hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would rather Motherwell beat Celtic in final regardless what it means for us. Europe is overrated. Pumped out after one tie againt a Slovenian side in all probability.
    So what exactly is the point in playing every season?

Even if it is one tie, it gives a huge financial boost to the club and allows us to try and progress the club and attract better players.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Any idea what Mcinnes said after that embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Ideally we overtake Rangers on the last day to finish second and Motherwell beat them in the final the following weekend.

It'll be like 1986 all over again

I know it's probably unlikely but I'd love to seal 2nd before the last game and make the final one against them a complete piss take for 90 minutes as they desperately fail to get their much needed 3 points to finish third and finish fourth

Worth mentioning that we have a team top of the form table since Christmas finishing like a steam train and only 4pts back. Killi come right into the mix and have a home game against aberdeen to start when we host the celtic. Could the sheep finish 5th 😮

Left by mutual consent!
    Would rather Motherwell beat Celtic in final regardless what it means for us. Europe is overrated. Pumped out after one tie againt a Slovenian side in all probability.
    Absolutely mental to wish another team wins a cup to the detriment of Hibs.

Getting to the group stages of the Europa League is where we should be aiming for, out of our reach next season but the only way we'll make it is by playing more and more in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Absolutely mental to wish another team wins a cup to the detriment of Hibs.

Getting to the group stages of the Europa League is where we should be aiming for, out of our reach next season but the only way we'll make it is by playing more and more in Europe.

I realise your commented was directed at somebody else but, as the OP, I'd like to point out that I'd love Hibs to qualify for Europe, Celtc and The Rangers to miss out on a Cup win and The Rangers to hopefully miss out on Europe as well.

In addition, as long as it doesn't affect Hibs, I'd always prefer a provincial side like Motherwell to win than those two Erse Cheeks. I was even in the Motherwell end at a Cup Final against the Blue Bigots a few years back, though they sadly lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Ideal situation would be the following:-

2nd Hibs
    3rd Aberdeen
    4th The Rangers

Scottish Cup - Motherwell
    That would truly be a Carlsberg season finale 🙂

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    So what exactly is the point in playing every season?

Even if it is one tie, it gives a huge financial boost to the club and allows us to try and progress the club and attract better players.
    Not necessarily a financial boost for the club, as some of the first and second round ties can be really far afield and before the season starts when a lot of our fans are away on holiday, giving smaller attendances at home.
    The financial boost comes in making the league rounds, with guaranteed money for points earned plus home gate money and TV rights.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    why would some want motherwell to be as successful as us in the scottish cup

We’ve not been very successful in the Scottish Cup. Our ‘hoodoo’ spanning more than a century is well known.

Well lifting the trophy in May won’t make a blind bit of difference.

I am with you on that. I have an auld uncle living close to me who is a 'Well fan and has been through here since he was 18. him and his Bro are devout Motherwell fans, although unable to get to matches now. I always like the underdogs to win, although I will never ever be in the Motherwell supporter's club again until they take that photie of auld pishy drawers doon.

Going to swim against the tide here and hope that Celtic buy another meaningless domestic trophy. Want us to be the last real team to win a Scottish tournament, not Motherwell. Wouldn’t care in Celtic ‘won’ everything in Scottish football if we were the next team to win a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Going to swim against the tide here and hope that Celtic buy another meaningless domestic trophy. Want us to be the last real team to win a Scottish tournament, not Motherwell. Wouldn’t care in Celtic ‘won’ everything in Scottish football if we were the next team to win a trophy.
    Agreed, I'm quite happy for Celtic to win everything we fail to win. Would be annoying to see Hearts, Rangers or Aberdeen win something

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Hibs interest comes first, but we'll finish at least third anyway just cant imagine watching the final and wanting celtic to win. So considering by time the final is played we would have finished second or third then come on the 'Well.

I hate seeing any team in Scotland win the Scottish Cup who isn’t us.

I guess I’m numb to Celtic winning it as they do it so regularly so don’t really care, can’t say I’d be too overjoyed for Motherwell if they won it. Was the same when it was St Johnstone and ICT.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post

I guess I’m numb to Celtic winning it as they do it so regularly so don’t really care, can’t say I’d be too overjoyed for Motherwell if they won it. Was the same when it was St Johnstone and ICT.
    I get what you're saying. If Celtic were playing a direct rival (Aberdeen/Hearts) i'd want them to win as a win for either of those two would boost them significantly and for three clubs of a similar size any advantage would be bad news. Look what 2016 did for us.

I wouldn't mind Motherwell winning it as they're not in the same player market etc as us and probably won't be regular challengers for 2nd/3rd/4th in the coming years. Wouldn't be overjoyed but would be nice to see Celtic fans greetin.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post

Me too, but I have mellowed a wee bit since we actually won the thing.

What bugs me the most is when Celtic or Rangers record a meaningless win (Celtic only these days though - it would mean the world to Rangers to win in).

I got loads of good wishes from fans of other clubs when we finally broke our hoodoo. I prefer open top buses, players becoming club legends and not needing to ever buy a drink in certain cities and towns again to Celtic fans trooping home for their tea after watching their team win the cup, only attaching any significance to the win if it happens to be one of umpteen in a row or a double treble or whatever.

I should add that under no circumstances would I want Rangers or Hearts to win the thing, because of the great pleasure and significance that a clean victory would bring them.

Anyone else and I'd be as happy as it possible to be when Hibs don't win it, although it goes without saying that I wouldn't have it happen at any cost to Hibs, ever (on this occasion a possible Motherwell win costing Hibs a European place).
    Last edited by Smartie; 16-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Wonder if the huns would have a bus parade if they ever win the cup

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Even before 2016 I preferred if a club won the cup outside of the OF/them. I would never want any of them to win anything.

They can’t none of the Glasgow teams are allowed a bus parade.

The only time I would want either arse cheek to win anything is if it directly benefits Hibs. That aside I couldn't bring myself to go against any team in a cup final against them, even if it was the Yams I could rationalise it by saying its good for Scottish football to have the trophies spread about, though there's no way I would actually back them watching the game ... if I watched it at all. As it is I sincerely hope that by the time the final comes around Hibs have achieved at least 3rd place so I can be a rabid Motherwell fan for 90 minutes.

If Celtic do win it that will be back to back trebles and in what universe is that good for our game? Anybody saying they don't want another team to win it so that we remain the last non OF team to do it surely cant be serious

Is the plan not normally just to invite the police back to Ibrox for a big shindig?

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    They can’t none of the Glasgow teams are allowed a bus parade.
    Didn't know that. Would be a shame for Thistle if they were punished for the ugly sisters behaviour

Blog Entries
    I’m not sure I can go along with the ‘any team bar Celtic etc.’ for the cup. My criterion is for us to do as well as we can and that means as high a finish in the league and securing a place in Europe, even at the expense of Motherwell. With players out of contract and deals being brokered soon, it’s important that we have as high a profile as possible as, to my mind, it could be the difference between players staying with us or moving on elsewhere. Players like to be with successful, ambitious clubs and our status could the catalyst to sway their decisions.

I actually find it a bit sad that people would prefer one of the Ugly Sisters to win a trophy than a proper club, like Motherwell, St Johnstone, etc.

Keeping in mind my comment was dependent on us having already qualified for Europe, how petty minded do you have to be to say you'd rather they didn't win as it would mean they had won as many Cups as us?

Sorry, but that's childish beyond belief.

I still remember being really happy for a mate of mine from Kilbirnie when St Mirren finally won the SC in 1987. Loads of non-Hibs Supporters congratulated me on Hibs' win in 2016 (no Jambos did, but anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I actually find it a bit sad that people would prefer one of the Ugly Sisters to win a trophy than a proper club, like Motherwell, St Johnstone, etc.

Keeping in mind my comment was dependent on us having already qualified for Europe, how petty minded do you have to be to say you'd rather they didn't win as it would mean they had won as many Cups as us?

I still remember being really happy for a mate of mine from Kilbirnie when St Mirren finally won the SC in 1987. Loads of non-Hibs Supporters congratulated me on Hibs' win in 2016 (no Jambos did, but anyway...)
    If we’re already in Europe then absolutely, Motherwell by 6 goals for me! If it benefits Hibs then a Celtic victory, but I wouldn’t be ‘cheering’ it, just a wry smile at full time.

All this ‘Hibs to be the last non old firm team to win a cup’ is horrendous lol. Folk can’t be that petty. I do draw a line at wanting hearts/Aberdeen and for the time being Rangers winning a trophy due to the added benefits that that brings, when they are direct competitors of ourselves.

Motherwell have a good chance.Celtic are weak at centre half.Motherwell are powerful upfront and will play two up against them,which Murty failed to do,and forget about the midfield.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Yup me too. The only time I've been genuinely pleased by a non-hibs cup win was when St Johnstone won the Scottish in 2014. My mate from Perth has followed them home and away with little reward since he was a young kid. I texted him after the match and the mixture of joy and disbelief from him was brilliant.

He returned the good wishes in 2016 by texting me that night to say that him and his mate went mental in a pub full of huns in Bankfoot to celebrate when David Gray's goal went in

Unless it stops hibs qualifying for Europe I hope Well stuff celtc next month.
    Last edited by Mr White; 16-04-2018 at 03:49 PM.

I recall being really really happy when St.Mirren won the League Cup on St.Patrick's Day 2013. Can't for the life of me remember why though (must've drunk too much Guinness)...

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I recall being really really happy when St.Mirren won the League Cup on St.Patrick's Day 2013. Can't for the life of me remember why though (must've drunk too much Guinness)...

I remember that game vividly

I also remember CLEAR as day Hearts fans crying when the camera man panned in on the Hearts support, Wee cup??? They only call it the wee cup cause they CAN'T win it !!

We have won both cups more recent than they trampy scarf twirling pink grubby ****s GIFRUY !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    If we’re already in Europe then absolutely, Motherwell by 6 goals for me! If it benefits Hibs then a Celtic victory, but I wouldn’t be ‘cheering’ it, just a wry smile at full time.

All this ‘Hibs to be the last non old firm team to win a cup’ is horrendous lol. Folk can’t be that petty. I do draw a line at wanting hearts/Aberdeen and for the time being Rangers winning a trophy due to the added benefits that that brings, when they are direct competitors of ourselves.
    That’s a no brainer, but if we’re sitting in fourth place, come the final, I’ll be behind Celtic all the way.