hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Negri, Albertz (freekick) Gasgoinge and Negri again. You can watch the highlights here. https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4
    Ach well. Let’s call it an honourable draw.
    You got the goal scorers right. I got the Gazza free kick correct.
    Seeing the highlights, we had mor3 than enough chances to win the game.
    I recall that Negri fella was quite a goal machine. Over 30 goals before Xmas iirc.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I recall that Negri fella was quite a goal machine. Over 30 goals before Xmas iirc.

I remember watching the game from FFL, spewing. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I'm sure Negri scored a Hatrick against us in another game at ER that may have finished 3-4 to Rangers as well.

I used to love the old East. I always went into the same area since I started going regularly when I was 5 and then had the same seat in the front row down the stairwell to the left of the tv gantry for about 11/12 years until it was demolished.

Walking up the stairs at the turnstiles then down the steps into my seat was just so routine that it still feels a bit strange. If I ever dream about Hibs, I still dream that the old stand is there. Lol.

I do miss the madness in there. Probably the wildest stand in Scottish football in modern times. I suppose most teams will say that about their own “wild” area but the bench seating, smell of weed, low roof etc just added to it. Friends who support other teams all say the same.

The atmosphere at the AEK game was unbelievable. But the last minute Garry O’Connor winner (we only need 10 men) is probably the craziest celebration that I can remember.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    My best is probably the Dnipro game, packed to the rafters with 17500 Hibees, missed the Athens game as we lived abroad at the time.

Storming the south stand after winning the league cup was awesome, literally one of the first 4 or 5 bodies through the gates. I remember the people invading the pitch and when coming off one of them was greeted by a paggering by the hero known to my cousins who were there and myself as "fat bob". He came running down the steps from the back of the south and met the guy that came back over the barriers with a haymaker. Brilliant.

Worst is probably watching the decline of the team over the 2/3 years, can't actually put that in to one game. Gave up my season ticket the year before we went down and missed the play offs against accies.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    My best is probably the Dnipro game, packed to the rafters with 17500 Hibees, missed the Athens game as we lived abroad at the time.

Storming the south stand after winning the league cup was awesome, literally one of the first 4 or 5 bodies through the gates. I remember the people invading the pitch and when coming off one of them was greeted by a paggering by the hero known to my cousins who were there and myself as "fat bob". He came running down the steps from the back of the south and met the guy that came back over the barriers with a haymaker. Brilliant.

Worst is probably watching the decline of the team over the 2/3 years, can't actually put that in to one game. Gave up my season ticket the year before we went down and missed the play offs against accies.
    The bit that got the celebrations cut short, you mean?

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Best moments: 6-2 game, Hibs 4-3 Celtc SC quarter final, Hands of Hibs rally, Sunshine on Leith st the AEK Athens game.

Worst moments: the 2 relegations, CS gas v Celtc, Wayne Forster winner.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    One of my favourite moments perversely was being at the fairly flat poor match between us and Dundee Utd when it erupted upon hearing of Sir Albert Kidd's heroics and it becoming known that the Yams had hertzed it in the biggest bottle crash of all time. What had been a very poor football game at ER turned into great joy going home that glorious day.

The two cup games 4-4 and 4-3 against Celtic were very good games. One being the Pierce O Leary penalty miss. Can't remember the exact year. Remember terrific atmospheres at them both.

1980 was the worst year for me with Aberdeen winning the league at Easter Road and us going down in the same year albeit in saying that our family went to every match the next season and for a young lad like myself it was great fun travelling all round the country to grounds I'd never been to before.

Gloty Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Best moments: 6-2 game, Hibs 4-3 Celtc SC quarter final, Hands of Hibs rally, Sunshine on Leith st the AEK Athens game.

Worst moments: the 2 relegations, CS gas v Celtc, Wayne Forster winner.
    Wow. Wayne Foster. Forgot about that cup game. Another game we dominated and came out the wrong side of the result.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    There were some right battles between us and Rangers round about then. They had undeniably a stellar side but we usually gave them a game.

Best for me was the double penalty in the closing stages when we beat them 2-1 at ER. What a rollercoaster of emotion.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Best for me was either the AEK game or the 1-0 against hearts when we wrongly had Brebner sent off. Hadn't long got back from a family holiday and was convinced would miss the game.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    My worst was the 79/80 season when we got relegated, we were abysmal.

My best was the 8-1 v Ayr utd and the parading of the League cup and Drybrough Cup in 1972
    Last edited by Ringothedog; 13-01-2018 at 10:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The bit that got the celebrations cut short, you mean?
    That would be the pitch invasion, you mean?

Promising Youngster
    Negri, Albertz (freekick) Gasgoinge and Negri again. You can watch the highlights here. https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4
    Was at all 4 games but missed Riordan's goal so substitute that game with the unbeatable derby 2-0 2005

So true about the two 4-3 defeats :-\

Promising Youngster
    Being the age I am, lots of ‘bests’ and probably just as many ‘worsts’. Difficult to choose specifics.

2 ‘bests’ - Latapy’s goal in the 6-2 game and Riordan’s 30 yard screamer against Hertz (Craig Gordon).

2 ‘worsts’ - strangely, both were 4-3 defeats in games we should/could have won.

One against Rangers. We were 2-1 up at halftime. Went 3-1 up straight after the break. Then enter one Paul Gasgoigne. Scored a couple of goals, one a brilliant direct free kick. It was a game we shouldn’t have lost but did - ‘thanks’ to Gazza.

Second was a League Cup tie against Morton. 3-3 and they were given a free kick with seconds to go. It was never a foul but hey ho. They scored to win the game. I was gutted because we had played really well that night and didn’t deserve to get beat. Nothing changes eh?
    My reply above was for this post :-D

The worst was seeing Hibs knocked out of Europe twice by Leeds United when we should have won both ties.

For more recent times the derby wins have been great and all but when we dumped the huns 4-0 just after Christmas in 2014 I think? That was unbelievable and I doubt I'll be lucky enough to see us hammer that mob like that ever again. Worst ER moment for me has to of been the Hamilton play off. Not nice scenes on and off the pitch that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Late seventies I used to stand next to the tunnel in the standing enclosure, was good for getting autographs from players coming up the tunnel. Was stood there during a Rangers game when John MacDonald got sent off, when he came up the tunnel he spat a huge greasy gob in my face. Absolute minging thing to do to a young laddie, even if he was being given a hard time by the fans on his departure.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ones that haven't been mentioned for me are both from the Mowbray era, one would be the game vs Killie where we were 2 nil down at half time and won 4-2 and another when Riordan got a winner vs Motherwell in what felt like the 98th minute (think it was 2-1 in the end).

Worst would be when that fat B Phil Stamp and McKenna scored really late on in a derby to win it for them, sitting near the South stand near the West wasn't pleasant...

Also an honourable mention to the Williamson era as a whole which drained any enjoyment out of going to ER, at one point I was praying for record low attendances just so the board would pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The worst was seeing Hibs knocked out of Europe twice by Leeds United when we should have won both ties.
    I was at both but they wouldn't even feature in my top 50 of worst.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Ian Murrays tackle on Hinkel in front of West Stand. Hit him like a train,one of the hardest tackles I can ever remember seeing.

First Team Regular
    Best 6-0 v Falkirk and looking up to the half time scoreboard to see Partick were 4-0 against Celtic in the League cup final.

Worst. Juventus and the arrival of their ancient sub Altafini.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Ian Murrays tackle on Hinkel in front of West Stand. Hit him like a train,one of the hardest tackles I can ever remember seeing.
    Seen to remember him doing the same to Fraser Fyvie in one of his earlier games for the Dons. Fairly sure Fyvie missed a few games after that as well!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Seen to remember him doing the same to Fraser Fyvie in one of his earlier games for the Dons. Fairly sure Fyvie missed a few games after that as well!
    Iirc, Fraser was only about 17 years old at the time and that's why there was a big outcry about it.
    If you fly with the craws you get shot with the craws, I guess.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Iirc, Fraser was only about 17 years old at the time and that's why there was a big outcry about it.
    If you fly with the craws you get shot with the craws, I guess.
    Aye, tough one as you never want to see a player get injured but in that particular game Fraser wasn't holding back and leaving his boot in, Murray just plain nailed him and walked away leaving Fyvie rolling about in front of the dug outs.

My worst moment was turning quickly on the old terracing and banging my head on a crush barrier. Hit the deck and had a lump on my forehead like a duck egg. Worse followed when home cos my mum said I wasnt to.go in 1st place

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Aye, tough one as you never want to see a player get injured but in that particular game Fraser wasn't holding back and leaving his boot in, Murray just plain nailed him and walked away leaving Fyvie rolling about in front of the dug outs.

Iirc, it wasn’t even a free kick, correctly. Murray had an opportunity to win the ball fairly but clean him out as well, which he did.

didnt mark McGhee start whining after the game, basically saying players shouldn’t be allowed to tackle young laddies, conveniently forgetting he as the manager who picked him for a senior match.

One of the worst for me was being in the old east when Stamp scored in injury time to win the game for hearts, a match where we hammered them for 89 minutes and blew it.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Iirc, it wasn’t even a free kick, correctly. Murray had an opportunity to win the ball fairly but clean him out as well, which he did.

didnt mark McGhee start whining after the game, basically saying players shouldn’t be allowed to tackle young laddies, conveniently forgetting he as the manager who picked him for a senior match.
    Toss up between Real Madrid and Sporting Lisbon. Worst too many to chose one

One of the worst for me was being in the old east when Stamp scored in injury time to win the game for hearts, a match where we hammered them for 89 minutes and blew it.
    Arghhh. That was bad. Along with Foster in the cup game

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Arghhh. That was bad. Along with Foster in the cup game

Foster cup game I was in the old north with my old man. He went scatty.