hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribalism

Left by mutual consent!

Tribalism

"the behaviour and attitudes that stem from strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group." there we go.

It's F all to do with sectarianism/racism/homophobia per se', on a personal level, it's all about being recognised as part of a clan.

I am a Jehovah's Witness btw

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'll remember that the next time a Rangers fan calls me or my family Fenian *******s. Just a bit of harmless tribalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibsman07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "the behaviour and attitudes that stem from strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group." there we go.

It's F all to do with sectarianism/racism/homophobia per se', on a personal level, it's all about being recognised as part of a clan.

What? Tribalism and sectarianism are not mutually exclusive...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'll remember that the next time a Rangers fan calls me or my family Fenian *******s. Just a bit of harmless tribalism.
    And this happened when ? Did i say it was harmless?? I proffered an opinion as to why individuals act as they do when part of a crowd. A need for acceptance was/is my standpoint.

Interpret it any way you want, but personally i have never encountered open hostility on a one to one basis with any follower of any club. They hunt with the hounds. Get my drift now ?

[SIZE=4]

They don't swear
    Last edited by Keith_M; 14-03-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    What? Tribalism and sectarianism are not mutually exclusive...
    Did i say that they were? NO !! They can , and do, occur in "mutually exclusive" instances. In my humble opinion individuals feed of others and act accordingly.
    Thus they sing "Billy Boys" or "Fields of Athenry" with no thought to the meaning or origins of their groups chosen anthems, rather than be questioned as to their loyalty by not "joining in "

Tribal need not be sectarian btw, although it often develops from that root

By that i meant sectarianism comes out of tribalism and not vice versa
    Last edited by Hibsman07; 14-03-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    They don't swear
    I'm the exception, got "disfellowshipped for telling an Elder to F** O**. ..Plus i smoked and had an eye for the sisters in attendance

And this happened when ? Did i say it was harmless?? I proffered an opinion as to why individuals act as they do when part of a crowd. A need for acceptance was/is my standpoint.

Interpret it any way you want, but personally i have never encountered open hostility on a one to one basis with any follower of any club. They hunt with the hounds. Get my drift now ?
    A need for acceptance of what?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    A need for acceptance of what?
    Jeez !!!! Are you in with the in crowd? Maybe you are Hermit Crab in disguise

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Are you really a Jehovah's Witness? Don't think I've ever met one. I mind they used to come around occasionally, knocking on doors when we were kids, spreading the Word. My mam would just open the door and say "we're Catholic" and they'd bolt
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Are you really a Jehovah's Witness? Don't think I've ever met one. I mind they used to come around occasionally, knocking on doors when we were kids, spreading the Word. My mam would just open the door and say "we're Catholic" and they'd bolt
    My old man used to tell them we were satanists.

Quote Originally Posted by Besties Debut View Post
    My old man used to tell them we were satanists.
    He'd say you were Hearts fans? Nae need

Left by mutual consent!
    Indeed i attained to be of the "Truth" but they found me to be too "of the World" and rejected me. My forthright views and love of "manly pursuits" did not sit comfortably with them. i was not deemed

Indeed i attained to be of the "Truth" but they found me to be too "of the World" and rejected me. My forthright views and love of "manly pursuits" did not sit comfortably with them. i was not deemed
    Did you have a very strictly religious upbringing?

@hibs.net private member
    Reminds me of my dad. We used to have Jehovah's witnesses coming to our door back in the day. My dad used to take their Watchtower magazine until he actually read it one time and found some anti Catholic articles. That was the end of their visits.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Hibs.net is becoming stranger with every passing day.

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Religion in all it's forms is just bull****, don't care who that offends but arguing over who's imaginary friend is better, really?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Hibs.net is becoming stranger with every passing day.

Beats banging the drum about NL and attendances though

Left by mutual consent!
    Did you have a very strictly religious upbringing?
    Got kicked out of the Band of Hope, does that count ?

I've just been reading an article by a native American, objecting to the use of the word tribalism in a strictly negative sense. He was pointing out that tribalism is actually consistent with attributes like sharing, family, conscientiousness, promotion of the group at the expense of the individual, et al.

The native groups don't like it when 'tribalism' is used in a pejorative sense, especially in relation to partisan politics.

Just chucking that one out there

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Religion in all it's forms is just bull****, don't care who that offends but arguing over who's imaginary friend is better, really?
    I'm very much of this opinion, but each tae their ain. We all need something to help us along.

I agree with the OP to an extent.

Sectarianism in a Scottish football context isn't generally motivated by theology or religious doctrine. It's motivated by a desire to be different from the 'other lot'. On a wider level I'd argue many who line the streets for Orange Order marches or whatever have a similar mindset. There's a reason thousands pack town and city centres for these but Kirks lie half empty every week.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I've just been reading an article by a native American, objecting to the use of the word tribalism in a strictly negative sense. He was pointing out that tribalism is actually consistent with attributes like sharing, family, conscientiousness, promotion of the group at the expense of the individual, et al.

The native groups don't like it when 'tribalism' is used in a pejorative sense, especially in relation to partisan politics.

Just chucking that one out there
    Which all fits the model Hibernian FC.

"promotion of the group" herein lies the problem. The group attain to be the best/strongest, hence the "we are the people" mentality which then emanates itself by disparaging other (often weaker) groups who they feel threatened by. So they target the other groups cultures and beliefs, and in doing so perpetuate a system whereby they believe themselves to be supreme and we are all lesser mortals..... New Rangers e.g.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Religion is for Sunday's and football is for Saturday's. Sooner we get back to those basics the better.

In my experience you'll be pushed to see an argument between two folk of differing religions that gets anywhere as impassioned as between a religious person and an atheist and the atheist is usually the one losing the plot ….. I can understand folk getting steamed up about stuff they believe in, but I can never understand folk being so vociferous in their argument against something they say doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I agree with the OP to an extent.

Sectarianism in a Scottish football context isn't generally motivated by theology or religious doctrine. It's motivated by a desire to be different from the 'other lot'. On a wider level I'd argue many who line the streets for Orange Order marches or whatever have a similar mindset. There's a reason thousands pack town and city centres for these but Kirks lie half empty every week.
    I've maybe missed something on a related thread, but I'd be surprised if anyone was suggesting otherwise.

It's not a reason not to seek to eradicate the base problem though; if anything, it should be incentive to try harder.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    In my experience you'll be pushed to see an argument between two folk of differing religions that gets anywhere as impassioned as between a religious person and an atheist and the atheist is usually the one losing the plot ….. I can understand folk getting steamed up about stuff they believe in, but I can never understand folk being so vociferous in their argument against something they say doesn't exist
    I haven't heard of atheists planting bombs or cutting people's heads off.

Did i say that they were? NO !! They can , and do, occur in "mutually exclusive" instances. In my humble opinion individuals feed of others and act accordingly.
    Thus they sing "Billy Boys" or "Fields of Athenry" with no thought to the meaning or origins of their groups chosen anthems, rather than be questioned as to their loyalty by not "joining in "

Tribal need not be sectarian btw, although it often develops from that root

By that i meant sectarianism comes out of tribalism and not vice versa
    How is that song the same as the billy boys?

Arguing over religion is like arguing over who'd win a fight between the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    How is that song the same as the billy boys?
    Where did i say it was the same? i merely quoted it as an example of the pi*H collective groups of people buy into without knowing hide nor hair about anything