hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: England Semi

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it, aye?

Lets just stick to the topic in hand and leave the personal stuff out. It would be ever so nice if you could.

Both posts meant pretty much the same thing.

Didn't see any personal stuff at all in his post?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Col_0762's Avatar
    No need.
    Well I was talking about a football rivalry, that doesn’t exist in your eyes. You then went down a completely different path, so I’m out. Polictics and football is a messy subject so you crack on.

Testimonial Due
    I remember years ago, Kenny Macaskill said that it will be a sign of the growing maturity and confidence of Scotland when we could wish England well at sport - he got pilloried for it from all sides.

Now it seems to have gone full circle and everyone wants to see England do well.

Personally, I don't hate the England team, but I will have a good laugh if they go out and I don't want them to win. That's fitba and national rivalry for you.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Of course following Scotland is a way of life, we're Scottish. Nobody I know follows their team because they are successful. If we did we'd have given up watching Hibs many years ago.
    As I suggested earlier, I don't think you can compare following Hibs with following Scotland, or Scotland's 'rivalry' with England with Hibs' rivalry with Hearts. To say Hibs haven't been successful is wrong IMHO. We may not have won as many trophies as we should have but our record in cup competitions this century is actually pretty impressive. If you look at back over that stats, we've been competing at the business end on a regular basis. Scotland on the other hand haven't so much as qualified to compete in a major tournament this century. That's why I've come to think those fans who continue to follow them away must get something out of the trips that is about more than the football. As somebody else mentioned, Scotland away games have for a long time been more about the ubiquitous pics of the tartan army (either adding colour to a city plaza or sitting looking crestfallen at the end of yet another fruitless 90 minutes) than they have about anything the Scotland team achieves on the park. HIbs' rivalry with Hearts is a daily issue for those who live and work in Edinburgh. That's enough to be going on with, rather than fretting for no real reason about what England might or might not be achieving in a tournament Scotland aren't even part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Col_0762 View Post
    Involve competition like them snatching a draw against us in the last campaign?

I follow Scotland away. Have done since I was roughly 16/17. None of my group wear a glengarry with a feather in it. Neither do about 80% of the travelling support. The wider Scotland support who travel away now has definately changed over the last 10 years or so, from the idea of getting away for a jolly to more real football supporters, who are genuinely gutted when we lose and desperate to qualify for a tournament. To generalise us all as you have done is utter pish. I spend a fortune following Scotland (on top of every Hibs game home and away) and why? I love football, I love Scotland, I love being away supporting my country. Added bonus is going to loads of countries I would otherwise never dream of going to. Like with Hibs, I’ve also made lots of friends following them as well.

See the years when we (Hibs) were constantly ***** and Hearts lording it over us, were we no longer their rivals?

England fans who follow England dislike us as much as we dislike them. Ever been to Wembley lately for a game v Them? We were treated to verbals etc. like every football fan is when you play a rival. Also pelted with bevvy and the rest at half time down the stairs. Both sides going at it. Giving it laldy to us in the pubs before and after. This was the same at the friendly down there before the qualifier. I’m sure it would be the same for them up here. Part and parcel of a football rivalry.

Also, they sing as much about us as we do about them, which isn’t actually very much. At games v eachother, yes, quite a bit. Against other teams, nah, except the old cheer up when either of us are getting beat or been beat.

The anyone but England is part of a football rivalry. Like ours with the ****bos. It’s intensified up here due to the media ramming everything down our throats. However, the mute button for the TV and not reading a national rag solves that issue. Not sure why it’s so hard for people to understand how a rivalry works. It will never go away.
    Pish. I love England. Tenner at 16s to win the World Cup. Come on the lads.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Pish. I love England. Tenner at 16s to win the World Cup. Come on the lads.
    You also wear Hearts shirts in your local though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Most Scottish football fans have been subject to derision and experienced an overall contempt from English football fans (and media) when it comes to Scottish football and it's standard , despite most of them not having much ,if any, knowledge of the game up here.

It's hardly surprising that the same Scottish fans would would want to see the English national team lose.
    See it from the English, indeed any other countries point of view: Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers.....repeat ad nauseum

Not a single club outwith these two has won the league championship in over 3 decades.
    Imagine Man U winning 9 league championships on the trot?
    It's understandable that they view Scottish football as a "duopoly" with no serious competition beyond these stone-age rivals.

Why focus on wanting the England national team to lose? Why not every nation that similarly looks down at Scottish football? The Germans? The Argentineans? The Dutch? The Spanish? The French?
    The reasons lie beyond mere football and have been touched upon in this thread.

You also wear Hearts shirts in your local though lol.
    If England win the night it Winnie be a semi it will be a full blown hardon. Might even consider wearing the 3 lions in ma local. Send yi a picture.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I have huge respect for Gareth Southgate and enjoying their young hard grafting team.

I’ll be watching it tonight with two English mates and cheering on England.

Blog Entries
    Oh the media are going way over the top which although it's predictable still puts me off the team. Come on Croatia!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    If you genuinely believe that Scotland was built on the hatred of England then fair enough. I'll bail out and let you continue on your crusade.
    Where did I say that?

Where did I say that?
    His quote showed you'd said that. Before you then went back and edited it of course. Can only imagine you did that as you realised you were talking p1sh again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    His quote showed you'd said that. Before you then went back and edited it of course. Can only imagine you did that as you realised you were talking p1sh again.
    Sorry, who are you?

[Edit]

Here's the original post.

My country is built on hatred of another nation?

That's a question, not a statement.

Really no need to be offensive now, is there?
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 11-07-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Sorry, who are you?

[Edit]

Here's the original post.

My country is built on hatred of another nation?

That's a question, not a statement.

Really no need to be offensive now, is there?
    You were the one calling people who follow Scotland all over the world alcoholics, tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    See it from the English, indeed any other countries point of view: Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers.....repeat ad nauseum

Not a single club outwith these two has won the league championship in over 3 decades.
    Imagine Man U winning 9 league championships on the trot?
    It's understandable that they view Scottish football as a "duopoly" with no serious competition beyond these stone-age rivals.

Why focus on wanting the England national team to lose? Why not every nation that similarly looks down at Scottish football? The Germans? The Argentineans? The Dutch? The Spanish? The French?
    The reasons lie beyond mere football and have been touched upon in this thread.
    You seem to be on your own personal crusade for support of the England team and disrespecting Scottish football, one wonders why, on this forum. As an experiment to your theory that its only Scots who dont like the English, post something positive about Scottish football on the BBC Football page on FB, even funnier, post something negative about England

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    You were the one calling people who follow Scotland all over the world alcoholics, tbf.
    Tbf, I stand by that, but I didn't say my country was built on hatred. I was asking you, or somebody else, the question.
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 11-07-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Tbf, I stand by that, but I didn't say my country was built on hatred. I was asking you, or somebody else, the question.
    You stand by everyone who follows Scotland abroad being alcoholics? Priceless.

Left by mutual consent!
    You stand by everyone who follows Scotland abroad being alcoholics? Priceless.
    Yes, isn't awful when people are judgemental?

Edit: and judge large groups of people based on their own personal prejudices. Some might call it rivalry, but they'd be in a minority, IMHO.

Yes, isn't awful when people are judgemental?

Edit: and judge large groups of people based on their own personal prejudices. Some might call it rivalry, but they'd be in a minority, IMHO.
    You must be great company at a football match. Though judging by your thoughts on football rivalry, I don’t think you’ve ever attended one.

Left by mutual consent!
    You must be great company at a football match. Though judging by your thoughts on football rivalry, I don’t think you’ve ever attended one.
    I dare say, I could say the same thing to you, but that would be getting personal, wouldn't it?

Are we done here?

I dare say, I could say the same thing to you, but that would be getting personal, wouldn't it?

Are we done here?
    We’re definately done here haha.

Poor Chic, taking every reply to him as a personal attack. Must be a tough life being that fragile.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    Poor Chic, taking every reply to him as a personal attack. Must be a tough life being that fragile.
    I can commit, if you can.

Ach...I dont see a problem with people wanting England to lose. When it comes to sport, every small country in the world has a sizeable chip on the shoulder against the larger neighbours. Portugal/ Spain, NZ/ Australia etc

I dont want them to win, but really dont have much vitriol for them. Gareth Southgate is quote a likeable chap- humble, understated, bookish - everything you DONT associate with the England football team.

I think a lot of the anti-english nonsense is driven by jealousy. It's been 20 years since we were anywhere near a world cup and if it were Scotland making the latter stages, we'd well and truly be lapping it up and enjoying the ride. Mind when Scotland played Brazil on the first day of France 98? It was like Christmas day !!!

So fair play to them. I hope they have a good time but dont win the world cup.

Cheers

I can commit, if you can.
    commit to what?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    commit to what?

Sorry, just a bit of hetero banter there, old mucker. I thought that's what you were after when you called me fragile.

I reckon this is where we get off.

People follow the Scotland national team because they are Scottish, theres no need to over complicate it. I've never wore a kilt, I've never wore a hat with a feather in it, been to some great places following my nation though.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 11-07-2018 at 12:56 PM.

If Hearts are contesting a Semi Final, do I want them to lose? Yes

Do I want England to lose tonight's Semi Final? Yes.

Does that make me a bitter and twisted football fan? Probably

Finally, do I give a jot if that annoys anybody? I think you can guess the answer to that one

Sorry, just a bit of hetero banter there, old mucker. I thought that's what you were after when you called me fragile.

I reckon this is where we get off.
    Get off if you wish, I'm happy where I am.

A question for you. Why do you and your fellow England fans care who any non-English person supports?

If it was roles revered I wouldn't care less if anyone outside of Scotland wasn't supporting us or actively wanting us to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    If Hearts are contesting a Semi Final, do I want them to lose? Yes

Do I want England to lose tonight's Semi Final? Yes.

Does that make me a bitter and twisted football fan? Probably

Finally, do I give a jot if that annoys anybody? I think you can guess the answer to that one
    I think you do care and would show it be responding to criticism