hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Decline of Scottish National Football Team

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fed up hearing this BS that there is nowhere to play. Tell you what, its a decent night, take a trip to your local park, Leith links, Lochend park, Meadows whatever. Tell me how many kids are out playing football. They are all deserted, **** all to do with lack of facilities.
    Yip, plenty pitches available. It’s good people that’s needed and better coaches. There are way less clubs now than when I was a kid. There are loads of reasons for that concerning bureaucracy and child protection and that is where the money needs spent to help people who want to run clubs.
    I coach at Spartans and it’s the easiest place in Scotland to coach. Everything is done for us and we have amazing facilities. CPD courses are booked for us and our PVG paperwork is all handled by the office staff. We just show up and coach. That is nothing like the experience of most youth coaches out there. They mostly have to do all that themselves, build goals and get nets up, bring all their cones, footballs in their cars etc. And on top of all that they are filling in paperwork themselves when they get home.
    What needs to happen though is for that kind of support made available to every club. And that costs money.
    Every team playing in the top division in each region should have a coach with his UEFA B license provided to them. But again, that costs money.
    I’m just a volunteer coach who has a kid in the team. Already every kid in the team is a better player than I was at that age and I don’t have the time to study for the coaching badges that would really make a difference. They need high quality coaches if they are to continue improving. And I’m certain that is the same for most clubs.
    Wasting money doing up Hampden when we have so much else we could spend money on is madness. I’m certain that is the way the SFA will go though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I still think we’ll come good in this campaign. Lots of good young players around just now. Up to McLeish to mould them into a team
    Will take a 1-0 on Monday
    Totally agree we have a better squad now than we have for years. Time to back them rather than constantly slag them off. 4 0 hugely flattered Belgium we will be bettter with a better keeper in.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Yip, plenty pitches available. It’s good people that’s needed and better coaches. There are way less clubs now than when I was a kid. There are loads of reasons for that concerning bureaucracy and child protection and that is where the money needs spent to help people who want to run clubs.
    I coach at Spartans and it’s the easiest place in Scotland to coach. Everything is done for us and we have amazing facilities. CPD courses are booked for us and our PVG paperwork is all handled by the office staff. We just show up and coach. That is nothing like the experience of most youth coaches out there. They mostly have to do all that themselves, build goals and get nets up, bring all their cones, footballs in their cars etc. And on top of all that they are filling in paperwork themselves when they get home.
    What needs to happen though is for that kind of support made available to every club. And that costs money.
    Every team playing in the top division in each region should have a coach with his UEFA B license provided to them. But again, that costs money.
    I’m just a volunteer coach who has a kid in the team. Already every kid in the team is a better player than I was at that age and I don’t have the time to study for the coaching badges that would really make a difference. They need high quality coaches if they are to continue improving. And I’m certain that is the same for most clubs.
    Wasting money doing up Hampden when we have so much else we could spend money on is madness. I’m certain that is the way the SFA will go though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree cost of coaching courses is too high. There should be a bank of higher level coaches who go round the country at grass roots.

Fed up hearing this BS that there is nowhere to play. Tell you what, its a decent night, take a trip to your local park, Leith links, Lochend park, Meadows whatever. Tell me how many kids are out playing football. They are all deserted, **** all to do with lack of facilities.
    What about in the winter? How many affordable, floodlit facilities are there? Try getting booked onto Saughton 3G on a Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night for training.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    What about in the winter? How many affordable, floodlit facilities are there? Try getting booked onto Saughton 3G on a Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night for training.
    Its actually quite sad that you think you need to book a 3G in order to play football in the winter, or indeed that a weekly session on that would make any difference at all. However I think thats where we are nowadays, if an adult doesn't arrange a football session then forget it.
    Previous generations were more resourceful, we used to produce world class players, any patch of grass/concrete no matter how dimly lit would suffice, play 7 days a week, thats what gets you to world class.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    It was a terrible decision to get rid of Strachan and bring McLiesh back. We should have kept going with Strachan if the best we could come up with as a replacement was McLiesh. So backwards a step that it would never happen with any other country except Scotland. Jobs for the boys or the cheap option or whatever just a stunningly bad appointment.
    There are so many things that we need to sort but it will never happen until the SFA/SPFL stop pandering to two clubs, the blazers and the clubs stop being selfish and looking after themselves and look at football in Scotland as a whole.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    It was a terrible decision to get rid of Strachan and bring McLiesh back. We should have kept going with Strachan if the best we could come up with as a replacement was McLiesh. So backwards a step that it would never happen with any other country except Scotland. Jobs for the boys or the cheap option or whatever just a stunningly bad appointment.
    There are so many things that we need to sort but it will never happen until the SFA/SPFL stop pandering to two clubs, the blazers and the clubs stop being selfish and looking after themselves and look at football in Scotland as a whole.

we should have begged the wee man to stay on

with one condition he stopped picking the big girly craig gordon

@hibs.net private member
    Its actually quite sad that you think you need to book a 3G in order to play football in the winter, or indeed that a weekly session on that would make any difference at all. However I think thats where we are nowadays, if an adult doesn't arrange a football session then forget it.
    Previous generations were more resourceful, we used to produce world class players, any patch of grass/concrete no matter how dimly lit would suffice, play 7 days a week, thats what gets you to world class.
    I am a friend of a former Brazilian footballer. He was striker with Sao Paulo in the 60s. I got to talking about the falling standard of our game and harked back to the days of the tanner ball players here. “Ball?” He says. And then went on to describe how the great players of his generation in Brazildidnt even start with a ball, tennis or otherwise, rolled up paper and tape was the best they could do and never anything near the size of a full size ball. Street lights were a luxury but they played everywhere they cloud, day and night.
    Even as a pro at São Paulo, when they did have balls, he would practice for hours with a ball barely bigger than a tennis ball. Says the real thing was a sinche after that.
    Didn’t produce a bad bunch of players.

If we had more confidence in our abilities and stopped making excuses maybe we’d get back to the top of the game. Belief breeds winners IMHO

That's a nonsense argument. We produced good players in the past in spite of the lack of facilities, much the same as other coubtries. Now other nations are racing ahead of us because of their facilities and coaching infastructure.

I'd love to see more lads playing football in the streets but that's not going to get us to the level of Belgium, Croatia or even Iceland. I'm all for playing football for fun but to produce serious players you need the right coaches and the right equipment. A boys club can't train in a dimly lit car park on a winters night.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That's a nonsense argument. We produced good players in the past in spite of the lack of facilities, much the same as other coubtries. Now other nations are racing ahead of us because of their facilities and coaching infastructure.

I'd love to see more lads playing football in the streets but that's not going to get us to the level of Belgium, Croatia or even Iceland. I'm all for playing football for fun but to produce serious players you need the right coaches and the right equipment. A boys club can't train in a dimly lit car park on a winters night.
    Boys clubs dont train in dimly lit car parks, they all have better training facilities nowadays than any previously, but the standard is decreasing year on year and I speak with 40 years experience in the game, playing and coaching.

Boys clubs dont train in dimly lit car parks, they all have better training facilities nowadays than any previously, but the standard is decreasing year on year and I speak with 40 years experience in the game, playing and coaching.
    Maybe the issue is how the facilities are used. And I'd still challenge that we have facilities comparable to other nations of similar stature. Certainly not ones that are affordable to all.

On another level since failing to qualify for the 1994 World Cup France have been in 3 WC finals, winning 2 and 2 Euro finals, winning 1. Read about the top to bottom overhaul of the game after the 94 embarrassment and tell me that's a coincidence. They invested hugely in facilities and coaches, made it compulsory for teams to play young home grown players and developed a system in which it was almost impossible for a talented player to slip through the net. I was in Montpellier a couple of years ago and the facility that backed on to my mates house was 2nd to none and streets ahead of even what the likes of Spartans have here; that's replicated 3 or 4 times across that one, relatively speaking, small city.

We aren't getting to that level but qualifying for a major tournament is our WC final. Whilst other nations seem to have embraced change we still seem to be blaming Playstations and busy roads.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Imo it boils down to lack of participation.

When I was a boy every boy played, yes to varying degrees of ability but everyone played.

Half the time in places that they shouldn't, I lost count of the times we were chased by the parkie or the polis, but folk were so keen to play they played wherever they could

Huge games with later arrivals decided by a cock and a hen were commonplace

Everyone wanted to get in their school team / play for their boys club / play for their street / scheme.

As soon as you were big enough you played against folk many years older than you and it toughened you up.

In some ways it was a rite of passage getting picked to play by bigger boys

It was absolutely unthinkable that most of the boys that stuck with it to secondary school wouldn't then go on and play as adults

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a bunch of kids walking down a street with a ball, in my youth a ball was your most prized possession.

Nowadays it seems that mum or dad need to take them to a boys club to encourage kids to play.

Many lack the basic ability to cross or trap a ball as the only time they see it is at training.

Coaches do a great job but they cant make silk purses out of sows ears and far too often that is what they are tasked with doing through lack of numbers to thin down into good players capable of developing to a good standard

The transition from what was in my day A forms to the first team has always been fraught but one thing that really surprises me in Scotland is that very few teams sign players from lower leagues

Is it the case that the top teams pick up all the top talent and then put it through the meat grinder so that these boys either make it or quit and the lower teams only get to sign players who will very seldom be capable of playing at a higher level.

If that is the case that layer of discarded talent that might come good elsewhere is lost to the game.

Having said that I can think of very few players discarded as youths by Hibs who have made us regret doing so over the last 30 years, so maybe clubs know what they are doing?

Club 12 (2013) Supporter
    There's plenty of problems, the Soviet union splitting up, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia all splitting up and forming more countries with bigger playing pools hasn't helped.

But last night, we played 3 at the back for no reason other than to shoe horn Tierney into the team.

souter, Robertson, Tierney and Mullgree all play a back 4 every week yet we use them in a back 3 then put Fraser as a right wing back when he plays left midfield if I'm not mistaken for Bournemouth

Total farce

Left by mutual consent!
    Has the team actually gotten worse though? We've always been utterly dreadful.

The real problem is why do we continue to be pish whilst nations like Belgium have kicked on and become a world force?

It's shocking from a nation of football supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Has the team actually gotten worse though? We've always been utterly dreadful.

The real problem is why do we continue to be pish whilst nations like Belgium have kicked on and become a world force?

It's shocking from a nation of football supporters.
    Scotland used to have world class players.

The standard is decreasing but I think it is more to do with the lack of willingness to learn and to constantly practise. Kids are not interested in long talks about passing and game awareness unlike the rest of Europe. Possession play is alien to our nature and there is still the urge to launch it forward as quick as possible. Too many social payers in teams as opposed to those where the kids have a huge drive, will to win and want to listen and improve. Improving the standard of Scottish youth football has to come with good, knowledgeable, forward thinking coaches but also has to come from within the kids themselves. When I see the commitment at my laddies basketball team it really shows up how poor most kids are at applying themselves at football. Maybe talented kids think they don't have to put in the miles but guys like Cantona, Ronaldo, Beckham etc endlessly practised long passes, free kicks etc. I don't see kids desperate to stay late after training. They just want a kickabout. IMHO.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 09-09-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb View Post
    There's plenty of problems, the Soviet union splitting up, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia all splitting up and forming more countries with bigger playing pools hasn't helped.

But last night, we played 3 at the back for no reason other than to shoe horn Tierney into the team.

souter, Robertson, Tierney and Mullgree all play a back 4 every week yet we use them in a back 3 then put Fraser as a right wing back when he plays left midfield if I'm not mistaken for Bournemouth

Total farce
    McGinn seemed to be on the right of midfield a lot too. Baffles me how mulgrew and souttar are playing when hanlon is every bit as good. Surely this wasn't the game to play souttar. The whole set up was a nonsense. If I was fraser I wouldn't want to any part of it. He is doing superbly for Bournemouth and I don't see playing for Scotland developing his game. Just depressing to watch but the sad thing is we are all now immuned to failure and concentrate on our clubs.

There is no where for kids to go and play. Goals get locked up parents think its unsafe for the kids to play on the street and kids don't get that street football experience anymore. Mix that with the fact that youth coaches in Scotland are treated like crap and most of the good ones end up abroad you are left with parents who yes may try in their eyes to do the best running sessions at boys clubs ending up stunting the development of the players and a governing body who is just filled with dinosaurs all adds up to the first team being crap.

Anyone that listens to the Si Ferry, will notice the same statement from ex players. Everyone to a man says that dressing rooms back then as a young lad were much better. Yes they caught **** from the older heads, but they grew up fast and were better players for it. Get back to these young lads cleaning boots and earning there place.

No surprise that some of the best talent came from the streets playing fitbaw with jumpers for goal posts. This cookie cutter training from the academy's is guff. You listen to the ex players talking and it's all pass, pass, pass. Very little on letting the players express themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Imo it boils down to lack of participation.

When I was a boy every boy played, yes to varying degrees of ability but everyone played.

Half the time in places that they shouldn't, I lost count of the times we were chased by the parkie or the polis, but folk were so keen to play they played wherever they could

Huge games with later arrivals decided by a cock and a hen were commonplace

Everyone wanted to get in their school team / play for their boys club / play for their street / scheme.

It was absolutely unthinkable that most of the boys that stuck with it to secondary school wouldn't then go on and play as adults

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a bunch of kids walking down a street with a ball, in my youth a ball was your most prized possession.

Nowadays it seems that mum or dad need to take them to a boys club to encourage kids to play.
    That's much the way I grew up but looking back how much of it was down to the fact there was really little else to do. The options available for kids to entertain themselves now are huge compared to the 70s and that combined with parents safety concerns has put an end to street and park football. Id suggest the only places you find kids playing football all day every day are the less affluent countries of the world where those options don't exist. They are also the kids with the lack of opportunities and who see football as a way out of their environment.

Youth football is great and there are loads of dedicated coaches but for lots of kids going to football is just one activity out of a whole list of activities that they do every week. Its not the be all and end all it was for our generations.

I think Scotland will continue to produce good players and maybe even some great players but our relative affluence means that we no longer have the environment that used to mass produce them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I coach at Spartans and it’s the easiest place in Scotland to coach. Everything is done for us and we have amazing facilities. CPD courses are booked for us and our PVG paperwork is all handled by the office staff. We just show up and coach.
    Well done for coaching at Spartans! That seems to be a really well run operation.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Do kids in Croatia, Uruguay, Denmark, Wales, Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Costa Rica, Iceland and Bosnia (countries with similar or smaller populations above us in the ranking) never ever stay home all day and never ever play on game consoles as opposed to playing real football? Are Scotland somehow the only country in the world where kids stay at home all day, that somehow the shift to home entertainment has in fact eluded every country in the world except Scotland? All the kids in Croatia, Uruguay, Denmark, Wales, Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Costa Rica, Iceland and Bosnia are out there every evening and every weekend always playing football?

That excuse is bull**** IMO. It's the administration and the unwillingness to invest and progress in coaching that's at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Do kids in Croatia, Uruguay, Denmark, Wales, Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Costa Rica, Iceland and Bosnia (countries with similar or smaller populations above us in the ranking) never ever stay home all day and never ever play on game consoles as opposed to playing real football? Are Scotland somehow the only country in the world where kids stay at home all day, that somehow the shift to home entertainment has in fact eluded every country in the world except Scotland? All the kids in Croatia, Uruguay, Denmark, Wales, Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Costa Rica, Iceland and Bosnia are out there every evening and every weekend always playing football?

That excuse is bull**** IMO. It's the administration and the unwillingness to invest and progress in coaching that's at fault.
    In a nutshell.

The bleating about 'playing Xboxes' and 'tanner ba' players' is part of the problem rather than the solution. It's excuses and doesn't explain why other countries have dealt with it and we haven't. Harking back to some golden age is letting the SFA with their negligence.

I'm wary of mentioning them because I'm not on some of their Christmas card lists but look at what Helping Hands acheived in Edinburgh. Hundreds of kids enjoying structured and well organised coachung sessions with a bunch of enthusiastic volunteers. Just imagine there was the will at the SFA and SYFA to roll out a similar national programme at an 'elite' level. Instead we'll get more soul searching, reports and end up in the same position in 2022, 2026 and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    It will all be fine.

I'm sure that once Ernie Walkers Think Tank reports, it will have all the answers we need.

😂
    I remember that..was in the late 80s? A big start to show that things are changing is to ditch Hampden and move to Murrayfield. The people in charge of our game aren't even brave enough to do that!! The next step would be to get a director of football and professional chief exec appointed. They would, amongst other things, be responsible for hiring and firing of managers at all age groups. We have to do things differently if we want a different outcome.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Football has moved on since the days when we qualified for tournaments, and the world has also moved on too.

Parents want to know where their kids are 24/7, kids do stay indoor much more these days, entertainment in the home is a huge part of their lives now, but this is also the same the whole world over bar some of the 3rd world.

We need lots more proper organised coaching, with proper coaches who can teach kids how to play and learn the skills needed to reach elite levels.

As is the norm, not many will make it and most will fall by the wayside, but we are still producing some decent players, but give them the right facilities and give them proper coaching from people who know what they are doing and surely we'd produce more.

Its no secret that others countries are doing this and seeing the results, but of course its all down to money and how well its used.

One question we cant answer though, is have we the right people at the top who know how to do this and do they actually have the capabilities to take football forward the way it needs to go?

Don’t have all the answers but something wrong when so called inferior football nations consistently outrank us. Need real football people in at the SFA not blazers. I used to get a buzz and butterflies in my stomach when Scotland played and felt so proud of them. Don’t get this anymore. Thought it was an age thing as 60 next year but I still get the buzz before a Hibs game. Need a total overhaul of the SFA just like Hibs done post relegation and try to engage the fans more.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    The main downside to not qualifying for 20 years is the of finance received.
    N.Ireland got around £7m for the 2016 Euros. Imagine what Scotland could do with with that sort of money, even if we’d qualified for a few in the last 20 years or so
    How many indoor football pitches could we have built/employed more coaches
    I thinks the blazers would probably just see it as a good enough excuse for a payrise and lump-sum bonus for themselves.

Without question, the social shift in kids pursuits is at the heart of the National tram’s decline. You could easily argue that Scotland was punching well above its weight in the 50-80s due the sheer volume of young lads playing football day and night. However, the football authorities have failed to recognise and replace that, so we are where we are - finding our own level among the worst footballing nations in Europe.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    we should have begged the wee man to stay on

with one condition he stopped picking the big girly craig gordon
    I don't imagine many international bosses get begged to stay on after two failed qualification campaigns. Strachan was given two full campaigns plus half of Levein's final disastrous campaign yet at the end of the day we were no nearer qualifying than before. We didn't even make the play-offs and beat nobody of note when it mattered. Granted, we had a tough group for Euro 2016 but there was no 'bad luck' about that. It was solely down to the fact we'd slipped into the fourth tier of seeds due to our continued failure at international level. We actually got quite lucky with the World Cup 2018 qualifying group yet still came up short. I've no doubt Strachan did his best but there's only so much you can do with a squad that, when all's said and done, just isn't good enough.

Friday's result against Belgium can't really have come as much of surprise. In a match between the world's third best team and a nation which hasn't qualified for a major tournament in over 20 years I'd have thought the scoreline was pretty much to be expected.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Nowadays there are more children in Scotland play football on games consols than on football pitches.
    Until we get back to tanner baw fitbaw in back greens, I'm afraid we will continue on a downward trend!!!
    There’s still plenty football being played by kids in this country. I was at pitreavie playing fields on Saturday morning and there was hundreds of kids playing in the weekly U9s festival. It’s far more organised than it used to be all through the age groups. Something is going wrong with turning talented youngsters into professional footballers. Personally I think it’s down to the professional clubs. I refuse to believe that with all these kids playing every week that there isn’t talented players out there. Our current captain was released by Celtic and ended up at Queens Park ffs.

United we stand here....