hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs speaks

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. If you've not got any wide players who can beat a man, it's going to severely limit your chances of getting any.
    Of course. The ref in the play-off thought "hibs don't have any wide men so that means the Falkirk player can play round and round the garden with the ball."

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I didn't mind Stubbs moving on. Would have been happy if he stayed but it was his choice. That said, without wishing him to fail it was no real surprise that he was out on his ear so quickly. Not sure that many other managers would have made a better job of it either. Noted that Rotherham got relegated today. Maybe that makes the point.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    He's a class act.
    They can't defend balls into their box, quote Houston & he failed to get us out of that league.

Blog Entries
    I'm not disputing that but your trying to put it down to luck which is bollocks.

In 11 games v them he failed to win 9 losing 5, all in the same manner. Once is a chance, twice a coincidence 3 is a pattern. In the 9 games we failed to beat them they were exactly the same.

We did finish above a rotten Sevco side. The same rotten Sevco side that pumped us out the playoffs once they got someone in charge who knew what they were doing.

We did have a big unbeaten run last year but we also had a hu*****us not winning run when we disappeared out the championship race by February and collapsed to a level that saw us finish 3rd.

You seem to be forgetting that the teams we face in this league are rotten. A winning run like should've have been the norm in this league not just a 12 week period to reflect on.
    For a Hibs fan you use some ridiculous phrases to describe our team. "Pumped" by Sevco!! That would be a 2-1 aggregate loss when the winning goal was subsequently proved to be offside. Personally I think "pumped" much more accurately reflects a 4-0 win over Sevco,our biggest win over these opponents in our history. As that win was inflicted by a team playing the supposedly ludicrous diamond formation however it doesn't fit your agenda. Again you're selective with your stats. You mention a 12 week period, we actually lost 1 game (at Ibrox) in 6 months. You also mention AS failing to win 33 games in 2 seasons. NL has 15 fails already this season & he's not had to play Yams & Sevco 8 times! It's perfectly fine to debate the merits of AS as a manager, personally I think his personal balance sheet is well in credit. What I don't understand is the apparent bitterness towards a rookie manager & a fine man who delivered my greatest moment in 60 years of watching our club.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    For a Hibs fan you use some ridiculous phrases to describe our team. "Pumped" by Sevco!! That would be a 2-1 aggregate loss when the winning goal was subsequently proved to be offside. Personally I think "pumped" much more accurately reflects a 4-0 win over Sevco,our biggest win over these opponents in our history. As that win was inflicted by a team playing the supposedly ludicrous diamond formation however it doesn't fit your agenda. Again you're selective with your stats. You mention a 12 week period, we actually lost 1 game (at Ibrox) in 6 months. You also mention AS failing to win 33 games in 2 seasons. NL has 15 fails already this season & he's not had to play Yams & Sevco 8 times! It's perfectly fine to debate the merits of AS as a manager, personally I think his personal balance sheet is well in credit. What I don't understand is the apparent bitterness towards a rookie manager & a fine man who delivered my greatest moment in 60 years of watching our club.

Anybody who was in the frankly disappointing 14,000 crowd for the second leg against SEVCO two seasons ago wont have seen a more one sided Hibs v Huns game in their life and that probably includes the 4 - 0 pumping of them ..... we absolutely battered them and we had no luck whatsoever ...... about as much luck as we had against Falkirk the following season in fact ..... it wasn't just stoicism that encouraged the whole crowd to start applauding the team on the 85th minute that afternoon, we knew the result was an injustice.

In case its being forgotten Alan Stubbs didn't just win us the Scottish Cup, he came within a whisker of being Hibs second most successful manager of all time ....... whatever the ins and outs of his time at the club he is and always will be a club legend .... after that day in May how on earth could he not be?

Exactly. If you've not got any wide players who can beat a man, it's going to severely limit your chances of getting any.
    Or you have wide players who beat men but they just get

1. Booked for diving after getting fouled like McGeouch did today
    2. Clearly fouled and a goal kick given like what happened to Boyle today.

Refs are an absolute joke in this country.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    If only Lennon had an eye for a player like Stubbs did. Some signings he made.
    Some rubbish too mind you.

I would not be surprised if he is the Hibs manager before the summer.

I think Lennon will get us promoted and we might get to another cup final but I am not entirely convinced he will be here for next season and if Leanne and Neil have had any discussions on this then it wouldn't surprise me.

IF this happened then Stubbs, Dolan and Taff would slot in without any fuss.

The attitude towards Stubbs by some elements of our support is frankly embarrassing. Finishing 3rd and the run of form the cost us a title is excusable when you remember he took us to two major cup finals in the same season. But he didn't play with wingers or fight with Jim Duffy so we will slate him and be happy with draws and (probably) a smaller points tally.

Stubbs speaks

QUOTE]

Listen, I will be forever grateful for that day in May last year, the holy grail ffs, but for one minute think, if SDG hadn't scored and we lost the final, would Stubbs be held in such high regard? If we hadn't won his record in cups and trying ton get us promoted would have been classed as a failure, but , we won, but we should have had promotion too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Thank you to Stubbs for winning the cup. A Hibernian legend.

But his time has been and gone and we must support our current manager

Sums it right up

Last season is and most likely will be the best season watching Hibernian of my life.
    A season filled with so many highs and a few crushing lows to go along, yes at the end of the day we failed to get promotion but I would spend 10 more years in the Championship if I got anything close to the emotions which I often had last season coming home from matches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guthrie01 View Post
    Sums it right up

Last season is and most likely will be the best season watching Hibernian of my life.
    A season filled with so many highs and a few crushing lows to go along, yes at the end of the day we failed to get promotion but I would spend 10 more years in the Championship if I got anything close to the emotions which I often had last season coming home from matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Stubbs and everyone else involved in the cup win will be remembered as Hibs legends.

However, I wasn't convinced he was the answer and many would have been happy with him sacked if we lost the final. He left at the perfect time.
    I honestly believe that he had made his mind up and agreed to leave hibs before the cup final. Possibly thinking that due to a failure to get promotion and having no confidence in a cup win, there would be calls for him to go. Now he regrets leaving because we won the cup and he now realises that he could still have been in football.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Tough to get them all right. I'd argue he got in some of our best signings in years and years (McGinn, McGregor for example).

I don't think any of Lennon signings (excluding the emergency loans) where he has identified a player himself have made us any stronger than last year imo.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Tough to get them all right. I'd argue he got in some of our best signings in years and years (McGinn, McGregor for example).

I don't think any of Lennon signings (excluding the emergency loans) where he has identified a player himself have made us any stronger than last year imo.
    Marciano?

He made very very few bad signings.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    :
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    I would not be surprised if he is the Hibs manager before the summer.

I think Lennon will get us promoted and we might get to another cup final but I am not entirely convinced he will be here for next season and if Leanne and Neil have had any discussions on this then it wouldn't surprise me.

IF this happened then Stubbs, Dolan and Taff would slot in without any fuss.
    I would be....

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Legend. Absolute legend. Class in abundance also.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's absolutely no doubt Stubbs could get the players up for the big games. Hearts, Sevco, cup games - no problem.

The problem is however, is this league is the opposite. We rarely have big games and pretty much every week we were playing against teams that have no interest in in doing anything but shutting up shop. Set up narrow and hope to catch us at a set piece.

Stubbs set up played right into the opposition's hands. The diamond was narrow and crowded and we couldn't defend a set piece. This happened constantly for 2 years.

Meanwhile Hearts record v us & Sevco was 50-50 but they romped the league by pumping the crap in this league comfortably. Played 2 wide players, stretched the pitch and destroyed them. They were winning games by scoring 4,5,6 and even 10. Sevco did the same. Plenty width, McKay, Wagnorn, Tavernier, Wallace. Pumped all the crap and had the league pretty much sewn up by the end of Feb. Meanwhile we just passed the ball in front of back 10's.

As for Lennon, it's hard to argue he's done much better, but saying that this is pretty much Stubbs squad and he's constantly bemoaning it's ability to get up for the little games.

Blog Entries
    There's absolutely no doubt Stubbs could get the players up for the big games. Hearts, Sevco, cup games - no problem.

The problem is however, is this league is the opposite. We rarely have big games and pretty much every week we were playing against teams that have no interest in in doing anything but shutting up shop. Set up narrow and hope to catch us at a set piece.

Stubbs set up played right into the opposition's hands. The diamond was narrow and crowded and we couldn't defend a set piece. This happened constantly for 2 years.

Meanwhile Hearts record v us & Sevco was 50-50 but they romped the league by pumping the crap in this league comfortably. Played 2 wide players, stretched the pitch and destroyed them. They were winning games by scoring 4,5,6 and even 10. Sevco did the same. Plenty width, McKay, Wagnorn, Tavernier, Wallace. Pumped all the crap and had the league pretty much sewn up by the end of Feb. Meanwhile we just passed the ball in front of back 10's.

As for Lennon, it's hard to argue he's done much better, but saying that this is pretty much Stubbs squad and he's constantly bemoaning it's ability to get up for the little games.
    Fair enough but unfortunately the facts don't back you up. With the much maligned diamond AS won 21 games both seasons. We will have to win our last 5 games to match that this season. Similarly with goals, we will definitely not equal the 14/15 season total & we probably won't match last season's either. You say it's mostly Stubbs' team but the key difference is upfront. Dom, Stokes & Keatings scored 29 goals last season. Holt, Graham & Keatings have scored less than 50% of that (14) so far this season. So the failure to break down a packed defence can't really be laid at the door of the diamond formation. It's much more that we're too slow, too predictable & insufficiently inventive in our build up play. That & the fact that our support strikers, in particular, H & G, lack the quality of Malonga & Stokes.

First Team Breakthrough
    Alan Stubbs gave Hibs fans our pride back after years of crap . For that, he was a success at Hibs for me.

Quote Originally Posted by West lower View Post
    Alan Stubbs gave Hibs fans our pride back after years of crap . For that, he was a success at Hibs for me.
    This. Gutted he didn't get us up but he gave me some of my best memories supporting Hibs

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough but unfortunately the facts don't back you up. With the much maligned diamond AS won 21 games both seasons. We will have to win our last 5 games to match that this season. Similarly with goals, we will definitely not equal the 14/15 season total & we probably won't match last season's either. You say it's mostly Stubbs' team but the key difference is upfront. Dom, Stokes & Keatings scored 29 goals last season. Holt, Graham & Keatings have scored less than 50% of that (14) so far this season. So the failure to break down a packed defence can't really be laid at the door of the diamond formation. It's much more that we're too slow, too predictable & insufficiently inventive in our build up play. That & the fact that our support strikers, in particular, H & G, lack the quality of Malonga & Stokes.
    We did win 21 games in both seasons but let's be honest, that'd be a fantastic total in the top league but not this one.

I'm not disputing we could break teams down with the diamond, I'm just saying that it was a lot harder. We'd rarely win games by more than a goal. As a result the likelihood of us conceding an equaliser increased which we did on countless occasions.

The champions both seasons put teams away early. I lost count of the times Hearts and Sevco were out of site in their games while we were still slogging away in front of yet another parked bus.

Failing to win promotion in successive seasons was disappointing but the Scottish Cup win was the greatest day of my life and for that he is a legend in my eyes and all of the negatives become irrelevant.

Alan Stubbs is a legend of this club and is welcome back at Easter Road any time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Failed to get us scoring, cost him his job. Lennon has also failed on that front but will survive because we are top. Such is football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a load of balderdash, cobblers and baloney as well. Nothing cost him his job - he decided to leave, for whatever reasons, but left, and remains a Hibs hero - not a chance he was sacked for not scoring enough as the three goals scored at Hampden on 21st May would have secured him a job for as long as he wanted it.

As for the interview - "after winning the cup, a part of me was asking, ‘how do I top this?’.......at the time, I felt it was the right decision to leave. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong club to go to.”I thought as much and cannot argue he would not have had a hard time topping the cup win. But re Rotherham being the wrong club - I could have told him that for nothing! For a small club like Rotherham their best chance of staying in the English Championship would have been to emulate Wimbledon of the 90s rather than Stubbs' expansive style - a match doomed to failure I thought. Funny how someone that knows enough about football to build the team that broke Hibs' 114 year cup hoodoo - and did it with great style - could not see something as blindingly obvious as that!
    Last edited by basehibby; 02-04-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Read the interview

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Failed to get us scoring, cost him his job. Lennon has also failed on that front but will survive because we are top. Such is football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing "cost him his job" as he wasn't sacked. Leeann Dempster said at the time that she tried in vain to convince him to stay so that is blatantly untrue.

Coaching Staff

You have to give Lennon credit for Commons and Ambrose. Why wouldn't you?

Martziano, Holt and Shinnie have all contributed. Laidlaw has done okay when needed overall.

Stubbs had plenty of misses too given he was allowed to sign lots of players. Three keepers that were pretty debatable in impact, Sinclair, Dagnall, Watson, Feruz, Dje Dje, Kennedy and Eckersley for example.

You have to give Lennon credit for Commons and Ambrose. Why wouldn't you?

Martziano, Holt and Shinnie have all contributed. Laidlaw has done okay when needed overall.

Stubbs had plenty of misses too given he was allowed to sign lots of players. Three keepers that were pretty debatable in impact, Sinclair, Dagnall, Watson, Feruz, Dje Dje, Kennedy and Eckersley for example.
    I remember seeing a "worst players signed by Ferguson for Man Utd XI" and it was absolutely bowfin.

It's harsh to judge Stubbs by his worst signings. Yes, as with every other manager he bought his turkeys, but to be fair to him he tended to move them on quickly.

One of Lennon's biggest problems is the high bar that's been set by the quality of signing that Stubbs made. Whilst there's a lot of "glass half empty" posters who would denigrate most of Lennon's signings, a decent case could be made that just about all of them have been successful.