This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was the attendance?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    What was the attendance?
    7k at a guess.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I don’t think the people organising it could do anything about the scheduling of the game. It was obviously just a preseason game labelled as a testimonial as a reward for Hanlons loyalty.

Whoever came up with the pricing for the game is the one that should be answering questions imo.

I pay for a season ticket for my son and I monthly, to take him today and the European game midweek would have cost us £65, add that to my £40 per month Direct debit, unfortunately something had to give so I chose the European game for obvious reasons. I don’t think my situation was a unique one.

*******, I wasn’t going to disclose the reasons I didn’t go but it seems relevant now.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I don’t think the people organising it could do anything about the scheduling of the game. It was obviously just a preseason game labelled as a testimonial as a reward for Hanlons loyalty.

Whoever came up with the pricing for the game is the one that should be answering questions imo.

I pay for a season ticket for my son and I monthly, to take him today and the European game midweek would have cost us £65, add that to my £40 per month Direct debit, unfortunately something had to give so I chose the European game for obvious reasons. I don’t think my situation was a unique one.

*******, I wasn’t going to disclose the reasons I didn’t go but it seems relevant now.
    Personal reasons for not going aren’t relevant and should remain personal unless you wish to share. I think some are on the wind-up or are just being silly, it’s a personal choice whether you go to a football match, it’s not mandatory.

Imagine Stevenson and Hanlon had their testimonials 4-5 years ago, be lucky to get 3000-4000 at the game during those days.

You dont have to justify it. Thats a lot of money in one month to spend on football. And thats before any food or drink at the game and the possibility of a 2nd european game later this month.

Exactly this £20 for a friendly is a joke...and I was there today. But the pricing at this time of year for a friendly match was steep

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there.

Great shame the amount of folk that left before Hanlon's walk. Made it a cringe at certain points. Felt for him.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Great shame the amount of folk that left before Hanlon's walk. Made it a cringe at certain points. Felt for him.

I was sitting close to the front of the east and was melting away. Plus the little one was getting restless.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    I was sitting close to the front of the east and was melting away. Plus the little one was getting restless.
    Sure folk had their reasons bud just a shame for Paul.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there.
    I couldn’t be bothered but decided to donate for tickets. Is that ok in your eyes? It’s a personal choice, if regular fans don’t turn up every week then Hanlon wouldn’t have had his fairly healthy wage as a footballer, certainly not at Hibs. I’ve been at my work almost 10 years, wonder if I’ll get 6500 people giving me a send off/celebrate my service at £20 a ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I couldn’t be bothered but decided to donate for tickets. Is that ok in your eyes? It’s a personal choice, if regular fans don’t turn up every week then Hanlon wouldn’t have had his fairly healthy wage as a footballer, certainly not at Hibs. I’ve been at my work almost 10 years, wonder if I’ll get 6500 people giving me a send off/celebrate my service at £20 a ticket...
    With most of the cash going to charity I don’t really see how anyone can still grudge it. Hanlon isn’t loaded mind, no Hibs player is! It’s a short career where folk who work say in the office may be there years!

In fact I don’t care if he was on £20k a week I’d still go (if I could) because Hanlon for me has shown us what playing for Hibs is all about. He could have gone to another club and earned more but he didn’t. He stayed won the Scottish Cup so I think he himself deserved more. I’m certainly no super fan I just like to show my appreciation to a Hibs legend.

Can I be honest. I’m not unhappy that some people couldn’t make it.

I’m really unhappy however that the East/West emptied at the full time whistle, before his lap of honour. The guys played for us for 10 years, and a huge number of folk couldn’t be arsed waiting 10 minutes.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    Can I be honest. I’m not unhappy that some people couldn’t make it.

I’m really unhappy however that the East/West emptied at the full time whistle, before his lap of honour. The guys played for us for 10 years, and a huge number of folk couldn’t be arsed waiting 10 minutes.
    Can I be honest?

People have paid their money so they can leave when they want, they are under no obligation to stay at all.

I've been in the same industry 18 years and all I got for ten years service was a commemorative badge from the union.

I think trying to combine the testimonial with a serious pre season friendly was a mistake. Would have much preferred something a bit more imaginative against some Hibs all star XI or opposition with some sort of relevance to Paul. Just was completely flat from start to finish, which Paul didn’t deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Can I be honest?

People have paid their money so they can leave when they want, they are under no obligation to stay at all.

I've been in the same industry 18 years and all I got for ten years service was a commemorative badge from the union.
    Bit of a passive aggressive response there, which i don’t feel was entirely necessary, if I’m being honest.

Anyway, I do have no doubt that some people left because they had to, but to me it seemed like a huge number, and that more could have stayed to applaud a legend.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    With most of the cash going to charity I don’t really see how anyone can still grudge it. Hanlon isn’t loaded mind, no Hibs player is! It’s a short career where folk who work say in the office may be there years!

In fact I don’t care if he was on £20k a week I’d still go (if I could) because Hanlon for me has shown us what playing for Hibs is all about. He could have gone to another club and earned more but he didn’t. He stayed won the Scottish Cup so I think he himself deserved more. I’m certainly no super fan I just like to show my appreciation to a Hibs legend.
    Point I was making is I couldn’t be bothered but still supported the cause - I donated what I could. I’m not grudging the money too much but being criticised for not going to a testimonial match is a bit over the top. Hopefully people enjoyed the match from what people donated.

People might not have been able to afford it, does Hanlon deserve them to go out of their way? No, he doesn’t, no matter his service to the club. I think 6-7k people turning up to a meaningless game is pretty good considering the opponent, are people forgetting the European matches and the money people are shelling out for that? Money is tight in the world, football should never ever become number 1 priority. Hanlon is a great Hibs player and seems a really nice guy, hope he enjoyed the day and managed to catch up with some old teammates. Let’s not critique people based on the attendance.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    Bit of a passive aggressive response there, which i don’t feel was entirely necessary, if I’m being honest.

Anyway, I do have no doubt that some people left because they had to, but to me it seemed like a huge number, and that more could have stayed to applaud a legend.

A tad harsh now I've read it again I agree but I reckon most folk there were not too bothered about even watching the game, they only went along because they felt they had to. I wonder how many people that did attend really wanted to be there. Lets be honest, maybe half of them?

I seen a post on facebook or twitter saying they were only going because was McGinns last game...

A tad harsh now I've read it again I agree but I reckon most folk there were not too bothered about even watching the game, they only went along because they felt they had to. I wonder how many people that did attend really wanted to be there. Lets be honest, maybe half of them?

I seen a post on facebook or twitter saying they were only going because was McGinns last game...
    Fair enough, yeah.

The atmosphere and day did seem entirely flat, so maybe some weren’t too enthusiastic about staying late.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Don't know why they did all the ar###g about at final whistle tho...they should have got him to do the lap of honour at full time...it was a good 5 mins after and wasn't really made clear

Point I was making is I couldn’t be bothered but still supported the cause - I donated what I could. I’m not grudging the money too much but being criticised for not going to a testimonial match is a bit over the top. Hopefully people enjoyed the match from what people donated.

People might not have been able to afford it, does Hanlon deserve them to go out of their way? No, he doesn’t, no matter his service to the club. I think 6-7k people turning up to a meaningless game is pretty good considering the opponent, are people forgetting the European matches and the money people are shelling out for that? Money is tight in the world, football should never ever become number 1 priority. Hanlon is a great Hibs player and seems a really nice guy, hope he enjoyed the day and managed to catch up with some old teammates. Let’s not critique people based on the attendance.
    It’s good you donated to it, I’m not having a go I’m simply stating if folk were doing nothing and could afford it then why not go and show your support to a player who’s gave ten years of his career to us won helped us win the cup and stayed when he could have left. The attitude of “I couldn’t be bothered” I think is pretty crap to be honest. If you or others had plans fair enough. I’m glad I went today as I find the close season boring and it’s alwats nice going to the matches with my son.

Sums it up for me...don't like friendlies and don't normally go...and today's was deffo not the best to watch especially Sat in that boiling sun getting s&&t on by 1000s of seagulls lol. But had to go to pay tribute to a true Hibs legend. Due to the scheduling tho a lot will have missed Due to hols as I do the Runavik game on Thurs

Some of the comments re folk not being able to go is disgraceful, whoever organized this game made a pigs ear of it. Middle of the trades, Europa game same week it was always going to be poor. Middle of the season at an international break was the time go have it.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Some of the comments re folk not being able to go is disgraceful, whoever organized this game made a pigs ear of it. Middle of the trades, Europa game same week it was always going to be poor. Middle of the season at an international break was the time go have it.
    I’d have had it in the international week myself. But I honestly don’t think we’d have got much more folk sadly.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    I’d have had it in the international week myself. But I honestly don’t think we’d have got much more folk sadly.
    Surely end of season is time to have it, especially after the good season we had? Pre-season doesn’t seem the right time to have it.

Testimonial Due
    It’s good you donated to it, I’m not having a go I’m simply stating if folk were doing nothing and could afford it then why not go and show your support to a player who’s gave ten years of his career to us won helped us win the cup and stayed when he could have left. The attitude of “I couldn’t be bothered” I think is pretty crap to be honest. If you or others had plans fair enough. I’m glad I went today as I find the close season boring and it’s alwats nice going to the matches with my son.
    I do see your point a Bit, I wish I had cared more, but I show my support and appreciation all season, Hanlon is one of my favourite players at Hibs precisely for the reasons you state. But this was a terrible match, at a terrible time and terribly marketed and promoted.

I make no apology for not going, i detest uncompetitive matches, and it's not even like it's the curtain raiser friendly. Whatever reasons it was scheduled as it was are responsible for the crap turnout, plus rubbish opposition and no novelty factor at all.

I do have huge respect for Hanlon and Stevenson, but testimonials are an anachronism imo.

If they must happen, surely wait until they are finish it their careers - Hanlon is just coming into his peak FFS. And organisers really need to be a bit more creative in what they are doing to entice people, teams from abroad, composite teams - I would have been far more likely to go to a Hibs v Hibs legends match, for example, where there would be entertainment, flicks and tricks and novelty- not watching the team toil through a gloeified trainig session.

On another point, its funny how a few of the ITKers getting particularly vocal. I think it's safe to assume where a lot of inside info comes from 😁

Surely end of season is time to have it, especially after the good season we had? Pre-season doesn’t seem the right time to have it.
    Or even then yeah.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    I'm with you on this.

I respect anyone's decision to go to the game or not.

The date of the game today, plus the opposition chosen seemed odd choices to me. I don't expect Barca, or Real Madrid for our players testimonials, but surely we can attract teams that would maybe entice neutrals to pop along to the game.

I sat at the game today feeling one of our great players was let down.
    Paul Hanlons lap of honour at end of the game was to only maybe 2 or 3 thousand people as lots of people had left the stadium. He surely deserves so much more than that.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Can I be honest?

How many goals did you score against hearts to help bring the cup home though?

Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    At least one of the testimonial committee posts on here. The timing of the game would be at the preference of both clubs I'd imagine.