hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best (or worst) Easter Road Stadium moment?

Seeing as we are all just a wee bit bored at the moment...
    How did you feel when the old East was cut in half or when they eventually put a roof on it? Or when they built that first new stand or the East Stand? Or when that pish electronic scoreboard was vaguely operating above the old Cow Shed? Did you shed a tear for the dismantling of the old TV gantry above the very old East Terrace? Or even the old main stand, was it a relief to see it finally go?
    What about when they supplied yellow kagools for away fans in the old Dunbar End?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Gutted when we built the new East, the old East had been my home for many a season! Block 42, Row X, Seat 119

Also gutted when they knocked down the East. Used to stand on my seat with my dad, and we’d go flying a row or two forward any time we scored a big goal. Half our view blocked by the TV gantry and pillars. The smell of stale smoke and pish from the toilets at the back still brings back an oddly beautiful nostalgia of my youth.

Worst moment was when they built the new East and didn’t make it symmetrical with the rest of the ground. Does my head in!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    i sat under the tv gantry for years and loved it, really good atmosphere, just doesnt have the same feel now

Play off against Hamilton. Still haunts me how abysmal those players were. Then putting songs on the tannoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Play off against Hamilton. Still haunts me how abysmal those players were. Then putting songs on the tannoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When they put bench seats in the coo-shed. Lost all the vibe. For the Sporting Lisbon game ( nae seats !) I was in about 6pm for a 7.30 k.0. What a night.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    When they put bench seats in the coo-shed. Lost all the vibe. For the Sporting Lisbon game ( nae seats !) I was in about 6pm for a 7.30 k.0. What a night.
    Yes that's the moment it did it for me. Wasn't used to sitting at the fitba and for some reason the atmosphere went right downhill when the seats were put in. Just didn't seem right.

Worst - Hamilton penalties. Best - Latapy putting in number 6.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    One of my favourite ER moments was storming the South Stand after the 2007 Cup Final.

The stand was officially closed and the polis were not going to let us in... but the fans would not be denied entry!

First and only time I’ve been in the South... some shocking graffiti in there!

The new east has grew on me. Didn't feel the same going to Easter road for a few years, the atmosphere and crowds plummeted, not helped by the ***** on the park it has to be said. But now it's brilliant for big games, especially against hearts. The sound of sunshine on leith echoing around the ground is superb. Some of the best atmospheres I've seen at Easter road have been with the new stand. The last 3 derbies at ER being particularly special.

Best experience had to be the AEK Athens game just as we went into extra time. Was in the South Stand and it was literaly vibrating.

Worst must be the CS gas grenade game vs Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Best experience had to be the AEK Athens game just as we went into extra time. Was in the South Stand and it was literaly vibrating.

Agree with all of that.

For worst I would also add the first home game against Them post Mercer merger. The atmosphere was toxic. One of the very few games I've left early.

@hibs.net private member

George Best's home debut was probably the most excited I have been heading to Easter Road and is the biggest crowd at ER I have been in. Easily 30k in my opinion. The AEK Athens game is without a doubt the best atmosphere I have witnessed. The singing section was the whole ground that night. The worst was the east coming down. It needed to happen but it felt like home to me and although I love my seat in the West it's not quite the same. To be honest some of that is because football isn't nearly as interesting as it was.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Was in the terracing for the AEK game and it was just phenomenal. Great game too!

Worst- either Kilmarnock at home or the following home game vs Hamilton that let to relegation. Gut wrenching sitting there watching a team with no heart sending the club we love in to the championship with no fight

Best - easy. Brondby at home, the first competitive game after 21/05/16 and the display/recognition the fans gave the heroes on their return. Even just being in the stadium about to watch a Europa league game knowing we're there because we're Scottish cup champions. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Gutted when we built the new East, the old East had been my home for many a season! Block 42, Row X, Seat 119
    I was in row V seat 115 and the guys to the front and left of me were absolutely hilarious.

Saw them every other week for years, don't think I've seen any of them since.

I loved the old East. We've had some good times in the new stand but it's not the same for me. I didn't think that seating the terrace negatively impacted the old East - everyone just stood anyway. The seats added an extra layer of bedlam to whenever a big goal was scored, with people falling all over the place.

David Murphy hitting an opposition player so hard with a tackle that he did a somersault was a definite highlight.

"False dawn" it may have been, but Charnley's winner v Celtic on Larsson's debut was a great moment.

Lowlights would be the all too frequent sucker punches Hearts had a habit of getting against us - Wayne Foster, Phil Stamp, John Robertson x far too many.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Best feeling might have been Latapys goal in the 6-2 game.
    Wasn’t at the home defeat by Hamilton as was on a stag however was present when we lost to Dundee United and were relegated.
    Worse moment however may have been getting pumped 7-0 by Malmo. The relegation defeats were to be perhaps expected but that defeat from Malmo wasn’t on the cards.
    I don’t have really any sadness about stand replacements.
    When you look at what he have now it’s amaxing, modern and still fresh. Unlike some of the other redeveloped grounds we’ve got a pretty top notch stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Best feeling might have been Latapys goal in the 6-2 game.
    Wasn’t at the home defeat by Hamilton as was on a stag however was present when we lost to Dundee United and were relegated.
    Worse moment however may have been getting pumped 7-0 by Malmo. The relegation defeats were to be perhaps expected but that defeat from Malmo wasn’t on the cards.
    I don’t have really any sadness about stand replacements.
    When you look at what he have now it’s amaxing, modern and still fresh. Unlike some of the other redeveloped grounds we’ve got a pretty top notch stadium.
    All of this. Malmo was literally a living hell to sit through. I didn't go back to ER for about a year after that.

I don't have any regrets about the demise of the old east it was a hole, the new one creates a brilliant atmosphere when ER is filled for big games. Like another poster said I wish they had built it a bit closer to the pitch like the old one was, time we extended the ends of the FF and south to meet up with it.

Best moment is a tie between the 6 - 2 thrashing of the Yams and the AEK Athens game ... all these years later ER has never managed to replicate that night, I think everybody in the ground was singing for the whole game.

The worst was a few years ago when we were beaten 4 - 0 I think it was by St Johnstone ... we were absolutely abject and it was freezing. I can genuinely say its the one and only time I have left ER after a game wondering if I would be back, thank fk these days are behind us.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I don't have any regrets about the demise of the old east it was a hole, the new one creates a brilliant atmosphere when ER is filled for big games. Like another poster said I wish they had built it a bit closer to the pitch like the old one was, time we extended the ends of the FF and south to meet up with it.

Best moment is a tie between the 6 - 2 thrashing of the Yams and the AEK Athens game ... all these years later ER has never managed to replicate that night, I think everybody in the ground was singing for the whole game.

The worst was a few years ago when we were beaten 4 - 0 I think it was by St Johnstone ... we were absolutely abject and it was freezing. I can genuinely say its the one and only time I have left ER after a game wondering if I would be back, thank fk these days are behind us.

How very dare you.

I accept the old East didn’t do much for the rest of the ground, but if you were in it that didn’t matter. The roof kept the noise in and the view out at the other three stands was good, especially under the lights.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Best - arriving slightly late but just in time to see Bobby Duncan's piledriver against Napoli
    Worst - Seeing Onion's leg-break.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    My best would be the first time as a four year old being taken to the old North stand for my first game by my uncle Gordon. The worst was the last game of the old main stand. Took my uncle along to the old North for that game for nostalgia as it was where we first went and realised due to his health and how much he struggled that it would be the last game that he went to.
    For purely football the best would be either the Souness debut or bearing Celtic 4-3 in the SC. Worst is a toss up between the relegation game v Hamilton or the game where we got beat 4-0 by Dundee the week after selling Mickey Weir to Luton

I agree with both.

I was thrilled when the East Terrace was finally covered in 85(I think). I couldn't believe how much more noise we could make.

I actually remember going to one game a bit late and being able to hear the Hibs support in full voice from halfway along Montgomery Street. Considering our crowds then were only around 5-6k, it was quite surprising.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Best - probably a European night - so my first. 6-1 versus Malmo.

Worst - all named above. Relegation to United and Hamilton bad, Brownlie's leg break - awful, 0-7 to Malmo... but the CS Gas moment made me think about dumping football forever.

Being the age I am, lots of ‘bests’ and probably just as many ‘worsts’. Difficult to choose specifics.

2 ‘bests’ - Latapy’s goal in the 6-2 game and Riordan’s 30 yard screamer against Hertz (Craig Gordon).

2 ‘worsts’ - strangely, both were 4-3 defeats in games we should/could have won.

One against Rangers. We were 2-1 up at halftime. Went 3-1 up straight after the break. Then enter one Paul Gasgoigne. Scored a couple of goals, one a brilliant direct free kick. It was a game we shouldn’t have lost but did - ‘thanks’ to Gazza.

Second was a League Cup tie against Morton. 3-3 and they were given a free kick with seconds to go. It was never a foul but hey ho. They scored to win the game. I was gutted because we had played really well that night and didn’t deserve to get beat. Nothing changes eh?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Being the age I am, lots of ‘bests’ and probably just as many ‘worsts’. Difficult to choose specifics.

2 ‘bests’ - Latapy’s goal in the 6-2 game and Riordan’s 30 yard screamer against Hertz (Craig Gordon).

2 ‘worsts’ - strangely, both were 4-3 defeats in games we should/could have won.

One against Rangers. We were 2-1 up at halftime. Went 3-1 up straight after the break. Then enter one Paul Gasgoigne. Scored a couple of goals, one a brilliant direct free kick. It was a game we shouldn’t have lost but did - ‘thanks’ to Gazza.

Second was a League Cup tie against Morton. 3-3 and they were given a free kick with seconds to go. It was never a foul but hey ho. They scored to win the game. I was gutted because we had played really well that night and didn’t deserve to get beat. Nothing changes eh?
    Negri, Albertz (freekick) Gasgoinge and Negri again. You can watch the highlights here. https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4

First Team Breakthrough
    When Albertz took his 30 yard run up you could tell it was going in. We had dominated the game up til then.

1) The night we beat Barcelona.
    2) The night we beat Real Madrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Negri, Albertz (freekick) Gasgoinge and Negri again. You can watch the highlights here. https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4
    I’ll watch the highlights in a minute. Before I do, did Gasgoigne get fouled for the Albertz free kick? Maybe that’s my recollection of how he ‘influenced’ the game and I’ve misremembered thinking he scored twice. Age catching upon me.