hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll field this one.

I thought cricket was stultifingly boring though enjoyed playing it in PE at school.

I travelled a bit in Australia one summer in my early twenties, watched a fair bit of cricket and got the bug - it's obviously a lot slower than football or most other team sports but you just need to accept that it works at a different pace. Once I made that leap then I started to appreciate all the subtleties and nuances of the game.

It's a really rich, fascinating game for a spectator if you get to grips with the basics of it and realise just how many variables are involved.
    All fair enough but I don’t get the hype around the Ashes. It’s a tournament that only has two possible winners!

What is it about the English and their love of sporting events with only two teams - The Boat Race is another one!

I have to say that I don’t get F1 - it’s a sport where you need to be a millionaire before you can take it up seriously and even after that it seems to come down to who has the best car. It may be interesting if the drivers were randomly allocated cars before each race, we would then find out who the best driver was.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Brand driven follow the crowd non individuals.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    All fair enough but I don’t get the hype around the Ashes. It’s a tournament that only has two possible winners!

What is it about the English and their love of sporting events with only two teams - The Boat Race is another one!

I have to say that I don’t get F1 - it’s a sport where you need to be a millionaire before you can take it up seriously and even after that it seems to come down to who has the best car. It may be interesting if the drivers were randomly allocated cars before each race, we would then find out who the best driver was.
    I don't get F1 either.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    sorry cant agree with your fist part, i got a skelp every now and again and i didnt grow up thinking smacking was or is ok, in fact i have never and would never raise a hand to my kids so agree with your second part, usually the look is enough to let them know!!
    It's not so much the fact that smacking kids will mean that they smack their kids that I meant, it's more that kids learn from smacking that violence is an acceptable way confirm authority or win an argument. When you hit a kid to make a point then that is the natural conclusion that the kid will learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    It's not so much the fact that smacking kids will mean that they smack their kids that I meant, it's more that kids learn from smacking that violence is an acceptable way confirm authority or win an argument. When you hit a kid to make a point then that is the natural conclusion that the kid will learn.
    Nah not having that at all. If you were to constantly beat a kid with no other form of parenting involved you may have a point. But to suggest that a child who is occasionally smacked whilst also being chastised and brought up in a proper manner by caring and loving parents will learn tbe natural conclusion of violence is to confirm authority or win an argument is total nonsense.

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve seen parents who give it the “I don’t agree with hitting kids” line being hit/kicked/slapped by their kid when they’re having a tantrum.

Where do you reckon they leaned that?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Brand driven follow the crowd non individuals.
    Feeling dismissive about millions of people yesterday, were we?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Feeling dismissive about millions of people yesterday, were we?
    Not just yesterday, every day!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post

I don't get F1 either.
    I'm not a massive fan of F1, but I do "get it".

I went to Silverstone in 1987 when Nigel Mansell caught Nelson Piquet with only a couple of laps to go, having been over 30 seconds behind.

There were loudspeakers around the track and the commentator kept the crowd informed as to how far behind Mansell was. It was a while ago so my memory may not be 100%accurate, but this is how I recall it;

30 seconds became 28. 28 became 26 and so on until he was about 10 seconds behind. Every couple of laps the commentator screamed that it was another lap record. It was amazing driving.

The next thing though, although the previous gap had been 10 seconds, was the 2 of them flying down the straight in front of us and Mansell was right up Piquet's exhaust. He'd caught up a huge gap!

We were watching on Hanger Straight, just before Stowe corner and the Mansell tricked Piquet into blocking to his left, then overtook on the inside. It was so exciting. The overtaking manoeve happened right in front of us. The noise that went up from the stands was deafening.

The noise of the cars, the smell of the high octane fuel, the speed. The speed is incredible.

And that's just the races. The whole experience is exciting. From the vast car parks accommodating every model of car you can think of, from Fiat Stradas ( in our case) to rare Ferraris, Lamborghinis and the rest.

The F1 village itself is an adult playground. All sorts of stalls, exhibitions, food and drink. I remember these tall, gorgeousMarlborough models in red jump suits wandering around handing out free cigs and lighters.

It was a very enjoyable experience and I wouldn't hesitate to go again, although I'm not sleeping in the car this time!!

Is it expensive? Yes, but not that much more than other world sporting events.

For example, if you want a 3 day weekend ticket for the Open at Carnoustie next July, you'll pay up to £165.

A general admission weekend ticket at Silverstone costs £185.

It's also a myth that the car wins the race and not the driver, but that's for another forum.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 14-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Not just yesterday, every day!
    Mr Scouse, meet Mr Trump...

@hibs.net private member
    I don't get people thinking that giving up alcohol for a while is a "waste of time".
    Maybe they think it's a waste of drinking time?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I'm not a massive fan of F1, but I do "get it".

I went to Silverstone in 1987 when Nigel Mansell caught Nelson Piquet with only a couple of laps to go, having been over 30 seconds behind.

There were loudspeakers around the track and the commentator kept the crowd informed as to how far behind Mansell was. It was a while ago so my memory may not be 100%accurate, but this is how I recall it;

30 seconds became 28. 28 became 26 and so on until he was about 10 seconds behind. Every couple of laps the commentator screamed that it was another lap record. It was amazing driving.

The next thing though, although the previous gap had been 10 seconds, was the 2 of them flying down the straight in front of us and Mansell was right up Piquet's exhaust. He'd caught up a huge gap!

We were watching on Hanger Straight, just before Stowe corner and the Mansell tricked Piquet into blocking to his left, then overtook on the inside. It was so exciting. The overtaking manoeve happened right in front of us. The noise that went up from the stands was deafening.

The noise of the cars, the smell of the high octane fuel, the speed. The speed is incredible.

And that's just the races. The whole experience is exciting. From the vast car parks accommodating every model of car you can think of, from Fiat Stradas ( in our case) to rare Ferraris, Lamborghinis and the rest.

The F1 village itself is an adult playground. All sorts of stalls, exhibitions, food and drink. I remember these tall, gorgeousMarlborough models in red jump suits wandering around handing out free cigs and lighters.

It was a very enjoyable experience and I wouldn't hesitate to go again, although I'm not sleeping in the car this time!!

Is it expensive? Yes, but not that much more than other world sporting events.

For example, if you want a 3 day weekend ticket for the Open at Carnoustie next July, you'll pay up to £165.

A weekend ticket at Silverstone costs £185.

It's also a myth that the car wins the race and not the driver, but that's for another forum.
    Good account and explanation
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Good account and explanation
    Thanks.

I found this account of the race. My version wasn't too far from the actuality.

Mansell was 28 seconds behind with 29 laps to go after a tyre change. He was also running on fumes. Astonishing.

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/07/...rix-flashback/

Nah not having that at all. If you were to constantly beat a kid with no other form of parenting involved you may have a point. But to suggest that a child who is occasionally smacked whilst also being chastised and brought up in a proper manner by caring and loving parents will learn tbe natural conclusion of violence is to confirm authority or win an argument is total nonsense.
    It's not me suggesting it though. There have been many scientific peer reviewed studies that prove smacking is detrimental to children's social and personal development. Children who have experienced corporal punishment from parents as a form of discipline are much more likely to themselves become bullies or develop criminal tendencies. The concept that spanking children is ok providing that the child is otherwise treated well in a loving family has also been disproved in several studies carried out in different cultures and all with the same findings, kids who are smacked are more likely to develop problems with self-esteem and social competency. Smacking is a quick fix but can have long term repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I’ve seen parents who give it the “I don’t agree with hitting kids” line being hit/kicked/slapped by their kid when they’re having a tantrum.

Where do you reckon they leaned that?
    I've seen parents who smack their kids being hit/kicked/slapped by their kids when having a tantrum. All that smacking a kid for showing violet behaviour does is reinforce that violence is an acceptable form of behaviour.

I've seen parents who smack their kids being hit/kicked/slapped by their kids when having a tantrum. All that smacking a kid for showing violet behaviour does is reinforce that violence is an acceptable form of behaviour.
    It would be interesting to find a study which compared the number of people who think hitting a child is acceptable who were punished that way themselves compared to those who were not.

(Apologies for the grammar, I hope you understand what I mean).

I would be surprised if the vast majority of those who defend hitting children, had not been hit by their own parents/ guardians.

It's not me suggesting it though. There have been many scientific peer reviewed studies that prove smacking is detrimental to children's social and personal development. Children who have experienced corporal punishment from parents as a form of discipline are much more likely to themselves become bullies or develop criminal tendencies. The concept that spanking children is ok providing that the child is otherwise treated well in a loving family has also been disproved in several studies carried out in different cultures and all with the same findings, kids who are smacked are more likely to develop problems with self-esteem and social competency. Smacking is a quick fix but can have long term repercussions.
    And yet many thousands or probably millions suffer no detrimental affect what so ever. Similarily children who were brought up in the era's when smacking as a form of discipline was maybe more prevalent seem on tbe whole to be a whole lot more respectful to authority as opposed to the 'kids' running around and literally 'running' neighbourhoods these days? Seems that way to me anyway.

It would be interesting to find a study which compared the number of people who think hitting a child is acceptable who were punished that way themselves compared to those who were not.

(Apologies for the grammar, I hope you understand what I mean).

I would be surprised if the vast majority of those who defend hitting children, had not been hit by their own parents/ guardians.
    It's a well established fact that violence breeds violence and I wouldn't be surprised if there are studies out there confirming your suspicion. I've noticed in some studies it's often mentioned that some people are reluctant to condemn smacking children because it would be a kind of admission that their own parents mistreated them.

It's a well established fact that violence breeds violence and I wouldn't be surprised if there are studies out there confirming your suspicion. I've noticed in some studies it's often mentioned that some people are reluctant to condemn smacking children because it would be a kind of admission that their own parents mistreated them.
    I would imagine that you're correct.

In hindsight, this would be a good subject for the Holy Ground ...

And yet many thousands or probably millions suffer no detrimental affect what so ever. Similarily children who were brought up in the era's when smacking as a form of discipline was maybe more prevalent seem on tbe whole to be a whole lot more respectful to authority as opposed to the 'kids' running around and literally 'running' neighbourhoods these days? Seems that way to me anyway.
    Elders perceiving that the younger generation show less respect than previous generations is as old as time itself and true in the sense that older people tend to have fully matured and are much more at ease with their social competencies. It's much more an age thing than a generation thing.

Whose to say that those kids "running neighbourhoods" haven't lost their respect towards society because they've been shown little or no respect from society? Most studies concur that antisocial behaviour is more likely to be a result of corporal punishment and none (0) have shown that corporal punishment has long term benefits on behaviour.

Elders perceiving that the younger generation show less respect than previous generations is as old as time itself and true in the sense that older people tend to have fully matured and are much more at ease with their social competencies. It's much more an age thing than a generation thing.

Whose to say that those kids "running neighbourhoods" haven't lost their respect towards society because they've been shown little or no respect from society? Most studies concur that antisocial behaviour is more likely to be a result of corporal punishment and none (0) have shown that corporal punishment has long term benefits on behaviour.
    I don't thinks it's perception at all, it's fact. You only have to look at the way younsters respond to authority (a police officer) these days compared to 20 years ago. Studies are one thing, actually living through different generations and experiencing life as it really is are another. I know which one really tells the true story as experienced.

Studies are like stats, you can use them in various contexts to give various meanings, I take my views from real life experiences across differing social spectrums.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 14-01-2018 at 02:05 PM.

I don't thinks it's perception at all, it's fact. You only have to look at the way younsters respond to authority (a police officer) these days compared to 20 years ago. Studies are one thing, actually living through different generations and experiencing life as it really is are another. I know which one really tells the true story as experienced.

Studies are like stats, you can use them in various contexts to give various meanings, I take my views from real life experiences across differing social spectrums.
    Funny thing personal experience. My experience tells me that things were worse 20 years ago and even worse 30 or 40 years ago. Niddrie, Greendykes, Wester Hails, Sighthill and many other areas of Edinburgh were rough as **** back in the day.

Personal experience is always subjective and depending on so many unaccountable factors that it's useless as a measuring stick when drawing comparisons. Scientific studies are objective and much more likely to give a better picture of the real situation.

Funny thing personal experience. My experience tells me that things were worse 20 years ago and even worse 30 or 40 years ago. Niddrie, Greendykes, Wester Hails, Sighthill and many other areas of Edinburgh were rough as **** back in the day.

Personal experience is always subjective and depending on so many unaccountable factors that it's useless as a measuring stick when drawing comparisons. Scientific studies are objective and much more likely to give a better picture of the real situation.
    Personal experience is useless as a measuring stick!

There is where we will have to draw this conversation to an end I'm afraid and agree to disagree. Otherwise I may come to the conclusion that I have wasted 50 years of my life.

Cheers for the chat though, you raise many interesting points.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 14-01-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Cheers for the chat though, you raise many interesting points.
    Likewise Scouse, would be a boring forum if we always agreed.

Likewise Scouse, would be a boring forum if we always agreed.
    Rubbish!

Rubbish!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Is this gonna be a 5 or a 10 minute argument?
    Mr Cleese would like to know.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    The techno music thread. I naively thought there would be music in the links posted, it's just noise. Where's the guitars?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    I'll field this one.

I thought cricket was stultifingly boring though enjoyed playing it in PE at school.

I travelled a bit in Australia one summer in my early twenties, watched a fair bit of cricket and got the bug - it's obviously a lot slower than football or most other team sports but you just need to accept that it works at a different pace. Once I made that leap then I started to appreciate all the subtleties and nuances of the game.

It's a really rich, fascinating game for a spectator if you get to grips with the basics of it and realise just how many variables are involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Well said. I would also add that it’s a unique and fascinating duel between bowler and batsman that can last for hours. I enjoy the shorter forms of cricket, but nothing can beat a test match on a wicket that’s starting to break up.

Absolutely. Once I started to understand the game, it took hold and has never let me go. I too can watch T20 and 50-over games, but only as a quick fix between the real thing - test matches.

I once tried to watch Aussie Rules, though. Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Nandos. Overrated and overpriced *****.