hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Have the misfortune of living in grangemouth now(nice house though) the place is a hole

2. Log in to remove the advert

So many to pick from but i'd nominate Methil.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So many to pick from but i'd nominate Methil.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5rJe8dghA

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Oh, it certainly used to be an awful place, but now? Maybe I'm biased because I lived there for a few years but the city I left wasn't recognisable to the city I arrived in.
    Admittedly my view was formed about 15 years ago, so it's good to hear things have improved since then!

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Maybe not the worst place I've been in but visiting Stornoway was certainly a big disappointment.
    Nothing like the picturesque town the song conveyed.
    Very true. Harbour is functional rather than touristy.

Quote Originally Posted by SRH View Post
    Have been all over the UK and seen some right ****holes, but over the past few weeks I've been in Doncaster for work and this place is almost inexplicably bad. Never have I seen a place so empty and devoid of any semblance of culture. The place and its people feel hopeless. Not that there's anything wrong with having council estates in cities, but this entire town feels like one.

It's also full of absolute radges. I was in work this weekend, and someone ran in off the street and emptied my office whilst I was in another room. Only in Doncaster.

Apologies if anyone from here is from 'Donny', but it's an absolute dive. Maybe I'm just spoiled after growing up in Edinburgh though?

So, any contenders for this award? Heard Rotherham is equally bad.
    What's wrong with Council estates like ? You come across as a snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Very true. Harbour is functional rather than touristy.
    That's it in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Where I grew up we always thought the folk who referred to the scheme as an 'estate' were the snobs
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Barrow in Furness is pretty bad

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Why do I sound like a snob? If the whole of Edinburgh, including the centre, was like Niddrie/Drylaw/Sighthill, would it be as nice of a place to live as it is now? No. Doncaster is just depressing.

I grew up in a council estate though, and was delighted to move away. Not bothered if that makes me a snob TBQH.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    I see a lot of mentions for Hull, it's actually not that bad! I'm sure it has parts that are horrific but they are certainly doing a fair amount of work on the place for the City of Culture 2017.

Hull doesn't have the apathy that places like Doncaster and Newport seem to have, there is a hopelessness surrounding them that is almost palpable.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by #Persevere View Post
    I see a lot of mentions for Hull, it's actually not that bad! I'm sure it has parts that are horrific but they are certainly doing a fair amount of work on the place for the City of Culture 2017.

Hull doesn't have the apathy that places like Doncaster and Newport seem to have, there is a hopelessness surrounding them that is almost palpable.
    It's an absolute dive, unless they've made radical changes since I was last there about 2 years ago. The town centre was rank, derelict buildings everywhere and a general run-down look.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by #Persevere View Post

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    It's an absolute dive, unless they've made radical changes since I was last there about 2 years ago. The town centre was rank, derelict buildings everywhere and a general run-down look.
    My father lives on the outskirts of Hull and trust me it has very little going for it. The surrounding villages and towns are equally as grim and they (the locals) also have the misfortune to speak with with an accent that really grates.

If you travel up the coast to Bridlington and Hornsea then you'll see towns with nothing of any note (still not on a par with the Thames Estuary towns for lo-life) - the whole area is a graveyard with little/nothing going for it.

On a plus - Beverley is a most beautiful market town with possibly the best cathedral to be seen in the land. I'm also friendly with the local MP (Graham Stewart) who I studied with and he and I still keep in touch. For all the poverty, it's amazingly a Tory safe-seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    My father lives on the outskirts of Hull and trust me it has very little going for it. The surrounding villages and towns are equally as grim and they (the locals) also have the misfortune to speak with with an accent that really grates.

If you travel up the coast to Bridlington and Hornsea then you'll see towns with nothing of any note (still not on a par with the Thames Estuary towns for lo-life) - the whole area is a graveyard with little/nothing going for it.

On a plus - Beverley is a most beautiful market town with possibly the best cathedral to be seen in the land. I'm also friendly with the local MP (Graham Stewart) who I studied with and he and I still keep in touch. For all the poverty, it's amazingly a Tory safe-seat.
    Beverley is a great little town. The racecourse is very pretty.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Grimsby. Such an apt name.
    I lived in grimhole for a while - and can say that it was a **** hole. It grew on me though, some great nights out in town and cleethropes.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Has anyone had the misfortune to visit Kilsyth? Went to view a house there a month or so ago and can honestly say I've never been a place that I've wanted to leave quicker.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Had the pleasure of a few days of work in Doncaster last year, was there for around 7 days in total. The company put us up in the Grand St Ledger right next to the racecourse, rooms were great food was terrific and we went into town a few of the nights and i found it decent.

The 3 of us who were there working all had a great time, and you don't normally associate that with working away.

Of course i live in Blackpool, and wouldn't know a decent town if it bit me on the nose.

Not keen on Lockerbie, nothing there apart from a couple of hun pubs and a **** chippy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Has anyone had the misfortune to visit Kilsyth? Went to view a house there a month or so ago and can honestly say I've never been a place that I've wanted to leave quicker.
    Used to travel to Hibs games with a couple of guys from Kilsyth. It's a proper kite hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Luton is by a long way the biggest dump I've ever spent time in. The shopping centre there is like the scene out of "Dawn of the Dead". The percentage of people living there must have the highest rate of social neglect induced mental health issues in the UK. Absolutely depressing.
    The Airport isn't the the most fun place to spend 8 hours in either. Trust me.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    The Airport isn't the the most fun place to spend 8 hours in either. Trust me.
    I'm forced to spend 5 days every 2nd year there for my job and alternating between Gatwick. I love even numbered years because they are Gatwick years and nearby Crawley is like Eldorado compared to Luton, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I'm forced to spend 5 days every 2nd year there for my job and alternating between Gatwick. I love even numbered years because they are Gatwick years and nearby Crawley is like Eldorado compared to Luton, believe me.
    Being obliged by work to go anywhere that renders Gatwick the more attractive option fills my heart with a deep sadness for you. Both terrible airports and I'm not especially surprised to learn the nearby towns are ****holes as well.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Being obliged by work to go anywhere that renders Gatwick the more attractive option fills my heart with a deep sadness for you. Both terrible airports and I'm not especially surprised to learn the nearby towns are ****holes as well.
    Seems I'm not alone in my opinion.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/19/its-the-end-of-humanity-luton-is-voted-the-worst-town-in-the-uk-5632960/

P.S. I'm not the paedo

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sgian dubh80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    I see both Hull and Stoke-on-Trent get worthy mentions. Both are pretty grim, however any town on the Northern part of the Thames Estuary will take some beating. Thurrock, Canvey Island, Tilbury, Grays - Think pikey and that's what those places are. The outskirts are full of fields of caravans with horses/ponies tethered to road-signs. The 'proper' folk left a generation ago.

Not the sort of places you would want to take a self-catering break.
    I was going to mention these, until
    I saw your post. I work there and it would take some beating to knock it off top spot.
    Grim doesn't do it justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent some time in Bradford earlier in the year - truly brutal place with zero saving graces. Hated it.
    Easily the worst place in the UK I've personally visited. No danger of a return.

Leeds

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/offici...ive-uk-6677407

Worst place = no surprise
    Best place = no surprise

Take yer pick:

Dundee
    Broxburn
    Carlisle
    Blackpool
    Sunderland
    Paisley

Minging places that should be levelled

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHanlon View Post
    Take yer pick:

Dundee
    Broxburn
    Carlisle
    Blackpool
    Sunderland
    Paisley

Minging places that should be levelled
    Dundee isn't even close to deserving of that title. Have you been there since 1999?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    Dundee isn't even close to deserving of that title. Have you been there since 1999?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Indeed.

Variously claims to be the sunniest place in the UK, and the city with the highest proportion of people with degrees.

Still love the old joke, though. "Dundee, City of Discovery. Get there, and discover it's *****...."

@hibs.net private member
    Dundee, the city of the four J's: Journalism, Jute, Jam and Jeez..who'd want to live there?