hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edinburgh City

Edinburgh City

Think I will take a wee trip down to Meadowbank today and watch Edinburgh City. Some Hibs interest too!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Wasnt the best was it? The only real entertainment was provided by Citys under 11 drummer and his mob and Arbroaths crew of about 10 that rose to the challenge.

Really poor game.

Incidently most of those going through the turnstyle seemed to be Hibs and Hearts fans taking advantage of the reduced entrance price for season ticket holders.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Hope they lose every game and go back to the juniors. Dont want anyone taking fans/income from us

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hope they lose every game and go back to the juniors. Dont want anyone taking fans/income from us
    I disagree, I want them to do well. The more teams away from the Glasgow home the better.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I would suggest that's as (un)likely to happen with them in the league structure as it was when they were in the lowland league.

First Team Breakthrough chasitup's Avatar
    I think they offered reduced entry to Hibs and Hearts supporters when their team were away from home. Not taking anything from anyone really.

What a nice thing to say... By the way they came from the Senior set up no the juniors

Whats happening with Meadowbank? Where will they go when it gets flattened?

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Whats happening with Meadowbank? Where will they go when it gets flattened?
    After a concerted campaign apparently it's now not being flattened any more

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Why should we wish potential rivals well. They use the old Loch Inn as a social club and its open on our match days.

There are Hibs fans using it pre match instead of the Hibs Club or the Behind the Goals thereby taking income from HFC and the supporters club.

Why should we wish potential rivals well. They use the old Loch Inn as a social club and its open on our match days.

There are Hibs fans using it pre match instead of the Hibs Club or the Behind the Goals thereby taking income from HFC and the supporters club.
    Thank **** it's open on match days. I go in after every match and get hms misery to pick me up after the crowds have gone away. It's full of hibs fans and they jab a pool table and a jukebox. What's not to like.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar

There's a difference between wishing them well and not wishing them to drop out of the league system. The Hibs club and btg face competition from all the pubs on easter road. It's up to our club to present a product on the park and in the catering and pre match bars that mean competition are feeding off scraps rather than eating into our profits. Edinburgh City are no threat at all on either front imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    There's a difference between wishing them well and not wishing them to drop out of the league system. The Hibs club and btg face competition from all the pubs on easter road. It's up to our club to present a product on the park and in the catering and pre match bars that mean competition are feeding off scraps rather than eating into our profits. Edinburgh City are no threat at all on either front imo.
    And half the time btg isn't open after the game.

United we stand here....

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Normally I'd have wished City well but Arbroath were my local team growing up.

Two Hibs players in the defence which has one of the lowest goal against stat.in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Thank **** it's open on match days. I go in after every match and get hms misery to pick me up after the crowds have gone away. It's full of hibs fans and they jab a pool table and a jukebox. What's not to like.
    We are in there matchdays as well. Started using BTG after the Loch Inn closed, but gave up on that when they started serving John Smiths.

City serve a nice pint of Belhaven, decent screens to watch the early game, and you can get a seat.

What's not to like!

Hahahahahahaha!

BTG is rancid. Stale wishy washy lager and a crap atmosphere.

As for the Hibs Club, blazered goons.

Punters should use the pubs down ER, Leith Walk and surrounding areas. Nothing better pre and post match.

Testimonial Due

Potential rivals? You bettin' on them to gain promotion x 3?

@hibs.net private member
    We weren't playing today.
    You can still watch them in the Lowland League if relegated.

They have never been a Junior club. They came from the East Seniors!

@hibs.net private member
    The way I see it is, any team that has our players on loan I want them to do well because it will help our players out on loan. Couldn't see anyone choosing Edinburgh city over hibs or even the sh**e from Gorgie well.. I would choose to support Edinburgh city if it was down to them and Edinburgh city .. but you get what I mean. So that being said.. good luck to them.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

By that rational you would like all pubs near Easter Road and food establishments to be closed also on March Day.

J

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    They have never been a Junior club. They came from the East Seniors!
    They were a Junior club way back when I was a bairn. Played at City Park.

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    They were a Junior club way back when I was a bairn. Played at City Park.

The Edinburgh City that plays now shares the name with the club that played home games at City Park in the Scottish League in the 1930s and Juniors in the 1940s, but they are two distinct entities. The old club went out of existence in the 1950s. The new Edinburgh City were in fact Postal United, a club that played in the East of Scotland League. Postal changed their name to Edinburgh City; can't recall when but Postal were still playing as Postal in the 1980s.

Postal played at the Civil Service Sports Ground at Marine Drive. I can't recall if they played as Edinburgh City there. I only remember Edinburgh City playing at Fernieside before they moved into Meadowbank. It was the Meadowbank move that got them full membership of the SFA, and the rest is history.

Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    The Edinburgh City that plays now shares the name with the club that played home games at City Park in the Scottish League in the 1930s and Juniors in the 1940s, but they are two distinct entities. The old club went out of existence in the 1950s.
    Ah, thanks for that.
    A bit like Rangers, then??

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    What was the attendance yesterday?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    Ah, thanks for that.
    A bit like Rangers, then??
    Far be it from me to say.

But while I remember, at point they also merged with Liberton Cropley -- in the 1990s sometime? They really have had a pretty convoluted history.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Postal changed their name to Edinburgh City in 1986. Edinburgh City had ceased to be a football club in the mid 50s (after the council refused to renew the lease on City Park). Edinburgh City Football club Ltd remained as a social club and gave Postal the right to use the name in 1986.

The gate yesterday was 481.

What a strange outlook. You'll be wanting the boozers on ER and Leith Walk closed next. Good luck to Edinburgh City.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Wasnt the best was it? The only real entertainment was provided by Citys under 11 drummer and his mob and Arbroaths crew of about 10 that rose to the challenge.

Really poor game.

Incidently most of those going through the turnstyle seemed to be Hibs and Hearts fans taking advantage of the reduced entrance price for season ticket holders.
    Arbroath started much better and deserved their win. Was a wee bit disappointed in Porteous our loan player, he looked a bit lethargic and needs to get more aggressive as a centre back. Hope that was just a one-off as I'd heard good reports on him. Arbroath had good width and a bit of balance in their team. They might not be far away from the top come the end of the season.