hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Messi

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    These greatest ever debates are quite tiresome. They can never be proven. I’ve spoken to people in their 80s now who insist that Duncan Edwards was the greatest all round footballer of all time. We can never know because he died aged 21.

One thing’s for sure, some day Messi will stop playing football, and the football world will be a sadder place. We should all try and enjoy him while he’s around. And when the next superstar of the next generation comes round, as they always do, the next generation of fans will, as always, think ‘their greatest’ is ‘The Greatest’

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These greatest ever debates are quite tiresome. They can never be proven. I’ve spoken to people in their 80s now who insist that Duncan Edwards was the greatest all round footballer of all time. We can never know because he died aged 21.

One thing’s for sure, some day Messi will stop playing football, and the football world will be a sadder place. We should all try and enjoy him while he’s around. And when the next superstar of the next generation comes round, as they always do, the next generation of fans will, as always, think ‘their greatest’ is ‘The Greatest’

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yip!

Every day is a school day

Married three times umpteen affairs seven children one of whom he did not recognise though listed by Wikedpedia as undoubtedly being his sadly died in 2006

Must have had his reasons but agree not good as he is a millionaire several times over

Over the years I have heard that both Maradona and Messi also had different skeletons in their closets but that does not excuse Pele
    Billy, as it's a thread about great players (which Pele definitely was) I should not have diversed from that. I regret bringing this into the discussion.

ps He was miles better than Messi!

First Team Breakthrough GTMRossaK3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Mind what Messi done to Hibs in a friendly? Imagine he could do that every week, he'd score alot more than 1500.

Messi has quite a few years in him yet remember. He's better than ever for goals and assist this season.
    Was that the game at Murrayfield? Can't remember why it was played at Murrayfield. Enjoyable day out to see some world class stars. The Barcelona stars weren't too bad either!!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    Billy, as it's a thread about great players (which Pele definitely was) I should not have diversed from that. I regret bringing this into the discussion.

ps He was miles better than Messi!

Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    Was that the game at Murrayfield? Can't remember why it was played at Murrayfield. Enjoyable day out to see some world class stars. The Barcelona stars weren't too bad either!!
    Barca were EVS HT-FT, unbelievable Jeff! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    come on now, you're being silly.
    There is no comparison with the tackles of the 70s and 80s and the occasional sly stamp you get today. Quite often a top level full back would get away with a warning for a 21st century 'red card challenge' early doors (a 'reducer' in parlance of old), then another Vinny Jones knee high assault might get a yellow.
    You'd have to do four or five dangerous challenges, or punch someone, to actually get a red. Watch a game sometime.

And serie a defenders? In the 80s? No myth. They battered you. And noone got it like Maradona.
    So defenders just dived in all the time? Messi would walk past that. Defenders now are much better than they were then, quicker, more disciplined, stronger, smarter and these guys score far far more goals against them than Maradona or Best ever did.

The occasional sly stamp is not true at all. Takes only a quick Google search to see top players getting smashed just this season.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    It was. I may be wrong but Dundee United drew with them (or a narrow defeat) at Tannadice the week before.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It was. I may be wrong but Dundee United drew with them (or a narrow defeat) at Tannadice the week before.
    Was it not 5 or 6-1 to Barca against utd

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    That’s was the previous year. Barca won 1-0 with a last minute penalty

So defenders just dived in all the time? Messi would walk past that. Defenders now are much better than they were then, quicker, more disciplined, stronger, smarter and these guys score far far more goals against them than Maradona or Best ever did.

The occasional sly stamp is not true at all. Takes only a quick Google search to see top players getting smashed just this season.
    No, they didn't 'dive in' all the time. They hurt you, on purpose.

The fact you can Google search an occurrence of violent play or two these days, doesn't change the reality that it was a regular occurrence back then, it is an occasional occurrence now.

But I think you know that really. you're arguing cos you like it.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

https://youtu.be/CpxoTiKkvw8

Slightly before my time and it is Celtic. Athletico Madrid however show why it gets described as a different era in terms of tackling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post

Slightly before my time and it is Celtic. Athletico Madrid however show why it gets described as a different era in terms of tackling

Never seen that before, amazing.

No doubt tackling and tackling rules have changes since Maradona and Pele playing days. But why does everyone assume Messi etc wouldn’t handle playing the same way the above two did?

Who knows.. if diving and rolling around didn’t work the way it does now, even the likes of Ronaldo wouldn’t bother with it and stand-up pretty well against these hardman defenders of yesteryear, given his physical attributes.

Lost 0-1 with a 90th min penalty

No, they didn't 'dive in' all the time. They hurt you, on purpose.

The fact you can Google search an occurrence of violent play or two these days, doesn't change the reality that it was a regular occurrence back then, it is an occasional occurrence now.

But I think you know that really. you're arguing cos you like it.
    I just don't see why Messi wouldn't have handled it just fine? Ronaldo as well, he's much bigger, stronger and fitter than Maradona. It's the only argument you seem to have, they got kicked a bit more 40 years ago, you actually think that is the difference between Messi and Ronaldo scoring far far more goals?

Why do you keep taking personal shots at me recently? It's very strange. I disagree with what you're saying so we're talking about it. Please stop trying to make it personal.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I just don't see why Messi wouldn't have handled it just fine? Ronaldo as well, he's much bigger, stronger and fitter than Maradona. It's the only argument you seem to have, they got kicked a bit more 40 years ago, you actually think that is the difference between Messi and Ronaldo scoring far far more goals?

Why do you keep taking personal shots at me recently? It's very strange. I disagree with what you're saying so we're talking about it. Please stop trying to make it personal.
    Balls.
    I mean balls make a difference.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Your debating style involves jumping all over other posters, calling valid opinions 'wrong' and being argumentative for the sake of it. Its not just me that's pointed it out.

Your debating style involves jumping all over other posters, calling valid opinions 'wrong' and being argumentative for the sake of it. Its not just me that's pointed it out.
    So would you like me to finish every post with "well you're entitled to your opinion" like others do? It really goes without saying, of course you are. I disagree though. Which I'm entitled to do.

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it, I'm disagreeing because it's a forum and I can do that.

I've never had a single warning from a admin or mod in nearly 10 years so I'm obviously not breaking any rules.

Ronaldo (Cristiano) is the best ever for me. He's excelled at every club he's played for in four different countries, Sporting, Man United, Real Madrid and now Juve winning five Champions leagues with two different clubs so far. Also dragged a relatively average Portugal all the way to become champions of Europe. Just incredible. It's no surprise Real Madrid are way off the pace this season without him.

Messi is fantastic but has been in his comfort zone at Barca surrounded by exceptional players for years and never really done much with Argentina. That's the difference for me.

Would take him in the January window though
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 17-01-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Ronaldo (Cristiano) is the best ever for me. He's excelled at every club he's played for in four different countries, Sporting, Man United, Real Madrid and now Juve winning five Champions leagues with two different clubs so far. Also dragged a relatively average Portugal all the way to become champions of Europe. Just incredible. It's no surprise Real Madrid are way off the pace this season without him.

Messi is fantastic but has been in his comfort zone at Barca surrounded by exceptional players for years and never really done much with Argentina. That's the difference for me.

Would take him in the January window though
    We shall disagree.

Ronaldo has signed for teams all who were top of the league in the 4 countries.

Portugal - he got injured early in the final. But obviously contributed before.

The stats of the 2 players should never be compared s I’ve witness Messi several times letting other take penalties / set up others for tap ins when he could have scored them himself.

The only area I would say Ronaldo is better than Messi is at is heading. But when it comes to all round play there better players than Ronaldo. But the one thing Ronaldo does do is score goals something that can’t be argued.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    We shall disagree.

Ronaldo has signed for teams all who were top of the league in the 4 countries.

Portugal - he got injured early in the final. But obviously contributed before.

The stats of the 2 players should never be compared s I’ve witness Messi several times letting other take penalties / set up others for tap ins when he could have scored them himself.

The only area I would say Ronaldo is better than Messi is at is heading. But when it comes to all round play there better players than Ronaldo. But the one thing Ronaldo does do is score goals something that can’t be argued.
    I’m somewhere in the middle of the two of you

I agree regards Ronaldo and the Euros. Messi took Argentina to the final of the WC and ultimately just fell short. Ronaldo took Portugal to the final of the Euros and didn’t contribute in the final due to injury. Fair enough he picked up a winners medal but in terms of their overall contribution I’m not sure you can hold that against Messi when Ronaldo played next to no part in the final.

Ronaldo to me though is streets ahead of everyone other than Messi. Although there’s not a lot between the two of them for me.

I’m somewhere in the middle of the two of you

I agree regards Ronaldo and the Euros. Messi took Argentina to the final of the WC and ultimately just fell short. Ronaldo took Portugal to the final of the Euros and didn’t contribute in the final due to injury. Fair enough he picked up a winners medal but in terms of their overall contribution I’m not sure you can hold that against Messi when Ronaldo played next to no part in the final.

Ronaldo to me though is streets ahead of everyone other than Messi. Although there’s not a lot between the two of them for me.
    Just lucky that both have played during our time

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Just lucky that both have played during our time
    Definitely

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Looks like our last few derbies at Tynecastle where neither side needed the ball.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Not much difference between that and Portugal v Holland in 2006 imo