hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: BT SCAM warning

Blog Entries

BT SCAM warning

Sorry for posting here, Admins, but I thought this might apply to quite a few members here.

I received an Email, apparently from BT, this morning. It informed me of forthcoming increases on my BT account and that if I did not go into my account, link given, to see and accept these changes, my account would be temporarily suspended. It also warned me that, before viewing and accepting them, I would have to supply up to date personal details I opened my account on my usual link and it was quite normal with no references to that email, which looked quite genuine. I phoned BT about this and was told it was a scam and to forward it to the ‘phishing dept’. Just a warning to folk to be aware of this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry for posting here, Admins, but I thought this might apply to quite a few members here.

I received an Email, apparently from BT, this morning. It informed me of forthcoming increases on my BT account and that if I did not go into my account, link given, to see and accept these changes, my account would be temporarily suspended. It also warned me that, before viewing and accepting them, I would have to supply up to date personal details I opened my account on my usual link and it was quite normal with no references to that email, which looked quite genuine. I phoned BT about this and was told it was a scam and to forward it to the ‘phishing dept’. Just a warning to folk to be aware of this.
    iv had the same for Netflix , paypal and also a bogus HMRC telling me i had a tax rebate . 2 of them looked pretty convincing but the paypal 1 was full of spelling mistakes .

There are loads of them out there. Just expand the senders details and you can usually see the spoof email address its been sent from.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    There are loads of them out there. Just expand the senders details and you can usually see the spoof email address its been sent from.

This

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    For us older guys how do you expand the senders details ?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weststandwanab View Post
    For us older guys how do you expand the senders details ?

Thanks in advance.
    At the top of the email click on the name after ‘From:’

A lot of these emails especially PayPal ones are often terrible and quite clearly a scam, unfortunately these days there is a rise in more elaborate scams and more genuine looking emails.

I suppose in BT terms and conditions it will say they can increase charges whenever they want without needing you to agree so maybe you can identify a scam BT email that way!

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    I think scammers are trying to take advantage of the deluge of GDPR emails on the go at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHibby View Post
    A lot of these emails especially PayPal ones are often terrible and quite clearly a scam, unfortunately these days there is a rise in more elaborate scams and more genuine looking emails.

I suppose in BT terms and conditions it will say they can increase charges whenever they want without needing you to agree so maybe you can identify a scam BT email that way!
    This one looked quite genuine. One spelling/grammar mistake. - instead of ‘You may be asked to update details..... ‘ they wrote ‘ You maybe asked to update details .....’.

Coaching Staff
    Must be a world wide thing....NSW police in Oz have posted warning about similar email scam in regard to Telstra accounts.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    I read somewhere that the spelling/grammar mistakes are often deliberate, they don't want to get replies from everyone - most folk will eventually realise it's a scam and that's just a waste of the scammers time.

They want to get folk who don't notice how badly made the original email is.

Thode are the people that are likely to be daft - or just careless - enough to eventually hand over money.

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    I read somewhere that the spelling/grammar mistakes are often deliberate, they don't want to get replies from everyone - most folk will eventually realise it's a scam and that's just a waste of the scammers time.

They want to get folk who don't notice how badly made the original email is.

Thode are the people that are likely to be daft - or just careless - enough to eventually hand over money.

Thode are

Woops - just replied...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

Never trust an email unless it has your name on it.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    iv had the same for Netflix , paypal and also a bogus HMRC telling me i had a tax rebate . 2 of them looked pretty convincing but the paypal 1 was full of spelling mistakes .
    I've had a couple of these. Since I'm always owing HMRC money (and that's kosher), the rebate these scammers say I'm due exposes their little game straight away.
    Scammers should be hung, drawn & quartered, until we find a less humane way of disposing them.