hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    McLean and Jack have been under performing this season, I rate them both quite highly but I think their inclusion right now isn't justified.

The rest of the Scottish Premiership players absolutely deserve their place in the squad IMO. I would even say Callum McGregor and Paul Hanlon have played well enough to earn starting places.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Green Badger's Avatar
    Whilst his demeanour is definitely sensationalist, and he behaves like a bit of an ar*e - I don't think he was too far off in respect of the 4 players mentioned.

I don't think McLean or Jack are playing anywhere near good enough at the moment to deserve a call up. Christie & Shinnie maybe are, but there are so many midfielders already in the squad. How about calling up some strikers instead?

As for his comment about the Aberdeen boys being in because the game is at Pittodrie, there probably something in that too.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who are the intelligent guys on the show.
    Probably the same intelligent guys who were s******ing when Boyd outlined his reasons why Cathro would definitely fail.

Wether it’s too early in his media career or not to be slagging off fellow pro’s, he’s usually right and I like him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Is this guy for real or just trying to create a name for himself?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41897811
    I really don't care whether Boyd's right or wrong - can't stand him as a player but in his apparent new career as a 'football-pundit', my loathing of him's just increased ten-fold - admittedly not helped by his outrageous SJM comments !. Obviously someone's told Boyd that to get on in his new career he should't go for the intellectual, analytical approach (obviously well out of his capability anyway !) and just go for the bull-in-a-china-shop, loud, controversial approach !. I honestly think it's highly likely (more than possible) he's got Jim Traynor writing his scripts for him. The scripts he can't take his eyes away from in this clip - well, the scripts and the text he read while this talk was going on, which I also thought was a bit rude and also un-professional of him !

Laughing at Michael Stewart's face throughout all of this, though - it's like he's just sitting there thinking - 'How good is this clown making me look and sound !'

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well he’s got folk discussing it - job done 😎

Another loudmouth Hun to enter the long list of single minded media personalities. People like Kris Boyd keep Scottish football down.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Don’t disagree with him. Shinnie is a good player but he’s unlucky in that our two best players play in one of his positions and in the other one we’ve got 3 players who play for the team who can’t be beaten in Scotland. McGinn has deserved his recognition because he’s every bit as good as the Celtic boys in there. Shinnie, Christie and McLean are not.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The day Scottish football starts listening to that fat **** is the day I give up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Don’t disagree with him. Shinnie is a good player but he’s unlucky in that our two best players play in one of his positions and in the other one we’ve got 3 players who play for the team who can’t be beaten in Scotland. McGinn has deserved his recognition because he’s every bit as good as the Celtic boys in there. Shinnie, Christie and McLean are not.
    So is Dylan. KB was right about that. Boyd is still a twat tho.

I always thought that frendlies was a good way to see if players can step up to the level, if required? What happens if Robertson gets injured and Tierney is suspended? Any harm in seeing if Shinnie can step in? I have no problem at all with players being given that chance. Actually it makes sense to have 'back up' plans. Its like saying we wouldnt give Oli Shaw a chance as he would never start in front of Stokes, Murray and Boyle?

If Aberdeen had any decent Scottish central defenders or strikers they may well have already become Scotland regulars. The Aberdeen players that have been selected for this game are nowhere near as good as the players who've been keeping them out of the Scotland squad over the past couple of years. And, with Scotland's lack of quality up front, a call up for Simon Murray may be on the cards sooner rather than later.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Forgot about that, and Ian Black too
    Deliberately at ER too.

@hibs.net private member
    Boyd is realising that he's reached the end of his career and probably hasn't saved up enough to live a cushy life until he kicks the bucket so is looking to get into punditry.

Unfortunately that career doesn't care about insight and analysis any more, they are more interested in ex ugly sisters like Boyd and Sutton mouthing off.

Rubbish player, rubbish pundit.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    I always thought that frendlies was a good way to see if players can step up to the level, if required? What happens if Robertson gets injured and Tierney is suspended? Any harm in seeing if Shinnie can step in? I have no problem at all with players being given that chance. Actually it makes sense to have 'back up' plans. Its like saying we wouldnt give Oli Shaw a chance as he would never start in front of Stokes, Murray and Boyle?
    I get where you are coming from but is Shinnie really our third best option? I'd rather give someone like Barry Douglas a chance or a younger guy like Stephen Kingsley if we are looking at left backs and think there would be even more in front of him if we looking at midfield. I see it as Shinnie is front of line as it his club's ground Scotland are playing at

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    I really don't care whether Boyd's right or wrong - can't stand him as a player but in his apparent new career as a 'football-pundit', my loathing of him's just increased ten-fold - admittedly not helped by his outrageous SJM comments !. Obviously someone's told Boyd that to get on in his new career he should't go for the intellectual, analytical approach (obviously well out of his capability anyway !) and just go for the bull-in-a-china-shop, loud, controversial approach !. I honestly think it's highly likely (more than possible) he's got Jim Traynor writing his scripts for him. The scripts he can't take his eyes away from in this clip - well, the scripts and the text he read while this talk was going on, which I also thought was a bit rude and also un-professional of him !

Laughing at Michael Stewart's face throughout all of this, though - it's like he's just sitting there thinking - 'How good is this clown making me look and sound !'
    Boyd shouting until he is heard like some kind of overactive and neglected five year old is embarassing...am not a fan of Michael Stewart but it's night and day between them, Stewart behaves like a grown up and Boyd is typical thick shouty hun-apologist who behaves like he is in the school playground and has never grown up.

@hibs.net private member PeeKay's Avatar
    Boyd's understanding of Scottish football was summed up by his claim last week (or week before) that Dundee United's present difficulties were a direct consequence of the demise of Rangers, and their alleged insistence that the Huns should not be shoe-horned back into the SPL was a case of "be careful what you wish for". It was met by stunned silence in the studio before Michael Stewart started trying to reason with him like you would to a toddler. Laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I have to say I've been very impressed with Ryan Christie when I've seen him. I've no idea whether he'd make the grade at international level but I'd certainly have him down as a "maybe" and would include him in squads.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Is this guy for real or just trying to create a name for himself?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41897811
    Never normally agree with him but I think he's spot on. Don't think Ross, Shinne or McLean are good enough. I think Christie has potential.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    And? Would it have been acceptable for any of the Hibs players to pick and choose when they played under any of the number of duds we’ve had?
    He refused to pick fletcher and Boyd I think both said ram it.

Some of what he says is reasonable, some of it is total pish.

He's setting his stall out as a hun alternative to Chris Sutton, playing to a particular crowd with his exaggerated opinions.

The problem I have with it is that he is still playing. I don't think he should be as scathing as he is about his fellow pros. I don't think a Kilmarnock player should be broadcasting strong and controversial views on Celtic, Sevco and Aberdeen players.

If I was Ryan Jack, I'd be going through him at the earliest opportunity.

He should rein it in a bit until he retires, then he should say what he likes (like Sutton does).

I hope that any one of them blooters Boyd up in the air the next time they meet on the pitch.......

He has sussed out that in today's BBC Scotland you need to be a "personality"or "controversial" to get a sports gig. They are all at it including Stewart who is just a slightly more articulate version of the others.
    The late great Bob Crampsey and his like would probably be deemed to dull for today's BBC Scotland.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    He refused to pick fletcher and Boyd I think both said ram it.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2008/oct/12/worldcup2010qualifiers-scotlandfootballteam2

I take no notice of Boyd in general, but even less so his thoughts when it comes to Scotland. Rather than focus on trying to help Scotland qualify he decided to pick and choose when he would play.

What would the reaction be on here if someone like Slivka was to say, “I won’t play for Neil Lennon again, but hope to be back in a Hibs jersey again one day”?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Has there ever been a fatter hun than Boyd? I'm struggling to think of one. Plenty gone to fat after they stopped playing, but none that I recall being like that ten years before they gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Has there ever been a fatter hun than Boyd? I'm struggling to think of one. Plenty gone to fat after they stopped playing, but none that I recall being like that ten years before they gave up.
    AHEM! (derek johnstone)

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    He might have a point but his shouting and screaming is bizarre. Probably cause he has the mental age of a 5 year old.
    Yep, he seemed to think that whoever said something the loudest won the argument - very annoying to listen to.

Pundits are considered boring unless they are controversial. Controversial does not equate to "truth"
    Boyd is getting paid good money to be a face and voice. If he ruffles feathers in the process that's his job. It draws attention to the programme.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    AHEM! (derek johnstone)
    Oh aye, forgot him. Also a worse pundit than Boydie.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Oh aye, forgot him. Also a worse pundit than Boydie.
    Having never heard Boyd I can safely say he's better than Johnstone.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Whether Boyd is right about the merits of certain players being called up, whats he hoping to achieve with such negative comments leading up to a game?

One of the main frustrations with recent managers has been the reluctance to try anything new (particulary with players playing in Scotland), so the fact so many new players have been called up is a good thing. Hopefully they get a chance to prove whether or not they are capable at that level. If not, its a friendly so no big loss, and far from a laughing stock.