hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steven Caulker

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does being capped for England not rule him out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    He has already been capped by England.
    Only in a friendly though so he is still eligible to switch to another nation that he is eligible to represent through his ancestry.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If this works out, it's the best signing by a Scottish team in the past decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Actually made me laugh out loud !
    Me as well

Wasn't he linked with Celtic earlier in the window and in previous years? Seems like a phenomenal signing

This article on Caulker gives a good insight into why he has ended up at Dundee:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...g-drinking-qpr

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Didn't he play at the Olympics as well?

Really good signing for Dundee, a bit of a coup for them and the league as a whole.
    Dundee was always a bit o' a coup

Quote Originally Posted by cam75 View Post
    Dundee have had world class players over the years cannigia,ravvinela all be it the end of there playing years but players we would have been happy to play for us.
    Ggtth
    Quite correct, fairly good and class players but the'Dee also had Alan Gilzean, and by far the best , Gordon Smith. I must have been 6 or 7yr old when he was there but by all accounts he was better than the 3 together that I mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Wouldn't have thought that you would choose to recover from drink and mental health issues in Dundee?
    Why not? He'll blend right in.......

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Quite correct, fairly good and class players but the'Dee also had Alan Gilzean, and by far the best , Gordon Smith. I must have been 6 or 7yr old when he was there but by all accounts he was better than the 3 together that I mention.
    Gosh, Alan Gilzean. That's a name and blast from the past. A wonderful player for Tottenham if my memory serves me well.

Wish the guy well. The only real downside is that it gives McCann another opportunity to big himself up in the media again. He hates telling us how amazing he considers himself.

The Dundee Stokes ?

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    If this works out, it's the best signing by a Scottish team in the past decade or so.
    I think people are getting a bit carried away with the standard of English football. I'm sure he'll do well up here but be surprised if he's player of the season material.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    I think people are getting a bit carried away with the standard of English football. I'm sure he'll do well up here but be surprised if he's player of the season material.
    the standard in England is miles ahead of anything we have up here, fitness levels and tactical awareness is phenomenal, luckily theres a massive influx of foreign players and when england are playing, the english players dont gel well.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Correct. Sky Sports have done a great job of that. So many average players and clubs down there that get talked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    the standard in England is miles ahead of anything we have up here, fitness levels and tactical awareness is phenomenal, luckily theres a massive influx of foreign players and when england are playing, the english players dont gel well.
    Gary Caldwell made 100 EPL appearances and he looked very dodgy when he was with us. Obviously the standard is higher, but for the lower/mid table teams it's not miles apart.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Gary Caldwell made 100 EPL appearances and he looked very dodgy when he was with us. Obviously the standard is higher, but for the lower/mid table teams it's not miles apart.
    Feel that is harsh on Caldwell...he did have a few bomb scare moments I’ll Give you that...but in the main he was usually our best player - he would drive us forward from the back , distribution was good..and ultimately he got his move to Celtic , did well there and with the national team ...was a cut above most of our players ..

The media in England undoubtedly talk up the game down south to be a better standard than it is but at the same time you can't deny it's miles ahead of the level in Scotland.

Caulker down south wouldn't be in the top 50 centre halts in Scotland he's probably top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The media in England undoubtedly talk up the game down south to be a better standard than it is but at the same time you can't deny it's miles ahead of the level in Scotland.

Caulker down south wouldn't be in the top 50 centre halts in Scotland he's probably top 5.
    he wouldn't be in the top 3 on this hibs team alone. never mind top 5 in the country. it's dundee he's signed for. he's no beckenbaur.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    This article on Caulker gives a good insight into why he has ended up at Dundee:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...g-drinking-qpr

I was going to post this, remember reading it last summer.

Have a lot of sympathy for the guy, but he has his demons. Hope it works out for him at Dundee.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    he wouldn't be in the top 3 on this hibs team alone. never mind top 5 in the country. it's dundee he's signed for. he's no beckenbaur.

Caulker had enormous potential but never fulfilled it, due to off the field issues.

If he finds his best form again, I’m struggling to think of a better centre back in Scotland to be honest.

But it’s an area where we have strength in depth, and frankly I am much more comfortable with Porteous learning his trade alongside Big Daz.

Steven Caulker has his own issues to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

Someone with hefty off-the-pitch issues, like this guy, might well be playing in a team well below their skill level, so saying 'Dundee got him so he's bad' is maybe not a great indicator. The teams more appropriate to their footballing ability don't need to put up with the hassle of having them onboard, and they get ditched in favour of easier-to-handle players, leaving the lower teams to pick the players up cheaply, on the offchance they can cope with them.

You can see it happen with David Goodwillie - Clyde figures they can ride out the stigma of having a rapist on the team as long as that makes him affordable, and he stays one of the top goalscorers in the league. You'll also see it happen with Tony Stokes soon, once some lower team picks him up.
    Last edited by Aim Here; 09-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Spurs, Swansea, has a full England cap and scored vs Sweden. £8million player a few years ago. Ridiculous pedigree really.
    He just didn't register with me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Gosh, Alan Gilzean. That's a name and blast from the past. A wonderful player for Tottenham if my memory serves me well.
    Gilzean, Smith, Ian Ure, Bobby Seith, Alex Hamilton and Bobby Cox amongst others, and managed by Bob Shankly, in the 60's Dundee were a brilliant team, winning the league in 1961-62 and the following season reaching the semi finals of the European Cup, losing to AC Milan. Smith still the only player to win the league with 3 different teams from outside the Old Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hardly. He got a move to Celtic on the back of his performances at Hibs.

Folk seem to have turned him having a shocker right after the pre-contract came out into his entire Hibs career being the same. It wasn’t.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Hardly. He got a move to Celtic on the back of his performances at Hibs.

Folk seem to have turned him having a shocker right after the pre-contract came out into his entire Hibs career being the same. It wasn’t.
    I think that’s just the ying and the yang of football message boards. For every Gary Caldwell whose performances get worse over time there’s a Dominique Malonga or Grant Holt who get better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I think that’s just the ying and the yang of football message boards. For every Gary Caldwell whose performances get worse over time there’s a Grant Holt who get better. Then there are those players who were pure class but some people just can’t see it, like Dominique Malonga.

especially the last line.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Gilzean, Smith, Ian Ure, Bobby Seith, Alex Hamilton and Bobby Cox amongst others, and managed by Bob Shankly, in the 60's Dundee were a brilliant team, winning the league in 1961-62 and the following season reaching the semi finals of the European Cup, losing to AC Milan. Smith still the only player to win the league with 3 different teams from outside the Old Firm.
    Indeed, Dundee's heyday. So many great players.

I've got a soft spot for Dundee. Dont mind them at all. Partly because of Albert Kidd and partly because i work there! Always surprised at how many Dundee fans there are in the city compared to United. The attendances don't reflect that somehow.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    How has N’Gog been getting on at County? Maybe this is just a symptom of our own feel-good factor, but I do feel like the standard of football (at least domestically) in Scotland is on the up. There are some great players in the league at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Worth a punt. If it doesn't work out he could waterproof the showers.
    What a corker!