hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(NHC) 48 Team World Cup

Good or bad thing ? Will Scotland manage to qualify ? Cynical move by greedy FIFA ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good or bad thing ? Will Scotland manage to qualify ? Cynical move by greedy FIFA ?
    Bad thing for me. Dilutes the quality. Personally think some confederations already get too many qualifying spots as it is. CONCACAF is a total joke. Is impossible for USA and Mexico not to qualify playing against pub teams. South America also qualify 5 out of 9 teams. Granted they are all good quality but there is talk of combining the Americas and giving them more qualifying spots. Not for me. Keep it as it is for a few years longer until the rest of the world improves in quality

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The world cup could be 150 teams and we'd still manage a "glorious failure", probably via drawing at Hampden against Moldova in a fight to see who finishes in the 3rd place playoff position.

Cue the predictive boring "Scotland will never qualify anyway" comments

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Cue the predictive boring "Scotland will never qualify anyway" comments
    I'll oblige.......Scotland still wouldn't manage to qualify anyway.

It will dilute the competition sadly.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I'll oblige.......Scotland still wouldn't manage to qualify anyway.
    well, as we are currently ranked 50-something in the world I think, its quite possible we wouldn't...
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    If it can help us qualify for a World Cup, then great, but other than that it doesn't bother me either way. Honestly couldn't tell you who won the last World Cup, or last years Euros.

@hibs.net private member
    It's a good thing for me.

Would hopefully be the final nail in the coffin for the pointless exercise that is International football.

Out-dated, archaic and a waste of time.

As people have said it will dilute the tournament much like the previous Euros but the international scene has long been failing to hold any type of credibility.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post

Would hopefully be the final nail in the coffin for the pointless exercise that is International football.

As people have said it will dilute the tournament much like the previous Euros but the international scene has long been failing to hold any type of credibility.
    This

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    It's all about money and politics. Nothing to do with quality of the tournament.

I fear Blatter's been replaced with another egomaniac.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

IMHO the Euros last summer was the worst international tournament I have ever watched, in no small part due to it having been expanded. As if Qatar won't be stupid enough, expansion of the World Cup will make it farcical.

Unlike some, I find all this sad, both in itself and as it being just another money-driven bloating of the sport on its way to inevitable death by greed.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    It's been voted through and will begin in 2026. I don't think it's a bad idea as there will be less group games and more knock out matches.

16 groups of 3, each team plays 2 matches and one team from each group is eliminated.

32 teams progress to the first knock out round. The eventual winners (and beaten finalists and semi finalists) still play 7 matches in the tournament as they do now.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    It's the groups of 3 that I'm worried about. There's even more chance of the two bottom teams finishing on same points, goal difference, goals scored and a draw when they'd played each other. How are they going to sort that out? Toss a coin??
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    IMHO the Euros last summer was the worst international tournament I have ever watched, in no small part due to it having been expanded. As if Qatar won't be stupid enough, expansion of the World Cup will make it farcical.

Unlike some, I find all this sad, both in itself and as it being just another money-driven bloating of the sport on its way to inevitable death by greed.
    I tend to agree. it will become the international equivalent of the inter toto cup.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I like watching football. If this means there will be more games to watch on TV over the summer, then that's fine by me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    It's all about money and politics. Nothing to do with quality of the tournament.

I fear Blatter's been replaced with another egomaniac.

Money, money, money ... And looking after your buddies.

Qualifying is where the weaker teams should have a chance to make their mark.

The Finals should be the Finals, not three weeks of qualifying matches - riveting fixtures like Estonia v Venezuela and Kazakhstan v Mali - followed by much the same last 16 leading to much the same last 8 leading to the a very similar semi-final line-up as last time leading to two of what we all know are the top five or six teams in the world in the final.

And we all watch because it's the World Cup, and we all say how much we're enjoying it, even when Estonia only get past Venezuela 13-12 in a penalty shoot-out (with another dozen penalty-kicks disappearing into Row ZZ) after an abysmal 0-0 aet without a single direct shot on goal. And the whole crowd South Africans - with vuvuzelas.

Familiarity breeds contempt. We see enough of these second-rate prima donnas in the EPL every week. (The first-rate prima donnas are playing in Spain, Italy and Germany.)

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    It's the groups of 3 that I'm worried about. There's even more chance of the two bottom teams finishing on same points, goal difference, goals scored and a draw when they'd played each other. How are they going to sort that out? Toss a coin??
    That's a fair point. If all 3 games in a group finish 1-1, or more likely 0-0 I wonder what the outcome would be. 3 way penalty shootout would be my preference

Having 48 teams in the final tournament is a nonsense. Money-making racket (more games = more TV money) and a sop to the FAs of countries who will keep Infantino in post next time around.

Same sort of horse**** that Blatter used to pull, just in a different guise.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post

If the players shared your view then international football would cease to exist. Big clubs would obviously prefer it if their employees lost their appetite to represent their countries.

As for archaic, out dated and a waste of time. Well, if we applied that analysis to Scottish football we would be as well as to ask 95% of our clubs to pack it in tomorrow?

Fortunately, football is much more than business to supporters and there is still a demand for international football from fans, even in wee diddy nations like Scotland.

As for an expanded world cup. Nonsense, it smacks of greed and money making on the part of FIFA.

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    That's a fair point. If all 3 games in a group finish 1-1, or more likely 0-0 I wonder what the outcome would be. 3 way penalty shootout would be my preference
    Think it's supposed to be a penalty shootout at the end of a game if it's a draw after 90mins

Quote Originally Posted by ruthven_raiders View Post
    Think it's supposed to be a penalty shootout at the end of a game if it's a draw after 90mins
    Ok. I quite like that idea actually. So more football, more countries and more penalty shootouts. Scotland might even qualify

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Ok. I quite like that idea actually. So more football, more countries and more penalty shootouts. Scotland might even qualify
    More often than not at the finals the group games were decent but the knockout were poor as teams got more defensive.

I fear this is what it will lead to.

I seem to remember one euro finals (sorry can't remember which) there was hardly a 0-0 until the knockout then 3 of the quarter finals went to penalties.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    More often than not at the finals the group games were decent but the knockout were poor as teams got more defensive.

I fear this is what it will lead to.

I seem to remember one euro finals (sorry can't remember which) there was hardly a 0-0 until the knockout then 3 of the quarter finals went to penalties.
    That's a fair point and it could go that way I suppose but the whole dynamic of the competition will be altered and some years tournaments will continue to be better than others. Overall I think this could work.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    It's been voted through and will begin in 2026. I don't think it's a bad idea as there will be less group games and more knock out matches.

16 groups of 3, each team plays 2 matches and one team from each group is eliminated.

32 teams progress to the first knock out round. The eventual winners (and beaten finalists and semi finalists) still play 7 matches in the tournament as they do now.
    See these groups of 3; Team 1 plays team 2. Team 2 plays team 3. Team 2 sits out last game as team 1 play team 3. Surely this game could be a carve up as both teams play for a result that puts them both through?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    See these groups of 3; Team 1 plays team 2. Team 2 plays team 3. Team 2 sits out last game as team 1 play team 3. Surely this game could be a carve up as both teams play for a result that puts them both through?
    Harder to manipulate if a draw leads to a penalty shootout perhaps?

Europe only getting 3 more places

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    Europe only getting 3 more places

Hosts - 1
    Europe - 16
    Asia - 8
    Africa - 8
    Oceania - 2
    North America - 6
    South America - 7

Sorted
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Naw. Sudden death - with machetes.

This all sounds like something out of Dante's 'Inferno'. Can you imagine what it'll be like listening to guys like Tyldesley and Provan for all those games?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Hosts - 1
    Europe - 16
    Asia - 8
    Africa - 8
    Oceania - 2
    North America - 6
    South America - 7

Sorted
    what's the current allocation ?