hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holt

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe not poor but he certainly wasn't great. I love the big man to bits but he's just not got the sharpness now.
    Wow, there's more of you!

2. Log in to remove the advert

I understand the positive comments about Holt - experience , link up play etc but watching on Hibs TV today I was frustrated about how long it took us to put the result beyond doubt and on numerous occasions I was thinking if only Dom Malonga or Stokes was there instead of Holt . If Holt hadn`t been signed from the English league and known by so many Sky viewers I doubt so many people would almost forget his lack of pace , complaining to refs and teammates etc and only focus on his strong points .

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Wow, there's more of you!
    Behave eh? He was different class againt hearts but he can't do it every week. Unlike others he has an excuse, he's 35, not exactly built like an athlete and has come back from a bad injury. I've never been so happy for a Hibs player to score a goal than I was when Holty scored against hearts.

I'd start him every week and I absolutely love what he brings to Hibs but I'm not having it that he was man of the match today.

@hibs.net private member Silver Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Starts against Hearts we win 3-1
    Doesn't start against St Mirren we look terrible.
    Starts again today and we win 3-1 and look good.

There's a lot more to football than goals and Holts hold up play, the flick ons he wins or just being a nuisance with the defender and dummying the ball set us up many attacks today. He also had a header cleared off the line.

yep, said it for a while, argued with my pal about it too, we play better with him in the team, someone produce the stats, with/without him please I'm sure we have secured more points with him

Top guy Holt. Professional, clever, aware, leader, class act ...watch and appreciate quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Maybe not poor but he certainly wasn't great. I love the big man to bits but he's just not got the sharpness now.
    And if he had that sharpness, do you think he'd be anywhere near Easter Road ? Not a chance. We're a Scottish Championship side and IMO fortunate to have player of Holts' experience and commitment. Plays every game like he's one of our own. Can we ask for any more than that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    And if he had that sharpness, do you think he'd be anywhere near Easter Road ? Not a chance. We're a Scottish Championship side and IMO fortunate to have player of Holts' experience and commitment. Plays every game like he's one of our own. Can we ask for any more than that ?
    We can`t ask any more of Holt if he`s at the maximum fitness level he feels he can get to but we can certainly hope to have better next season whichever league we`re in . Malonga and then Stokes scored more goals and were more entertaining players so even if we don`t go up I`m certainly hoping to see better strikers than Holt next season .

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Haven't read thread, but we play better with Holt in the team.

Yep, he should score more, but, hey it's the Scottish 1st div. He does ok got me

Anyone thinking Holt had a poor game should watch the BBC highlights on Sportscene.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    That's not the point. I'm not criticising Holt.

Seems to be coming on to a game fitness and form at right time like holt would like to see keatings up front in a three with holt and Cummings

Wasn't sure about Holt at the beginning, but for or a 35 yr old, astonishing appetite and application. Many players would have gone into their shell after that thump he got in 1st min.

A proper footballer who's a great example to others.
    Zlatan is also 35..

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Were you facing the right way?
    Made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Anyone thinking Holt had a poor game should watch the BBC highlights on Sportscene.
    Has anyone sad he had a poor game ? Don`t think so . Some said he didn`t deserve to be MOM which he didn`t get anyway . We all have different opinions as fans about how Holt has performed so far this season but whatever we think I`m sure that Neil Lennon was hoping for much more when we signed him . This time last year there were very mixed opinions here about Stokes but he finished season strongly not just in the cup final . Hopefully Holt can make a similar impact in the league and cup this year .

Holt is the type of player Hibs have been crying out for years. A no nonsense in-your-face competitor who'll ruffle feathers, mix it with opposition hard men and has zero respect for billy-no-marks up here in Scotland. He does the grunt work that allows others to play, but has a great footballing brain to go with it.

For too long, Hibs have been seen as a soft touch to poor teams who have bullied us - especially the Yams. Grant Holt is payback time

Quote Originally Posted by Still Smiling View Post
    Top guy Holt. Professional, clever, aware, leader, class act ...watch and appreciate quality!

Grant if your'e looking in the vast majority of us realise how good you are and really appreciate the hard work you are doing as a target front man for us. Personally I think you will be remembered as a cult hero for many years to come. You led by example against the 'big team' and bullied them and tormented them and it was a memorable historic game.

Keep up the sterling good work Holty!!! Legend.

glory glory

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Has anyone sad he had a poor game ? Don`t think so . Some said he didn`t deserve to be MOM which he didn`t get anyway . We all have different opinions as fans about how Holt has performed so far this season but whatever we think I`m sure that Neil Lennon was hoping for much more when we signed him . This time last year there were very mixed opinions here about Stokes but he finished season strongly not just in the cup final . Hopefully Holt can make a similar impact in the league and cup this year .
    Read the thread again, someone said he had a poor game!

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    The big guy was brilliant today. Becoming more and more a key player for Hibs. Love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Read the thread again, someone said he had a poor game!
    Guilty as charged!

I said on another thread that we'd played very well as a team but felt Holt and Cummings were poor with little coming off for them.

Watching back that is harsh on both. I missed Holts passage of play with Keatings at the game for example. So I can agree he wasn't poor, still nowhere near outstanding however 😉

Quote Originally Posted by skyhibs View Post
    Holt is not for me... offered nothing today..... we need another goal scorer.. also didn't think Cummings was too interested today ... ambrose looks class though, much better than most today
    Dearie me...all entitled to our opinions but think u were at a different game. Holt was brilliant today and Cummings done fine too apart from.his 5 min meltdown

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    If Holt had more pace he simply wouldn't be playing for us. I've always liked him. He's a nuisance, he can hold up the ball, and his link-up play and ability to spot a pass is superb. He's also the kind of guy who's a big voice on the park, which we seem to have very little of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Starts against Hearts we win 3-1
    Doesn't start against St Mirren we look terrible.
    Starts again today and we win 3-1 and look good.

There's a lot more to football than goals and Holts hold up play, the flick ons he wins or just being a nuisance with the defender and dummying the ball set us up many attacks today. He also had a header cleared off the line.
    Spot on Saul - the best way to view Holts overall contribution is we always look a far poorer team without him in the starting 11 - there is so much more to him than just goals. Look at how well Mcginn played today for example in comparison to weds night - Holts movement and flicks and presence bring others into the game. Can't understand why some still criticise the big man...when fit it's gotta be him and JC up top for me.

Holt is playing well just now. I think he's staying more central and it makes all the difference.

It was his flick on to McGinn that led to the sending off. When was the last time we saw one of our central midfield players bursting a gut to get beyond the strikers like that? So simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I just have a feeling that Grant Holt is going to score some of our most important goals of the season in the weeks ahead.
    I really hope he does mate as the big fella deserves it for his performances of late

We can`t ask any more of Holt if he`s at the maximum fitness level he feels he can get to but we can certainly hope to have better next season whichever league we`re in . Malonga and then Stokes scored more goals and were more entertaining players so even if we don`t go up I`m certainly hoping to see better strikers than Holt next season .
    Yet both Malonga and Stokes could be either sublime.or pathetically poor. I never leave a match thinking Holt is either - but the big guy gives it 110% every week. He is exactly what we need to get out of this division imo

I wasn't a fan of Grant Holt. But I think recently hes really started to come into his own. He isn't a goalscorer anymore and I think it took him a while to notice that and is now happy to focus on going out to bully opposition and support his team mates and since then he's been exceptional and really key to some of play.

Grant Holt videos....

The guy has been there and got the T-shirt - deserves more respect and is an important part of the team and a top professional.

https://youtu.be/OI5o2snTH9Y

https://youtu.be/9ZJh7knRxBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGWwc5mluU

Post on page one of this thread describes Holt's performance as poor and other following posts lean that way too

There have been a few comparisons between Holt and Craig Brewster recently and I think they are fair and accurate.

Brewster wasn't hugely appreciated whilst he was here and he didn't score a lot of goals for us. But we had a horrible run of form when he was out of the side and after he left we went on to appreciate his importance to the side and the effect that he had on some of our younger strikers, Garry O'Connor in particular.

In years to come we'll really appreciate what Holt brought to us, and Cummings will speak glowingly of him in 20 years time.