hibs.net Messageboard

Page 18 of 84 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Riverlife - Caribbean restaurant on dalry road.

Very nice food, good sized portions and reasonably priced. Extremely well priced if you also have a tastecard.

I called scallops wrapped in prosciutto followed by lamb ribs with potato dauphinoise and a can of coke (forgot it was BYOB) for £15!

A lot of other dishes on the menu looked good also - I'll be back!
    Mon the Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    OTRO - Coates Crescent (used to be the Indian Cavalry Club)

Was there yesterday after the rugby, superb Scottish food expertly cooked with some great flavours from a very talented chef.Presentation and quality of food really was good with excellent varied bottled beer selection and decent wine list. Six of us spent about 3 hours in there and service was top notch. Well worth a visit.

Tried Passorn Thai Brasserie on Hanover Street. Was excellent. Service top notch and food was absolutely brilliant. Quite pricy, although they do a set menu for £12.50ish, but worth it imo.

Went to Chaoproya a couple of days later. Service again excellent but food wasn't quite on a par with Passorn. The view is obviously brilliant but truth be told I was a bit disappointed overall. I had been before and would say it has been better previously.

Finally went for a drink at Hoot The Redeemer. Hipster by numbers and overpriced. Oh and I also ended up in the Wetherspoons at Waverley that used to be Jimmy Chungs; £4.05 a pint of Tennents or £4.95 and Amstel. What the **** is that all about?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OTRO - Coates Crescent (used to be the Indian Cavalry Club)

Was there yesterday after the rugby, superb Scottish food expertly cooked with some great flavours from a very talented chef.Presentation and quality of food really was good with excellent varied bottled beer selection and decent wine list. Six of us spent about 3 hours in there and service was top notch. Well worth a visit.
    Same people who have the excellent New Chapter on Eyre Place. Looking forward to trying it soon.

Had a realy good thai chicken burger in daylight robbery last night.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Was at pizzaria 1926 last night and it was excellent. Probably the best pizza ive had outside naples. The deep fried sharing platter starter was realy good as well. Plenty sea food involved but the pasta ball with a little cream and peas was the higlight of that.
    Got a takeaway pizza from there on Sunday. Was really good. Wouldn't go as far to say the best pizza I've had in Edinburgh but I'd definitely go back. £5.90 for a takeaway 12" margharita aswell which is very good.

Best pizza in Edinburgh for me is from Dough on Rose Street.

Has anyone tried pizza from Soderberg/Peters Yard? Seen a few reviews in papers recently ranking it as one of the best in Edinburgh, it's certainly not somewhere I would have went looking for pizza.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 04-04-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Got a takeaway pizza from there on Sunday. Was really good. Wouldn't go as far to say the best pizza I've had in Edinburgh but I'd definitely go back. £5.90 for a takeaway 12" margharita aswell which is very good.

Best pizza in Edinburgh for me is from Dough on Rose Street.

Has anyone tried pizza from Soderberg/Peters Yard? Seen a few reviews in papers recently ranking it as one of the best in Edinburgh, it's certainly not somewhere I would have went looking for pizza.
    Tried Dough on Rose Street today and was bitterly disappointed after all the hype I had read about it. It doesn't even come in my top three in Edinburgh and nowhere near the quality or Oregano or La Favorita in my opinion. We sat in the shop so the comparison to the others I have mentioned was fair as I always sit in there too. Massive doughy crust, far too big which actually reduced the toppings to that of a 7" pizza instead of the 10" we both ordered, far too much cheese which made the pizza too wet and overall pretty average, I won't be back.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Tried Dough on Rose Street today and was bitterly disappointed after all the hype I had read about it. It doesn't even come in my top three in Edinburgh and nowhere near the quality or Oregano or La Favorita in my opinion. We sat in the shop so the comparison to the others I have mentioned was fair as I always sit in there too. Massive doughy crust, far too big which actually reduced the toppings to that of a 7" pizza instead of the 10" we both ordered, far too much cheese which made the pizza too wet and overall pretty average, I won't be back.
    That's not good. I've not been for a couple of months now but when I last went it was magic. Hopefully you just had a bad experience and they've not tinkered with the recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Tried Passorn Thai Brasserie on Hanover Street. Was excellent. Service top notch and food was absolutely brilliant. Quite pricy, although they do a set menu for £12.50ish, but worth it imo.

Went to Chaoproya a couple of days later. Service again excellent but food wasn't quite on a par with Passorn. The view is obviously brilliant but truth be told I was a bit disappointed overall. I had been before and would say it has been better previously.

Finally went for a drink at Hoot The Redeemer. Hipster by numbers and overpriced. Oh and I also ended up in the Wetherspoons at Waverley that used to be Jimmy Chungs; £4.05 a pint of Tennents or £4.95 and Amstel. What the **** is that all about?

If you like Thai, try absolute Thai, at toll x. Most authentic tasting imo. I ate at passorn, on brougham Street, and enjoyed it, but preferred absolute. Cheap and cheerful but book in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Was at 1926 last week again as well. Had the pizza fritta to start which was a new addition to the menu since last time i visited. Was really good but a 'pizza' starter followed by a traditional pizza definitely wasnt a good idea . prices are excellent for the quality.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    If you like Thai, try absolute Thai, at toll x. Most authentic tasting imo. I ate at passorn, on brougham Street, and enjoyed it, but preferred absolute. Cheap and cheerful but book in advance.
    Was at Shamoli on the Royal Mile on Friday, thought it was nice enough, not as good as somewhere like Lemongrass, but i'd go back.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member

Eating out

The last time I went to a restaurant was 13 years ago!

I was a Salesman for a food service company and knowing how little items cost it made me question the mark up.

Think of this: we happily order an 8oz fillet or whatever but when we order a fish dish there is no mention of weight.

Sometimes fish is more expensive than steak. A complete rip off, b0ys. And girls.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

I was a Salesman for a food service company and knowing how little items cost it made me question the mark up.

Think of this: we happily order an 8oz fillet or whatever but when we order a fish dish there is no mention of weight.

Sometimes fish is more expensive than steak. A complete rip off, b0ys. And girls.
    If I lived my life worrying about the mark up on things I enjoy I would never leave the house!

I work in the industry so know full well how it works, I eat out regularly.....madness eh?
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 04-04-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

I'd be keen to know what sort of fish is a rip-off.

If it really bothers you, you could always ask the waiter to show you the fish prior to ordering so you i)know the size and ii)can check the freshness - FWIW - fish is NOT overpriced. You go catch it in the deep seas and tell me it isn't value for money.

If I lived my life worrying about the mark up on things I enjoy I would never leave the house!

I work in the industry so know full well how it works, I eat out regularly.....madness eh?
    Indeed - I'd imagine that pollution will happily order a delivery pizza - probably the food with the highest mark-up yet he won't eat out

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    This restaurant is over in Paphos/Cyprus so perhaps a new thread is required but thought I'd add anyway as folk will be going on their travels soon and Paphos may be on someones itinerary.

After eating too much Cypriot Greek foods we wanted a "proper" Steakhouse, we were advised by many local business owners to try "The Lodge" and we were not disappointed. It's a steakhouse with a South African flavour (the place is swimming in Braai sauce), the owners are from that neck of the woods and have worked in hospitality for a long time.
    I was initially going to have a starter followed by t-bone but I was convinced to share a prime rib with my wife. The uncooked weight was 1.2Kg's so no starter was required. Even though it was a large chunk of flesh we opted for it to be cooked medium rare and my wife was a little concerned it would be blue/uncooked in the middle,,,,it wasn't. The steak was cooked thoroughly and although red in the middle it was warm, buttery & tasty. The sides of mash, wedges & greens were exactly that, a side show as the meat was the main event!
    Price wise it was dear for the area but the quality was excellent and washed down with a not to shabby Bordeaux the bill for 3 of us (Daughter elected for the rib-eye) including tip was $150. Considering our average spends for an evening meal was around $70 you can see how relatively it wasn't cheap.

The Lodge website

Tripadvisor page

Going to the Ghurka Cafe, Cockburn Street on Saturday night. Anyone been recently?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Was at the Pompadour for the first time on Wednesday. It's a stunning setting.

While it's silly expensive, the food was delicious and seasonal and I would go back without hesitation (once my credt card has regained consciousness). Seven course tasting menu and I would happily have every one of them as a full course in its own right, which was a surprise as I wasn't really anticipating a couple of them being so good - one was an asparagus and goats' cheese (not a huge fan of ether) dish early on that just really worked and the second was a blue cheese whipped cream that managed to be surprisingly really subtle.

You expect the service at somewhere like that to be faultless and it was (though I did overhear one of the waiters at the next table assuming two women were mother and daughter. Turned out they were sisters....ooyah!)
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This restaurant is over in Paphos/Cyprus so perhaps a new thread is required but thought I'd add anyway as folk will be going on their travels soon and Paphos may be on someones itinerary.
    If you're talking South West Cyprus, then these two need to be on your list:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau..._District.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau..._District.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Was at the Pompadour for the first time on Wednesday. It's a stunning setting.

While it's silly expensive, the food was delicious and seasonal and I would go back without hesitation (once my credt card has regained consciousness). Seven course tasting menu and I would happily have every one of them as a full course in its own right, which was a surprise as I wasn't really anticipating a couple of them being so good - one was an asparagus and goats' cheese (not a huge fan of ether) dish early on that just really worked and the second was a blue cheese whipped cream that managed to be surprisingly really subtle.

You expect the service at somewhere like that to be faultless and it was (though I did overhear one of the waiters at the next table assuming two women were mother and daughter. Turned out they were sisters....ooyah!)
    Good to hear it's still top notch, Fraser Allan exec chef has very recently left for pastures new, not sure who is heading up the kitchen just now.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Had the best Chinese meal ever in Karen's Unicorn last night. Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Where is that about mate ?

Ghurka Cafe was very good, very rustic interior, great food and service from our Nepalese waitress who is soon to be opening her own restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Abercromby Place.

Abercromby Place.
    Cheers Scouse, must give that a try 👍

Abercromby Place. It's not cheap but amazing food.

Abercromby Place. It's not cheap but amazing food.
    Cheers mate, is that Karen Wong, formerly of Karens at Meadowbank ? If so its no surprise her food is top notch, Karens at Meadowbank was always excellent fare.

@hibs.net private member PercyHibs's Avatar
    Yeah Karens is the best Chinese I've ever had. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for. I'm a regular. Haha

I was at Namaste Kathmandu on Forrest Road last night. Very very nice. All the meat was BBQ'd. Really really nice. Would highly recommend. Nvery reasonable too.

Cheers mate, is that Karen Wong, formerly of Karens at Meadowbank ? If so its no surprise her food is top notch, Karens at Meadowbank was always excellent fare.
    I assume it is, I was never in the Meadowbank one but it always got rave reviews.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone here been to Restaurant Mark Greenaway?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Has anyone here been to Restaurant Mark Greenaway?
    A couple of years ago. It was good from memory.