hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: England Semi

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, why bother even giving such an idea the time of day when we know we've no chance of getting anyone in the team? Much better just to accept ongoing failure in our own right
    Team UK spells the end of each nations individuality. Absolutely and categorically a resounding NO for me!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    They lost to a country of under 4 million who are way below them in the rankings. They massively blew it.
    Russia 145 million

Denmark 5.75 million

Nigeria 196 million

Argentina 45 million

Yet England blew it?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Aye, why bother even giving such an idea the time of day when we know we've no chance of getting anyone in the team? Much better just to accept ongoing failure in our own right
    I guess it would give all the Anti-Scottish, Scots a chance to actually support ‘their national side’.

But nah, I’ll settle for “ongoing failure” every day of the week before I cash it all in for a team that means nothing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I guess it would give all the Anti-Scottish, Scots a chance to actually support ‘their national side’.

But nah, I’ll settle for “ongoing failure” every day of the week before I cash it all in for a team that means nothing to me.
    I concur.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Oh, and btw, serious question to yourself, ODS, etc. Since you guys don't really think Scotland should be a country, wouldn't you be better throwing your lot in with a UK team? In all fairness, Scotland shouldn't really have an international football team, it's a historical quirk.
    Now, now JMS that's sophisticated trolling.

Scotland is a country. It's chosen to pool its sovereignty as a nation with the other nations of the UK. Nationalists are not the only patriots and there's no reason why we shouldn't have a Scottish national team.

Football is littered with contradictions: Cardiff City and Swansea play in the English leagues, Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish leagues, Germany were allowed three separate international teams at one stage - East Germany, West Germany and, briefly, Saarland. There are plenty more quirks and inconsistencies.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Surprised this thread is still going, so off topic now. England Semi, they are out and this thread resembles something completely different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Russia 145 million

Denmark 5.75 million

Nigeria 196 million

Argentina 45 million

Yet England blew it?
    More so them being by far the highest ranked team in their side of the knockout phase. The draw opened up like Moses parting the Red sea and they still couldn't capitalise. All their pundits had them in the final and at HT they should have been 2 or 3 up and cruising. To me they blew it.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Cannot quite believe this debate is still going. Who knew there were so many people dispassionately interested in the performance of the English national side from a purely objective perspective.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Yes, and I've said it before on here. I think a UK team (and indeed a UK league) would make sense if we are looking at the best way to achieve genuine success on the international stage. As you say, it's a quirk that FIFA would probably like to see ironed out that we even have four international teams from the UK.

I've never suggested Scotland shouldn't be a country though.
    UK football team now would probably look like England + Bale. How does that suddenly give success? Who would the manager be? An English manager who has worked in the EPL no doubt, can hardly see McLeish getting the gig. It doesn’t work and seriously would just become an England team under the pretences of being the UK team. Culturally, socially and economically all nations in these isles get it wrong. England throw money about and waste it, Scotland and Wales have a funding shortage and again waste it. Football players from all parts of the UK have had articles mention their low fitness levels, poor diet, poor work ethic, drinking habits and what not. I’m really not sure why uniting into a UK team makes it a super power tbh. Especially as it’s likely to be Gerrard as manager and 19 English, 1 Welsh and 1 Scottish in the squad. That’s just the honest truth, English team plus token Scottish and Welsh players.

Fifa iron out what? I’m sorry but where would the line be drawn on unions then? Will we have UK football team vs EU football team then? Just play one game and stop having all these pesky countries getting involved. Incidentally EU vs UK = EU win. An EU team would be something else.

The majority of England fans don’t want an UK team, majority of Scotland fans don’t want an UK team and majority Welsh fans don’t want an UK team. If it were just about winning, shorten Scottish league to 3 teams, Celtic, Rangers, and Rest of Scotland. Sorted, Celtic and Rangers will struggle then, imagine Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs plus all the other teams combined!

It waters down national identity of each individual country and would again sway in a biased fashion towards England due to population.

What saddens me is that we, in Scotland, seem to consider the UK team as a means to win something. That’s worrying as that’s sacrificing the advancement of your own game just for some glory hunting (let’s be honest, at the very most only 1 Scottish player would be selected in that squad).My concern is if Scotland did well in a competition and England were already knocked out, I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be such large swathes in England suggesting doing away with their own National team, pretty sure they’d be calling for sackings...I fear for the national identity of Scotland tbh, protecting the identity of your country shouldn’t be perceived as nationalism and in such a negative way. We all deserve our own football teams or football is dead in my eyes.

This is so far off topic, England are out and it’ll be a very sad day when each distinct country cannot have their own national football team. McGinn would have 0 UK national caps under this suggested model, Scotland would get minimal additional funding when you consider the landmass, 3rd of the landmass of the UK and simply does not get the funding to give the 5million people the chance to excel at sport, we’ve got shocking facilities for public use. Shocking. UK team doesn’t solve that, if anything it’s worsen it. Areas of high population density would get the most funding, more pitches and facilities created etc. I’m sure London has quite a few gyms, sport centres and the like...maybe not. Doubt creating facilities in the remote corners of Scotland would be top priority for a UK national team, aim wouldn’t be to find the next Messi in the Highlands.

Rant over. This thread needs closed as it doesn’t link to original title anymore!
    Last edited by madhatter; 13-07-2018 at 11:02 PM.

That's an especially 'anyone but England' take on it. In reality, they qualified from their group with a game to spare, fielded a shadow side against Belgium, won a high-pressure penalty shoot out that their more experienced predecessors would most likely have lost, turned in an impressively mature display against Sweden and came within 20 minutes of reaching the World Cup final against a stronger Croatia side. You can only beat what's in front of you and I imagine all these 'mediocre' teams they beat sit comfortably above Scotland in the world rankings. We're in no position to pass judgement and it would take a particularly mean-spirited Scot to deny that for such a young squad, from whom so little was expected, to reach the World Cup semi-finals was a fine achievement. The fact that the English media, so often quick to hang, draw and quarter an England side which falls short at a major tournament, have instead lauded their achievements underlines what a feelgood factor they have returned to English international football. When was the last time anyone could say that about our international team?
    I read your post twice, only to maybe give you the benefit. Time and again you bring our nation down, twat
    I've called you out before, as have others.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    I read your post twice, only to maybe give you the benefit. Time and again you bring our nation down, twat
    Read it 4 times and still don't see what you see.

@hibs.net private member
    That's a tired old argument. Yes, the perception of our league as being a one-horse diddy competition doesn't help (which is why I would advocate a UK league) but for the first time in a while there are a sprinkling of Scots doing well towards the upper reaches of English football so I don't think we can dismiss our chances of being able to contribute to a UK team so readily. We'd have had a few in the 2012 Team GB squad had the SFA not been so Luddite in their approach.

your "UK team" argument seems to be bigger is better? How about people just want to support their nation at football, regardless of wether they will end up winning anything? The league equivalent of your argument would be to create an "Edinburgh" team from Hibs & Hearts as it may be more successful..Would you recommend this too?

Left by mutual consent!
    A UK team would at least give me another sport to be ABUK.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    your "UK team" argument seems to be bigger is better? How about people just want to support their nation at football, regardless of wether they will end up winning anything? The league equivalent of your argument would be to create an "Edinburgh" team from Hibs & Hearts as it may be more successful..Would you recommend this too?
    Probably not just about football in this instance I would suspect.

Let's just knock this UK team nonsense on the head right now. Leave that garbage to the arch-unionists over at Ibrox.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Probably not just about football in this instance I would suspect.
    Definitely a whiff of something else

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Read it 4 times and still don't see what you see.
    If you’ve ever ready any of his other posts you wouldn’t need to read this one once to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    UK football team now would probably look like England + Bale. How does that suddenly give success? Who would the manager be? An English manager who has worked in the EPL no doubt, can hardly see McLeish getting the gig. It doesn’t work and seriously would just become an England team under the pretences of being the UK team. Culturally, socially and economically all nations in these isles get it wrong. England throw money about and waste it, Scotland and Wales have a funding shortage and again waste it. Football players from all parts of the UK have had articles mention their low fitness levels, poor diet, poor work ethic, drinking habits and what not. I’m really not sure why uniting into a UK team makes it a super power tbh. Especially as it’s likely to be Gerrard as manager and 19 English, 1 Welsh and 1 Scottish in the squad. That’s just the honest truth, English team plus token Scottish and Welsh players.

Fifa iron out what? I’m sorry but where would the line be drawn on unions then? Will we have UK football team vs EU football team then? Just play one game and stop having all these pesky countries getting involved. Incidentally EU vs UK = EU win. An EU team would be something else.

The majority of England fans don’t want an UK team, majority of Scotland fans don’t want an UK team and majority Welsh fans don’t want an UK team. If it were just about winning, shorten Scottish league to 3 teams, Celtic, Rangers, and Rest of Scotland. Sorted, Celtic and Rangers will struggle then, imagine Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs plus all the other teams combined!

It waters down national identity of each individual country and would again sway in a biased fashion towards England due to population.

What saddens me is that we, in Scotland, seem to consider the UK team as a means to win something. That’s worrying as that’s sacrificing the advancement of your own game just for some glory hunting (let’s be honest, at the very most only 1 Scottish player would be selected in that squad).My concern is if Scotland did well in a competition and England were already knocked out, I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be such large swathes in England suggesting doing away with their own National team, pretty sure they’d be calling for sackings...I fear for the national identity of Scotland tbh, protecting the identity of your country shouldn’t be perceived as nationalism and in such a negative way. We all deserve our own football teams or football is dead in my eyes.

This is so far off topic, England are out and it’ll be a very sad day when each distinct country cannot have their own national football team. McGinn would have 0 UK national caps under this suggested model, Scotland would get minimal additional funding when you consider the landmass, 3rd of the landmass of the UK and simply does not get the funding to give the 5million people the chance to excel at sport, we’ve got shocking facilities for public use. Shocking. UK team doesn’t solve that, if anything it’s worsen it. Areas of high population density would get the most funding, more pitches and facilities created etc. I’m sure London has quite a few gyms, sport centres and the like...maybe not. Doubt creating facilities in the remote corners of Scotland would be top priority for a UK national team, aim wouldn’t be to find the next Messi in the Highlands.

Rant over. This thread needs closed as it doesn’t link to original title anymore!
    Haha no bother - you write 7 paragraphs covering everything and then demand the thread is closed. You even took a break to point out how far off topic the thread (and you) were.. then continued off topic.

Left by mutual consent!
    To maybe give me the benefit of what?

Being critical of Scotland's pitiful failure to qualify for a major tournament this century isn't 'bringing our nation down'. Nor does it make me, IMHO, a t***. It's just an uncomfortable and depressing truth.

Left by mutual consent!
    Norway last got to the World Cup in 98 also.

Would you find any Norwegian calling for a Scandinavian team so they could take pride in the success of Sweden?

Would you ****, but then they appear to have a bucket load of self respect and a clear lack of cringe factor which is the opposite situation to Scotland.

Big day for England. 4th place coming home

To maybe give me the benefit of what?

Being critical of Scotland's pitiful failure to qualify for a major tournament this century isn't 'bringing our nation down'. Nor does it make me, IMHO, a t***. It's just an uncomfortable and depressing truth.
    So uncomfortable and depressing that you enjoy bringing it up in almost every post concerning a national side. And if it’s not national football related, you’ll find a problem with Scotland some other way.. but then why am I telling you that when you know better than anyone.

Anyway, back on to the (off) topic. No need for a uk side whatsoever.. perfectly happy for you to support England and carry on revelling in Scotland’s “ongoing failure”.. I don’t understand it but it’s your choice.

But there’s no need to want the rest of us to stop having the chance to support our country.

Left by mutual consent!

Fair enough. As I've said when this has been previously debated on here I don't for a minute think a UK team would ever happen unless FIFA forced the issue. It's simply my contention that if international success is what we aspire to then that would more likely be achieved by pooling resources. A UK league would, IMHO, be a way of giving Scottish players a wider window to showcase and develop their talents and ultimately provide meaningful input to the team. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with getting behind such a team in the way most of us get behind the GB Olympic team (and for those interested in rugby, the British Lions) but I'm under no illusions it will ever wash with the majority of Scottish football fans. It's only my viewpoint, I'm not demanding that you agree with it.

UK team idea is such a cop-out. Let's try and fix the problems we have with developing decent players rather than sweep it under the rug.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It's wrong to insult someone because you don't like their opinion.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Fair enough. As I've said when this has been previously debated on here I don't for a minute think a UK team would ever happen unless FIFA forced the issue. It's simply my contention that if international success is what we aspire to then that would more likely be achieved by pooling resources. A UK league would, IMHO, be a way of giving Scottish players a wider window to showcase and develop their talents and ultimately provide meaningful input to the team. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with getting behind such a team in the way most of us get behind the GB Olympic team (and for those interested in rugby, the British Lions) but I'm under no illusions it will ever wash with the majority of Scottish football fans. It's only my viewpoint, I'm not demanding that you agree with it.
    I, like many who regularly attend Scotland games, long for my team to be more successful. A team GB wouldn’t be my team and I wouldn’t care less how successful they were, and international football would mean nothing to me without Scotland.

I can just see thousands of Scotland fans, kilted up, belting out the proclaimers and “we’ll be coming” to get to the ground and observe god save the Queen before getting right behind an England team under the guise of team GB.

I’m not saying you’re demanding I agree with it. But the notion that it’s a fix for our long for success is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    UK team idea is such a cop-out. Let's try and fix the problems we have with developing decent players rather than sweep it under the rug.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    You were replying to that particular post with an agenda from previous posts?
    If you mean to stoneyburn hibs’ post where he made reference to previous posts.. then of course I was taking them into account.

I suspect, however, you’ve made a mistake and thought it was me that made stoneyburn’s post.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Haha no bother - you write 7 paragraphs covering everything and then demand the thread is closed. You even took a break to point out how far off topic the thread (and you) were.. then continued off topic.
    Demand the thread is closed? I said "needs", not "it must". Funny how people always jump to the worst conclusions from written text. This thread is way of topic, I honestly think all this UK based team stuff should be put on a new thread entitled something like that, "England Semi" and what this thread is now discussing is way off.

This thread started of with:

"An English work friend of mine has 2 tickets for the semi final on Wednesday when England play Croatia. He paid £300 each including flights but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding! If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at Croydon Registry Office, at 4pm. The bride's name is Nicola -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, and is a really good cook. PM me for more details."

I have my opinions on the matter of UK team and so do others, I've shared mine here (in the 7 paragraphs you mention) because it was in response to a post on this thread, doesn't change the fact I think this isn't the thread for it though.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Demand the thread is closed? I said "needs", not "it must". Funny how people always jump to the worst conclusions from written text. This thread is way of topic, I honestly think all this UK based team stuff should be put on a new thread entitled something like that, "England Semi" and what this thread is now discussing is way off.

This thread started of with:

"An English work friend of mine has 2 tickets for the semi final on Wednesday when England play Croatia. He paid £300 each including flights but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding! If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at Croydon Registry Office, at 4pm. The bride's name is Nicola -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, and is a really good cook. PM me for more details."

I have my opinions on the matter of UK team and so do others, I've shared mine here (in the 7 paragraphs you mention) because it was in response to a post on this thread, doesn't change the fact I think this isn't the thread for it though.
    So did you PM the OP?

How good is Nicola in the kitchen?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk