hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would surely be unthinkable for them to have returned to a reckless Vlad-era policy of spending money they don't have. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, what does appear to be happening is that there is additional funding coming from somewhere to facilitate such an extraordinary influx of players. Is this coming from Budge and if so what's prompted it (given that in her most recent ramble much was made of how the new stand still requires a great deal of expenditure and that a good chunk of the Lafferty cash was going to be channelled towards that)?
    Not completing the eighth wonder stand and yet further diversions of the DD's from the actual purchase of shares? Just a wild guess.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

2. Log in to remove the advert

It would surely be unthinkable for them to have returned to a reckless Vlad-era policy of spending money they don't have. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, what does appear to be happening is that there is additional funding coming from somewhere to facilitate such an extraordinary influx of players. Is this coming from Budge and if so what's prompted it (given that in her most recent ramble much was made of how the new stand still requires a great deal of expenditure and that a good chunk of the Lafferty cash was going to be channelled towards that)?
    Well they have clearly decided they don't want us finishing above them again in the League The natives were restless and us selling more Season Tickets than them and getting into Europe will have irked them
    Fair play to them for stepping up to the mark now it's up to us to respond and prove Quality Counts
    But yes it does make you wonder how they are able to afford this given they made a very clear statement before the Season started that this Season would be a period of Transition and fans may need to be patient Do clearly something has changed

The thing im detecting from Hertz fans this season is the total absence of any caution, or balance, or calm about their start. Its like they're three quarters of the way through the season instead of five games in. Ive just been listening to Anthony Brown from the EEN on podcast. Apparently

1. Its a 'myth' that Levein is a defensive minded coach
    2. Its already going to be a 'special season'.
    3. Hearts are the 'real deal'.
    4. The credit goes to Levein. He cant be judged on last seasons sixth place because he didnt have a preseason to work with the boys.

and of course
    5. 'Hibs havent done as well as expected' which makes it all the sweeter.

My thinking is, its possible that they keep up their early form and stay in the hunt till the Spring. And there is a part of me that would quite like them to, in order to make the Scottish game look more competitive, stop it being the Celtc show every year and in general shake it up a bit.

But then the kind of rampant small cock mentality shown above, and also to be heard on the back of every Lothian Bus by spotty faced, testicle fiddling jambo cretins in cheap trackies and tragic 'hairdos', reveals itself and I want them to be destroyed by everyone they play.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The thing im detecting from Hertz fans this season is the total absence of any caution, or balance, or calm about their start. Its like they're three quarters of the way through the season instead of five games in. Ive just been listening to Anthony Brown from the EEN on podcast. Apparently

4. The credit goes to Levein. He cant be judged on last seasons sixth place because he didnt have a preseason to work with the boys.

and of course

My thinking is, its possible that they keep up their early form and stay in the hunt till the Spring. And there is a part of me that would quite like them to, in order to make the Scottish game look more competitive, stop it being the Celtc show every year and in general shake it up a bit.

But then the kind of rampant small cock mentality shown above, and also to be heard on the back of every Lothian Bus by spotty faced, testicle fiddling jambo cretins in cheap trackies and tragic 'hairdos', reveals itself and I want them to be destroyed by everyone they play.
    This is the bit that sticks in the craw. As director of football Levein was the main man when it came to ushering in the supposed Cathro revolution and will have overseen every failed signing made during that time. A rip it up and start again approach for this season doesn't suddenly make him a managerial genius. Most managers try to build a team and don't have the luxury of simply signing an entire new one when Plan A implodes. The guy was getting pelters from the yam support just a few weeks ago when they were losing to Raith in the League Cup yet a few wins later all is forgiven.

Take a look at his managerial career. Solid enough in parts but abysmal at times (Leicester, Scotland) and not a trophy to be seen. The way he's reinvented himself after the Scotland fiasco as some sort of managerial guru is something that gets swallowed all too easily.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

and of course

They have such short memories. The Burley season was just the same: after a great start, they were going to break up the Old Firm etc. Erm naw. And then there's the ultimate in bravado gone wrong - 1986. They never learn to shut their big mooths. We are FIVE games gone.

By the way, that Jambo fanzine, also known as the EEN, is an embarrassment.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Christ this thread is over-egged.

5 games out of 38 played so far, I'm really worried that with just 99 points left to play for no-one will be able to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    They have such short memories. The Burley season was just the same: after a great start, they were going to break up the Old Firm etc. Erm naw. And then there's the ultimate in bravado gone wrong - 1986. They never learn to shut their big mooths. We are FIVE games gone.

They did LOL. As pointed out 99 points to play for, post Christmas then we can discuss/panic/not care/laugh.

A little tip for Hearts fans looking in.. Big teams don't sing about "not being moved" and Europa league qualifiers five games in to a season. The big team perception is looking a bit flawed with the over reaction to being five points above Livingston in September. It's almost as misleading as celebrating going in level at half time with Hibs at Easter Road.

You know what happens when you start to celebrate achievements too early.. The double in 86, we are unbeatable in 06, high five's with fans in semi finals against teams with 9 men, money spinning replays etc, etc, etc.

You've admittedly had a good start to the season, well done, but it's only a good start.

The wheels will come off at some point. Rewind to 2007 - we were flying high top of the table mid-October, undefeated with wins over both halves of the old firm and Hearts. Ended up finishing 6th!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/7029174.stm

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Stone View Post
    They did LOL. As pointed out 99 points to play for, post Christmas then we can discuss/panic/not care/laugh.
    You're right, they finished second, but it was a flash in a pan. At that the time they were talking about being a new force, a trophy winning machine, based upon financial doping. The gormless of Gorgie lapped it up, believing it was about to happen.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    The wheels will come off at some point. Rewind to 2007 - we were flying high top of the table mid-October, undefeated with wins over both halves of the old firm and Hearts. Ended up finishing 6th!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/7029174.stm
    October no bad u got a copy of the table at that stage? Didn’t think we were unbeaten?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    October no bad u got a copy of the table at that stage? Didn’t think we were unbeaten?
    Haven't got a copy of the table, but here are our early results from that season. It went rapidly downhill almost straight after the Ibrox win:

Hearts 0 Hibs 1
    Hibs 4 Gretna 2
    Dundee Utd 0 Hibs 0
    Hibs 3 Aberdeen 3
    Hibs 1 Inverness 0
    Falkirk 1 Hibs 1
    Hibs 3 Celtic 2
    Hibs 4 Kilmarnock 1
    Rangers 0 Hibs 1

Haven't got a copy of the table, but here are our early results from that season. It went rapidly downhill almost straight after the Ibrox win:

11 August 2007SPL Hibernian 4 – 2 Gretna
    show
    Easter Road, Edinburgh

18 August 2007SPL Dundee United 0 – 0 Hibernian
    show
    Tannadice Park, Dundee

25 August 2007SPL Hibernian 3 – 3 Aberdeen
    show
    Easter Road, Edinburgh

1 September 2007SPL Hibernian 1 – 0 Inverness CT
    show
    Easter Road, Edinburgh

15 September 2007SPL Falkirk 1 – 1 Hibernian
    show
    Falkirk Stadium, Falkirk

23 September 2007SPL Hibernian 3 – 2 Celtic
    show
    Easter Road, Edinburgh

29 September 2007SPL Hibernian 4 – 1 Kilmarnock
    show
    Easter Road, Edinburgh

6 October 2007SPL Rangers 0 – 1 Hibernian
    I blame Whittaker

My memory is getting fuzzy. Can someone remind me what happened when they cunningly sacked Burley, as they sat top of the league and looked good for it....I have a fuzzy, hazy recollection of singing in the east and some dafties banging on about being unbeatable, wearing stupid ****ing hats and looking mighty daft. It may be one big Bobby Ewing type dream mind and history may well be conning my grey matter

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I bet we’re above them in the table by the 1st of November.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Not got a table but we were definitely top and unbeaten after that Rangers game. I think the following week we lost 2-1 at Fir Park (Fletcher put us 1-0 from the spot too!) and that began a massive downward spiral culminating in Collins walking before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    I blame Whittaker

Haha Boozy apart, we had a **** team back then! Collins went on to greatness after us (said nobody EVER!), i'd not want any of the others near our team now.

Left by mutual consent!

and of course

Another thing that should be said about this kind of 'analysis' is that it's not really analysis at all is it? Like pretty much all football punditry it's a reaction to what takes place on the field, nothing more insightful. Yes, a paid journalist may put things a little more eloquently (though not in all cases!) but essentially it's just a dressed up version of what most fans could come up with over a post-match pint. Had Hearts made a terrible start to the season and Hibs got off to a flyer, Anthony Brown would instead have said something along the lines that it was a mistake to keep Levein in the manager's post after the sixth-place finish, that he'd once again signed too many average players and that Hibs were again proving that they are a better organised club. There's no real expertise, just a desire to write or talk about football for a living.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by broondog View Post
    exactly. You have to question how they continue getting away with it. When are the authorities going to step in and take action as they are clearly spending more than they are bringing in yet again. As you say we become a threat and their solution is to rack up huge debts to gain an advantage
    I don't think they are spending more than they are bringing in. They've just thought of new and interesting ways of attracting income since their Admin. By my calculations they've attracted some additional £15-18m to the project since their Admin. That's additional cash over and above normal football club income, match day sales, season tickets, outside sponsorship etc. The only funding debt they really have is the (possible) £2m of bank loans they applied for last year. The amount of money they have injected and spent is quite astonishing but it's not in any way dodgy or unsustainable. They've had to spend a large part of the last 5 years funding on rescuing the club but once that's done you only need to average out their additional funding (say £18m/5 years = £3.6m per annum) to realise they could be miles ahead of anyone apart from the Old Firm in Scotland.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post

Sorry to say, but they did they were 2nd!

But what's wrong with a bit of out and out bravado, it makes it easier to ram it down their throat when the bubble bursts!!!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    I don't think they are spending more than they are bringing in. They've just thought of new and interesting ways of attracting income since their Admin. By my calculations they've attracted some additional £15-18m to the project since their Admin. That's additional cash over and above normal football club income, match day sales, season tickets, outside sponsorship etc. The only funding debt they really have is the (possible) £2m of bank loans they applied for last year. The amount of money they have injected and spent is quite astonishing but it's not in any way dodgy or unsustainable. They've had to spend a large part of the last 5 years funding on rescuing the club but once that's done you only need to average out their additional funding (say £18m/5 years = £3.6m per annum) to realise they could be miles ahead of anyone apart from the Old Firm in Scotland.
    It also helps when you can walk away from £30 million of debt then reinvent yourself as a bastion of financial prudence

Be interested to see your calculations. The £15-18m you mention should, if true, just about cover the cost of the new stand, which is set to cost £15 million or more to complete (though given the snail's pace progress nobody will be surprised if it ends up costing significantly more). Granted, £4.5 million of that has been provided by 'mystery' donors but other than lump sums being donated by wealthy fans and putting out the begging bowl to the fans to keep the club alive by founding FOH I'm not sure what 'new and interesting ways of attracting income' they've found.

As an aside, it's interesting to read in this piece from last December that Levein rated last summer's signings as an improvement on the previous January's. How many of them are still at the club or playing in the first team?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...lion-1-4643058

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    It also helps when you can walk away from £30 million of debt then reinvent yourself as a bastion of financial prudence

Be interested to see your calculations. The £15-18m you mention should, if true, just about cover the cost of the new stand, which is set to cost £15 million or more to complete (though given the snail's pace progress nobody will be surprised if it ends up costing significantly more). Granted, £4.5 million of that has been provided by 'mystery' donors but other than lump sums being donated by wealthy fans and putting out the begging bowl to the fans to keep the club alive by founding FOH I'm not sure what 'new and interesting ways of attracting income' they've found.

As an aside, it's interesting to read in this piece from last December that Levein rated last summer's signings as an improvement on the previous January's. How many of them are still at the club or playing in the first team?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...lion-1-4643058
    Could be wrong, but was it not nearer £70M ?
    Did they not do 2 x £20M debt for equity swaps with UKIO ?

Either way, thieving tramps are jammy as **** getting these private individuals helping them out. (sooner Andy Murray retires and decides to throw some cash our way, the better)
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Could be wrong, but was it not nearer £70M ?
    Did they not do 2 x £20M debt for equity swaps with UKIO ?

Either way, thieving tramps are jammy as **** getting these private individuals helping them out. (sooner Andy Murray retires and decides to throw some cash our way, the better)

Not sure if it ended up as more but approx £30 million was the figure given out initially:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...200_creditors/

The entitlement brigade are back in town.

Hiding since 21st May 2016.

They will be away soon enough.

Testimonial Due
    Not sure if it ended up as more but approx £30 million was the figure given out initially:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...200_creditors/
    That £30m was only the amount owed to Ukios and written off at the time of Administration. In the preceding years an earlier massive amount (could be the £40m mentioned above) was converted from debt to equity thus eliminating that debt enabling them to rack up even more thieved money and it not look so bad on their balance sheet. The total amount injected by HMFC benefactors over the past 30 years must be approaching £100m.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    That £30m was only the amount owed to Ukios and written off at the time of Administration. In the preceding years an earlier massive amount (could be the £40m mentioned above) was converted from debt to equity thus eliminating that debt enabling them to rack up even more thieved money and it not look so bad on their balance sheet. The total amount injected by HMFC benefactors over the past 30 years must be approaching £100m.
    UKIO Bankas were "only" owed £15m. The rest of the £29m debt was made up of other creditors.

There were 2 DfE swaps, one for £12m and one for £10m.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    UKIO Bankas were "only" owed £15m. The rest of the £29m debt was made up of other creditors.

There were 2 DfE swaps, one for £12m and one for £10m.
    Jeez, give me a £66m head start on everyone else and I'd be able to win more than 2 Scottish cups in the same period.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Jeez, give me a £66m head start on everyone else and I'd be able to win more than 2 Scottish cups in the same period.

Give me your calculator

(it's "only" £51m.....)
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 19-09-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Give me your calculator

(it's "only" £51m.....)
    Alright, 1 Scottish cup for £51m it is.

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Christ this thread is over-egged.

5 games out of 38 played so far, I'm really worried that with just 99 points left to play for no-one will be able to catch them.
    Let them chugg off, then face the ridicule. Again.