hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rory McIlroy

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I think it’s fair to say that McIlroy is far more consistent this season than he’s been for a very long time. I’ll be having a pint on him at the Masters.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it’s fair to say that McIlroy is far more consistent this season than he’s been for a very long time. I’ll be having a pint on him at the Masters.
    His first two rounds were very average but more than made up for in the third round. He's got that in his locker but can he consistently produce when it matters I'm not so certain. In saying that he should go on to win it tomorrow.

I stuck a fiver on the European Tour sensation that is Matt Wallace at 100/1 pre tournament who's just a shot behind McIIroy and I'd be much more hopeful if McIIroy wasn't up there. Still had a run for my money whatever happens tomorrow with Wallace playing some exciting golf.

Tommy Fleetwood fans and backers must be very disappointed at the way he's capitulated as he looked certain to be in the mix for tomorrow until having a meltdown.

Its going to be very interesting tomorrow as its a tough course with lots of water hazards around so anyone close to the top who has a good round could find themselves in with a shout but if Rory turns up he should win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoes70 View Post
    His first two rounds were very average but more than made up for in the third round. He's got that in his locker but can he consistently produce when it matters I'm not so certain. In saying that he should go on to win it tomorrow.

I stuck a fiver on the European Tour sensation that is Matt Wallace at 100/1 pre tournament who's just a shot behind McIIroy and I'd be much more hopeful if McIIroy wasn't up there. Still had a run for my money whatever happens tomorrow with Wallace playing some exciting golf.

Tommy Fleetwood fans and backers must be very disappointed at the way he's capitulated as he looked certain to be in the mix for tomorrow until having a meltdown.

Its going to be very interesting tomorrow as its a tough course with lots of water hazards around so anyone close to the top who has a good round could find themselves in with a shout but if Rory turns up he should win it.
    My thinking is he’s played 4 times this year finishing 4th twice, 5th and 2nd. He’s right up there this week again. His short game seems miles better. He will win a few times this season I reckon.

My thinking is he’s played 4 times this year finishing 4th twice, 5th and 2nd. He’s right up there this week again. His short game seems miles better. He will win a few times this season I reckon.
    Tonight he seems to be playing with his handbrake on, but still only two behind.

I think he just needs to get that win and he'll then win a few.

He needs a big back 9 and hasn't been impressive enough so far.

Without necessarily reaching Kuchar territory, his final round often lets him down when he's in contention.

If he doesn't get another birdie within his next couple of holes I could see him getting frustrated and then he's hopeless.

Only 2 shots back though, and we all know what he's capable of.........

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Molinari looking strong. If he birdies the last hole then he must fancy his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Molinari looking strong. If he birdies the last hole then he must fancy his chances.
    What a putt?

What a putt! 64 last round, sheer brilliance. That will take some catching.

The golfs top drawer tonight. Sometimes the pga tour bores me but not tonight.

The golfs top drawer tonight. Sometimes the pga tour bores me but not tonight.
    It must be strange for the American galleries, this is one of the most prestigious events on the Tour yet there's not a USA player in contention.

It must be strange for the American galleries, this is one of the most prestigious events on the Tour yet there's not a USA player in contention.
    True.
    One by one Molinari’s challengers are fading away or failing to step up to the challenge. Great viewing.
    Last edited by greenlex; 10-03-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thankfully I didn't put a pile on Rory today as I was sorely tempted to at this morning's price of 7/4. Price looked too good to be true and it turned out to be exactly that.

He's still entirely inconsistent and the bookies pal just now. He'll win sometime but when who knows.

Well done Molinari, some round to come from off the pace to win it.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Fab. Bring on Sawgrass at The Players next week.👏👏👍

I love the PGA golf on a Sunday night but I have to say I found it a bit dull last night?

After Molinari posted his excellent score none of the contenders ever really got going so I thought it was a bit of a damp squib.

Rory needs to be doing much more when in contention, and it is interesting to see the difference between the "winners" and the rest. Molinari has become very good at hanging in there through the first 3 rounds and putting a solid final round together, and you could imagine that it will be quite intimidating now for players looking over their shoulder seeing him a few shots back. Coupled with his Ryder cup performance he looks outstanding under pressure and must be a decent shout for more majors this year.

Rory looks to be playing better but there are still too many frailties for the short odds he often finds himself at.

Can't wait until next week. Fantastic course, fantastic tournament, and the season really starts to get interesting here. I think the switch to the calendar is a good thing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I love the PGA golf on a Sunday night but I have to say I found it a bit dull last night?

After Molinari posted his excellent score none of the contenders ever really got going so I thought it was a bit of a damp squib.

Rory needs to be doing much more when in contention, and it is interesting to see the difference between the "winners" and the rest. Molinari has become very good at hanging in there through the first 3 rounds and putting a solid final round together, and you could imagine that it will be quite intimidating now for players looking over their shoulder seeing him a few shots back. Coupled with his Ryder cup performance he looks outstanding under pressure and must be a decent shout for more majors this year.

Rory looks to be playing better but there are still too many frailties for the short odds he often finds himself at.

Can't wait until next week. Fantastic course, fantastic tournament, and the season really starts to get interesting here. I think the switch to the calendar is a good thing.
    I agree that it was fairly dull last night due to none of the leading contenders start of Sunday's round making it interesting after Molinari posted his round. Fair dues to Fitzpatrick and Wallace who both had great tournaments despite losing out to the very talented Molinari.

This weeks Players Championship at Sawgrass should be a cracker.

Rory remains frustrating but continues to dominate the betting being joint top with big DJ who in contrast wholly justifies favorite status.

Rory though could of course emerge as the winner but he has to begin well and maintain that form throughout and I'm tempted to pile on him at 12/1 in the hope that he does just that. However, real doubts still persist that he cannot for now appear to maintain a concerted effort rather than the odd very good rounds that put him into threatening positions but fail to materialise into winning ones.

Its weird to see Spieth out at 50/1 and just in case he returns to form I'll put a cheeky wee punt on him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of this lot at the top of the betting - DJ, Thomas, Rose, Rahm, Fowler, Molinari, Koepka win but you can't back them all and I'll be deciding where my ante post bets go over the next two days and whether or not to pile on Rory with a bit held back in reserve for after the cut on Friday evening just in case I've chosen duds. There's also the element that a bigger priced winner can emerge as we've seen many times before and it may pay to look to the likes of Fleetwood, Schaufelle, Kuchar, Finau, Reed, Day, Matsuyama, etc who're all very capable on their day.

Keith Mitchell's been in outstanding form in recent weeks and I'll be watching out for him and a few other outsiders who've been in recent good form to see if they can maintain it when so many of the top players are competing.

Looking forward to it and here's hoping a few Hibbys whoever they pick are in profit by end of play Sunday night.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Last edited by Tornadoes70; 11-03-2019 at 08:44 PM.

I agree that it was fairly dull last night due to none of the leading contenders start of Sunday's round making it interesting after Molinari posted his round. Fair dues to Fitzpatrick and Wallace who both had great tournaments despite losing out to the very talented Molinari.

This weeks Players Championship at Sawgrass should be a cracker.

Rory remains frustrating but continues to dominate the betting being joint top with big DJ who in contrast wholly justifies favorite status.

Rory though could of course emerge as the winner but he has to begin well and maintain that form throughout and I'm tempted to pile on him at 12/1 in the hope that he does just that. However, real doubts still persist that he cannot for now appear to maintain a concerted effort rather than the odd very good rounds that put him into threatening positions but fail to materialise into winning ones.

Its weird to see Spieth out at 50/1 and just in case he returns to form I'll put a cheeky wee punt on him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of this lot at the top of the betting - DJ, Thomas, Rose, Rahm, Fowler, Molinari, Koepka win but you can't back them all and I'll be deciding where my ante post bets go over the next two days and whether or not to pile on Rory with a bit held back in reserve for after the cut on Friday evening just in case I've chosen duds. There's also the element that a bigger priced winner can emerge as we've seen many times before and it may pay to look to the likes of Fleetwood, Schaufelle, Kuchar, Finau, Reed, Day, Matsuyama, etc who're all very capable on their day.

Keith Mitchell's been in outstanding form in recent weeks and I'll be watching out for him and a few other outsiders who've been in recent good form to see if they can maintain it when so many of the top players are competing.

Looking forward to it and here's hoping a few Hibbys whoever they pick are in profit by end of play Sunday night.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Really?! I'm more a causal follower of golf but I can't think that Speith should ever be 50/1 for any golf tournament, given his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Really?! I'm more a causal follower of golf but I can't think that Speith should ever be 50/1 for any golf tournament, given his talent.
    He's 50/1 on paddy power, I just checked.

Same as Patrick Reed (who has been a bit iffy recently but is capable of raising his game) and Lucas Glover.

Crazy odds, I've taken a wee bit of that e/w - they're paying up to 10 places on paddy power as well.

He's 50/1 on paddy power, I just checked.

Same as Patrick Reed (who has been a bit iffy recently but is capable of raising his game) and Lucas Glover.

Crazy odds, I've taken a wee bit of that e/w - they're paying up to 10 places on paddy power as well.
    Right enough - Speith is 60s with 365! May well be out of form and not even make the cut but that has to be too big.

On JT at 14/1 .. starts birdie, birdie, birdie, bogey, bogey, birdie

Speith gets 3 6's on the front nine and is sitting at +3.

If it sounds too good to be true.........

Speith gets 3 6's on the front nine and is sitting at +3.

If it sounds too good to be true.........
    I guess if there’s one consolation about not having a great Cheltenham.. it’s that I didn’t manage to get involved in Speith bets 😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Probably the best second round of golf I've ever seen on the PGA. Some spectacular rounds none better than Poulter's whose putter seemed magnetised to the cups.

Don't know if the legend that is Greg Norman's lowest Players Championship overall will be beaten but it should be close if not.

Some amazing golf for a second round.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Ladbrokes and William Hill will probably build a statue of Rory McIIroy when he retires as he easily converts from world class to amateur in the space of a day.

Jon Rahm had a brilliant round and could go on to win tomorrow.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

It's building up to a great final day. In a way, Jason Day is the surprise package as he's been struggling recently. He's a dangerous golfer to be up there with a chance of victory and he might just do that tomorrow.

4 holes in and any one of a dozen or so could win this.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rory in amateur mode looking as if he's chucked it. The bookies must adore Mciiroy.

Anyone's guess who'll win it at the moment.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Rory in amateur mode looking as if he's chucked it. The bookies must adore Mciiroy.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Maybe not.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Or maybe aye.

This is a cracking spectacle.

What a shot up the last that is from Furyk!

Rahm has been disappointing.

Fleetwood hasn't got going.