hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Is this bigger than other recent games with the OF?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this will define our season

16 20.25%
  • No, its just another game

56 70.89%
  • dunno

7 8.86%

Is this the defining game of Hibs' season?

All games against the Old Firm are big games, and you could say all 38 games in a season are equally big in the scheme of things. This just has a feeling of being a particularly massive game for us...

1. The media are starting to sit up and take notice of us
    2. Is the 'real' Hibs the ones who capitulated 4-1 at ER against the Hun, or the ones who beat celtic in Glasgow?
    3. Getting to the business end of the season, can we hang on to the OF's coattails and maybe grab a Champions League place?
    4. Start of a run of 3 away games in 6 days.
    5. Fully fit squad, no excuses for absences.

IMO this game will define what happens to this season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All games against the Old Firm are big games, and you could say all 38 games in a season are equally big in the scheme of things. This just has a feeling of being a particularly massive game for us...

2. Is the 'real' Hibs the ones who capitulated 4-1 at ER against the Hun, or the ones who beat celtic in Glasgow?
    3. Getting to the business end of the season, can we hang on to the OF's coattails and maybe grab a Champions League place?

No. No matter what happens today and to an extent midweek the game next weekend has a bigger impact on where we finish. From a european perspective next Sat is far more important. Win that and I think we are a shoe in for at least 4th place no matter what happens in the preceding games.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    No I don't think it is.

It is important, undoubtedly; but I don't think that we can say that it is the defining game of the season. For instance, what happens if we play poorly but not as bad as at Christmas, and the Huns win 2nil, and we then go to Perth and Motherwell and get 2 wins? We'd still be in the mix for 2nd, in the lead for 3rd, but pretty much out of the league race (not that any of us really believe that we can win that anyway).

I think 'defining' is a term, and a sense, that can only really be ascertained afterwards, with hindsight. So yes it's important, but no more so than the other games against the Rangers have been this season - which have all received the big build up.

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    No. No matter what happens today and to an extent midweek the game next weekend has a bigger impact on where we finish. From a european perspective next Sat is far more important. Win that and I think we are a shoe in for at least 4th place no matter what happens in the preceding games.

What he says

Quote Originally Posted by cockneymike View Post
    I think 'defining' is a term, and a sense, that can only really be ascertained afterwards, with hindsight.
    You're right of course. I just have a feeling that if we win today, we will kick on and maybe get second. If we get a doing, it could effect morale and our momentum could suffer with some tough away trips next week.

I'm more excited about this game than i have been in a while...

Come on the Hibs

We blew it big time when we got horsed by them 4-1 at ER. If we're genuinely challenging to do special this season then we need to win today. If we do, it might get interesting; if we get horsed again then we're looking at 3rd at best.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not sure about a defining game, but all six pointers have a big impact.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    You're right of course. I just have a feeling that if we win today, we will kick on and maybe get second. If we get a doing, it could effect morale and our momentum could suffer with some tough away trips next week.
    Totally agree with that concern, as the horsing at Christmas did have an affect for the Hertz and utd games at new year, so I agree, it's v big.

Here's hoping for another Ivan like perfomance!
    Last edited by cockneymike; 14-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I don't think todays result will make much difference at all.If we win, great, if we lose its probably expected. We don't measure our season on how we do against the old firm, we measure it on how we do against the rest, and we are doing fine at that.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Obviously talking with hindsight here, but I don't know how you can say that any game is "defining" in advance, short of it being an actual decisive game (ie cup final or semi final, last league game or two with something to play for). You can look back afterwards and say that this or that game was important, but that is hindsight talking really.

I think the first game was quite important, it set a tone in terms of the determination to keep at it, even if the performance wasn't that great. That has typified the season so far in a few characteristics.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    In as much as it defines us as runners up at very best, yes.

In any other way, no.

We're a much improved team from last season and we might qualify for Europe.

However, it will be the league placing in May that will define us.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Obviously talking with hindsight here, but I don't know how you can say that any game is "defining" in advance, short of it being an actual decisive game (ie cup final or semi final, last league game or two with something to play for). You can look back afterwards and say that this or that game was important, but that is hindsight talking really.

I think the first game was quite important, it set a tone in terms of the determination to keep at it, even if the performance wasn't that great. That has typified the season so far in a few characteristics.
    Since the result, I have altered my view, and consider todays game to have been just like any other game, with nothing to tell us about the rest of the season

I just hope theres no impact on the coming weeks performances...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    We could have played like champions and still got beat at Ibrox today. Celtic teams that have won the league have got beaten at Ibrox. It's not an easy place to go and win and whether you do or don't doesn't matter to us.

Not one team has won there in the leagu this season so we're not fairing any differently to any of our competitors excpet the Huns, who are champions, present and most likely next.

As was said above, consistantly picking up points against non OF teams is what will define our season as a success.

Whether or not we take 4-6 points in our next 2 games would be more of an indicator IMO.

If we play the rest of the season like we did in that first half today we'll be absolutely fine.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leith Sansiro
    This game and most games vs the old firm is far more important to the media and the old firm than it is the rest of the clubs ...funny that eh ......

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

See the win that we had against Celtic? Well I would swap that right now for a win against Dundee United a few weeks back. Make no mistake, Parkhead that night was great, but Rantic and Celgers are not our direct competition.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    If we play the rest of the season like we did in that first half today we'll be absolutely fine.
    Without making the keeper make a save like?

Since the result, I have altered my view, and consider todays game to have been just like any other game, with nothing to tell us about the rest of the season

I just hope theres no impact on the coming weeks performances...
    I'm starting to think the worst again...
    I blame that appearance on Football Focus 'Are Hibs Ready to Split the Old Firm?'...thats when it all started going Blobby-shaped

In that 6 weeks that have passed since the Rangers game, we've got 4 points out of 18 in the SPL, been embarassed in the Derby, been put out of the Cup by a 1st division team, and gone from being a shoo-in for Europe to struggling for a top 6 place.

What went wrong?