hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grand National 2017

And already the favourite's been taken out. Still a relatively young horse I suppose.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Its the horses i feel sorry for.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And already the favourite's been taken out. Still a relatively young horse I suppose.
    Not shocked given the age of the horse. It's a tough ask to come out of a Gold Cup and go straight into a National at that age.

It's a tough race to call this year and I've got a feeling the winner won't come from the very top of the market.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Not shocked given the age of the horse. It's a tough ask to come out of a Gold Cup and go straight into a National at that age.

It's a tough race to call this year and I've got a feeling the winner won't come from the very top of the market.
    Just this year PB??

Mentioned on the Cheltenham page I liked Ucello Conti. A bit of rain would do him good but has a nice weight. Will be looking for an outside to back as well.

About a week ago, one for arthur was 33/1 with bet 365 now down to 14/1, another horse that needs the going to be a bit heavy going imo

Quote Originally Posted by Leith's finest View Post
    About a week ago, one for arthur was 33/1 with bet 365 now down to 14/1, another horse that needs the going to be a bit heavy going imo
    National Course is currently good to soft with good in places and soft in places. Clerk of the course already talking about watering which has upset a lot of those waiting for spring ground. Imo as long it's safe ground then it should be run on the ground that nature has thrown up. Said the same at Cheltenham when they watered after 2 days as well. As long as firm stays out the going description it should be left alone.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Outwith the National itself, I think Top Notch is a great bet tomorrow even as the favorite.

Also fancy Empire Of Dirt to turn over Cue Card in the bowl. And can't see Defi Du Seuil getting beat in the juvenile race.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Outwith the National itself, I think Top Notch is a great bet tomorrow even as the favorite.

Also fancy Empire Of Dirt to turn over Cue Card in the bowl. And can't see Defi Du Seuil getting beat in the juvenile race.
    That looks a decent treble there. I'll be all over Top Notch, backed him at Cheltenham and he wasn't far away.

Also fancy Dandridge in the Red Rum chase.

That looks a decent treble there. I'll be all over Top Notch, backed him at Cheltenham and he wasn't far away.

Also fancy Dandridge in the Red Rum chase.
    I'm sure Top Notch would have won at Cheltenham if he hadn't blootered the 2nd last. Looks be be a few short priced favorites tomorrow. Hopefully make back some Cheltenham losses.

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Poor from top notch

Silviniaco Conti retired by Paul Nicholls after the bowl.

Glad to see it, great horse but past his best and with 7 Grade 1s and £1.1m in prize money he didn't owe anyone anything.

What a star Big Fella Thanks is. 10th time round the National Course and finishes 3rd at the grand old age of 15.

Jumped on Double W's after a disappointing day and made back most of my losses.

Cheers PB

Sad news, Imperial Commander passed away in his paddock today.
    Gold cup 2010 & 16 yr old
    Prize money in excess of £700,000.

Quote Originally Posted by trev the hat View Post
    Sad news, Imperial Commander passed away in his paddock today.
    Gold cup 2010 & 16 yr old
    Prize money in excess of £700,000.
    There's a really nice tribute to the horse on the Imperial Racing Facebook page. Seems it was suddenly in the field and not expected.

Very sad, he was a great horse on his day. The Imperial Racing club had the photo finish from Haydock in 2009,when he was beaten a noseby Kauto Star, framed and distributed to all members as they couldn't believe they had a horse who had been that close to an all time great. Little did they realise less than a year later they would beat both him and Denman and win a Gold Cup.

There's a really nice tribute to the horse on the Imperial Racing Facebook page. Seems it was suddenly in the field and not expected.

Very sad, he was a great horse on his day. The Imperial Racing club had the photo finish from Haydock in 2009,when he was beaten a noseby Kauto Star, framed and distributed to all members as they couldn't believe they had a horse who had been that close to an all time great. Little did they realise less than a year later they would beat both him and Denman and win a Gold Cup.
    Thanks for that, just read it & a lovely tribute to a fantastic horse. My Mrs had him in the GC & remembers it well.

I remember that race, the Betfair at Haydock, and truly thought IC had won it. On his day he was a brilliant horse, as he showed in the Gold Cup in 2010. RIP Old warrior.

Finian's Oscar covers the weekend betting for me at a ridiculous price of 3/1. Fair whack on that not sure what the bookies were thinking there.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Finian's Oscar covers the weekend betting for me at a ridiculous price of 3/1. Fair whack on that not sure what the bookies were thinking there.
    Yep, free money. Power had to nudge him just at the top bend but when he got going no one was getting near.

Got Politologue in the next. 5s this morning, backed into 9/4 now.

WTF is the production all about. Cringe.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    not bet on a horse for 30+ years but saw a photo this morning of one for arthur with a saltire on and thought(briefly) of a cheeky week £5/EW bet, done the garden instead and stuck my money on hibs

first scottish winner since rubstic in 1979

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    not bet on a horse for 30+ years but saw a photo this morning of one for arthur with a saltire on and thought(briefly) of a cheeky week £5/EW bet, done the garden instead and stuck my money on hibs

first scottish winner since rubstic in 1979
    It was a great race. I had a fiver on One for Arthur to win so that was a pleasant wee boost

I remember Rubstic winning...scary to realise it was nearly 40 years ago.
    Last edited by G B Young; 08-04-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Had a £5 on One For Arthur woohoo 👏

5 years in a row now with 40 out and 40 in as well. The course may not be what it was but the alterations have clearly worked in making it safer and the care of the horses today was second to none.

Aintree looked fantastic today and it was a great spectacle and a brilliant advert for the sport.

Yep, free money. Power had to nudge him just at the top bend but when he got going no one was getting near.

Got Politologue in the next. 5s this morning, backed into 9/4 now.
    Now that must be just about the unluckiest fall I've ever seen, jumps the last fence fine then trips over his own hooves about 3 strides later.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Had a £5 on One For Arthur woohoo 👏
    So did I. I only backed it because it was a Scottish trainer. Watching the scenes after he won were fantastic.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    So did I. I only backed it because it was a Scottish trainer. Watching the scenes after he won were fantastic.
    Aye it was decent eh? Great finish to the race like

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Aye it was decent eh? Great finish to the race like
    I actually thought it had fallen and not been mentioned, I kept looking for the saltire, but I didn't realise it was only on the back of the jockeys colours. It wasn't until 2 out I realised it was still in the race.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I actually thought it had fallen and not been mentioned, I kept looking for the saltire, but I didn't realise it was only on the back of the jockeys colours. It wasn't until 2 out I realised it was still in the race.
    Yeah I just started hearing One for Arthur near the end so started paying a bit more attention to it but he won it quite clearly in the end 🙂