hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet the Croatia manager has never told the players and the press that as they are a small country that they are essentially sheight, can’t compete and should “play to our strengths” which always means defend, defend, defend, even when defence is our biggest weakness, which is what every Scotland manager in my lifetime has come out with a variation of.
    We have nowhere near the quality of side that Croatia do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I bet the Croatia manager has never told the players and the press that as they are a small country that they are essentially sheight, can’t compete and should “play to our strengths” which always means defend, defend, defend, even when defence is our biggest weakness, which is what every Scotland manager in my lifetime has come out with a variation of.
    Probably should jack it in as an independent country and get one of the big boys to run the show, worked wonders for us

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post

It’s phenomenal how many good players a country of that size has produced!

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    It’s phenomenal how many good players a country of that size has produced!
    Dinamo where Modric and kovacic came from have a superb academy

Not since Souness and Kenny D have Scotland had anywhere near the quality Coratia have. When we did have that talent Ally MacLeod told not only the Scottish players but the world we would win the cup in 1978.

I didn't really enjoy Keane at the end.

We give the English pundits pelters for getting carried away and for taking themselves too seriously.

They've had a good time, they've enjoyed the tournament and Wright was acknowledging the fact in a light-hearted way.

In the past they've driven me nuts and I'd have enjoyed their pain, but I didn't think they needed it or deserved it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Not appointing McLeish as manager!!
    And appointing Bilic!

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    My money's on Wrighty. He's a London boy.

Keane's a disgrace by the way. Dirty so-and-so.
    Keane is a very good boxer. He would wipe the floor with Wright

Lee Dixon would have done Keane.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post

I know. But what chance do we ever have when our players are constantly told they aren’t up to much and can’t compete? A bit of positivity would do wonders. We have a small country mindset and it’s part of the problem with the national team. It creates a risk averse culture. The last Scotland manager was too scared to give younger, more forward thinking players a chance until it was almost too late and stuck with tried and tested ‘stuffy’ players to ‘compete’. When he eventually took the risk with younger players, we came back within touching distance of making the play-offs, he shat it again with this small nation mindset and went back to the ‘stuffy’, sit in, ‘play to our strengths’ type players.

There does need to be some realism but it needs to be balanced with a bit of positivity.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Not since Souness and Kenny D have Scotland had anywhere near the quality Coratia have. When we did have that talent Ally MacLeod told not only the Scottish players but the world we would win the cup in 1978.
    Again, I know that but the younger age group cohorts in the national set up seem to compete better with bigger nations than the senior squad. A big part of that will be down to talent and coaching structures. Some of it, I reckon is down to the negativity of the Scotland squad management.

I know. But what chance do we ever have when our players are constantly told they aren’t up to much and can’t compete? A bit of positivity would do wonders. We have a small country mindset and it’s part of the problem with the national team. It creates a risk averse culture. The last Scotland manager was too scared to give younger, more forward thinking players a chance until it was almost too late and stuck with tried and tested ‘stuffy’ players to ‘compete’. When he eventually took the risk with younger players, we came back within touching distance of making the play-offs, he shat it again with this small nation mindset and went back to the ‘stuffy’, sit in, ‘play to our strengths’ type players.

There does need to be some realism but it needs to be balanced with a bit of positivity.
    It's easy to compare ourselves to Croatia as we're a similar sized nation but I saw more in England that I'd like to see Scotland copy.

Talented, articulate, home-grown manager who has worked with many of the players at a younger age group.

Entrusting young players, making them the core of the squad.

Consistency of team selection.

Fostering a club-like atmosphere.

Engaging with the media.

Having the balls to ditch duds who were there on reputation rather than performance (Joe Hart).

I read on another thread that they play a lot of Futsal in Croatia. The main thing we need to change in Scotland is to get youngsters playing as much as possible. Until we do that we're stuffed, and we'll always have a restricted pool to choose from.

That said, I don't think we're all that bad, and have some decent young players to give us some hope.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's easy to compare ourselves to Croatia as we're a similar sized nation but I saw more in England that I'd like to see Scotland copy.

Talented, articulate, home-grown manager who has worked with many of the players at a younger age group.

Entrusting young players, making them the core of the squad.

Consistency of team selection.

Fostering a club-like atmosphere.

Engaging with the media.

Having the balls to ditch duds who were there on reputation rather than performance (Joe Hart).

I read on another thread that they play a lot of Futsal in Croatia. The main thing we need to change in Scotland is to get youngsters playing as much as possible. Until we do that we're stuffed, and we'll always have a restricted pool to choose from.

That said, I don't think we're all that bad, and have some decent young players to give us some hope.
    For a bigger country it’s easier for a Southgate type manager to just say to the young players ‘go out and express yourself....’ more often than not they’re up against far inferior players so even with the worst manager in the world the players could pull them through.

This tournament England have managed to beat in 90 minutes Panama, Tunisia and Sweden.

With the billions of pounds floating about their game I’m for from convinced there’s is the blueprint we should be following.

Totally agree. Let’s hope we have a go at trying to qualify rather than hoping to.
    We have nothing to lose, as we never qualify, so a positive approach and a desire to win rather than not lose has to worth a go. Starting with and end to all the negative pish about not being tall enough, small nation etc.. followed by picking Scottish players not guys who’s granny was born in Scotland!!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Not Keane's biggest fan but really can't stand Ian Wright and delighted that someone is there to let England know their "its coming home" patter is unfounded, arrogant nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Keane would molicate Wright.
    Molicate Wright. I think I knew her at school.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    For a bigger country it’s easier for a Southgate type manager to just say to the young players ‘go out and express yourself....’ more often than not they’re up against far inferior players so even with the worst manager in the world the players could pull them through.

This tournament England have managed to beat in 90 minutes Panama, Tunisia and Sweden.

With the billions of pounds floating about their game I’m for from convinced there’s is the blueprint we should be following.
    Perhaps looking at Iceland and the tremendous success they have had for a population less than half the size of our city, in a climate colder too!

Exactly, and still some were wanting him to stay!!

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Molicate Wright. I think I knew her at school.
    Hahaha

Here's the discussion:

https://youtu.be/QzMA9oURY-M

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Here's the discussion:

https://youtu.be/QzMA9oURY-M
    Thanks for sharing I missed that from watching in the pub

Keane should have knocked him out! Wright was being a dick taking the Micky out of his accent when Keane was making a good point, or at least a point Wright didn’t agree with

Can you imagine the outcry if Keane started doing his own impressions...

This was racist

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    After Murray won Wimbledon, everyone should have checked what Scotland was doing to create such a tennis star, wouldnt have given them a huge insight into his success though...his upbringing maybe, not a huge amount of grassroots tennis when he was growing up, more now due to Judy.

There will be things we can take from Croatia but smaller nations that are direct neighbours to larger nations have extra strains and struggles, that is a fact. For example, we have Scottish youth disappear into the English game and fail because it is too early for them. Careers virtually over. Scouting in Scotland is cheap for English clubs. E.g. Billy Gilmour, he’ll either make it or stall and come back up to Scotland with 2 senior games under his belt at 21 or he’ll vanish.

Same problem shows up between the Glasgow clubs and the Edinburgh clubs, we’ve got Edinburgh boys signing for Celtic, never playing for them and being released at 22 to then drop down a division or just disappear.

Are people thinking it’s a copy/paste job to fix Scotland’s woes? With correct guidance these missing gems could have become Scotland legends instead they become free agents and nomads. Gauld was the Scottish Messi and left too soon, career stalled massively. A year younger than McGinn and probably played 100 less games.
    Study what other small countries are doing. Scottish tennis looked at Belgium who had two women no 1s and men in top 20. Be dedicated with no booze, birds etc. Continue to improve and learn from setbacks. Work on technique, fitness, tactics and mental side. And don't listen to the English.

When we have players of the quality of Modric, Perisic, Rakitic and Mandzukic then we might have a chance.

The only player who is even remotely near that level is Andy Robertson. We are light years behind Croatia.

Good on Roy Keane. As always, the English media got way ahead of themselves.

I wasn't too unhappy when England beat Columbia because I thought their antics were a disgrace but by the time I got to the semi final I was totally pissed off with the hysteria. The BBC had essentially become the EBC last night with its pre-match news coverage and I was delighted that the English media and pundits like Wright were put back in their box.

That's not taking anything away from Southgate who seems like a really decent guy and manager, or his team who definitely punched above their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Good on Roy Keane. As always, the English media got way ahead of themselves.

I wasn't too unhappy when England beat Columbia because I thought their antics were a disgrace but by the time I got to the semi final I was totally pissed off with the hysteria. The BBC had essentially become the EBC last night with its pre-match news coverage and I was delighted that the English media and pundits like Wright were put back in their box.

That's not taking anything away from Southgate who seems like a really decent guy and manager, or his team who definitely punched above their weight.
    It´s always been the EBC, who´s side did they take during the Yes/No vote, biased yes, english yes.

Oh and thankfully they have been papped oot, ah kin noo enjoy the final.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I didn't really enjoy Keane at the end.

We give the English pundits pelters for getting carried away and for taking themselves too seriously.

They've had a good time, they've enjoyed the tournament and Wright was acknowledging the fact in a light-hearted way.

In the past they've driven me nuts and I'd have enjoyed their pain, but I didn't think they needed it or deserved it tonight.
    Roy Keane is nothing but an absolute dick. Wouldn’t dream of actually giving anyone or anything any praise and would much rather come across as being ‘too hard’ to enjoy anything. Why they still put him on the tv is beyond me.

As Ian Wright said, they got to the semi final, fans and pundits enjoyed the journey and yes, they maybe talked about the final a bit. But the players and manager didn’t, they remained professional and didn’t quite have enough to get there. That wouldn’t have changed had the fans and pundits taken the “one game at a time” approach.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 12-07-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    It´s always been the EBC, who´s side did they take during the Yes/No vote, biased yes, english yes.

Oh and thankfully they have been papped oot, ah kin noo enjoy the final.
    Oh dear

Left by mutual consent!
    Please, for the love of humanity, we're not going to have to hear for 2-4 years that Southgate has somehow reinvented football by taking England to a round that any one of us on here could've done also?

It's laughable and pathetic at the same time watching people north of the border buy into this idea that Southgate and England are the new galacticos of world football and world domination is only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Please, for the love of humanity, we're not going to have to hear for 2-4 years that Southgate has somehow reinvented football by taking England to a round that any one of us on here could've done also?

It's laughable and pathetic at the same time watching people north of the border buy into this idea that Southgate and England are the new galacticos of world football and world domination is only a matter of time.
    You live in the Netherlands do you not? Sure it's easy enough to ignore stuff 'north of the border' there if you had the desire to.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I thought Lee Dixon looked strangely quiet in fact looked gutted!!