hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    It's a steep price to pay........ but i'll be putting up with yankee accents for the next several hours.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I know they struggled to sell tickets but come on the place is empty still.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    It's so boring here. How did I pass the time eating the buffet and getting drunk at Goose Island. Now we are sitting in the lower bowl,struggling to get interested. I can't believe how stupid we were. I could have left this money to relatives when I die and stayed home pontificating about what is good or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tyson and LeBron James

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Fight delayed due to PPV outages.

No sleep for me
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Various sources reporting a delay in the fight starting due to PPV demand, as happened with the Pacquiao fight. No new time given.

Left by mutual consent!
    I want an hour or two kip before I have to get the train to Dundee so it better start soon.

Starting now

So I relented and watched.

Faif play to McGreggor. Started like a train, as I thought he would, and won the 1st 3 rounds. Mayweather getting on top now though and is a round up now imo. Lamded some heavy shots in the last 2 and McGreggor looks tired.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

This is getting a bit uncomfortable to watch. I really don't like the way McGreggors head is snappong back when he gets hit.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

All over. Good refereeing. McGreggor was in danger of being seriously hurt there.

Fair play to McGregor. Congrats to Floyd for 50-0.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Froch is such a boxing snob.
    Entertaining fight. Much more entertaining than a LOT of people expected. It probably went the way most people thought but all froch done was talk down Mcgregor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    mayweather was in control for most of the fight, could see the gulf in boxing class, i thought skys commentary was very poor, time to get them in the octagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is getting a bit uncomfortable to watch. I really don't like the way McGreggors head is snappong back when he gets hit.
    How on earth did McGregor not get penalised for hitting back of Floyds head?

Conor questioning the stoppage after the fight, if you've not thrown a punch in a minute and being hit constantly of course it'll be stopped.

If anyone watched on a Showtime stream, I think Paulie Malignaggi gave a well rounded and fair review of it all (yes, really).

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    How on earth did McGregor not get penalised for hitting back of Floyds head?
    You mean the floyd that turned his back at every opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I fully expected a mayweather win, but he played up on the "UFC" tactics at every possible opportunity

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Conor questioning the stoppage after the fight, if you've not thrown a punch in a minute and being hit constantly of course it'll be stopped.

If anyone watched on a Showtime stream, I think Paulie Malignaggi gave a well rounded and fair review of it all (yes, really).
    Agreed. No questions about the stoppage from a boxing point of view. Although, from a MMA point of view, I see why he questioned it - that's not where he was fighting tho

I thought it was a good fight and so did my wife and everyone around us. Mayweather might have let him linger, I don't know, but I saw McGregor take punches. Nobody lost here except the contrite individuals whose consciousness upon waking is a farce.

The most memorable thing about today was not Mayweather vs McGregor but my wife complaining to Mikey about Hibs.net and in particular about it causing me to laugh frequently in the wee hours of the morning. Mikey is a legend in my book and his legacy is the best forum on the internet - football or otherwise.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    You mean the floyd that turned his back at every opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I fully expected a mayweather win, but he played up on the "UFC" tactics at every possible opportunity

That's what he does, he didn't play it up because it was McGregor.

Gamer IDs

I thought Mayweather was quite happy to let McGregor win the early rounds. Knew exactly what he was doing. McGregor might have looked the part early on, but he was never hurting Floyd and all the time just draining himself.

It was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight, McGregor got away with a lot more than a fighter would usually get away with.

It was right that the ref stopped it obviously, but I would have loved another minute or so to see McGregor get his heid taken clean off.

Nae point in a rematch, hope there isn't one, exactly same thing would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I thought Mayweather was quite happy to let McGregor win the early rounds. Knew exactly what he was doing. McGregor might have looked the part early on, but he was never hurting Floyd and all the time just draining himself.

It was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight, McGregor got away with a lot more than a fighter would usually get away with.

It was right that the ref stopped it obviously, but I would have loved another minute or so to see McGregor get his heid taken clean off.

What's with this 'it was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight'? Mcgregor lasted 10 rounds and it wasn't all one way. And Mayweather certainly didn't know what he was doing in the early rounds, he as good as admitted that after the match by admitting that McGregor was a lot better than he thought. If it was a farcical as your making out it would have been over a lot earlier than the 10th.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    What's with this 'it was meant to be treated like a real boxing fight'? Mcgregor lasted 10 rounds and it wasn't all one way. And Mayweather certainly didn't know what he was doing in the early rounds, he as good as admitted that after the match by admitting that McGregor was a lot better than he thought. If it was a farcical as your making out it would have been over a lot earlier than the 10th.
    Think it's quite clear what I was saying. It was meant to be treated like a real boxing match, but McGregor got away with illegal punches without punishment. Would never have happened under normal circumstances.

You might think Mayweather didn't know what he was doing early on. I disagree completely. This is one of the best fighters of all time. He knew.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Malignaggi wants to fight McGregor on St Patricks Day next year.

Paulie is so far past his best and so much smaller that McGregor actually has a chance imo. I wonder how easy McGregor will find it to go back to UFC. He made $27M from 2 fights last year in MMA. Whilst every boxing fight isn't against a draw like Mayweather, if he could establish himself at welterweight or light middleweight (and he'd be parachuted in near the top end) he could make a more than that boxing.

I must be one of the few people who think McGregor comes out of it better than Floyd. It took Floyd almost 10 rounds to beat a guy who has never had a professional boxing contest previously and that was wearing 8oz gloves. Can you imagine Sugar Ray Leonard or Tommy Hearns taking 10 rounds to dispose of him? Yes he is more of a defensive fighter but he didn't fight particularly defensive last night.

Fair play to McGregor , he has a great chin and fought for almost 30 minutes against the best boxer of his generation. If the roles were to be reversed and it took place in MMA it's likely the fight wouldn't last a tenth as long as it did for last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Mayweather knew what he was doing in that Mcgregor clearly punched himself out. He was throwing a lot but did he ever hurt Mayweather? Apart from the big uppercut in the 1st I struggle to think of any heavy shots he landed.

It wasn't a farce at all but Mayweather often starts slow whilst he works opponents out. Once he realised McGregor wasn't going to hurt him and didn't have the guile to catch him clean he let him throw his shots in the early rounds before planting his feet and throwing his own from the mid 4th onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Agreed. No questions about the stoppage from a boxing point of view. Although, from a MMA point of view, I see why he questioned it - that's not where he was fighting tho

lol welcome to Floyd's world. It's still illegal.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    Nobody lost here except the contrite individuals whose consciousness upon waking is a farce.
    Ian....is that you? I've missed you man!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    It's so boring here. How did I pass the time eating the buffet and getting drunk at Goose Island. Now we are sitting in the lower bowl,struggling to get interested. I can't believe how stupid we were. I could have left this money to relatives when I die and stayed home pontificating about what is good or not.

Is this a pic before the main event?