hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Jobs

Jobs

Basically I am looking for a new role and upon several months of checking all the usual job websites and whatnot, nothing seems to stand out and it's all agencies or part time work which is not ideal for me. I work in retail, and have over 5 years retail and supervisory/management experience. Things are tough at the minute (as they always are in retail!) and I don't like the direction my current employer is going. That coupled with the fact I work most weekends and missing the football! Part of me wants to change career path and head into an office based environment because of this but in today's climate you can't be picky. I guess it's a long shot, just wondering if anyone knows of any vacancies for entry level office work or management retail positions? Throw me a PM if so. Thanks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I don't know of any particular jobs, but whenever I'm looking for jobs I check these -

http://www.ed.ac.uk/human-resources/jobs

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.../csr/index.cgi

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/search

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Basically I am looking for a new role and upon several months of checking all the usual job websites and whatnot, nothing seems to stand out and it's all agencies or part time work which is not ideal for me. I work in retail, and have over 5 years retail and supervisory/management experience. Things are tough at the minute (as they always are in retail!) and I don't like the direction my current employer is going. That coupled with the fact I work most weekends and missing the football! Part of me wants to change career path and head into an office based environment because of this but in today's climate you can't be picky. I guess it's a long shot, just wondering if anyone knows of any vacancies for entry level office work or management retail positions? Throw me a PM if so. Thanks.
    I know of sales advisor for a house builder, but you would still be working weekends. Also how old are you ? Plenty apprentice jobs just now for office works, in I.T Mainly but pay not great to start with

Thanks for the links

I am 25 going on 30 . I.T would be ideal for me really even if it meant taking a paycut, would be worth it long term. That is the sorta thing I've always fancied. I'll keep looking online and see if I can find anything. Struggling to see anything at the minute but then again I could just be looking in the wrong places.

PM sent 😊

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    I'm in the same situation only 5 years further down the line and with a young family. This working weekends and till 11 at night is no good now. I've been keeping an eye on job websites and the links that easty posted with no success as of yet, couple of interviews but nothing past that yet.

Just keep looking, especially if you know what you want to move into.

I was in the same boat this time last year. Working in an admin office in Morrisons for years. Finally took the plunge and moved into an HR Administrator role. Was there 6 months and moved into a Senior HR role and my work is paying for me to go to night college in September to do CIPD. I got knocked back a few jobs before I got this one. You have to stick at it. Dont let a rejection get you down. You could be up against 100s of people these days.

A bit advice is really try and prepare for the interview. Practise, practise and practise. Its huge. Do mock interviews with family. You will probably feel you sound like an idiot but you need to say the right things in order tick a box.
    Last edited by CB_NO3; 09-08-2016 at 06:18 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    CIPDs a good qualification to get CB NO3 - opens a lot of doors.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    There are always plenty admin jobs going with us in the nhs, good terms and conditions also, not many places offer 27 days a/l plus bank holidays, rising to 33 days after a few years service, pension is great, plenty of opportunities to progress if you want, i have just started doing a degree thanks to the nhs. Its hard getting in though as everytime i advertise for staff i have to close it due to the amount of applicants but if you do get in then its a great organisation to work for

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    CIPDs a good qualification to get CB NO3 - opens a lot of doors.
    Think I'm going to try and get involved with that at some point if I can.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Think I'm going to try and get involved with that at some point if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    You got it Danderhall?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    You got it Danderhall?
    I do mate. Done it a couple of years ago - L&D Practice.

Give me a shout if you need help (or anything).

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    There are always plenty admin jobs going with us in the nhs, good terms and conditions also, not many places offer 27 days a/l plus bank holidays, rising to 33 days after a few years service, pension is great, plenty of opportunities to progress if you want, i have just started doing a degree thanks to the nhs. Its hard getting in though as everytime i advertise for staff i have to close it due to the amount of applicants but if you do get in then its a great organisation to work for
    Some of the applications can be amusing though 😁

HR is a good direction to go, that's what my missus does she's currently an HR business partner earning not far off six figures.

@hibs.net private member hibeenicol's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ll nicol ll
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    You thought about going to College/University to get some qualifications behind you? I went back to college at 32 and have just finished my degree in computing networking. IT is booming at the moment and is very much in demand and will continue to grow. You've got time on your side to decide what you want to do and build a good career.
    If going back to learning isn't your thing then have a look a Sky, there always on the lookout for sales advisers etc.... I worked there part time having never worked in a call centre before and loved it. I sat talking about football all day on the phone, decent money, free sky and there's also career progression opportunities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Some of the applications can be amusing though 😁
    Eh?

Don't know if it would suit they are looking for conductors on the trams.