hibs.net Messageboard

Scottish football on the up

I've been thinking this for a while. We are great at knocking our game but I really think the Scottish game is on the rise again. Look at our top flight manages for instance..

Rodgers (bawhair away from winning EPL).
    Lennon (serial trophy winner and last 16 of CL).
    Levein (ex Scotland manager - I know, I know).
    Clarke (highly regarded down south and decent record).
    Coyle (did well at Burnley etc)
    McInness (probably the most sought after manager in Scotland - turned down Sunderland).

Then there is the likes of Wright at Saints and Robinson at Motherwell who are doing very well indeed. The standard of football I've seen this season has been very good. I thought Motherwell were excellent at ER and the Aberdeen game was very enjoyable dispite the loss.

Young players coming through at various clubs like McGinn, Tierney, Tayor at Killie, Docherty at Accies and the likes of Ali Crawford who I really like.

Down a division in the championship we have the top 5 separated by 2 points with bigger hitters like Falkirk and ICT still to get into that chasing pack.

Both ourselves and Hearts with over 13k season ticket holders and Aberdeen not far behind.

I think there's a lot to be positive about and we are definaley heading in the right direction. I wish we'd talk our game up a bit more as I for one am loving it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been thinking this for a while. We are great at knocking our game but I really think the Scottish game is on the rise again. Look at our top flight manages for instance..

McInness (probably the most sought after manager in Scotland - turned down Sunderland).

Then there is the likes of Wright at Saints and Robinson at Motherwell who are doing very well indeed. The standard of football I've seen this season has been very good. I thought Motherwell were excellent at ER and the Aberdeen game was very enjoyable dispite the loss.

Young players coming through at various clubs like McGinn, Tierney, Tayor at Killie, Docherty at Accies and the likes of Ali Crawford who I really like.

Down a division in the championship we have the top 5 separated by 2 points with bigger hitters like Falkirk and ICT still to get into that chasing pack.

Both ourselves and Hearts with over 13k season ticket holders and Aberdeen not far behind.

I think there's a lot to be positive about and we are definaley heading in the right direction. I wish we'd talk our game up a bit more as I for one am loving it.
    Well said. Will it catch on?

I actually think the whole being cool and only following the English Premier league thing is starting to decline a little, as folk are growing a little tired of SKY etc. The truth is our game was never as bad as most made out... albeit it could be run a lot better

Think most of the problem is around brand, not a great product to sell overseas. The big mistake was setanta, sky could name their price after that. That said our club is in a great place.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Well said. Will it catch on?

I actually think the whole being cool and only following the English Premier league thing is starting to decline a little, as folk are growing a little tired of SKY etc. The truth is our game was never as bad as most made out... albeit it could be run a lot better
    "Could be run a lot better" is the crux of the problem.

Agreed. Obviously our form and return to the top league is a big part of it, but I haven't been this interested and excited about Scottish football in a long time. Probably also related to the fact that I've never been less interested in English football.. .just cannot be bothered with it anymore

How can anyone not be interested in the English top league. Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton, Leicester, Huddersfield, Watford. Over rated guff.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    That is the sort of communication that should be coming from Regan and the SFA but while they are all driving the "we need a strong The Rangers " train it is almost like fighting a losing battle.

Testimonial Due
    If Scotland could get 1/10 of what the EPL gets from SKY, Scotland would be vibrant again in a season!

However, there is not a snowballs chance of us getting anything near that, so we will always be an after thought to most in England and the rest of Europe.

Our governing body keep tying our hands with the Old Firm, they seem to forget that if not for the other teams in the League there would be no Old Firm!

With the hand that we've been dealt, I think Scottish Football is showing signs of of an upturn in fortune, with attendances up.

Although some Clubs are criminally supported by their towns people (like Motherwell), they still seem to keep their heads above water, though some get into financial difficulty!

How we have not lost more clubs due to finances is remarkable, some having been in trouble more than once, and not all were by overspending on players (Yams and Huns)!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Someone's been reading the metro 😂

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Agree with the OP.

It’s just not fashionable to say it though.

Most fans on social media are at their happiest when complaining about the blazers in the GFA etc. It’s the same in every walk of life, blame those at the top for anything and everything.

I don’t remember ever feeling as positive about the game as I do now and yet I constantly read on here that the game is dying.

Still don’t know what that means and if it’s true it’s been dying for 30+ years!!

When we will we know it’s dead?!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    If Scotland could get 1/10 of what the EPL gets from SKY, Scotland would be vibrant again in a season!

However, there is not a snowballs chance of us getting anything near that, so we will always be an after thought to most in England and the rest of Europe.

Our governing body keep tying our hands with the Old Firm, they seem to forget that if not for the other teams in the League there would be no Old Firm!

With the hand that we've been dealt, I think Scottish Football is showing signs of of an upturn in fortune, with attendances up.

Although some Clubs are criminally supported by their towns people (like Motherwell), they still seem to keep their heads above water, though some get into financial difficulty!

How we have not lost more clubs due to finances is remarkable, some having been in trouble more than once, and not all were by overspending on players (Yams and Huns)!!!
    How we manage to sustain 40 league clubs as well as the juniors (and others) is miraculous. However, when you look at some of the smaller teams who get by on 200 paying fans it really is time for some kind of rationalisation. While supporting your local team (at any level) is to be applauded, is it realistic to have 3-4 clubs playing to a total of 4,000 fans within 20 miles of Falkirk. I don't think an American style franchise system is needed but it surely makes sense that if they're all struggling for survival they should join forces to produce the best club they can.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    How we manage to sustain 40 league clubs as well as the juniors (and others) is miraculous. However, when you look at some of the smaller teams who get by on 200 paying fans it really is time for some kind of rationalisation. While supporting your local team (at any level) is to be applauded, is it realistic to have 3-4 clubs playing to a total of 4,000 fans within 20 miles of Falkirk. I don't think an American style franchise system is needed but it surely makes sense that if they're all struggling for survival they should join forces to produce the best club they can.
    Yeah, but wouldn’t an impartial observer say the same about Edinburgh? Best to join forces and challenge Celtc? I think this post fundamentally misunderstands the reasons people go to watch football and follow a particular club.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Keep all the teams but drastically rearrange and reduce the league structure.

2 leagues split with teams from the premiership to league one. Anyone after that goes in to a national league then regional leagues (highland and lowland Still) below that

42 team league structure for a country this size is ridiculous imo

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Yeah, but wouldn’t an impartial observer say the same about Edinburgh? Best to join forces and challenge Celtc? I think this post fundamentally misunderstands the reasons people go to watch football and follow a particular club.
    Well said. We have to deal with the hand we’re dealt. Mergers wont work unless wanted by fans overwhelmingly, that’s a blind alley. Accept we’ve got 2 clubs with very big supports, 3 with large supports, potentially larger. 1 with a decent support and another 8 or so with supports of 4-6k and 6-10 clubs a bit smaller. Some of the last 2 groups have real potential like Pars, St Mirren, Falkirk, Morton, ICT, Raith, Dundee, Killie. IMO this would be a great time to go to a 16 or 18 club premier. There’s is clearly good talent there. I’d like to see the fear factor reduced and more young Scots at 1st team level getting more game time such that a larger league would im sure enable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    How can anyone not be interested in the English top league. Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton, Leicester, Huddersfield, Watford. Over rated guff.
    The Champions League has lost its sparkle as well, although to be fair there have been some pretty good games and a lot of goals this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    That is the sort of communication that should be coming from Regan and the SFA but while they are all driving the "we need a strong The Rangers " train it is almost like fighting a losing battle.
    This is the main problem Scottish football has .... You have the two main administrators continually fixated on just two clubs, is it any wonder the rest of the media slavishly follow their lead with so called commentators and 'experts' repeating the 'strong old firm' mantra. This attitude simply demeans every other club and hardly makes our league attractive to outside partners as a product.

What is even more annoying is that they seem incapable of highlighting the positives in our game to balance out the negatives ... The upturn in crowds outwith Glasgow recently has been a real positive and yet when do you hear them talk about it? The fact that this can happen in a league full of clubs with no chance of winning it makes it all the more impressive and yet we hear nothing about it from either Regan or Doncaster.

As has already been mentioned the Setanta deal was a mistake, but that's long past now and its time to get over it and concentrate on how we squeeze more money out of television rights rather than dwelling on what we should have done in hindsight.

I do think interest in the over hyped EPL is waning somewhat, it continues to generate huge income because of interest overseas, but viewing figures in this country are dipping .... it would be nice to think that folk, rather than being turned off altogether, are returning to the view that there is value in supporting their local clubs and that you can see a good and exciting game between 22 players who aren't all on £100,000 a week.

Whatever the case, the demise of Scottish football has been greatly exaggerated and without doubt there is hope for it .... unfortunately in spite of the folk running it rather than because of them.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’m currently loving Scottish football, and if the rest of the fans feel the same then it’s a good starting point. If we could get rid of the idiots running our game we could thrive. The appetite for football in this country is unrivalled, it’s a crime that those charged with harnessing that appetite have failed so miserably.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m currently loving Scottish football, and if the rest of the fans feel the same then it’s a good starting point. If we could get rid of the idiots running our game we could thrive. The appetite for football in this country is unrivalled, it’s a crime that those charged with harnessing that appetite have failed so miserably.
    Agreed. This season has been one of my most enjoyable ever so far with every team we’ve came up against looking at least half decent with one notable exception...

@hibs.net private member
    The biggest two problems in Scottish football are Doncaster and Regan. They talked our game down and managed to negotiate terrible commercial deals. They forgot that the our football needs more than two teams to be successful

Just heard regan on radio, shortlist next year! Ffs what else is he doing?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    The biggest two problems in Scottish football are Doncaster and Regan. They talked our game down and managed to negotiate terrible commercial deals. They forgot that the our football needs more than two teams to be successful
    Not only did they talk it down, but their doom-mongering and promises of football Armageddon in the wake of Rangers going down the tubes was an absolute disgrace.

How they are still in post I have no idea.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    Just heard regan on radio, shortlist next year! Ffs what else is he doing?
    Waiting for people to get the sack?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Agreed. This season has been one of my most enjoyable ever so far with every team we’ve came up against looking at least half decent with one notable exception...
    I can’t for the life of me think who that exception might be

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!

Problem is you can only piss wife the c0ck you have.

everywhere.....Is getting even more money!

And we ain't getting 5hit!

If FIFA have their way....we won't even get a Champions league spot!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Not only did they talk it down, but their doom-mongering and promises of football Armageddon in the wake of Rangers going down the tubes was an absolute disgrace.

How they are still in post I have no idea.

They shouldnt be in Charge.. Just How do we get rid of these Dinosaurs.. ??

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    They shouldnt be in Charge.. Just How do we get rid of these Dinosaurs.. ??
    The Dinosaurs run the game full stop, from FIFA, to UEFA, to the EPL, to the SPL etc etc, the same throughout.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    You only have to look at SRU to see how things can improve quickly by getting the right team running things. There are still things they need to be better at but they eventually got the right head coach in Vern Cotter and his assistant who put in place a plan and were allowed to follow it through. Townsend was managed as successor, great academy set up with young players coming through all the time, Edinburgh and Glasgow improving as teams, selling out Murrayfield against Samoa is amazing, like Selling out Hampden against San Marino. Sell outs at Murrayfield three weeks in a row for autumn internationals. Interest in team rising all the time. Doncaster and Regan are a joke. The marketing of the brand is shocking. Constantly running the game down. They should be banging the drum about how good Scottish football could be. Get the right manager in, get the younger players in the team, bin the usual suspects like Berra, Mulgrew, Fletcher x 2, etc. Our game has lots of positives if you want to look for them. Unfortunately those two don't look very hard and would rather focus on negatives

You were doing so well...