hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2017 Wimbledon

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well said. Too many people trying to tell others what they can and can't claim. Draconian.
    She can claim whatever she wants.

A wee lassie can selotape a stick to her ponies head and claim it's a unicorn. Doesn't make it so.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Federer has the support of virtually the whole centre court plus the BBC. It's the Federer Road Show.

Federer two sets up against Berdych, both tiebreaks.

Looks like yet another Grand Slam final for Roger.

Federer through 7-6 7-6 6-4 and will face Marin Cilic in Sunday's final.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I saw footage of him walking to his car tonight and he looked in a lot of discomfort. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about but based on what I saw tonight, I really wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again for several months.

He should have done what Djokovic did, IMO, and chucked it in before the end.

He was in increasingly severe discomfort (read 'pain')well before the start of the final set. He needs to look after himself.

BTW - I'm very glad Cilic beat the Yank.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    He should have done what Djokovic did, IMO, and chucked it in before the end.

He was in increasingly severe discomfort (read 'pain')well before the start of the final set. He needs to look after himself.

BTW - I'm very glad Cilic beat the Yank.
    I don't think Andy would ever chuck it in before the end. Especially not in front of the Wimbledon faithfull.

Tennis is strange. You would put money on Fed to win the crown but if Cilic gets on a roll you never know.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    2/11 Federer to win, no wee bet for me today then :( but if anyone fancies cilic he's 4/1

Venus getting a beating so far in the final, a set and a break down. Looks to be struggling physically.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I'm watching the ladies wheelchair doubles. Their arms must be agony at the end of a game! The rallies go on for ages and they obviously have to use their arms to move around and hit the ball.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I'm watching the ladies wheelchair doubles. Their arms must be agony at the end of a game! The rallies go on for ages and they obviously have to use their arms to move around and hit the ball.
    I used to play wheelchair tennis quite a bit a few years ago and it's an extremely tiring sport. You need to keep the chair moving throughout each point or it's just impossible to win.

I used to play in tournaments along with Jordanne Whiley and it's great to see her do so well. She was always very talented with a lot of potential but she seems to have really progressed a lot over the last 3 or 4 years.

She's just won the title again with her partner.

Well done to her.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I used to play wheelchair tennis quite a bit a few years ago and it's an extremely tiring sport. You need to keep the chair moving throughout each point or it's just impossible to win.

I used to play in tournaments along with Jordanne Whiley and it's great to see her do so well. She was always very talented with a lot of potential but she seems to have really progressed a lot over the last 3 or 4 years.

She's just won the title again with her partner.

Well done to her.
    I think that's 4 years in a row they've won it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I think that's 4 years in a row they've won it.
    Yep it is, very impressive. Great success for Britain after Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewett won the men's doubles yesterday.

I think Cilic could do this. Federer looking unusually uncomfortable at times.

I daresay he'll figure it all out soon enough though.

Put the hex on him there then.....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Fed looking majestic.

Cilic not getting 1st serve in enough.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Fed looking majestic.

Cilic not getting 1st serve in enough.
    From about the 4th game onwards Federer has looked imperious. Cilic seems like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world right now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Such a shame for Cilic who is clearly injured. I was really looking forward to this but it's been a non event so far after the first 15 minutes.

No way back now.

Federer wins 6-3 6-1 6-4 for his eighth Wimbledon title and 19th Grand Slam title.

Total procession, shame Cilic had the injury issues as it was never really competitive.

As for Federer, he must be edging towards the greatest sportsperson of all time tag. He's almost beyond human and everything he's achieved has been in an era featuring some of the best tennis players of all time as competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Total procession, shame Cilic had the injury issues as it was never really competitive.

As for Federer, he must be edging towards the greatest sportsperson of all time tag. He's almost beyond human and everything he's achieved has been in an era featuring some of the best tennis players of all time as competition.
    He's already surpassed all other tennis players and he's certainly in the same league as Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt and Pele.

His numbers are staggering, I have so much admiration for what he's achieved. He's almost 36 now and is arguably better now than he was in his so called prime 10 years ago. It's remarkable.

Federer is one of the very best tennis players that's ever played the game, there can be no doubt about that at all. It was interesting that a couple of times the coverage focussed on Rod Laver, who Federer is friendly with and uses as a role model. Laver, IMO was the best male player ever to play the game, but there can't be much between them now.

Andy and Novak should take more breaks between grand slams like Fed does. They're so knackered even a 35 year old could beat them!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Andy and Novak should take more breaks between grand slams like Fed does. They're so knackered even a 35 year old could beat them!

Bang on.

I actually though Andy should have pulled out at the end of the 4th set in the semi. He was obviously in trouble.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Venus getting a beating so far in the final, a set and a break down. Looks to be struggling physically.

I thought she more or less gave up.

Ach well, now she know what it feels like ....

Federers the greatest ever, phenomenal player even now that he's a bit older.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

I think you're right. They're doing too much, not letting injuries heal properly.

Federer spells himself between tournaments, which means he can give more time to his family. It's good to have a proper life outside the sport.

Left by mutual consent!
    Great win for Jamie Murray in the Mixed Doubles. Teaming up with Hingis made for a pretty strong team but for him to have won four Grand Slam doubles titles is no mean feat and were it not for Andy's extraordinary exploits Jamie would enjoy a higher profile as one of the top sportsmen to have come out of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Federer is one of the very best tennis players that's ever played the game, there can be no doubt about that at all. It was interesting that a couple of times the coverage focussed on Rod Laver, who Federer is friendly with and uses as a role model. Laver, IMO was the best male player ever to play the game, but there can't be much between them now.
    I don't want to take anything away from Rod Laver and his achievements, winning all four Grand Slams in the same calendar year is some feat and he remains the only man to do that in the Open Era. However the sport has moved on so much in the last 50 years, the players are just so much fitter now, the professionalism and athleticism is much more of a focus than it was back then and I just feel that Roger Federer's achievements are a lot more remarkable because of that.

Laver won his last Grand Slam title at the age of 31, Federer is a couple of weeks shy of his 36th birthday.

Players now are basically playing tennis for 52 weeks of the year, they hardly get any rest and even when they're not playing in tournaments, they're out on the practice court or in the gym working on their fitness.

Federer has just surpassed all records imaginable to be honest and it's hard to see anyone matching him any time soon. It's been a privilege watching him play over the last 14 years or so and tennis will sorely miss him once he finally decides to hang up his racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I think you're right. They're doing too much, not letting injuries heal properly.

Federer spells himself between tournaments, which means he can give more time to his family. It's good to have a proper life outside the sport.
    Murray and Novak etc are tied to the tour by contract, I assume. If they took more time off they be in breech. The tennis season would be poorer too. Maybe when they're as old as Fed they can be masters of their domains!