hibs.net Messageboard

Page 28 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Celtic paid £1.5 million for ciftci. Let that sink in

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    How about £2m plus they agree to cancel Allan's contract allowing us to negotiate a contract with him and they agree to lend us back SJM for the season? We keep McGinn for the time left on his contract (minus the 4 games against Celtic). Allan is now our player as opposed to being a loan player who can't play in those 4 games. We have £1.34m to invest in the team, which would perhaps include a reasonable fee for MacLaren.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about £2m plus they agree to cancel Allan's contract allowing us to negotiate a contract with him and they agree to lend us back SJM for the season? We keep McGinn for the time left on his contract (minus the 4 games against Celtic). Allan is now our player as opposed to being a loan player who can't play in those 4 games. We have £1.34m to invest in the team, which would perhaps include a reasonable fee for MacLaren.
    Lending him back to us is a nonstarter in my opinion. They might be playing it a bit nonchalantly, but they’re gagging to get him and, once he’s there, he’ll begin to feature in Brenda’s plans.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    How about Celtic pay the required £5m. Give us Scott Allan and pay half his wages for the duration of his hibs contract. A sell on fee of 25%. Give us Leigh Griffiths, Scott brown and moussa dembele on loan for the rest of the season and give everyone who attends the first game of the season £1k in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    How about Celtic pay the required £5m. Give us Scott Allan and pay half his wages for the duration of his hibs contract. A sell on fee of 25%. Give us Leigh Griffiths, Scott brown and moussa dembele on loan for the rest of the season and give everyone who attends the first game of the season £1k in cash.

I'm in!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post

....... first bit of common sense I’ve read on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    McGinn has played more often for Scotland than Armstrong

McGinn has won Man of the Match in around half of the fixtures he has played at international level.

Armstrong, though a fine player, is best known in a Scotland jersey for foolishly giving the ball away in the dying seconds vs England at Hampden, leading to 2-2.

McGinn was nominated for Player of the Year in Scotland in the season just ended.

I could go on....
    It’s life mate. Players at bigger clubs go for more money

That’s why we got Mcginn for the fee we did and Celtic will get him for less than £3m too

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    It’s life mate. Players at bigger clubs go for more money

That’s why we got Mcginn for the fee we did and Celtic will get him for less than £3m too
    I agree with that.

There does seem too big a disparity in these figures being banded about though imo. I know we're not ever going to get £7m for him however if you take that figure and work back from there i think coming in at £3/4m is reasonable. £1.5m is pish.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It just sticks I'm my throat thinking £3m is OK when they sold Armstrong for double that.

I will not be happy with £3m even with Allan.
    I’d carry him through on my shoulders for £3m. Will not happen.

McGinn has played more often for Scotland than Armstrong

McGinn has won Man of the Match in around half of the fixtures he has played at international level.

Armstrong, though a fine player, is best known in a Scotland jersey for foolishly giving the ball away in the dying seconds vs England at Hampden, leading to 2-2.

McGinn was nominated for Player of the Year in Scotland in the season just ended.

I could go on....
    An EPL team bid for Armstrong, none have for McGinn.

Coaching Staff
    Looks to me that it will be a pre contract signing in Jan the way things are going.

Thanks for all the feedback

Turns out I am a football fan, a Hibs fan at that, and not an accountant.

I checked, and John McGinn is the only footballer I can see who won the 2 major cups in Scotland with 2 separate non-OF teams

The guy has something special, and he's a fantastic character.

He dominates derbies, he brings a drive to the team, and the way it is going, he will be playing for my team again this season.

If you would rather have a part share of an undercooked fee instead of all that then I can't help you folks.

I'd rather see John McGinn play for Hibs this season, unless the money is sensational.

And so far, it is very far from sensational.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Looks to me that it will be a pre contract signing in Jan the way things are going.
    John has repeatedly said that any move he makes has to be beneficial to not only himself but to Hibs and St Mirren as well and I think he will honour that. For that reason I don't see the above happening Lago.
    The English transfer window closes on 9th August and ours on 31st August and although as supporters we want to see all deals done quickly there is still bucket loads of time left

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I’d carry him through on my shoulders for £3m. Will not happen.

You did say we'd be lucky to get £1m for him, well the latest bid in nearer £2m, maybe you'd better start on some press ups to build your strength up?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It just sticks I'm my throat thinking £3m is OK when they sold Armstrong for double that.

I will not be happy with £3m even with Allan.
    Perhaps a better comparison is the fee Dundee United got when Armstrong moved from them to Celtc.

£2m for him and GMS.

@hibs.net private member
    John has repeatedly said that any move he makes has to be beneficial to not only himself but to Hibs and St Mirren as well and I think he will honour that. For that reason I don't see the above happening Lago.
    The English transfer window closes on 9th August and ours on 31st August and although as supporters we want to see all deals done quickly there is still bucket loads of time left

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    I know he has said that but my feeling is the way to do it was with a years extension & buy out clause inserted. He is a professional footballer & if I read Lennon's comments correctly it is beginning to affect the boy.

Thanks for all the feedback

Turns out I am a football fan, a Hibs fan at that, and not an accountant.

I checked, and John McGinn is the only footballer I can see who won the 2 major cups in Scotland with 2 separate non-OF teams

The guy has something special, and he's a fantastic character.

He dominates derbies, he brings a drive to the team, and the way it is going, he will be playing for my team again this season.

If you would rather have a part share of an undercooked fee instead of all that then I can't help you folks.

I'd rather see John McGinn play for Hibs this season, unless the money is sensational.

And so far, it is very far from sensational.
    Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I know he has said that but my feeling is the way to do it was with a years extension & buy out clause inserted. He is a professional footballer & if I read Lennon's comments correctly it is beginning to affect the boy.
    I think Lennon said yesterday that "until its resolved we will manage him best we can but I have seen no ill effects in his play" He also said that he has a bit of a dead leg but will be fit for tonight.

Seen that Celtic have been granted £1 million from FIFA for Rogic, Lustig, Boyata and Gamboa playing in the world cup

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    The English transfer window closes in 28 days or so loads of clubs still have business to do I wouldn't rule out a bid coming in from one of the clubs reported to be interested especially with hibs knocking celtic back twice . Pay 3 or so now or pay 8 from celtic in a couple of years

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    I think Lennon said yesterday that "until its resolved we will manage him best we can but I have seen no ill effects in his play" He also said that he has a bit of a dead leg but will be fit for tonight.
    Lets hope it all gets sorted out sooner rather than later, he seems to be a level headed young man who knows where he wants his career to take him I'll miss him but wish him well.

@hibs.net private member
    Lets hope it all gets sorted out sooner rather than later, he seems to be a level headed young man who knows where he wants his career to take him I'll miss him but wish him well.
    I agree 100%

Just oiling my vocal chords at the moment in case there is a chorus of 'We've got McGinn, super John McGinn' tonight.

Nothing like being ready!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by w pilton hibby View Post
    Perhaps a better comparison is the fee Dundee United got when Armstrong moved from them to Celtc.

£2m for him and GMS.
    Do you think Armstrong was as good then as McGinn
    Is now ? Not sure he was. It really should be about ability and potential
    and not dictated by who you play for - for that reason I think
    Armstrong to Southampton is a decent comparison- would even say
    McGinn is better and had unique qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Why would Celtic want to do that?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    It really should be about ability and potential
    and not dictated by who you play for -
    How would that work then??!

Use stats from Football Manager or similar to determine their ability?

How do you measure someone’s potential?

If we can’t agree on a fee how the hell are clubs going to agree on a players ability??

”He’s braw, we want £2m?”

‘Naw he’s no, here’s £500k”!!

It really doesmt matter what what we think he’s worth or what any other players have been bought or sold for. Celtic either match our valuation or he stays put.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Pretty reasonable comments from BR.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    Do you think Armstrong was as good then as McGinn
    Is now ? Not sure he was. It really should be about ability and potential
    and not dictated by who you play for - for that reason I think
    Armstrong to Southampton is a decent comparison- would even say
    McGinn is better and had unique qualities.
    It's not really about comparing the players talents, as much as it should be, but more comparing the money available to the clubs.

7 million to Southampton is probably the equivalent of 1 or 2 million to Celtic. Celtic don't have another 7 million to spend on a player after spending 8 or so on the guy from PSG. They're loaded compared to other Scottish clubs but compared to teams down south they're paupers.