hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've had a decent record with players like this.

Grant Holt, Craig Brewster, Mixu.

Players who never had pace to lose can be effective to a decent age.

Although hopefully he'll be more of a Kuqi, Johansson or Rowan Vine - finished or utter pish.
    All they players had much better careers then Maclean.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We've had a decent record with players like this.

Grant Holt, Craig Brewster, Mixu.

Players who never had pace to lose can be effective to a decent age.

Although hopefully he'll be more of a Kuqi, Johansson or Rowan Vine - finished or utter pish.
    I wasn’t Holt’s biggest fan but Maclean has nowhere near the pedigree of any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    And the £ 1 million for the new pitch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43727325

Hope they've left room to get diggers and dumptrucks in and out with the new stand tunnel being a bit restrictive.
    Seem to remember a bit of trouble with an access platform requiring to be dismantled, but I'm sure Budge has taken all this into the planning.
    Its ok, the kids from the local nursery are going in armed with their buckets & spades 😆

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    Don't forget they are now having to fork out £450,000 per season for their use of their training facilities, over ten seasons that's near enough what we paid for EM and there will be no dodging payments this time.
    Much as I am one for ripping into Hearts I think that's a bit disingenuous

I would be astonished if East Mains isn't costing us that and more per season.

I get that we own it and its an asset we can sell at some future date should we desire to and that there are kudos attached to having your own training ground and unfettered use of it, but right now its an expense the same as HWU is to them, albeit a necessary one that we can shape to whatever our future requirements are without asking the landlords permission.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    They obviously don’t feel that Laugherty is a suitable mentor for their young players
    Don't know about that, a very good diver.

Left by mutual consent!
    MacLean in the same breath as Mixu, Brewster and Grant Holt 😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post

I get that we own it and its an asset we can sell at some future date should we desire to and that there are kudos attached to having your own training ground and unfettered use of it, but right now its an expense the same as HWU is to them, albeit a necessary one that we can shape to whatever our future requirements are without asking the landlords permission.
    Yeah I’m in this boat too. I think we should have explored other options before the training centre tbh.

I am still very much in the camp that Hearts are still living beyond their means, augmenting cash flow with'mystery donors' and fans contributions. They are NOT relying on success on the pitch to generate income, which we most certainly are.

That they choose to spend it on players like McLean demonstrates to me, just how parlous their whole business plan is, and you do wonder where they would be shopping if they did not have such an artificial leg up.

Pleasing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Yeah I’m in this boat too. I think we should have explored other options before the training centre tbh.

Better to have a training centre available 24 hours a day,7 days a week rather than a shared facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    I am still very much in the camp that Hearts are still living beyond their means, augmenting cash flow with'mystery donors' and fans contributions. They are NOT relying on success on the pitch to generate income, which we most certainly are.

That they choose to spend it on players like McLean demonstrates to me, just how parlous their whole business plan is, and you do wonder where they would be shopping if they did not have such an artificial leg up.

Pleasing!
    They will put most of their eggs in one basket trying to get Naismith permanently which is also pleasing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Fair points CG but one could easily argue that SM has had a very good career, playing for three big clubs in Old Rangers, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday and carved a very good career up here with Aberdeen and Saintees. Holt had a really purple patch with Norwich granted, but the rest of his career he was a Championship and/or League 1 striker (and I thought he was an excellent addition to our squad last season ).

The point I was making is you cannot underestimate having a good ex pro around the club and the younger players coming through. Plus I have always rated SM as a good player. He's has some horrendous injuries but worked hard to still make a prolonged career for himself which says a lot for a player.
    Good post & Im a genuine fan of players like Stevie McLean who are model professionals & give 100% for every club they play for. However, if it was us going for SM then this board would be in melt down & I would find it hard to be positive. I dont want to sound like a delusional cardigan but i geninely believe we're fishing in different waters these days. Long may it continue.

Blog Entries
    I think you misunderstand me

I am glad that we own our own facility and think that the decision to buy it was absolutely the correct one.

The developments Leeann alluded to her that are coming to it, most probably would not have been possible had we only been renting someone else's facility

The point I was making that was that doing so may not be to our financial advantage over Hearts renting theirs.

But the only real way to ascertain that would be to compare both clubs respective usage and quality of facilities and the total costs involved and that's not going to happen

Normally agree with you but i don't with this. I highly doubt we would have attracted players like Efe, Marciano and Kamberi etc without a training ground. It's an absolute necessity imo

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I wasn’t Holt’s biggest fan but Maclean has nowhere near the pedigree of any of them.

Holt had a higher pedigree than the other 2, given he scored goals in the EPL at a time when that was at a standard a fair bit higher than the SPFL.

But Mixu and Brewster? I'd say they had pedigrees roughly the same as McLean. Mixu was a solid SPL forward and had a moderately successful stint in the second level down South. Brewster was a reasonable SPL forward who did fine on a wee jaunt abroad. Brewster actually went on to do very well after he left Hibs, and improved his reputation immensely as a result. Mixu was a fantastic player for us, but I remember being raging when he joined, thinking he was well past his best - his best not having been that great in the first place.

McLean had a solid enough stint down South, and has done well for St Johnstone.

I don't think the comparison is at all unreasonable. Sometimes you can sign an unfashionable thirty-something and it works well, sometimes it really doesn't.

Are we paying rent to ourselves !, how can it be costing more than the the Hearts set up ?

Blog Entries
    Are we paying rent to ourselves !, how can it be costing more than the the Hearts set up ?
    You do understand that it costs us money to run the place, to maintain it, to purchase new equipment to tart it up

Leeann was taking in her interview about the need to relay the astro pitch

And that we also had to buy the place, which you could argue we are still repaying to STF as part of the £500k pa we are repaying

All Hearts do is rent their facility HWU pick up all the maintenance and repair costs as there is no way it will be a full repairing and maintenance lease as all and sundry get to use and even Hearts wouldn't be daft enough to sign up for that. They don't have to worry about its upkeep.

I still think its a great thing and in our best interests but there is no such as a free lunch

Taxes, wages for all the staff etc soon adds up. I think ours costs in the region of 500k per annum.

As others have alluded to, you cannot judge its success or otherwise on a purely financial basis, and I'm delighted we have our own place.

Holt had a higher pedigree than the other 2, given he scored goals in the EPL at a time when that was at a standard a fair bit higher than the SPFL.

But Mixu and Brewster? I'd say they had pedigrees roughly the same as McLean. Mixu was a solid SPL forward and had a moderately successful stint in the second level down South. Brewster was a reasonable SPL forward who did fine on a wee jaunt abroad. Brewster actually went on to do very well after he left Hibs, and improved his reputation immensely as a result. Mixu was a fantastic player for us, but I remember being raging when he joined, thinking he was well past his best - his best not having been that great in the first place.

McLean had a solid enough stint down South, and has done well for St Johnstone.

I don't think the comparison is at all unreasonable. Sometimes you can sign an unfashionable thirty-something and it works well, sometimes it really doesn't.

and he won StJ the Scottish cup

EM costs about £500k a year. So it is comparable, however Hearts used to only pay £275k at HW so things are getting better for us.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    EM costs about £500k a year. So it is comparable, however Hearts used to only pay £275k at HW so things are getting better for us.

Hearts will have other costs on top of the rent they pay. They will also have staff costs to pay that are associated with their part of the facility.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Hearts will have other costs on top of the rent they pay. They will also have staff costs to pay that are associated with their part of the facility.
    And the stand at Oriam couldn't have come cheap

Left by mutual consent!
    Unless they made if from Lego

Isn’t he a big Hibs fan?

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that he's Kevin Thomson's cousin.
    Yes he is

But I understand that figure includes wages of some of the coaching staff who would presumably be employed regardless of the ownership/rental choice.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    But I understand that figure includes wages of some of the coaching staff who would presumably be employed regardless of the ownership/rental choice.
    Exactly. I know EM is good, but the complex itself won't cost anything like £10k per week for heating, rates, maintenance, etc. The £500k figure will be the cost of the facility, including the staff employed there (physio(s), catering, maintenance/groundsmen & coaching staff outwith the management team).

Unbounded ambition in signing an up and coming young striker(half Queen Anns age or there abouts)

If this is one of the three "marquee" signings Rolf Potter was tempting them with to sell Season Tickets I guess they will be overjoyed down Dalry way.

Next step is checking out wee Pat Fenlon's availability...

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Exactly. I know EM is good, but the complex itself won't cost anything like £10k per week for heating, rates, maintenance, etc. The £500k figure will be the cost of the facility, including the staff employed there (physio(s), catering, maintenance/groundsmen & coaching staff outwith the management team).
    It was £500k a year before Scott Lindsay slashed everything he could. I've no doubt it costs more now but I'm not sure it'll be that much.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Unbounded ambition in signing an up and coming young striker(half Queen Anns age or there abouts)

If this is one of the three "marquee" signings Rolf Potter was tempting them with to sell Season Tickets I guess they will be overjoyed down Dalry way.

Next step is checking out wee Pat Fenlon's availability...
    Not so much a marquee signing, more a one man pop-up tent.

It's only an expense to them if they pay the rent!