hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Stokesy in bother again

Some boy (save the link to the Record)

Former Celtic striker Anthony Stokes in trouble again after going missing at Apollon Smyrni

Stokes hasn't been seen all week at the Greek club and bosses say they are in the dark over his disappearance.

Anthony Stokes is in trouble with his bosses at Greek side Apollon Smyrni after going AWOL.
    And the former Celtic and Hibs striker has been warned he'd better apologise if he hopes to have any future with the club.

The controversial Irish international left Easter Road at the last transfer window after Hibs boss Neil Lennon finally lost patience with Stokes after an incident involving a fire extinguisher during their Algarve winter training camp.
    He signed for Greek Super League side Apollon, who are battling against relegation, but he's been unable to score in the four games he's played for them so far. And this week, Stokes has failed to turn up for training all week to the bemusement of manager Georgios Paraschos.

He said: "Stokes has not appeared at training for the past three days. We will be seeking an apology. This is unacceptable.
    "We have had no explanation from him."

Stokes has already been fined by Apollon last month after taking additional time off from training to resolve a 'personal matter.'

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's probably done noo

Heading should have been....

'Former Scottish Cup Winning Hibs Player'

Guy's a complete car crash!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Poor man's George Best.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    He’ll never change, but for all his flaws, Anthony Stokes will forever be ingrained in Hibernian history for that day in May. The sight of him wheeling away after opening the scoring at Hamoden amid a thick cloud of smoke will always send a shiver down my spine

Absolute waste of a career. Done this at Hibs many times. Saying he needed more time off etc.. He simply hates training and will do anything to get out of it.

Thank god we are shot of him.

I really worry he'll be the next washed up ex player who pissed it all against a wall flogging his story to the Sunday Mail for a few quid blaming everyone but himself.

Hibs legend and I hope he gets himself sorted out. He didn't look happy at Hibs earlier this season and the above doesn't make good reading. I genuinely worry for him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Maybe him and Garry O’ Connor could set up a side for wastrels.

What any of us would give to have his talent!!

Everyone makes their choices in life. He's allowed to decide to not take his career seriously.

I'll always love the guy, he's done his job

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe him and Garry O’ Connor could set up a side for wastrels.

What any of us would give to have his talent!!
    Maybe big Gaz should have a strong word in his ear and show himself as that example of where Stokes is going.

He'll be playing for Dundee or someone next season.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    What a idiot.He is never going to learn.A big liability for any team to take a chance on.Career wasted on stupidity.

Flawed legend.

Not many men could become one of my all time favourite Hibs players for a 90 minutes performance.

Left by mutual consent!
    Legend

If all else fails for Stokesy he's always welcome round mine. He can have full access to my missus, my beer and whatever else he wants. In fact i'll even applaud him before, during and after. Legend.

Will probably end up in the Irish league's somewhere. If he's lucky.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I have a friend who puts me in mind of Stokes. He's a great guy with a heart of gold and is very gifted at certain things, but you can't depend on him for anything. He's in a constant state of personal crisis (wife, family, work) and, to listen to him, it's never his fault. It's really difficult not to simply write him off, but I honestly don't think he deserves that. He doesn't choose to be the way he is - it's just the way he is.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Everyone makes their choices in life. He's allowed to decide to not take his career seriously.

I'll always love the guy, he's done his job
    I concur.

I’m sure I seen stokes in Edinburgh this week, maybe life in Greece isn’t as easy as he thought it would be

Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    I’m sure I seen stokes in Edinburgh this week, maybe life in Greece isn’t as easy as he thought it would be
    You did!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Real shame. Legend no doubt but we are a better team without his unsettling influence. I would say that the Greek team are now in the same position that we were in , in that this is the risk not paying off. Unless he gets a team who are willing to put up with this behaviour, it will be rinse and repeat for Stokes as long as there are offers for him. It is almost like deciding when and when not to behave, is the only part of his life that he can control.

Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    Sure i saw his white Audi at East Mains...or was it his?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I really worry he'll be the next washed up ex player who pissed it all against a wall flogging his story to the Sunday Mail for a few quid blaming everyone but himself.

Hibs legend and I hope he gets himself sorted out. He didn't look happy at Hibs earlier this season and the above doesn't make good reading. I genuinely worry for him.
    For me he was noticeably carrying weight PB and was unfit. The lad is a real talent but inherently lazy.

I spotted a few players during the Killie 1-1 game (December) having a right go at him which continued after he came off the pitch at half time.

In saying that, in recent games Efe seems to be getting it tight from a few players - which again could be down to the same reasons (him not pulling his weight at training). Did you see the way SJM launched into Efe up at County - and Darren does it every single game they play together (rightly too). The squad harmony has clearly improved since Stokes left but what I am also enjoying seeing is that even when we are in good form, players are still being asked to step up in games and keep their standards high. The team has quite a few leaders in it which is a huge positive. Couldn't have been an easy situation to manage (Stokes) but I'll bet you any money only Lennon would have taken the action he did (as opposed to any other rival manager). How many other managers would have allowed two top scorers to leave and then relied on two untried strikers. Brave management but very decisive leadership.

Doesn’t seem bothered now does he. He bothered alot on 21/5/16 for us though. Legend.

Same old Stokesy, some boy

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I have a friend who puts me in mind of Stokes. He's a great guy with a heart of gold and is very gifted at certain things, but you can't depend on him for anything. He's in a constant state of personal crisis (wife, family, work) and, to listen to him, it's never his fault. It's really difficult not to simply write him off, but I honestly don't think he deserves that. He doesn't choose to be the way he is - it's just the way he is.
    I think we all know folk like that, some of us may even be that guy........

It often coms down to the ability to delay gratification, make difficult decisions and make sacrifices for a long-term benefit.

If you take the easy option every time and cannot resist temptation, you end up this cycle of nonsense, a cycle that can be difficult to break.

Talent will only ever get you so far.

Complete waste of a god-given talent.

Thank goodness he's such a waster or he'd never have been near Hibs.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    He was in Lulu’s last Friday which I thought strange as assumed he’d have been playing the following day
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think we all know folk like that, some of us may even be that guy........

It often coms down to the ability to delay gratification, make difficult decisions and make sacrifices for a long-term benefit.

If you take the easy option every time and cannot resist temptation, you end up this cycle of nonsense, a cycle that can be difficult to break.

Talent will only ever get you so far.
    I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Wasters are human too

Left by mutual consent!
    Said it before his spell ended. The lad just cannot be arsed being a professional footballer anymore.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Wasters are human too
    Good point. People forget how young footballers actually are.