hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hibs club v st pats branch

Just read this on the bounce, seems like the hibs club (well more like mike Riley) are wanting to ban the St pats branch from the club. This is not the time to start spats

Yesterday the talk of the Steamie at Starks Park was the goings on by Chairman Mike Riley and the Trustees of the Hibernian Supporters Association (HSA) with regards to talk of expulsion of St. Pat's from the tHSA. Details of what has happened, as outlined to St. Pat's members, has been obtained and reproduced below to explain some of the questions asked.

A source close to the Branch said that 'I am told that the Branch Committee are furious that at a time when all Hibs Supporters should be getting behind the team and building bridges with the Club there are those who would rather conduct an ill thought out petty witch hunt.'

A serious situation has arisen over the past period, as eluded to at our last Branch meeting. To recap for those not present, Chairperson Dougie McLeod prior to the end of business and the entrance of our two Turnbull's Tornadoes speakers that night, John Brownlie and John Blackley, informed the 50 members present of a meeting which had taken place along with Branch Secretary Gordon McKinley and the 5 Trustees of the Hibernian Supporters Association/Club a few weeks previously. The meeting was suggested by our Branch Committee in order to explain in a friendly manner the reasoning behind our proposed changes to further modernise and HSA rulebook (see attachment). This was intended to help prevent any misunderstanding at the Hibernian Supporters Association AGM, on Sunday the 5th of April.

Within a fairly short period of discussion HSA Chairperson Mike Riley was accusing our Branch of all sorts and behaving quite frankly in a manner not befitting a person in his position. At one point he reacted to the suggestion by a fellow Trustee that 'some people out there, would like St. Pat's expelled from the Association' by hissing 'and we have the f****** power to do that'. To his credit HSA Treasurer Colin Rich said they could not do that. At another point when we suggested that the right to amend HSA Rules is enshrined in the Rule book he shouted 'Democracy, I will show you f****** democracy at the AGM'. To which Dougie said that he was acting like a bully and Gordon said that neither he, Dougie nor St. Patrick's Branch members would be bullied by him. The swearing continued and Gordon asked that he refrain from doing so twice. He said that he did not have to f****** listen to this and stormed out of the meeting.

The other four Trustees did not follow him out and continued to have a calm, reasoned meeting where on some items we agreed to disagree.

Whilst we were having our very successful Branch meeting someone pointed out that the Trustees were having a meeting upstairs with the Officials of a minority of Supporters Branches at the same time as ours and of which we had neither been informed of nor invited to.

It transpired subsequently that this meeting which was purported to be to discuss St. Patrick's resolutions, however inevitably became a vehicle to discuss the apparent obsession that HSA Chairperson Mike Riley has with the possible expulsion of our Branch from the HSA. It should be remembered that at last years AGM he had to deny the accusation from a Branch member, that he had raised expulsion of St. Patrick's Branch with her and others . At their meeting they also discussed the need to take legal advice, as to whether they could actually expel us ( It seems our presence to defend any allegations, Natural Justice at Law, nor valid and sufficient reason to progress this, crossed their minds). Again a big thanks goes out to HSA Treasurer Colin Rich who had the nouse to oppose the suggestion of such calamitous action.

Whether or not this threat to our Branch's very existence transpires, I for one, knowing how much work that I and many others have put in to create our truly active Hibernian Supporters Branch, from 5 members 5 years again to our present membership of 330+ and do not propose to wait or sit back and let this happen and am sure that you will all feel the same way.

We, as you know have been working with Hibernian FC at every level we possibly can and feel that at a time when Hibs seem to be turning the corner, a Semi Final and possibly a Final within our grasp, promotion back to where we belong a real possibility and good new initiatives being introduced by the Hibernian Management, that anyone engaging in self indulgent statements, or in distractions which take away from this course of action, will not be forgiven by fellow Hibs Supporters.

We have been told that HSA Chairperson Mike Riley and cohorts are straining every sinew to mobilize as many people to attend the AGM on Sunday 5th April at 12.00 as possible. The Branch Committee ask that our members also make an almighty effort to attend this meeting, to ensure that St. Pat's survive any potential attempt at the first witch-hunt of any Branch in the history of the Hibernian Supporters Association.

With farce always comes along irony not far behind. Two weeks ago our Branch Patron and Honorary Branch member Patrick Gordon Stanton presented a gift and an Honorary Branch membership to Sammy Martinez in appreciation of the wee man's 70 years of devotion to Hibernian FC. If some folk have their way the oldest living Hibernian Supporter could become the shortest lived Honorary member!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Remarkable and pretty undemocratic sounding if true - makes the main players in the supporters club set up appear more like the flat earth society and looking to bully out any threat to the status quo.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    Mike Reilly

Sorry, I just cant take this guy serious at all.

Sorry what ? There was just too many words there.

Would it be safe to assume that Mike O'Reilly has had a mare ?

Again.

Testimonial Due
    Strange actions when he should be looking to unite the support as much as possible.

No surprise though based on his clueless comments to the press in relation to fans share ownership.

Do any of his sidekicks have a bit of savvy about them or are they all spineless?

A comprise might be to let the blazer boys carry on running their social club and appoint a new guard to get on with the important business of representing the SUPPORTERS as I have seen little evidence of the HSA having done anything of note.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    One of the problems with the Hibs support - too many individuals with a delusion of self importance.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbymick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Reilly

Sorry, I just cant take this guy serious at all.
    Guys a dick, i'd rather wire my nuts to the national grid than have that man represent me on anything regarding Hibs.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I've never met Mike Reilly but every time I hear of anything he's said or done I think he's a clown who shouldn't be given the platform he has.

United we stand here....

First Team Regular
    Chance to get him out at agm

Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    Just read this on the bounce, seems like the hibs club (well more like mike Riley) are wanting to ban the St pats branch from the club. This is not the time to start spats

A serious situation has arisen over the past period, as eluded to at our last Branch meeting. To recap for those not present, Chairperson Dougie McLeod prior to the end of business and the entrance of our two Turnbull's Tornadoes speakers that night, John Brownlie and John Blackley, informed the 50 members present of a meeting which had taken place along with Branch Secretary Gordon McKinley and the 5 Trustees of the Hibernian Supporters Association/Club a few weeks previously. The meeting was suggested by our Branch Committee in order to explain in a friendly manner the reasoning behind our proposed changes to further modernise and HSA rulebook (see attachment). This was intended to help prevent any misunderstanding at the Hibernian Supporters Association AGM, on Sunday the 5th of April.
    Mike Riley hasn't exactly covered himself in glory over the past few years, but before I form a judgement on this I would like to know what these proposed changes are to "further modernise and HSA rulebook" This obviously seems to be what has triggered this spat, at least from his point of view and as you say its unusual ( if not unheard of ) for an HSA committee member, even Mike Riley, to be talking about expelling a branch. What are the proposals ?

Edit ... It says "see attachment" but there's no link here or on the bounce?
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 29-03-2015 at 11:05 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archiebald View Post
    Chance to get him out at agm

Vote of no confidence. Stand together people.

It's been a while since we had a cardigan and blazer spat and folk jostling to be the 'voice' of the Hibs support. Well, 2 months at least.

Anyone got any popcorn?

Without knowing what proposed changes to the rules book where put forward it's hard to make any judgement. Regardless MR should be acting more professionally (assuming things transpired exactly as described above).

All reads a bit like petty politics to me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough marti1875's Avatar
    Yes it is impossible to judge here really as it is all one sided this post so??.....for all i think Mike Riley as an absolute plum in the first degree and certainly should be ousted i will wait to see and hear BOTH sides before judging as sometimes it's not good to only listen to one side of an argument.

Lets wait and see what transpires, but it seems all petty and childish to be honest looking on the face of it...

Could we please refrain from throwing personal insults at the people involved in this whoever they may be.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Vote of no confidence. Stand together people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Without knowing what proposed changes to the rules book where put forward it's hard to make any judgement. Regardless MR should be acting more professionally (assuming things transpired exactly as described above).

All reads a bit like petty politics to me.
    I think an out of town hibs fan and member had the temerity to want to attend one of the association meetings when he was back in Edinburgh. He was initially and embarrassingly refused entry by the chairman as he was an out of town member.

I believe the st Patrick's motion seeks to give all hibs fans equal access to the fans association. Other branches probably have out of town members too.

We need all the hibs fans working together and feeling like they are no less important or can contribute less than someone who is in a social club a lot. Last time I looked it was an association of hibs supporters. Not some hibs supporters.

As you say there may well be more to this but irrespective it's been a while since the association was led like an association for all rather than a gentleman's club. If the op is right this behaviour compounds that.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I think an out of town hibs fan and member had the temerity to want to attend one of the association meetings when he was back in Edinburgh. He was initially and embarrassingly refused entry by the chairman as he was an out of town member.

I believe the st Patrick's motion seeks to give all hibs fans equal access to the fans association. Other branches probably have out of town members too.

We need all the hibs fans working together and feeling like they are no less important or can contribute less than someone who is in a social club a lot. Last time I looked it was an association of hibs supporters. Not some hibs supporters.

As you say there may well be more to this but irrespective it's been a while since the association was led like an association for all rather than a gentleman's club. If the op is right this behaviour compounds that.
    Hopefully this can be amicably resolved behind closed doors then. With the business end of the season fast approaching it would be kind of nice if we could all stand together. It will provide entertainment for those of us who are bored at work though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Hopefully this can be amicably resolved behind closed doors then. With the business end of the season fast approaching it would be kind of nice if we could all stand together. It will provide entertainment for those of us who are bored at work though.
    Indeed, being self employed I need to stay away from this sort of thing first thing on a Monday

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    That St Pats branch are always causing grief eh .

No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

First Team Breakthrough invisible man's Avatar

The current rules state that 'an Association member paying out of town subscriptions shall be admitted on match days as temporary members at the discretion of the club committee' The thinking behind this rule at the time was that out of town members weren't going to use the club as often as full members simply because of the geography of where they lived so they were charged a reduced subscription in return for being a temporary member. There's nothing to stop anyone who lives 'out of town' paying the full subscription and becoming a full member, and I'm sure if this was explained to them when they joined some of them would.

The St Pat's resolution is not about 'oot' members having access to the club, it's about giving 'oot' members full voting rights at an AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible man View Post
    The current rules state that 'an Association member paying out of town subscriptions shall be admitted on match days as temporary members at the discretion of the club committee' The thinking behind this rule at the time was that out of town members weren't going to use the club as often as full members simply because of the geography of where they lived so they were charged a reduced subscription in return for being a temporary member. There's nothing to stop anyone who lives 'out of town' paying the full subscription and becoming a full member, and I'm sure if this was explained to them when they joined some of them would.

The St Pat's resolution is not about 'oot' members having access to the club, it's about giving 'oot' members full voting rights at an AGM.
    Thanks. Sounds even better if the aim is to treat every member the same.

Sir Matt Busby

If that's true I'm with St Pat's on this one. I have been an out of town member a couple of times and it did feel like I was a 2nd class Hibby in the eyes of the HSA. Why are out of town members treated differently anyway?

Having said that I would still like someone from St Pat's to confirm what their proposals are.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If that's true I'm with St Pat's on this one. I have been an out of town member a couple of times and it did feel like I was a 2nd class Hibby in the eyes of the HSA. Why are out of town members treated differently anyway?
    See my quote above.

It should be explained to an 'oot' applicant that paying the 'oot' subscription results in reduced rights but they can become a full member if that's what they want.

First Team Breakthrough tigerted's Avatar

Support for St. Patrick's from the Netherlands

Dear mister Riley,

This email is meant to give you the opportunity to correct the impression your behaviour has made on me so far. I do hope you will take the chance to make things right for every Hibernian supporter.

As I was made painfully aware of at the last attended branche meeting of St. Pat's, the HSA doesnot give the impression to represent the whole of branches supporting our football club.
    To organise a meeting at the same time as my branche's without inviting St. Pat's to discuss the ideas put forward is outrageous.

It seems hard that you will need an out of town member to remind you of our history. From the very start we have been a social club. Raised by the Irish, open to anyone. Open to other points of view, always striving to do best for the collective.

In this light, the unwillingness to discuss matters brought forward by one of the branches with the sole aim of improvement, is unacceptable. Even worse, the idea of excluding members, just for the reason they are not living in the country Hibernian FC is based at, is in simple contrast with the very meaning of our club.

I will not go into detail about the abusive language used by you to express your personal feelings towards our St. Pat's chairperson. As any civilised person would do, not even considering your position as a representative for all of us, I expect you to humbly apologise for your inappropriate behaviour. And with that we shall move forward.

As forward should be the aim for all of us. Not withstanding a difference of opinions, not withstanding personal resentments. We should, as branches united, aim for the best way of developing our interests and our Hibernian FC.

I expect you to guide this process in a democratic and rightful way. Taking in concern not only the majority, but with an eye open to a minority as well. As our club is meant to be.

Therefore I expect you, as well as the whole of HSA and the Hibernian Association Trustees, to welcome the St. Pat's branche and our ideas as an opportunity to make Hibernian FC and the HSA even better then we are today.

As always, openness is the key to our club. I therefore invite you to answer this email.

I don't expect you to agree on every point made. This is not my goal. My goal is to be a member of a club, an association and a branche open to the world. Taking into account different opinions. And from there on collectively aiming forward. This I do expect of you.

Kind regards and awaiting your response,

Just Krijn
    Uilenburgstraatje 6
    5211 ED 's-Hertogenbosch
    The Netherlands

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    See my quote above.

It should be explained to an 'oot' applicant that paying the 'oot' subscription results in reduced rights but they can become a full member if that's what they want.
    Colin...55yrs old? what about your schooldays?

Quote Originally Posted by H18S NX View Post
    Colin...55yrs old? what about your schooldays?
    Shhhhhhhhh, I conveniently left them out!

See my quote above.

Cheers I had no idea that was the case. Anyway, the last thing we need is for in fighting at the HSA just as things seem to be settling down elsewhere. I'm not a member of the HSA or a branch, but its not good to hear about this stuff, we are after all supposed to be united by a common bond.

In my personal opinion ( and its just a theory ) could it be there is some jealousy at work here. There is no doubt that St Patricks branch have done some impressive work with regard to the historical aspects of Hibs and it has to be said that the work they did to identify the last resting place of Dan McMichael and to raise funds for a headstone was utterly admirable. That and the plaque in St Patrick's church are a credit to the branch. In some quarters it could be argued that if they were able to do this, why were Hibernian F.C. and the HSA not on the case way before St Pat's came along. I dare say some folk were left staring at their own feet during both ceremonies.

On the other hand of course I ( and I dare say some others ) have had cause to raise the odd eyebrow when it comes to St Pat's. But I don't think that's a factor in this case.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    This thread could get messy.

First Team Breakthrough tigerted's Avatar

It's Not About "Out of Town" Members!

Mr. Riley and others in the HSA, have for whatever reason, taken a dislike to the St. Patrick's Branch in general.

Over the past year or so, we have been accused of:

- wanting to take over the Hibs Club
    - bullying other Branches
    - stealing members
    - not using the Hibs Club etc, etc

although you will always find St. Patrick's Branch members in the Club before and after all home games!

There seems to be no distinction in their eyes between the Supporters' Association and the actual Hibs Club (which is clearly all that they are interested in!).

The Branch has been trying since it's formation over the past 4 years, to bring the "Association" into the 21st Century. We have only asked that the "Rule Book" be updated to reflect the needs and aspirations of all Hibs Supporters and to build the Association, so that it has a strong voice to represent the Fans with Hibernian F.C. We should be encouraging all fans to join the Association (hopefully by joining a Branch), but if not, just joining so that all views are represented. By default therefore, the Hibs Club would benefit from this increased membership.

The Association should be making use of the technology available today, to keep in contact with members by text, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter etc. The most common complaint from fans, is that they never have any contact from the Association or Branch, unless it's on the Noticeboard within the Club itself. Even though the AGM is being held this Sunday, there is no requirement to notify members of this event.....................one of the rules we would want to change in due course.

So, if you think that the St. Patrick's Branch and it's Members should continue to pursue and promote causes such as: The Dan McMichael Headstone, St. Patrick's Church Plaque, Leith Links et al, then please attend the AGM and give us your support.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    One of the problems with the Hibs support - too many individuals with a delusion of self importance.
    That is so true.