hibs.net Messageboard

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On my list 👍
    This links to a different thread but if you like listening to stuff on BBC iPlayer are you familiar with “In Our Time”?

It’s been on every week for years and years now on R4. Melvyn Bragg presents it, he has three guests who are usually Oxbridge dons or similar and he takes a subject. Could be anything, the life of John the Evangelist, the rubber-sheet theory of the universe, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the fall of the Roman Empire, the fall of man in Milton’s ‘Paradise Lost’.

Bragg keeps things moving by asking very direct questions of his experts, who are clearly briefed to respond in an accessible manner. You come away feeling like you’ve had an intellectual version of colonic irrigation.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This links to a different thread but if you like listening to stuff on BBC iPlayer are you familiar with “In Our Time”?

It’s been on every week for years and years now on R4. Melvyn Bragg presents it, he has three guests who are usually Oxbridge dons or similar and he takes a subject. Could be anything, the life of John the Evangelist, the rubber-sheet theory of the universe, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the fall of the Roman Empire, the fall of man in Milton’s ‘Paradise Lost’.

Bragg keeps things moving by asking very direct questions of his experts, who are clearly briefed to respond in an accessible manner. You come away feeling like you’ve had an intellectual version of colonic irrigation.
    Never had the irrigation thing so don't know how accurate your comparison is, but R4's the cat's bollocks. Except The Archers and Wumman's Hour.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Never had the irrigation thing so don't know how accurate your comparison is, but R4's the cat's bollocks. Except The Archers and Wumman's Hour.
    Never had irrigation either, I was speculating

R4 is good, I drive a lot with work and usually listen to R3 but will change to R4 if it’s a piece of music I really dislike. I’ve stumbled across some absolute gems in the afternoon schedule, usually half an hour long.

Also have got back into listening to the World Service. Used to go to sleep to it in my early twenties, a long time ago now. It’s gently reassuring. I’m getting old
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Sorry to take the thread off topic, but some of the stuff on iPlayer radio app is really worth listening too. I’m a bit of a technophobe, but we sometimes forget just how good radio can be.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    I listen to The Archers when I'm washing up. It's great.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I listen to The Archers whenI'm washing up. It's great.

Womans work no?

The Sun Bingo advert, bollocks!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Womans work no?
    Steady Mr Crab! I have delete buttons

Left by mutual consent!
    People who force their children to go running with them.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Steady Mr Crab! I have delete buttons

You've got an itchy delete button finger.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    You've got an itchy delete button finger.
    With your name on it

Toothbrush subscription.

@hibs.net private member
    Store security at the doors.

Sometimes it will bleep but I don't understand why some people will actually turn round and go back into the store

even if there is no one at the security desk.

Presuming that they haven't stolen anything, why do they go back in?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

Sometimes it will bleep but I don't understand why some people will actually turn round and go back into the store

Maybe they don't want to bleep if they're going to other shops.

@hibs.net private member

To.make sure i dont have one of those plastic security tags left on something.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

In case there is a security tag on a garment that they will struggle to remove once back home is one reason when buying cloths. Not that I need any help removing them ;-)

Tricks of the trade learnt from my days in retail security, not old shoplifting skills before anyone asks.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 25-09-2018 at 04:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    In case there is a security tag on a garment that they will struggle to remove once back home is one reason when buying cloths. Not that I need any help removing them ;-)

Tricks of the trade learnt from my days in retail security, not old shoplifting skills before anyone asks.
    I wish I knew! (And not because I'm a shoplifter!)

It's happened to me a few times (and didn't even beep, or I'd have known.) Most recently, my daughter bought a top in a shop in London that doesn't have a branch in Scotland. We got home, she found the tag...

I tried a couple of shops to see if they had similar tags, failed, and eventually her big sister cracked it only after trying just about every other shop in town.

On a similar note, I now never refuse a receipt on the self -checkout till, after my receiptless M+S steaks started beeping on my way out the door. They were very good about it, however.
    Last edited by s.a.m; 25-09-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    I wish I knew! (And not because I'm a shoplifter!)

It's happened to me a few times (and didn't even beep, or I'd have known.) Most recently, my daughter bought a top in a shop in London that doesn't have a branch in Scotland. We got home, she found the tag...

I tried a couple of shops to see if they had similar tags, failed, and eventually her big sister cracked it only after trying just about every other shop in town.

On a similar note, I now never refuse a receipt on the self -checkout till, after my receiptless M+S steaks started beeping on my way out the door. They were very good about it, however.
    They are all fairly easy mate as it’s a pin held in place by ball bearings and a spring mechanism in most cases. I can do most of them in seconds.

@hibs.net private member
    To.make sure i dont have one of those plastic security tags left on something.

This was at a Tesco store and I can't imagine their clothes are tagged but good point all the same

Prosecco

Just a cheap/worse version of champagne, which I'm not overly keen on anyway.

It became a big thing amongst women a few years ago and now seems to becoming popular with guys too

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Prosecco

Just a cheap/worse version of champagne, which I'm not overly keen on anyway.

It became a big thing amongst women a few years ago and now seems to becoming popular with guys too
    I prefer it to Champagne, I think it tastes better - although I'm not overly keen on either (throw in some flavoured gin and we start getting somewhere though).

Given I'm not keen on either - I'd rather sip my way through £9 than £40.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I prefer it to Champagne, I think it tastes better - although I'm not overly keen on either (throw in some flavoured gin and we start getting somewhere though).

Given I'm not keen on either - I'd rather sip my way through £9 than £40.
    I'm the same. Hate champagne and can only take prosecco with flavoured gin or chambord.

We were at a wedding last year and got three free glasses of prosecco during dinner. I had a hip flask filled with chambord to flavour it. I ended up havibg to go back to the room to refill it as everybody at the table wanted some

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    This was at a Tesco store and I can't imagine their clothes are tagged but good point all the same
    I can confirm Tesco tags clothes - my missus suffered the fate of discovering the tag when she put the garment on later.
    Luckily we had the receipt and a more local branch removed the tag for us.

Funnily enough it DIDN'T beep on the way out, or we wouldn't have taken it home!

People who tell you they don’t like a particular food then confess to never actually trying or tasting that particular food

Old guys who do a sort of running motion but don't actually go any quicker. Guy was at it crossing the road in front of my car this morning. Just walk.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    People who tell you they don’t like a particular food then confess to never actually trying or tasting that particular food
    I do that.

I just can't look past the texture or the smell of some food.

Realise i'm in the wrong though and i'm a total hypocrite as i give my boy **** for not trying stuff.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I do that.

I just can't look past the texture or the smell of some food.

Realise i'm in the wrong though and i'm a total hypocrite as i give my boy **** for not trying stuff.
    Im the same and was really strict with the kids growing up about trying different things as its a pain trying to find places to eat when your fussy. Mostly smell and texture for me too.

Having said that my boys made me taste fried octopus ball flavoured juice the other day. It had a marble in the lid that you pushed down and made the liquid fizz. Very bizarre. Vile doesnt come close.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The appeal of lap dancing clubs.

Went to one on a stag do in Budapest and it was terrible.

Im the same and was really strict with the kids growing up about trying different things as its a pain trying to find places to eat when your fussy. Mostly smell and texture for me too.

Having said that my boys made me taste fried octopus ball flavoured juice the other day. It had a marble in the lid that you pushed down and made the liquid fizz. Very bizarre. Vile doesnt come close.
    I wouldn't really have expected octopus' balls to taste anything other than vile.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The appeal of lap dancing clubs.

Went to one on a stag do in Budapest and it was terrible.
    Same here. I was on a boy's weekend in Prague recently where some of the guys would have happily spent the whole weekend in titty bars. Don't get me wrong, I like titties as much as the next guy but there's just something incredibly seedy about these places that makes them sexually sterile in my opinion.