hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    It's one thing to have a bit of a rant at the whole team from the stands after the final whistle if it's been a ***** performance, quite another to boo an individual player during a game. That's the behaviour of a moron.

I think Whittaker's footballing brain is still there but he's not what he was physically and certainly shouldn't be played at right back ever again.

A back up DMC should be the extent of his role these days IMO.

2. Log in to remove the advert

2 good games in a row. Sadly an away game and a home game with a crap crowd so no one actually seen them and still thinks he's rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo27 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think abuse was anywhere near as bad as what op making out.

Yes there were a few mumerings when he was giving the ball away but at this present time he is miles off the pace. The fact Martin started before him tells its own story.
    I agree the abuse was not too bad just a few grumbles however I disagree he was off the pace. I thought we did just fine and was one of the better players in the second half when it appeared half the Hibs team went missing.

Whitaker should 100% not be getting booed. However, he should also 100% be nowhere near our 1st team squad. He’s a player in rapid decline. Let’s not forget he is a FULL BACK. If he is not good enough to play full back he should not be playing. Period!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    Whitaker should 100% not be getting booed. However, he should also 100% be nowhere near our 1st team squad. He’s a player in rapid decline. Let’s not forget he is a FULL BACK. If he is not good enough to play full back he should not be playing. Period!

He played midfield in the UEFA cup final. He also put in some great midfield performances in the run in last year. Home against Kilmarnock and away against Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    He's clearly not good enough but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him. Lennon persisting with him is a far bigger crime than his legs going
    Clearly not good enough? What did he do wrong yesterday?

Have to agree with some folk. I'm not a pro Whittaker person and I think our use of him has a bit more than I would like at this point, however I think to actively boo and jeer him at times is poor. He's a Hibs player and should be supported like the rest of them. And actually I thought yesterday he was okay, compared to some other games. Done a job.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    He's clearly not good enough but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him. Lennon persisting with him is a far bigger crime than his legs going
    Dear oh dear, he has had and will continue to have decent games whether that would be as a starter or a back up player who knows. To say he is clearly not good enough is a crock, his play before yesterdays winning goal was excellent.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

Load of crap. Period.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I think half the problem is that people remember the Whittaker from his first spell at the club and see a player now who is very different to the one he was then. He doesn't have the pace to play full back the way he did 10 to 15 years ago, in fact I'm not even sure that's his best position any more. That's not to say that he isn't still a decent player at this level.

The issue I have with Whittaker is that, while he will provide decent squad cover in a number of positions this year, he is likely to be earning the wage of a key first team player. In that respect he is not particularly good value for money as you could probably find someone else to do the same job a lot more cheaply. That's not really his fault though, and the fact he's less than half way through a three year contract isn't his fault either.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Dear oh dear, he has had and will continue to have decent games whether that would be as a starter or a back up player who knows. To say he is clearly not good enough is a crock, his play before yesterdays winning goal was excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Clearly not good enough? What did he do wrong yesterday?

So because he doesn't make an arse of himself for a game that means he should be playing? I honestly cannot believe anyone who has watched him over the last year can say he is good enough to play at this level still. Slow and ponderous on the ball in midfield and people fly past him far too easily at right back so again, what does he actually do that's Good? Oh aye plays a few positions

First Team Breakthrough
    So because he doesn't make an arse of himself for a game that means he should be playing? I honestly cannot believe anyone who has watched him over the last year can say he is good enough to play at this level still. Slow and ponderous on the ball in midfield and people fly past him far too easily at right back so again, what does he actually do that's Good? Oh aye plays a few positions
    Spot on.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Just like Martin Boyle, a championship player.

Not good enough for SPL.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    He has clearly shown he can play at this level that isnt to say he hasnt had poor games. He is technically one of our best players, two footed and can play in a number of positions. Thought he was excellent in the Celtic win at the end of the season. No one is saying he should be a starter however he can clearly play at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    I think half the problem is that people remember the Whittaker from his first spell at the club and see a player now who is very different to the one he was then. He doesn't have the pace to play full back the way he did 10 to 15 years ago, in fact I'm not even sure that's his best position any more. That's not to say that he isn't still a decent player at this level.

The issue I have with Whittaker is that, while he will provide decent squad cover in a number of positions this year, he is likely to be earning the wage of a key first team player. In that respect he is not particularly good value for money as you could probably find someone else to do the same job a lot more cheaply. That's not really his fault though, and the fact he's less than half way through a three year contract isn't his fault either.
    Would that someone else have the same knowledge and experience of being a top pro in the game to pass on to other players.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

You’re entitled to your opinion but booing him while playing for Hibs is just stupid. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Load of crap. Period.
    Based on what exactly? His absolutely terrific performances so far this season?

He just needs either the Since1875 Singing Section or the East Stand Singing Section (or both) to create a song for him. Otherwise he will end up like Dylan, finding out too late that he was appreciated by the majority of fans.

I always felt for Dylan having to listen to endless rounds of SJM when he was running the show in the middle of the park. Every player likes to feel their contribution is appreciated by supporters and if you are only getting negative feedback it starts to break down the bond between the players and the fans.

Anybody suggest a Steven Whittaker tune?

Based on what exactly? His absolutely terrific performances so far this season?

Maybe the part where you said he was a full back and if he can't play there he shouldn't be playing?

Or the fact you used the word 'period' which is quite weird?

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Thing is that these experts influence others around them. We had one behind us yesterday. By the end of the match his son was at it as well.
    God forbid someone gives their opinion on a player eh no one claims to be an expert.

@hibs.net private member
    God forbid someone gives their opinion on a player eh no one claims to be an expert.
    No problem with someone giving their opinion in a conversation with their pals. I have when it is shrieked at the top of their voice though.

Nothing wrong with giving an opinion, screaming like a little bitch whenever a player makes a mistake gets right on my tits. Grown men as well, veins popping out their necks, absolute heart attack material.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Maybe the part where you said he was a full back and if he can't play there he shouldn't be playing?

Or the fact you used the word 'period' which is quite weird?
    He is a full back and if he’s not good enough to play there he shouldn’t be playing. Would you play a striker at full back if he was unable to play striker anymore? Don’t think you would.

@hibs.net private member
    He is a full back and if he’s not good enough to play there he shouldn’t be playing. Would you play a striker at full back if he was unable to play striker anymore? Don’t think you would.

The days of a player only being able to play one position are gone...also Whittaker has never been a one position player - from a young age he has played many defensive (both sides), and midfield roles in his career ....

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Load of crap. Period.
    Is this a reference to the colour maroon?

We're all entitled to an opinion. What I don't understand is why Whittaker seems to be the latest fall guy for those who, for reasons best known to themselves, always need to have one. If his best days weren't behind him he wouldn't be back, but he always gives 100% and never hides; furthermore he was part of a great League Cup winning side. He deserves respect from every Hibs supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    I think too much is made of whether folk have or haven't played before. Not having played before doesn't mean your opinion on a player is irrelevant and it certainly doesn't excuse yelling abuse at a player.
    Never played formally after primary school but that doesn't mean I can't pass judgement, even if it is not "expert" judgement.
    Never laid an egg in my life but I'm a good judge of a decent omelette.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    We're all entitled to an opinion. What I don't understand is why Whittaker seems to be the latest fall guy for those who, for reasons best known to themselves, always need to have one. If his best days weren't behind him he wouldn't be back, but he always gives 100% and never hides; furthermore he was part of a great League Cup winning side. He deserves respect from every Hibs supporter.
    Good post - Whittaker has had some poorer games - I’m sure he will admit that - yet, he did well on Sunday. Was excellent when he came on in Greece and has had a few other decent contributions this season. People seem to follow general views (great or poor- nothing in between) rather than the nuances of the game. There have been players who have struggled to perform and are largely left without comment. Whittaker is always available for the ball , whether he is on form or not..I’m expecting that he will make important contributions this season

I've never written, acted in, directed or produced a movie. But if I sit through one at the cinema, then tell my pals down the pub I thought it was Tom Kite, no one EVER turns around and says what do you know about movies, you've never been there and done it!?!?

Why some folk think you have to have been a professional football player before you're allowed to have a NEGATIVE opinion on a player/game really rips ma knitting!

The same folk that spout this clap trap don't seem to get the irony of them having positive opinions of players/managers etc - despite the fact these people haven't played the game either!

Having said that I'm against booing our own players during a game.

It's just the two faced nature of those lecturing from on high that really annoys me

*Perhaps this should be on the peeves thread.🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post
    Morning Steven!