hibs.net Messageboard

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Appleton

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe his mother was a fan of Al Jolson, who was born Asa.
    Love a good bit of football trivia !!

2. Log in to remove the advert

So still no decision on the manager's job then.

You won't remember Alastair Brown either? Great player for you and the son of an Edinburgh bus driver.
    Again sadly before my time Part of the classic WBA 70's team with Tony "Bomber" Brown, Willie Johnston,Ally Robertson and of course Brendon, the late Great Cyrille and Laurie. Interesting story about Ally Brown he was the barman in the Throstle Club before they upgraded the academy I remeber him peeing himself because a drinking buddy of mine put about £35 in the fruit machine to win nothing. Only for a kid to come along put £1 in and clean it out Will have to visit his pub one day

Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    Cheers Baggie Guessing Pulis is the t*t you are referring to
    You may say that I can't possibly omment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggie192 View Post
    Hello all, I hope you don't mind a West Brom fan chucking his Two pennies in? Appleton had his career ending injury at ours and was shortly after hired by Megson and Burrows to scout for them. in 2005 he moved to our academy in order to start getting his scouting badges. Under both Mowbray and Venus and RDM and Newton he was promoted up through the ranks and eventually running it. When Roy Hodgson came he became part of his Matchday squad and Darren Moore took over the academy. He took the Portsmouth job soon after. So players he developed Include both Kemar Roofe and Romaine Sawyers. Player's our baseball capped t*t of a manager at the time saw no worth in. Both are now at leeds he former their highest scorer and the latter's valued at £5m. He was the only manager to get anything good out of Scott Allan in England. When he comes in expect him to try and get the team to play decent footbal and also install a team sprite. that Statement may sound trite but sometimes it's true. If you have an Academy expect that to improve if you haven't but got some money expect him to start one down the line. Lastly expect some loans off us. He's held in high regard. Someday, fully exppect him to comeback and manage us
    Nice post, thanks for the info. You may be interested to know that Baggies legend Ally Brown was an Edinburgh (Musselburgh) boy & a Hibs supporter I believe.

Blog Entries
    Hello all, I hope you don't mind a West Brom fan chucking his Two pennies in? Appleton had his career ending injury at ours and was shortly after hired by Megson and Burrows to scout for them. in 2005 he moved to our academy in order to start getting his scouting badges. Under both Mowbray and Venus and RDM and Newton he was promoted up through the ranks and eventually running it. When Roy Hodgson came he became part of his Matchday squad and Darren Moore took over the academy. He took the Portsmouth job soon after. So players he developed Include both Kemar Roofe and Romaine Sawyers. Player's our baseball capped t*t of a manager at the time saw no worth in. Both are now at leeds he former their highest scorer and the latter's valued at £5m. He was the only manager to get anything good out of Scott Allan in England. When he comes in expect him to try and get the team to play decent footbal and also install a team sprite. that Statement may sound trite but sometimes it's true. If you have an Academy expect that to improve if you haven't but got some money expect him to start one down the line. Lastly expect some loans off us. He's held in high regard. Someday, fully exppect him to comeback and manage us
    Do we really need mythical creatures for success ...... don’t you just love typos?

Thanks for the info, Baggie. It's always appreciated when fans of other teams take the time and trouble to post on the site

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Thanks for the info, Baggie. It's always appreciated when fans of other teams take the time and trouble to post on the site
    Yes Baggie, we had Villa fans talking about Super John McGinn

Anyone spotted Michael about town yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Yes Baggie, we had Villa fans talking about Super John McGinn
    Miss him

Know doubt he's had a wee chat with Mowbray and Venus regards our club.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Nice post, thanks for the info. You may be interested to know that Baggies legend Ally Brown was an Edinburgh (Musselburgh) boy & a Hibs supporter I believe.
    Sure his Ma was my provy agent ,back in my Greendykes days.😁

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Main thing I took from that was a patronising "have you got an academy? Don't know if you have them in Scotland?"

However the rest sounds positive!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    But he never said that? You've just quoted made-up words.

Quote Originally Posted by CathroMustStay View Post
    Listened to this earlier. Very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Know doubt he's had a wee chat with Mowbray and Venus regards our club.
    No doubt,along with Fergie.

Mowbray and Venus

Great song the "oldies" on here will mind

"Mark Venus in blue jeans
    Tony Mowbray with a pony tail"

Ok ...al get ma coat !

@hibs.net private member BurghHibby's Avatar
    You won't remember Alastair Brown either? Great player for you and the son of an Edinburgh bus driver.
    That’ll be Billy Brown’s brother, and from Musselburgh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CathroMustStay View Post
    The more I hear this guy, the more I hope the rumour is true.

From the intro to this podcast :

When offered the chance to sit down with Michael Appleton for an hour, it was a no-brainer. Often mentioned on the podcast - sometimes as a brilliant young British Manager, other times as George's favourite footballing person of all time - now rivalled by Chris Maguire!

We packed George off to chat with him, and we made the most of the hour, discussing: his desire to get back into management (and the importance of choosing a club rather than a division), the Championship players and managers that he admires, his time at Blackpool, Blackburn, Portsmouth and Oxford United, his philosophy and his view on data & xG in analysis, his vision in the transfer market, and how cup competitions can help & hinder.

Thanks to Dean at Oporto Sports Management for helping to arrange this interview at short notice, and to Michael of course for his openness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    Sure his Ma was my provy agent ,back in my Greendykes days.😁
    Most people hid behind the couch when he knocked

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Good of you to come on and post such positive info! Thanks!

Out of interest, what is the WBA fans’ take on your rivals situation at Molyneux at the moment. Are they buying their league position?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The more I hear this guy, the more I hope the rumour is true.

From the intro to this podcast :

When offered the chance to sit down with Michael Appleton for an hour, it was a no-brainer. Often mentioned on the podcast - sometimes as a brilliant young British Manager, other times as George's favourite footballing person of all time - now rivalled by Chris Maguire!

We packed George off to chat with him, and we made the most of the hour, discussing: his desire to get back into management (and the importance of choosing a club rather than a division), the Championship players and managers that he admires, his time at Blackpool, Blackburn, Portsmouth and Oxford United, his philosophy and his view on data & xG in analysis, his vision in the transfer market, and how cup competitions can help & hinder.

Thanks to Dean at Oporto Sports Management for helping to arrange this interview at short notice, and to Michael of course for his openness.
    The Dean referred to is Dean Eldredge, who is Michael Appleton’s agent/publicist. He has liked a number of tweets relating to MA being appointed on twitter.

Interestingly he also has Heckingbottom as a client.

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Most people hid behind the couch when he knocked
    No wonder if his ma was a he!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurghHibby View Post
    That’ll be Billy Brown’s brother, and from Musselburgh.
    Really? I only remember Ally's dad talking about him.

Not doubting you BTW.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Really? I only remember Ally's dad talking about him.

Not doubting you BTW.
    I knew a cousin of Ally's really well, lived in the next stair to us. Spoke about him all the time but never mentioned Billy. Mind you I wouldn't either

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    No wonder if his ma was a he!
    I think it was the beard

Great informed post bud, Ta for taking the time to post.

All the best to the Brom for the rest of the season.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I knew a cousin of Ally's really well, lived in the next stair to us. Spoke about him all the time but never mentioned Billy. Mind you I wouldn't either

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

As a total aside, I know Ally's dad is Alec, but I am desperately trying to remember his Edinburgh Councillor uncles name. Anyone know?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Listening to that podcast, it's interesting that Appleton says that he'd prefer to be a manager than a coach.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Listening to that podcast, it's interesting that Appleton says that he'd prefer to be a manager than a coach.
    I imagine head coach would be different as he's still the decision maker, where as a coach for another manager/head coach limits your influence considerably

Thanks.

As a total aside, I know Ally's dad is Alec, but I am desperately trying to remember his Edinburgh Councillor uncles name. Anyone know?
    There was a cooncillor named David Brown represented Craigmillar ward.
    I knew Davie back in the day.
    He was some guy the bold Davie.
    Him and Paul Nolan !!
    Used to drink in Swannies in the High Street and the Newcraighall Miners
    After awe that, i hope its the same man !

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Don't pick the level , pick the club . Loved that bit