hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only lesson a kid will get from smacking is that smacking is ok. I don't get why some folks need to resort to it, there's much more effective ways of getting your kids to toe the line.
    I think that’s a bit black and white and there’s a danger of criticising people’s parenting here which I think is wrong and not what this thread is for.

I give my boy a smack on the bum when I feel he deserves it but I’m reluctant to justify it on here.

Like Mrs S. I feel I could take my 4 year old pretty much anywhere and not worry about his behaviour, I feel the way my wife and I have disciplined him has contributed to that.

Each to their own though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    The darts. Cant think of a more boring thing to watch on telly. Looks even worse being there!!
    Magic day/night out, dinnae fancy the BDO version though.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think that’s a bit black and white and there’s a danger of criticising people’s parenting here which I think is wrong and not what this thread is for.

I give my boy a smack on the bum when I feel he deserves it but I’m reluctant to justify it on here.

Like Mrs S. I feel I could take my 4 year old pretty much anywhere and not worry about his behaviour, I feel the way my wife and I have disciplined him has contributed to that.

Each to their own though.
    Sorry if it came across as condescending, it wasn't meant that way. I just personally see no need for smacking, not with kids anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Sorry if it came across as condescending, it wasn't meant that way. I just personally see no need for smacking, not with kids anyway.
    You’ve never met my boy

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I think it ties in with the earlier posts about time running away as you get older.

For about 5 years I met the same 3 guys most Saturday nights. We went for a few pints then went back to someones flat to watch MOTD then sometimes we headed out and other times we called it a night. We played 5 a sides together, a couple of us played 11s together, we were what would be termed best mates. Then it just stopped and I can't pinpoint why. There was no falling out and we have seen each other since but for some reason our friendship loosened.

The obvious answer is that life happened. One guy got engaged and is now married with 2 kids and still lives in Aberdeen, I moved back to Edinburgh, live with my partner and have a baby, another lives in Warsaw and the final guys lives in London. I have seen members of the group as individuals over the last few years and we all still consider each other mates but it's just a strange thought that the chances of us all having a beer together as a group of 4 like the old days is pretty slim. I sometimes struggle to get how that happens.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I really don’t ‘get’ the increasing submission to and prioritisation of the modern-day agent of ignorance, the mobile phone.

Fair play though, the perceived ‘need’ for these devices is arguably the finest confidence trick since organised religion!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct thread but I think it ties in with the earlier posts about time running away as you get older.

For about 5 years I met the same 3 guys most Saturday nights. We went for a few pints then went back to someones flat to watch MOTD then sometimes we headed out and other times we called it a night. We played 5 a sides together, a couple of us played 11s together, we were what would be termed best mates. Then it just stopped and I can't pinpoint why. There was no falling out and we have seen each other since but for some reason our friendship loosened.

The obvious answer is that life happened. One guy got engaged and is now married with 2 kids and still lives in Aberdeen, I moved back to Edinburgh, live with my partner and have a baby, another lives in Warsaw and the final guys lives in London. I have seen members of the group as individuals over the last few years and we all still consider each other mates but it's just a strange thought that the chances of us all having a beer together as a group of 4 like the old days is pretty slim. I sometimes struggle to get how that happens.
    "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da" - Paul McCartney

Left by mutual consent!
    Why everyone is using the word literally and mostly wrongly.

Ed Sheeran.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

It's not really in any way related to your post, but I saw a thing on Facebook recently that I found quite poignant.

One time, many years ago, you went out to play with your mates for the last time, but none of you realised it at the time.

You just sort of drift, evolve, move on, and stop doing the things that you did, replacing them with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I struggle to understand betting odds.

I'm ok with 2-1 etc but when it goes to 13-8 , 11-4 I'm struggling.
    I also know what the prices mean but can't fathom them at a glance as in what is a better price.
    Get them quoted in decimal format. You get 3, 2.625 and 3.75 for 2/1, 13/8 and 11/4. Easier than fractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's not really in any way related to your post, but I saw a thing on Facebook recently that I found quite poignant.

One time, many years ago, you went out to play with your mates for the last time, but none of you realised it at the time.

You just sort of drift, evolve, move on, and stop doing the things that you did, replacing them with something else.
    This is why grown men cry when watching the 'Stand By Me' movie.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Why everyone is using the word literally and mostly wrongly.

Ed Sheeran.
    Unfortunately, and disappointingly, it is now grammatically acceptable to use the word "literally" to emphasise or exaggerate a point.

My head literally exploded when I read that this informal useage had been included in the Oxford dictionary.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    And some women

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    People who drink coffee all the time, carrying those branded cups as if it's a permanent attachment to their hand.

People who take backpacks everywhere.

American football.

I get the concept and there’s the potential for a great game however for the life of me I can’t understand how people can put up with the amount of breaks in play.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The bar scene in The Deer Hunter gets to me in a similar fashion.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

American football.

I get the concept and there’s the potential for a great game however for the life of me I can’t understand how people can put up with the amount of breaks in play.
    it does get annoying, its better than it used to be they have reduced the amount of breaks this season because of complaints (viewer numbers dropping). But the big games will still be the same. Watching games on demand cut out the breaks for you and its so much better. Also try Redzone on sky during the regular season its a bit like Soccer Saturday but they show the games instead of listening to Charlie Nicholas.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I don't get why HMRC go after some poor sod working extra hours for minimum wage to make ends meet, yet allow businesses llike Rangers get away with £70m unpaid tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    it does get annoying, its better than it used to be they have reduced the amount of breaks this season because of complaints (viewer numbers dropping). But the big games will still be the same. Watching games on demand cut out the breaks for you and its so much better. Also try Redzone on sky during the regular season its a bit like Soccer Saturday but they show the games instead of listening to Charlie Nicholas.
    Cheers, I used to love playing an American football game in the computer when I was a kid so I do like the concept of it, i just find the amount of stoppages makes it impossible to watch (for me)

I was in NY when the super bowl was on last year, got back to the hotel room with a few beers (had been out walking since about 7 in the morning) and planned to just sit and chill watching it. There were less than 5 minutes to go until half time but from memory I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say almost 30 minutes later it still wasn’t half time. Ended up falling asleep and missing it all.

Bonkers

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Dance music and all its various forms

Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    Or, to phrase that differently, dancing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post

And rap.

grown men who like comic books.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    grown men who like comic books.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    You're a marvel.

Social media, what does it do that texts and emails don’t?

Instagram being one, I see my wife constantly tapping her screen looking at endless photos of, what I assume are celebrities.

Why Natalie Sawyer is no longer on transfer deadline night 😢

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Cheers, I used to love playing an American football game in the computer when I was a kid so I do like the concept of it, i just find the amount of stoppages makes it impossible to watch (for me)

I was in NY when the super bowl was on last year, got back to the hotel room with a few beers (had been out walking since about 7 in the morning) and planned to just sit and chill watching it. There were less than 5 minutes to go until half time but from memory I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say almost 30 minutes later it still wasn’t half time. Ended up falling asleep and missing it all.

Bonkers
    The super bowl is its own thing, they make the most money from that so they advertise at every opportunity. The regular season isn't nearly as bad. Look up Red Zone as I suggested it might be a game changer for you.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Unfortunately, and disappointingly, it is now grammatically acceptable to use the word "literally" to emphasise or exaggerate a point.

My head literally exploded when I read that this informal useage had been included in the Oxford dictionary.
    Hopefully it won't be followed into the dictionary by the word "useage".

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I don't get why HMRC go after some poor sod working extra hours for minimum wage to make ends meet, yet allow businesses llike Rangers get away with £70m unpaid tax.
    While I agree with the principle of what you're saying about large scale non-payment of tax, I'm pretty sure Hector chased some incarnation of Rangers through the courts for that money, and eventually won. Unfortunately, they were bust by that point and can't pay...(Although, my head's wasted with the Rangers and Hearts financial comings and goings, and it's entirely possible I just made that up )

Big game hunting.

The appeal of killing an animal for a trophy is beyond me. I know the apologists give all sorts of reasons why hunting is actually 'good for the economy', 'funds conservation' and 'takes place within controlled areas' but I still don't get it. If anything shooting an animal kept withing a confined and controlled environment makes it even less of an 'achievement' in my eyes.