hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Meekings offered 1 match ban - appeal won

..for handball against Celtic. This would rule him out of the final. He has rejected it. I think this is absolutely crazy! Has it ever been done before for handball???

Well done Celtic, you could've just cost a player a cup final appearance

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ..for handball against Celtic. This would rule him out of the final. He has rejected it. I think this is absolutely crazy! Has it ever been done before for handball???

Well if it had happened to us against Falkirk I would have wanted the player to do a hefty sentence in Saughton (nae make that Peterhead - further away so harder for his family to visit him).

The guy basically cheated so I think the one match ban is fair enough.

It was a red card offence, so don't see the problem with this being dealt with by the Compliance Officer.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Well if it had happened to us against Falkirk I would have wanted the player to do a hefty sentence in Saughton (nae make that Peterhead - further away so harder for his family to visit him).

The guy basically cheated so I think the one match ban is fair enough.
    It sets one hell of a precedent. Would it have been done if any other club had complained?

I think they would have twigged anyway. It was kind of obvious.

Edit: if you're taking about setting a precedent I'm not actually sure.

The compliance officer should really only be getting involved with nasty fouls or incidents of a violent nature and also diving.

I have never heard of a player being given a retrospective ban for a handball offence. Has that ever happened before?

Coaching Staff
    Devils advocate in me says good - not because Celtic are being utterly petulant, but because I think their actions (Celtic) will backfire and video technology will now be demanded by referees and football authorities - for far too long football has been in the dark ages and video technology needs to be brought in for decisions like this.

The Leigh Griffiths free kick ? The Suso 'penalty' ? The GMS 'penalty' at Tannadice ?......dare I go back to 1979 v Rangers in the final.....

It's sad it takes a 'toys oot the pram' approach but it could galvanise everyone else to demand fairness for everyone - and protect referees who after this undoubtedly will feel under extra pressure and scrutiny.

Gamer IDs

Suppose Hibs better get their pens and papers ready for possible play off games against Rangers

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    It's ridiculous, as Yogi said we can all go get old videos now and say well what about this decision etc!

The ref missed it, it happens. Accept it!

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    The compliance officer should really only be getting involved with nasty fouls or incidents of a violent nature and also diving.

I have never heard of a player being given a retrospective ban for a handball offence. Has that ever happened before?
    The only men that should have a games ban is the officials from Sunday as the 6 officials all missed it.

If you had offered him that at the time he would have chewed his arm off to get a retrospective ban and no penalty. But I'm sure the rule was introduced more to deal with sly punches, signs to the crowd, head-butts and awful tackles missed by the ref at the time, not this sort of thing. It really is a bit much IMO.

It sets one hell of a precedent. Would it have been done if any other club had complained?
    Aye. The Rangers.

If it had been seen at the time it would have been a red card,ICT down to 10 men and a penalty. I think they got off lightly. They'll just be happy they're in the final and will still fancy their chances of beating Falkirk.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    This is just getting ridiculous, is every decision the ref misses from now on a decision that's going to be looked at?

So if we'd managed to get to the final, ICT would have their two CBs out, it gets even more depressing

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i honestly think the only fair solution to all of this is just to play both SF's again , remember our ref on saturday tried to kid on he was playing for Falkirk a few times by taking the ball of our players, it's only fair

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    So if we'd managed to get to the final, ICT would have their two CBs out, it gets even more depressing
    You know what, it takes a special kind of negativity to think like that.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Why do I get the feeling that this type of decision, if it was against Rantic, would be postponed until a convenient time in the future?
    Last edited by snooky; 21-04-2015 at 08:24 PM.

It's fair, if he hadn't done this his team would have been 2-0 down, and probably would not have made the final. I was fuming enough at the weekend but if a decision like that put us out I'd have been speechless.
    Last edited by HibsNutter; 21-04-2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: silly

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Well done Celtic, games gone mad

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Well done Celtic, games gone mad
    The ref did see it though he had a clear view. Don't really get this decision.

Madness ...........guy should take the SFA all the way if he isn't playing in the final.

Its not that long ago that Hibs lost a match at Tannadice after the ref gave a penalty for a foul clearly outside the box, where is a clubs recompense for that sort of thing? it was partly responsible for us missing out on the top 6 that year.

When Griffiths free kick against Hearts went 3 feet over the line at least 2 Hearts defenders clearly saw the ball was over the line, they didn't stop play and go 'hey ref that was a goal'........ What's the difference between that and Meekings hand ball, if he gets a ban for cheating why didn't they for ungentlemanly conduct?

Banning players for this sort of thing is opening a can of worms which should be left firmly closed and to ban a player from a cup final just to appease Celtic ( which is what it is ) is a bloody outrage ............. The SFA can add cowardice to the list of their faults just below incompetence.

Left by mutual consent!

I wish Hibs would've made this much of a fuss when Craig Thomson shafted us in the Hertz cup final with the awarding of that penalty , this in-turn meaning he would never officiate any of our future matches..

The whole semi final thing has turned into a wreck of a mess. They should declare the results void and null and play them again but with real refs this time.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If the officials had seen it he would have got a red card and missed the final anyway.

We are used to violent offences missed by officials being treated retrospectively but don't see anything wrong with extending this to other issues of cheating that would incur bans. Handballs stopping goal scoring oppurtunites and diving to win penalties the obvious ones.

It is always harsh when someone misses a final but he was cheating.

Does bring up an interesting conundrum on how to deal retrospectively with wrongly given penalties like the one Craig Thomson awarded in the 2012 final. Only person who cheated there was the ref.
    Last edited by Spike Mandela; 21-04-2015 at 05:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Exactly.

This is a joke decision, but what do you expect from the SFA, they seem to just make it up as they go along, or only when The Rangers and Celtc are involved.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    It's fair, if he hadn't done this his team would have been 2-0 down, and probably would not have made the final. I was fuming enough at the weekend but if a decision like that put us out I'd have been speechless.
    How would they have been 2-0 down. Griffith's has a habit of missing pens in semis

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    It's ridiculous, as Yogi said we can all go get old videos now and say well what about this decision etc!

The ref missed it, it happens. Accept it!

The authorities in the Scottish game are a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    If the officials had seen it he would have got a red card and missed the final anyway.

We are used to violent offences missed by officials being treated retrospectively but don't see anything wrong with extending this to other issues of cheating that would incur bans. Handballs stopping goal scoring oppurtunites and diving to win penalties the obvious ones.

It is always harsh when someone misses a final but he was cheating.
    It was hardly cheating. He spread his body to block the shot and the ball hit his hand, he didn't try to get away with a sneaky punch pretending it was his head like Maradona or anything like that. The ref chose not to give it despite having another 2 officials on the line and one behind each goal. Yes it should have been a pen and he should have been sent off for the technicality of "deliberate" hand ball but it was hardly cheating.