hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Undisclosed Fee

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC 0-7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dont believe that we are keeping it quiet so other teams don’t know how much we have. The player will know and more importantly so will the agent. Agents talk and if a club wanted to know I am pretty sure they could get the info from them.

Ever heard of client confidentiality? Would you trust what they told you anyway?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    It’s the nosiness and bested interest in the club that makes us want to know. Do we support Villa now as our English team?
    On a personal level I’m not fussed. I know we would have got a great deal but I’m not going to be frothing at the club for not spending x amount.
    First time in a long time that I trust the club to do the right thing with all of the money.
    That’s good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    It wouldn’t make sense to let other clubs know how much we might have to spend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And yet the price you paid for your house is piblished online.

It’s anti-competitive behaviour which undermines a free market to benefit privileged individuals.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar

Undisclosed Fee

I get why we don’t disclose with regards to other clubs knowing how much we’ve got to spend but do folk actually think that’s going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things? If we go to Dundee for Kamara they know we’ve just taken in millions for SJM, whether it’s £3mill or £3.2mill with a Villa promotion bonus thrown in is surely neither here nor there to them. It would be interesting to know exactly how good a deal we got.

Should add, would also save all the annoying chat from folk pretending they know exactly what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    I get why we don’t disclose with regards to other clubs knowing how much we’ve got to spend but do folk actually think that’s going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things? If we go to Dundee for Kamara they know we’ve just taken in millions for SJM, whether it’s £3mill or £3.2mill with a Villa promotion bonus thrown in is surely neither here nor there to them. It would be interesting to know exactly how good a deal we got.

Should add, would also save all the annoying chat from folk pretending they know exactly what it was.
    Find out when the accounts come out

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Yet Stubbs doesn't know?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Assuming 10% signing on fee that would make it £3.5m with Saintsgetting just over 25%. Petrie always said 30% sign on too high.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 10-08-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875STEVE View Post
    Will we though? It’s never quite that simple. Won’t just say £4million from Villa, for example. Won’t tell us about add ons, sell on percentage etc either.

Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    Totally Agree.. imagine Tesco or asda for example Buying the Rights to Call us the Tesco / asda Stadium..

Petrie or LD saying - undisclosed fee !!! The fans would go radio rental...
    Talk about comparing apples with oranges....

Quote Originally Posted by 1875STEVE View Post
    Have to wait until October 2019 then and even then it won’t be stated.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    So much for transparency in football. I know it’s commercially sensitive information but what will happen if fan ownership ever becomes a reality
    From my experience as a minor "blazer" at a fan-owned club, secrecy gets worse😒

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricStoner View Post
    From my experience as a minor "blazer" at a fan-owned club, secrecy gets worse
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    So much for transparency in football. I know it’s commercially sensitive information but what will happen if fan ownership ever becomes a reality
    There should be no difference from what happens just now. The ownership devolves the executive functions to appropriate people.

@hibs.net private member Greenfly's Avatar
    Undisclosed fee at least gives them something to speculate about on Sportscene other than the ugly sisters. That said, they'll likely focus on why he didn't go to the sister in the hooped dress.

What is amazing is the number of people who seem to a huge amount of facts regarding price, sell-on percentages, bonus payments and other add ons. No two that I have read actually agree with one and other. The hearts ones are the best, by the time they had it worked out and agreed on we were getting about £4.99, a hat and balloon or maybe it was a hat and a balloon worth £4.99.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    What is amazing is the number of people who seem to a huge amount of facts regarding price, sell-on percentages, bonus payments and other add ons. No two that I have read actually agree with one and other. The hearts ones are the best, by the time they had it worked out and agreed on we were getting about £4.99, a hat and balloon or maybe it was a hat and a balloon worth £4.99.
    The balloon might turn out to be a rough diamond. Remember Boyle when he arrived?

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Can someone explain why the JM fee was undisclosed (and why any transfer fee is noted as undisclosed?)

Personally I would like to know the outcome of this particular transfer deal. It would be good to know, what transfer fee will be recieved, what add ons may fall due to Hibs (sell on fees, promotion bonuses etc) and how much will go to St Mirren.

I'd also like to know, how much the manager may expect to receive toward the player budget.

I feel a bit in the dark with this one.

I dont get the obsession with having to know the fee. It’ll be in the annual business accounts anyway...

why do do football fans feel they have a right to know what is essentially a business transaction?

nothing more to see here....

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    To be honest IMO, in this day and age and for transparency all transfer fees should be declared, whether it involves us, Man Utd or Cowdenbeath. I understand the reasoning for not doing so just dont agree with it.
    What salary do you earn and what’s the maximum you could attain ? Also what bonuses did you accumulate this year ?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    What salary do you earn and what’s the maximum you could attain ? Also what bonuses did you accumulate this year ?
    Good business sense not to reveal as many said here. Protects us from being over charged for players. Financial acumen not top of the pops for a lot of fans.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Have to wait until October 2019 then and even then it won’t be stated.
    it’s all in there but not clear as they use amortisation (checked with my mate that’s an accountant). Hidden away basically.

Anyway based on what we know and the figures quoted it’s clear that it’s a £4m fee, 30% (ish) to St Mirren which leaves us £2.8m (ish).

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't see how we are not going to be overcharged just because the fee is undisclosed. Maybe if we were looking to spend over £1m on a player.

Clubs know we got certainly over £1m for him and the market we buy in say we want to spend 250k on a player how much more will they want? The same amount more whether we got £1m or £100m it's all relative.

So we want a player from say Dundee at £500k, Dundee know we pocketed a few million disclosed or not so it's totally irrelevant to our buying if folk know how much we got.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 10-08-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I don't see how we are not going to be overcharged just because the fee is undisclosed. Maybe if we were looking to spend over £1m on a player.

Clubs know we got certainly over £1m for him and the market we buy in say we want to spend 250k on a player how much more will they want? The same amount more whether we got £1m or £100m it's all relative.

So we want a player from say Dundee at £500k, Dundee know we pocketed a few million disclosed or not so it's totally irrelevant to our buying if folk know how much we got. The level of fee we pay clubs know we are flush they will try and get as much extra regardless of the fee being known.
    Clubs know we have got money but the less they think it is the less they will be looking for. Also we are competing with other clubs. They will be offering slightly more of what they think we can afford. The lower the money they think we have the more the chance we will get the player. It is a game of poker and you dont show your hand.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Clubs know we have got money but the less they think it is the less they will be looking for. Also we are competing with other clubs. They will be offering slightly more of what they think we can afford. The lower the money they think we have the more the chance we will get the player. It is a game of poker and you dont show your hand.
    Sorry but I don't agree. If we were looking to spend £2.5m on 1 player then a club can squeeze maybe another 250k or more. How much more can a club squeeze from us for a 200 or 300k player though? They know we got a couple of million even if it is undisclosed and what if a club think a fee is undisclosed because its much higher than we actually got?

The market we buy in this deals actual amounts are not going to stop clubs charging us more. There is only so much more you can ask for a player at 200 or 300k and that will likely be the same if we got £1m or £20m.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 10-08-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post

So true

On Yakbak they all seem to have an insight on Hibs financial accounts

I’m not clear as to what the benefit is on not disclosing
    Celtic got $9m for Armstrong we know but what difference does knowing make.?
    I guess if anything it reinforced how much we wanted for John but Neil had already put the price tag on him at $5mln

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry but I don't agree. If we were looking to spend £2.5m on 1 player then a club can squeeze maybe another 250k or more. How much more can a club squeeze from us for a 200 or 300k player though? They know we got a couple of million even if it is undisclosed and what if a club think a fee is undisclosed because its much higher than we actually got?

The market we buy in this deals actual amounts are not going to stop clubs charging us more. There is only so much more you can ask for a player at 200 or 300k and that will likely be the same if we got £1m or £20m.
    Totally agree. In fact SJM is a great example. Hibs had a value of the player and as much as the fans mention Armstrong of Celtic going for x amount, I don't think that would have affected our valuation. Ultimately Villa offered an amount were happy with. I don't think any of their transfer activities had an impact on our fee.

At the very top end of the market clubs who effectively have bottomless pockets like Man City are or have been getting a premium added but I really don't see how an undisclosed fee when its common knowledge that it'll be in the millions will make much difference to our dealings for players who'll be valued in the low hundreds of thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The player won't necessarily know. The deal is between the 2 clubs, and it's up to them whether the details of that deal are shared.

I think the player would know, I think a player like SJM would want to know Hibs got a decent deal

Testimonial Due

For the type of player we are competition go for it probably puts an extra 50k to 100k on the price if they knew we got 4m as poised to letting people think it was under 3m. The type of clubs we are competing with Aberdeen,Hearts and League 1 England can up their bids by 5ok to 100k quite easily. Higher transfer fees push the general market up us we have seen in England. This filters down to all levels. The clubs we are competing with are not awash with money. Why at our level not a good idea to disclose fees and keep a lid on the prices of players at our level.

Think the fans have a right to know, especially with fans buying shares in HSL etc. The £100,000 fee we got for Murray was made known, why not McGinn

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    Think the fans have a right to know
    No they dont

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    No they dont
    I think they do. After everything is said and done, the fans are the ones that fund the club. Without the fans, the club would cease to exist.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    Think the fans have a right to know, especially with fans buying shares in HSL etc. The £100,000 fee we got for Murray was made known, why not McGinn
    Was it? Don’t mind seeing that from any official channels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk