that. We used to encounter the same faces on the terraces at both grounds. Better atmosphere at Gorgie I have to say.
    So I was up cheering the Hearts and still have good memories of Tommy Traynor and Jim Cruikshank. Come the first Derby though and I plumped for Hibs. It was because we were underdogs at that time.
    And the white sleeves had something to do with it too!

Left by mutual consent!
    At school, aberdeen, was fed up with the catholic/protestant BS, ended up getting grief from both....

Supported brighton when i lived down there, came home in 2006 and been a nomad until this season...

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    When I was younger, I supported Hibs Reserves and went to see them when my ‘big’ team were playing away.

@hibs.net private member

When Aberdeen beat them 3-1 in the 1970 SC Final, I threw a tantrum and when they lost to Feyenoord in the European Cup final the next month, I stopped "supporting" them. I was still 10 and had never been to a football match.

Not sure if there are any support groups for this type of horrifying start to life but hopefully the love of the Hibernian family will make you forget

I didn't grow up in Edinburgh (although I was born here) and am of an age where the glory hunting kids grew up supporting Aberdeen - and I sort of, eh, followed the sheep, as did my brother.

In my early to mid teens I saw the light, came to my senses and dragged him along with me. Every member of our family since has followed suit.

It's quite funny because if anyone ever mentions to him that he once had a fondness for Aberdeen he totally hates it, whereas I just shrug and accept it. I was wee and didn't know any better. I made a fully informed decision regarding the correct path to follow as soon as I was capable, and I will ensure that nobody in my family is allowed to do likewise.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Grew up in West Lothian and my parents were hell-bent on me not being dragged into the Rangers/Celtc nonsense. My dad wasn't a football fan per se (other than a general love of the game), nor was my mum - dad's family were catholic and mostly Celtc fans, whilst my mum's side are all protestant and either Hearts/Rangers fans.

My dad was involved in the development of Almondvale, so he took me to watch Livingston when they appeared in 95. Followed them home and away until I went to University. Got utterly scunnered after the 2nd administration and all of the off-field garbage, including the screwing over of local businesses. It was then that a friend took me along to Easter Road and I enjoyed football again for the first time in a while.

I'd be lying if I said I don't still follow Livingston to this day...

My old man and grandad were huge Hibbys so i didn't have much choice. I usually support anyone playing Hearts or Rangers unless they're playing each other in which case i become a big fan of red cards.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar

Another HC boy from the 60's here, but a bit further up the age food chain

Sorry to add to the other confessors on the thread, as I also was a yam as a child. Not my fault, I was dragged there by an uncle and was forced to endure what has already been described as a midden even way back then. I vaguely remember being at the League decider against Killie... so I have some good memories . I stopped going when I was 12 and didn't go to any footy for 3 years until persuaded by school buds along to Easter Road... Hibs v Napoli. The rest is history... 50 years worth

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    St. Johnstone mainly because we went to Perth on holiday. I switched to Hibs the summer of '72... I was ten.

When I was at school almost everyone supported Hibs or Celtic, we had a few Italians so there was a fair few Juventus, Inter and Milan fans as well. There were a few Hearts fans but, unsurpisingly given my school, I can't recall any Rangers fans.

I was always a Hibs fan and over the years dragged a few of the Italian guys along and converted 1 or 2. I did lose interest in Hibs for a spell between 2000ish and 2004. I remember not being all that bothered when we lost the SC final to Celtic in 2001 which seems totally ridiculous now. I think a lot of it was because I was playing football on Saturdays, at an age at which other things held more interest than football and it was almost 'cool' to slag Scottish football. I find it quite funny now that I was absent or at least only a semi regular when we had one of our best spells in relatively recent years; I missed 6-2 ffs!

It was probably moving away from Edinburgh in 2004 that made me start supporting Hibs properly again. It became an adventure again and it was exciting to tell people I supported a different team from the norm in a new city.

Maybe support is a bit strong, but I'm going to say Dumbarton. My introduction to football was Panini, all the kids in my class had the stickers even though we were very little and most had never even seen a football match. Dumbarton were in the premier league back then and had an elephant on their badge (and I liked elephants) - I was sold! They were my team and it was their score I wanted to know. I also had a soft spot for Coventry City.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Celtic, as a 10 year old Liverpool supporter they caught my attention in 1977 when we signed Dalglish.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Always been a Hibs fan. Had a mate who was a Hibs fan when I was about 9 or 10.. Think we beat Celtic and Marc Libbra scored? I got back from the game, went to his house and he told me he was now a Hearts fan. I laughed and then he went away and put the full kit on. He’s no longer my mate

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Born a Hibby and will die a Hibby but I do support every team that plays Hearts every week 😜
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Up until about 12 or 13 I'd have said I was a Rangers "sympathiser", if anything. My grandad was a blue nose, so I loosely followed them because it gave me a bond with him. To be honest, I had no real interest in Scottish football and was far more interested in Everton. I started going to watch Hibs with my mates when I was 15/16, so can say that Hibs are categorically the only team I've ever supported.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

I've managed to convert 2 Rangers Fans (one of whom had parents in the Orange Lodge), 2 Celtc Fans and a Dynamo Dresden Fan to the Hibby side.

I do feel a bit guilty sometimes

@hibs.net private member
    I know a guy who, as a grown man, gave up supporting rangers and started supporting hearts. A real f*nny’s f*nny. A throbber’s throbber.

Probably the kind of guy who spends the vast majority of his life on his main rivals forum racking up a massive post count and creaming himself that he is undercover.

The reason for the change? Rangers signed Mo Johnston.

Now passes himself off as Mr super jambo..

Absolutely embarrassing.

He’s probably reading this now....