hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The cricket

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting series as SAF have the players who can do it with bat and ball and could yet turn it around.

England are only a couple of picks away from being a really strong side and could be top three as opposed to top five or six. They have to be mindful of succession planning though, particularly with Broad and Anderson. Also need to sort that top order, because they are genuinely solid in the middle order.

I've got tickets for days 2 and 3 at Headingley for the second Test vs the Windies at the end of August. I would expect England to be dominating that match if they are as good as they think - first match to iron out any kinks and come across any surprises, second match to demonstrate why they are so much higher in the rankings.

There was a good point made during 'The Verdict' on Day 5 - the WI tests need to be taken as the prelude to the Ashes series. No experimental picks, no messing around with the order or the selection. England need to focus on working towards that first Ashes Test, because they have the potential to have a very good series this winter if they show the concentration and determination they did at the Oval.

There was a lack of mental discipline evident at Trent Bridge which seems to have been sorted out - no one racing around screaming for a review, batsmen getting their heads down and grafting to stay at the wicket, Joe Root I don't think putting a foot wrong at any point in the match - not in any serious sense, at any rate.

Yup - the top order and who comes in when Anderson and Broad retire (which can't be too far off now, I suppose) are the main issues facing them now.

I'm beginning to really like JR as captain.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quite attritional stuff so far on day 1 of the 4th Test, England 85-1 so, once again SA will be batting last.

England now 92-3.

147-4 @ tea.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    147-4 @ tea.
    Nicely poised for the evening session. Root and Stokes can accelerate, likewise SAF can claim the two critical wickets.

Possibly the session that will dictate the result.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Root passes 5000 runs in test matches.

Root passes 5000 runs in test matches.
    Fastest in the modern era for England I think.

Still finely poised. Shaping up to be a great game, as part of a great series.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Won't see any tomorrow apart from the highlights on catch up on Sun morning.

SA been set a target of 380, currently 10-1.

18-2

40-3 @ lunch.

Gamer IDs

Good win and good opening series for JR.

Still need to do something about the upper order. Looks like an epidemic of 'brain-freeze' at 3 and 4. They know what to do, but they can't seem to get their arms and legs to do it.

And this WAS a weakened SA side, TBH.

However, onwards and upwards!

Without performing a forensic look in to it, if you make a decent score batting first, the worst result will be a draw. Root alluded to it on Monday and I get the feeling he must agree with me. :-)

Without performing a forensic look in to it, if you make a decent score batting first, the worst result will be a draw. Root alluded to it on Monday and I get the feeling he must agree with me. :-)
    There's never any harm in getting a decent score first up but that's the beauty of cricket.

What constitutes a decent score is informed by the weather, the humidity, the pitch surface, the new ball, the ability for a player to make an individual contribution whether that be a quickfire half-century, staying at the crease for two days or pinning the batsmen down with relentless bowling just outside the off stump. Clever bowling changes and fielding positions by the captain can all make a difference too. Then there are the individual battles within the greater fight, that can inform events - Atherton vs Donald for example - or when it's really one-sided liked McGrath against Atherton.

It's so nuanced and multi-layered, even though sometimes it is just one team demolishing another. It's what makes it great for me.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 10-08-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Ahead of the series opener against the Windies, this was a cracking read in the Guardian:

The scariest Test England ever played: terror at the hands of West Indies

1st Test v Windies

England win toss and bat first.

I'm struggling to see this pink ball on the tv.

14-1, Stoneman out for 8, good delivery to clip the top of the off stump.

Westley out for 8. 39-2

Root and Cook looking reasonably comfortable against a young and inexperienced Windies.

What odds that Cook will have yet another opening partner for the Ashes?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Why have the West Indies not played a spinner? I've been watching all day and they are struggling to make an impression. Surely they need a spinner in there to mix it up.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Why have the West Indies not played a spinner? I've been watching all day and they are struggling to make an impression. Surely they need a spinner in there to mix it up.
    They're playing Roston Chase

He's been bowling overs to allow them to rotate the quickies.

They're playing Roston Chase

He's been bowling overs to allow them to rotate the quickies.
    He's hardly a proper full time spinner. They've got a proper spinner in the squad that took a load of wickets in their previous day night game.

United we stand here....

He's hardly a proper full time spinner. They've got a proper spinner in the squad that took a load of wickets in their previous day night game.
    Are you talking about Bishoo? Last time out for the Windies, Chase got man of the match despite being on the losing side against Pakistan.

You're right about Chase, he's an all-rounder. His batting average is in the forties so he earns his place in the team as a batsman. Bishoo bats like a bowler

In terms of bowling, their economy rates are identical. First-class averages are pretty much the same too. Bishoo has a considerable edge on bowling average at Test level but he's got five years on Chase and his average isn't actually very good! Chase can improve, I think it's too late for Bishoo.

Edgbaston is a pitch that traditionally favours batting, but occasionally can work for seamers. If I was picking a spinner I wouldn't be picking them for their trickery, I would be picking them to hold down an end while rotating the fasts at the other. I'd also be looking for the spinner to offer runs when batting,which is why I think Chase got the nod.

Are you talking about Bishoo? Last time out for the Windies, Chase got man of the match despite being on the losing side against Pakistan.

You're right about Chase, he's an all-rounder. His batting average is in the forties so he earns his place in the team as a batsman. Bishoo bats like a bowler

In terms of bowling, their economy rates are identical. First-class averages are pretty much the same too. Bishoo has a considerable edge on bowling average at Test level but he's got five years on Chase and his average isn't actually very good! Chase can improve, I think it's too late for Bishoo.

Edgbaston is a pitch that traditionally favours batting, but occasionally can work for seamers. If I was picking a spinner I wouldn't be picking them for their trickery, I would be picking them to hold down an end while rotating the fasts at the other. I'd also be looking for the spinner to offer runs when batting,which is why I think Chase got the nod.
    It's hard to argue with what you've said, but on a pitch that was always going to favour the batsmen, I would've included the full time spinner and hoped that the batsman would do their job. Losing the toss ended any hopes the Windies had of making an impact in this test.

United we stand here....

It's hard to argue with what you've said, but on a pitch that was always going to favour the batsmen, I would've included the full time spinner and hoped that the batsman would do their job. Losing the toss ended any hopes the Windies had of making an impact in this test.
    Yeah, I get that and I see where you're coming from.

The Windies stock is at the lowest it's been in a long time and in fairness to England they are pushing right at the top, so you have to wonder whether the Windies are focused on reducing the damage - playing Chase would potentially reflect that. Bishoo would have been more attacking but also less safe?

Think you'e correct - batting first on this pitch is a dream and from all I've seen so far, Cook and Root are making hay. Some or all of Bairstow, Stokes and Ali will blast them on further and then Anderson, Broad and the new boy will have fun with them after the declaration.

I'm going to the 2nd Test at Headingley so if the Windies get stuffed in this first match, I hope they bounce back for the second though I'm not confident!

Far cry from growing up when the English cricket team were the whipping boys for the Windies and then Australia
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 17-08-2017 at 06:54 PM.

11 half centuries in the last 11 tests for young Joe, not a bad player. He and Cook put on a batting show against a mightily sub-standard attack (apart from the delivery that took the first wicket).

Yeah, I get that and I see where you're coming from.

The Windies stock is at the lowest it's been in a long time and in fairness to England they are pushing right at the top, so you have to wonder whether the Windies are focused on reducing the damage - playing Chase would potentially reflect that. Bishoo would have been more attacking but also less safe?

Think you'e correct - batting first on this pitch is a dream and from all I've seen so far, Cook and Root are making hay. Some or all of Bairstow, Stokes and Ali will blast them on further and then Anderson, Broad and the new boy will have fun with them after the declaration.

I'm going to the 2nd Test at Headingley so if the Windies get stuffed in this first match, I hope they bounce back for the second though I'm not confident!

Far cry from growing up when the English cricket team were the whipping boys for the Windies and then Australia
    I've never been to a test match. I'm going to have to try and organise a trip down some time.

United we stand here....

How far have the Windies fallen? My first memories of cricket were the West Indies fast bowlers destroying England. For the sake of the game I'd love to see them come good again. I know this is a bit controversial, but it's got to the stage where we've basically got 4 top class test sides( I'm not including Pakistan in that due to there problems) and the test match is coming under threat.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

How far have the Windies fallen? My first memories of cricket were the West Indies fast bowlers destroying England. For the sake of the game I'd love to see them come good again. I know this is a bit controversial, but it's got to the stage where we've basically got 4 top class test sides( I'm not including Pakistan in that due to there problems) and the test match is coming under threat.

It's been awful watching them the past two days. Michael Holding sounded so depressed. For anyone who remembers them in their pomp it's hard to believe that this is what they've come to. Some of them looked as if they just can't be bothered, and Holder's captaincy? What was all that about the new ball first day out? The manager has to send someone onto the dield to remind him?

On another tack altogether - I was watching the T20 Bash after the rain washed out the real cricket (). A lesson to prima donnas to lay off barracking the younger guys - Mohammad Amir and some catching practice ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40982016

The first one was just rotten fielding with no excuse; the second apparently he lost in the floodlights. (Or so he said.)

You'd think with his history, he'd have learned a wee bit humility.