hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay

Boyle and Gray - Can we play them both?

Playing our 352 really creates a conundrum for us. Both players are undroppable just now but I don’t believe the 352 works best with both of them in the team.

Boyle is far more effective and dangerous out wide. SDG is also a brilliant wingback but his defensive qualities far outweighs Boyle’s.

As a striker Boyle is ok. His composure and finishing are not the best but his pace is always a threat. I’d rather have Jamie Mac up beside Flo, or Shaw.

I believe the only way to accommodate both would be for us to play either a 442 or 433.

Perhaps when we get Agyepong in the team we can afford to play 442 but what does the middle of midfield look like? Mallan definitely but who beside him?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Playing our 352 really creates a conundrum for us. Both players are undroppable just now but I don’t believe the 352 works best with both of them in the team.

Boyle is far more effective and dangerous out wide. SDG is also a brilliant wingback but his defensive qualities far outweighs Boyle’s.

As a striker Boyle is ok. His composure and finishing are not the best but his pace is always a threat. I’d rather have Jamie Mac up beside Flo, or Shaw.

I believe the only way to accommodate both would be for us to play either a 442 or 433.

Perhaps when we get Agyepong in the team we can afford to play 442 but what does the middle of midfield look like? Mallan definitely but who beside him?
    I do think we will end up going to a 442 formation, and I think it will be the midfielder that we haven't yet signed that will be in the middle alongside Mallan.

We have a few of these conundrums in our squad right now.

4-3-3/ 4-5-1 would suit Gray, Boyle and Bartley but which CH do you drop? Hanlon and Efe have often looked wobbly without either McGregor or Porteous in there. Could you justify dropping either Efe or Hanlon but playing Porteous or McGregor? Who plays on the left?

@hibs.net private member
    3-5-2 has been our best formation during Lennons time and Boyle on the right has been one of the biggest successes of that formation so I think once we are at full strength we will see Boyle back out wide and gray to the bench. Seems harsh I know as Gray has been outstanding for us this year so far but there is no space for sentiment if we want to progress in Europe and fight for 2nd.

@hibs.net private member
    So which CB loses out in the 442 or 433 formation...? There is always going to be a sacrifice. Unfortunately I think the sacrifice needs to be Gray unless we need to play defensively, and continue with the 352.

As for who plays on the left of a 451, it would be Agyepong.

I think our strongest team will be

Marciano/Bogdan

Hanlon
    McGregor
    Ambrose

Stevenson
    Mallan
    NEW CM
    Hyndman
    Boyle

Kamberi
    MacLaren

One thing i could see happen is Lewy falling back into the back 3 (like he did against Rangers last year) and Agyepong taking up the LWB role.... again i think Lennon will have two versions of the 352, one for an attacking game and one for a defensive game.
    Last edited by BlackSheep; 10-08-2018 at 08:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Need our best players out on the park just now regardless of formation and Boyler and SDG are right up there just now. A revitalised SDG has been a breath of fresh air like a new signing. We still appear to be lacking something imo and hopefully we can add quality to the squad before the window closes.
    Boyler is a wide player not a striker and we need to get Jamie Mac up to speed. We also have the boy from Bournemouth who looks decent going by his you tube clips and the boy from Man City to add to the mix.
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 10-08-2018 at 08:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I like Boyle out wide, but I like SDG pushed up a bit, it's a fantastic outball from goal kicks and for cross field balls by Hanlon/Mallan to Gray out wide. Gray's run towards the end was sublime, he came inside when he seen the space and stayed onside, won the header to knock down for Hyndman who almost scored. I don't think Boyle would have done the same, but he offers something completely different and I wouldn't expect him to.

On the whole, I think 4-4-2 could be the way to go.

Keeper
    Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson
    Hyndman Slivka Mallan Boyle
    Kamberi Maclaren

Hyndman playing less wide than Boyle and SDG taking on some of the RW responsibility.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Need to drop Gray I'm afraid.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Need to drop Gray I'm afraid.
    Go back to 442 and play him

Pretty simple play 4-3-3

Keeper

Gray
    Portous
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Hyndman
    Slivka
    Mallan

Boyle
    Kamberi
    MacLaren

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    3-5-2 has been our best formation during Lennons time and Boyle on the right has been one of the biggest successes of that formation so I think once we are at full strength we will see Boyle back out wide and gray to the bench. Seems harsh I know as Gray has been outstanding for us this year so far but there is no space for sentiment if we want to progress in Europe and fight for 2nd.
    Nailhead hit. Great option to have, Boyle runs and runs wide right til he's out on his feet and we're winning, then Gray comes on.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Go back to 442 and play him
    And change what has been a winning formation to accomodate 1 player....?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Unless we play 4-4-2, I don't see it - but we may well end up playing that in some games. It's all about being adaptable.

Not everyone can play every game, and we have superb options right throughout the squad at the moment - with more quality to come in as well.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Gray may end up playing right hand side of the back 3 and overlapping with Boyle like Hanlon does with Lewis.

I also think he's not particularly quick, but he's a powerful runner, and we'll need that in the team with Mcginn not there. He's also a leader, and a big game player. You need that at European level, and Lennon will put a lot of value in that from his own experience.

I don't think 442 works for us really.

352 and rotate as we need to. I'm not sure Gray has a 40 odd game season in him so he will need rested every so often. Boyle can play in 2 or 3 positions so will get plenty game time. Football is a squad game and the idea of a 'best team' is a bit of an old fashioned idea. Most teams change things about throughout a season or on a game to game basis and it's why depth is so important.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Three at the back has been really successful and I don’t see Lennon changing it any time soon. He certainly won’t away in Molde.

If he needs to make a tough decision to leave someone out, so be it. We can’t keep playing Boyle up front. He’ll run and run but isn’t anywhere near as effective as he is out wide.

As things stand we’re not strong enough in the middle of the park to just play with two in there IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    I think Gray has been our best player this year and has defended well while also proving to be a great attacking force both scoring and sending great balls into the box. I don't think Boyle is very effective up front and it hasn't help playing with a three quarter throttle Flo who has been a bit out of sorts. If McLaren was fit Boyle would drop out for me.

I think Lennon needs to start to rebuild and take a wider view of the squad. I was saying last night that if SJM had still been here and Daz was fit then 7 of the starters would have been Scottish Cup winners(Gray, Lewis, Hanlon, Daz, Boyle, Marv, McGinn). Lennon has certainly presided over improvements in some of those players but up until now it has been those legends that have carried the team. With SJM gone and Daz looking to struggle to play every game we will, for the first time, see how good or bad Lennon is at building a team. The squad looks unbalanced at present and we are crying out for more legs in midfield and cover in certain areas. It is going to be an interesting few weeks to see who comes in as imo we need at least 2 or 3 players of good quality to maintain our position of last year. Hyndman looks a good player but is similar to Swanson and Mallan in being more attacking than defensive. We desperately need a midfield water carrier with a bit of quality, cover for Centre Half and a left sided player(that may be Agyepong) to allow us to play a 442 and fit Boyle and Gray in. Even then it is a mall squad and we will have to be lucky with injuries, form and suspensions.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    And change what has been a winning formation to accomodate 1 player....?
    Sorry we are “accommodating” Gray?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Pretty simple play 4-3-3

Keeper

Gray
    Portous
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Hyndman
    Slivka
    Mallan

Boyle
    Kamberi
    MacLaren
    I don't think it's as simple as that, we were better last season with Barker in the side. Assuming Agpeyong is going to take that role this season then you'd think that Boyle would play one side, and Agpeyong on the other.

Not sure what fomation Lennon is going to come up with to accomodate them, considering Gray's performances have been outstanding so far this season.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I’d tuck Gray in on the right side of a back 3 beside Hanlon and McGregor and play Boyle on the right. Both are undroppable right now IMO
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Sorry we are “accommodating” Gray?
    Well, yes, in this instance we are....

In my opinion, Boyle is better at RWB than Gray so to change formation to keep Gray in the starting lineup i would call that accommodating him.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don't think it's as simple as that, we were better last season with Barker in the side. Assuming Agpeyong is going to take that role this season then you'd think that Boyle would play one side, and Agpeyong on the other.

Not sure what fomation Lennon is going to come up with to accomodate them, considering Gray's performances have been outstanding so far this season.
    And then we have the same problem with Lewis on the left.

It’s good to have a defensive 352 and an attacking one. If only we were able to have more than 3 subs per game

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I’d tuck Gray in on the right side of a back 3 beside Hanlon and McGregor and play Boyle on the right. Both are undroppable right now IMO
    Doing something like that would be us getting in to a position where we were just trying to accommodate players IMO.

Gray has been superb at wing back which is a more natural position for him. Playing as a right sided centre half is totally different and we have players more capable of playing that position than him.

We're just going to need to get to the Europa League group stages, the latter stages of the League cup and Scottish Cup so we need to use all of the permutations discussed above at different times, rather than just putting out our best team once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

4-3-3 can quickly change to 4-5-1/4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 or even the Famous 5 shape 4-1-1-4 , with these systems players can slot into left/right and middle easily, it's very adaptable.

The new way nowadays is to play very attacking wingbacks and go with 3 at the back, sometimes these wingbacks are converted wingers, unfortunately we have a very good wingback in Gray and Boyle has shown he can be very capable playing there too. When Gray plays in a back 4 with Boyle in front of him they link up very well and have a very good understanding, it also allows Boyle to concentrate on his attacking duties knowing Gray is behind him.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Doing something like that would be us getting in to a position where we were just trying to accommodate players IMO.

Gray has been superb at wing back which is a more natural position for him. Playing as a right sided centre half is totally different and we have players more capable of playing that position than him.
    You could say the same with shoehorning Boyle in as a centre forward though when playing Gray on the right
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

You could say the same with shoehorning Boyle in as a centre forward though when playing Gray on the right
    You could, and I don’t think we should do that either. As I said in another post, if Lennon needs to make a tough call and leave someone out then so be it.

Although he’s not fully fit, I think Flo also needs his mate back beside him.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Agreed. It’s an incredibly tough decision but if we’re going to continue with this shape then one of them probably needs to be benched.

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    I do think that of Lennon is after another midfielder and winger and not a centre half. He's going to go with 2 centre half and 2 wingers.

Could play 4-2-3-1

Marciano

SDG
    Eye
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Slivka
    Mallan

Boyle
    Hyndman
    Pongy

Kamberi

Again with this formation and these players it's easy interchangeable to different formations during a game

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I do think that of Lennon is after another midfielder and winger and not a centre half. He's going to go with 2 centre half and 2 wingers.

Could play 4-2-3-1

Marciano

SDG
    Eye
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Slivka
    Mallan

Boyle
    Hyndman
    Pongy

Kamberi

Again with this formation and these players it's easy interchangeable to different formations during a game
    I get what you're saying but where do you fit in MacLaren and Shaw