hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough H113EE5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank **** for that. **** him and **** all his family as well.
    You’re a complete er$e and as bad as the er$es at Tiny who are happy with Robinson and the right wingers, the clowns at Castle Grey Skull and the soap dodgers at Parkdeed. Jeeezz who wants to decry the dead or their families. Our club weren’t exactly innocent with David Duff in charge. Almost deserved what we almost had.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Just posting to remind everyone that he’s still deid 👍
    I won’t let it be.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H113EE5 View Post
    You’re a complete er$e and as bad as the er$es at Tiny who are happy with Robinson and the right wingers, the clowns at Castle Grey Skull and the soap dodgers at Parkdeed. Jeeezz who wants to decry the dead or their families. Our club weren’t exactly innocent with David Duff in charge. Almost deserved what we almost had.
    I do and I thank you for your kind words.

United we stand here....

I dislike Mercer but confess that I do find it a bit strange still to be singing about him after all this time.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I dislike Mercer but confess that I do find it a bit strange still to be singing about him after all this time.
    To the victor belongs the spoils

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I agree. I don't really understand why it's relevant to sing anymore, especially if we're playing someone other than Hearts.

Reminds me of England fans who sing about German bombers. The world has moved on, plenty of ways to show support for the team that might actually galvanise the players. I remember going to the Links after winning the Scottish Cup and seeing a couple of real cretins singing about Mercer, Tommy Burns etc whilst thousands of Hibees young and old were celebrating the best day of their footballing lives. Can't shake that memory every time this is comes up.
    Last edited by neil7908; 09-12-2018 at 06:51 AM.

First Team Regular Sproule Three's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H113EE5 View Post
    . Our club weren’t exactly innocent with David Duff in charge. Almost deserved what we almost had.
    Is that statement for real ???

A Hibs fan saying that we deserved to be destroyed by FTB ( Deceased)
    Have a wee think about that !
    Last edited by Sproule Three; 09-12-2018 at 09:59 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Its an absolute howler of song, folk can sing it if they choose to but personally its not for me. Tarnishes our support imo.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Its an absolute howler of song, folk can sing it if they choose to but personally its not for me. Tarnishes our support imo.
    He was an awful man - hun supporting tax dodging Thatcherite. The protest at the one minutes silence was a fitting tribute from us. Let's leave at that. After all we have Romanov and Budge now.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    To the victor belongs the spoils
    Each to their own. I’ve sang the Mercer songs with gusto in the past as an angry reaction to his behavior regarding our club. But it now seems an irrelevance to me. But each to their own, I’m not in business of criticising others Hibs fans who feel they still have spleen to vent against him, but I’m personally over it.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Wish we could come up with a definitive list of what is morally acceptable and what isn’t. I’ll start:

ACCEPTABLE

Not only singing about someone dying of cancer, but revelling in their families pain

UNACEPTABLE

Singing about Dean Shiels having 1 eye

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Wish we could come up with a definitive list of what is morally acceptable and what isn’t. I’ll start:

ACCEPTABLE

Not only singing about someone dying of cancer, but revelling in their families pain

UNACEPTABLE

I’m sure the song only came about after he’d died. I also think it’s important to differentiate between the original and the newer songs. One is perfectly acceptable in my book and the other less so.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I’m sure the song only came about after he’d died. I also think it’s important to differentiate between the original and the newer songs. One is perfectly acceptable in my book and the other less so.
    The original one was acceptable at the time because it made a valid point that Mercer tried to kill Hibs but Hibs outlived him. It should've been consigned to the history books after a few years. The new one's just crass, I found it quite funny the first time I heard it out in Greece in the sunshine and fuelled by beer, but I was assuming it would be left in Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    So I can't sing about 7-0 or 6-2 since I wasn't alive? Will our kids & grankids not sing about 2016 because oh wait you didn't see it l, away and take your face for a ***** at least I'm no sitting on my hands saying nout

If your keyboard hardman wideo chat is indicative of the calibre of character singing this Mercer pish then I think I rest my case.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

ACCEPTABLE

UNACEPTABLE

I just don't believe this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    keyboard hardman wideo chat.
    I'm loving this. Definitely stealing it for the title of my new collection of short stories.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I'm loving this. Definitely stealing it for the title of my new collection of short stories.
    Glad you like it

Feel free to use it , its not copyrighted, a brief mention in the credits will do

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    It's a disgusting song and wholly inappropriate.
    Agreed

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAgyepong View Post
    During the match the singing section starting singing that dreadful song. “Wallace Mercer’s dead”, load of Sh*t if I’m honest with you. When the team are 2-0 down do you not thing we should be trying out best to motivate the lads? I suggest whenever we sing that song we try our best to drown it out with a proper Hibs song that’s surely better than that P*sh. We are currently playing sh*t so we should sing songs about HIBS and not Wallace Mercer.
    The supporters singing that song probably weren't born when Mercer was around .It's a sick song in my opinion

First Team Regular
    Having now read all the posts on here I find 90pcnt of them are an embarrassment to our club .I'm sure I will get abuse for my comment but go ahead . I have supported Hibs for almost 65years and have never known supporters to be so aggressive and childish

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Having now read all the posts on here I find 90pcnt of them are an embarrassment to our club .I'm sure I will get abuse for my comment but go ahead . I have supported Hibs for almost 65years and have never known supporters to be so aggressive and childish
    You’re right in what you say but a quick scroll of the past month will show several threads worth of churlish behaviour relating to far more heartfelt issues than than that worthless sod. It’s far too easy to get emotive in this medium, worse still when you’re unsure of what colour scarf you’re arguing with in the first instance, so some folk need a break.

65 years a Hibby is never to be sniffed at though and you’re 18 years better off than me. What’s your best Hibs pair of strikers?

Edit. Scratch that. Joe and Neil is surely good enough for anyone.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 09-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    You’re right in what you say but a quick scroll of the past month will show several threads worth of churlish behaviour relating to far more heartfelt issues than than that worthless sod. It’s far too easy to get emotive in this medium, worse still when you’re unsure of what colour scarf you’re arguing with in the first instance, so some folk need a break.

65 years a Hibby is never to be sniffed at though and you’re 18 years better off than me. What’s your best Hibs pair of strikers?

Edit. Scratch that. Joe and Neil is surely good enough for anyone.
    You have obviously read my post on best strikers

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    You have obviously read my post on best strikers
    I have and read it with the utmost respect!

As someone who got into Hibs after the guy died, I just find it faintly bemusing. I understand that it's impossible to forgive him for many fans but there's a way to express that which surely doesn't involve spitting on his grave. The guy had/has a family after all. Not to get overly moralistic but it's the kind of thing I think we all like to think we're above as Hibs fans.

By which I mean - of all the reasons I have for supporting this club, the fact that it is generally mercifully free from this kind of stuff by the standards of Scottish football, and has its part both in history and in active society against such pish is up there on the list. In a way I don't really give a toss because whilst it was before my generation I can understand the anger and I don't generally make a point of telling other people what they can and can't sing but I'd by lying if I said it really struck me as anything other than faintly cringeworthy and unfortunate when I've heard it against Hearts, let alone against St Mirren.
    Last edited by Perd Hapley; 10-12-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson's Swans View Post
    As someone born after the guy died
    Not long until you’re 13!! You excited?

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Not long until you’re 13!! You excited?
    Oh dear, not quite. In my defence I was a good bit younger than that when it did happen and it was only later I started following football - not that that's much of a defence...

Maybe there's humour to be found in death after all - I'd always assumed he died in the 90s somehow. Would like to think the above points still stand, if only because not knowing/noticing when the guy died probably just serves to underline his irrelevance to me and a large section of the younger Hibs support

Edit: should also clarify that I'm fully aware that a smaller subsection of said younger support know exactly when Wallace Mercer died and are very happy to express so both in the stands, and in the streets a la Francis Begbie - not that I'd contend a causal link, merely the general maxim that s***e tends to come from a*******s
    Last edited by Perd Hapley; 10-12-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Inadvertently saved us from destruction

Let us thank the man

As for the song itself, we can't continually harp on about the actions of other club's supporters on this forum when we have our own set of knuckle draggers as well.

Some of the posts on here are honestly embarrassing. Regardless of your views on what the man done, he died of cancer. For me,singing about that is deplorable.
    Do the people sing it think about how his family must feel when they hear that or fellow Hibees who have lost someone to cancer, having to listen to people celebrating a man losing his life to such a horrible disease.
    Time to stop this imo

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Forgive your enemy but remember the *******s name.

Quote Originally Posted by Time For Heroes View Post
    Some of the posts on here are honestly embarrassing. Regardless of your views on what the man done, he died of cancer. For me,singing about that is deplorable.
    Do the people sing it think about how his family must feel when they hear that or fellow Hibees who have lost someone to cancer, having to listen to people celebrating a man losing his life to such a horrible disease.
    Time to stop this imo
    Wouldn't wish that horrible disease on anyone, including Mercer. I wouldn't sing about that man at all tbh. He's best consigned to history. Hibernian Football club live on and that's all that matters now.