hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went and it was pretty boring to be honest. I much prefer the old type of testimonials with guest players, dodgy ref decisions in favour of the recipient player and the obligatory penalty given so he could score in his testimonial. This was hardly a testimonial in the spirit of days gone by, more a pre season friendly billed as one. They used to be fun.
    FIFA and/or the Tax Man in their wisdom have decided that Testimonial games have to be played under FIFA rules. Therefore no sham penalties, ex-players etc.

What I can't understand about Sunday was the vast majority of those that went didn't stay to show their appreciation for PH at the end. The numbers that were there when he went round the pitch was an embarrassment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I had hoped for a higher attendance at Paul's testimonial but I'm sure, being the kind of guy he is, he would be appreciative of those who did turn up.
    By the time the proceeds from other testimonial events have been added, hopefully Paul will receive a sizeable cheque and will be able to present significant amounts to his chosen charities.
    As some other posters have already mentioned, it was disappointing to see so few remain for the 10 minutes or so to watch Paul's lap of honour.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
    FIFA and/or the Tax Man in their wisdom have decided that Testimonial games have to be played under FIFA rules. Therefore no sham penalties, ex-players etc.

What I can't understand about Sunday was the vast majority of those that went didn't stay to show their appreciation for PH at the end. The numbers that were there when he went round the pitch was an embarrassment.
    Terrible friendly played at a slow pace with little entertainment might be why people left. Either that or people uncomfortable getting burnt in the sun or had kids that were uncomfortable and wanted to leave. Whole number of reasons why people may have left.

Testimonials are actually a little cheeky these days - £20 to watch a dull match with no novelty or comedic value. Again I think this was calculated as the best route to maximise money raised from the numbers expected to turn up to a dull friendly (“testimonial”). I’ve got no issue with people leaving early or not turning up. This was a dull friendly labelled as a testimonial.

Testimonials should be to thank the fans as well through something fun to entice them to turn up and put money forward.

If it were played at the end of the season, you could have fans paying to play on the pitch with their heroes, some current and old Hibs players can make up the coaching teams of a few teams in a competition and Paul could play up front for his team and have the number 10. Could have some stuff scripted and have something entertaining more than just the football. Invite fans (again a fee to get opportunity) on to the pitch at half time to try to recreate Hanlons goal against Hearts and the celebrations, plus have actual Hibs players rating it out of 10.

Some silly ideas I know but point being people will happily pay more to meet and mingle with their heroes. Fans will happily turn up in more numbers to see friends, family and random people make an idiot out of themselves on the field. A boring friendly entices very few.

I was working on Sunday.
    I've been working for the last 45 years.
    No one's ever given me anything.
    Would have went if there was something worth watching and got some time off, but really couldn't be arsed.

Interesting thread
    I am with the comments from Madhatter.
    His comments led me to respond.

Just to make a point... which i know is close to me.

Jimmy O'Rourke did not get a testimonial

Maybe he was not a good enough servant to the club ;-)
    During the Tornadoes era....
    Players basic wages were not much more than a tradesmen on a buildng site would get

I was earning more labouring to brickies and joiners.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 09-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wasn't interesting enough for me so I couldn't be bothered going

Celtic and the likes are great at testimonial games and you get a decent laugh with some old pros.

Ian Murray had some good names as well.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    I was working on Sunday.
    I've been working for the last 45 years.
    No one's ever given me anything.
    Would have went if there was something worth watching and got some time off, but really couldn't be arsed.
    If you didn't want to go for whatever reason fair enough, but I think it's poor that people are coming on here to make a virtue of not going. Hanlon deserves better than that.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    If you didn't want to go for whatever reason fair enough, but I think it's poor that people are coming on here to make a virtue of not going. Hanlon deserves better than that.
    Why does he deserve better than what he got? Don’t understand that argument, we’ve had great servants to the club that got no testimonials. Hanlon deserves to get paid by Hibs for his service. Anything he gets above and beyond that is a bonus.

I’m coming up to my tenth year in the same job at the same company, can’t wait for my testimonial. It’ll be epic. I suspect I’ll get at least 15k in attendance all paying £20 a head, easy. I’m super popular and a hard worker, very professional.

People came on here to justify the position of why they didn’t go because people have come on here to query what everyone’s excuses and alibis were for not turning up.

Funny how heroes on a football pitch get testimonials and thousands of fans applauding them. Do nurses or doctors get 10 year testimonials where that many turn up? Which one of these are more heroic? “Deserve” should not be a word used in this debate.

I didnt go.

I had missed the fact it was a testimonial and took it as a pre season friendly. That said in years gone by such games (PSF or testimonial) had some attraction. Ive seen us play Man U for example and when I last remember Blackburn they had sutton and shearer.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Its also poor those coming on here saying people are not Hibs fans for not going, I didn't go and my excuse in on this thread somewhere. Sue me.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm not 100% sure, but i think the last testimonial i went to was Pat Stantons?

I personally think players these days earn more than enough, and don't deserve handouts from people who probably earn much less than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Its also poor those coming on here saying people are not Hibs fans for not going, I didn't go and my excuse in on this thread somewhere. Sue me.
    No one said people arent Hibs fans for not going. Stop being a drama queen. It was still disappointing that there wasnt more there and it was also pretty embarrassing that the place emptied before his lap of honour.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Why does he deserve better than what he got? Don’t understand that argument, we’ve had great servants to the club that got no testimonials. Hanlon deserves to get paid by Hibs for his service. Anything he gets above and beyond that is a bonus.

I’m coming up to my tenth year in the same job at the same company, can’t wait for my testimonial. It’ll be epic. I suspect I’ll get at least 15k in attendance all paying £20 a head, easy. I’m super popular and a hard worker, very professional.

People came on here to justify the position of why they didn’t go because people have come on here to query what everyone’s excuses and alibis were for not turning up.

Funny how heroes on a football pitch get testimonials and thousands of fans applauding them. Do nurses or doctors get 10 year testimonials where that many turn up? Which one of these are more heroic? “Deserve” should not be a word used in this debate.
    I don't mind that people didn't go, I understand that, some will have the same view as you. I don't understand however why fans would make a point of coming onto a fans site and say I couldn't be bothered going. You may have felt like that but why come on and say. Do you think players don't read the posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Interesting thread
    I am with the comments from Madhatter.
    His comments led me to respond.

Just to make a point... which i know is close to me.

Jimmy O'Rourke did not get a testimonial

Maybe he was not a good enough servant to the club ;-)
    During the Tornadoes era....
    Players basic wages were not much more than a tradesmen on a buildng site would get

I was earning more labouring to brickies and joiners.

It's a shame legends like Jimmy & Pat Stanton never got paid the wages that their talent deserved. Unfortunately, they played in the wrong era wages wise. That said until the day I die Jimmy & Pat will remain my heroes.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    I don't mind that people didn't go, I understand that, some will have the same view as you. I don't understand however why fans would make a point of coming onto a fans site and say I couldn't be bothered going. You may have felt like that but why come on and say. Do you think players don't read the posts?
    Being entirely honest, I couldn't care less if players read my posts.

We've had fans suggest that anybody who couldn't be bothered or had other plans as needing to have a word with themselves. Financial seems to be the only viable reason for not turning up. I take exception to people telling me what I should do with my spare time, as I'm sure you do. As I'm sure the Hibs players who are reading this do...

That is precisely the reason why I posted my reasons as I'm sure others decided to do the same. We've had people say they've spent time with their kids instead, will those Hibs players reading that take offence? This is getting a wee bit ridiculous, we need to consider if players will read our posts about our non-attendance just in case they get upset. Yet we have threads discussing what McGinn thinks and feels about a Celtic move, we've got debates about Allan's diabetes and Lennon's bouts with depression.

I'm sure Paul is coming on to Hibs.net to see why he had so few fans turn up to his testimonial. Hi Paul, see you on Thursday at ER mate

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    No one said people arent Hibs fans for not going. Stop being a drama queen. It was still disappointing that there wasnt more there and it was also pretty embarrassing that the place emptied before his lap of honour.
    What was implied in these posts on the other thread then:

"There's some tosh getting trotted out on here from folk trying to justify to themselves why they are too tight to pay £20 for such a deserving cause." Cheapskates?

"10000 people either working on holiday, skint. Most of them begging for hearts tickets in a few months." Big game/good time fans?

"I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there." A lesser fan because they couldn't be bothered?

Also, just for clarification, you probably shouldn't say "Stop being a drama queen" after you've had a wee melodramatic turn yourself over tiny issue of some people not turning up to an event you wish they had...

I could not be bothered going, if you have a problem with that I don't particularly care. Many fans didn't go to ER when things were really bad 4-5 years ago, have we tracked these individuals down and punished them for such despicable crimes?

People may have left early for a variety of reasons. Some people might have felt ill in the heat, some may have had kids with them, some may have felt like getting away from the gulls. Hanlon was paid to be there, he's employed by Hibs. Fans pay to go along, this critiquing what fans do is getting a wee bit silly. I leave as soon as final whistle goes after most games, I've got an hour drive minimum...I know, I'm a disgrace to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    What was implied in these posts on the other thread then:

"There's some tosh getting trotted out on here from folk trying to justify to themselves why they are too tight to pay £20 for such a deserving cause." Cheapskates?

"10000 people either working on holiday, skint. Most of them begging for hearts tickets in a few months." Big game/good time fans?

"I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there." A lesser fan because they couldn't be bothered?

Also, just for clarification, you probably shouldn't say "Stop being a drama queen" after you've had a wee melodramatic turn yourself over tiny issue of some people not turning up to an event you wish they had...

I could not be bothered going, if you have a problem with that I don't particularly care. Many fans didn't go to ER when things were really bad 4-5 years ago, have we tracked these individuals down and punished them for such despicable crimes?

People may have left early for a variety of reasons. Some people might have felt ill in the heat, some may have had kids with them, some may have felt like getting away from the gulls. Hanlon was paid to be there, he's employed by Hibs. Fans pay to go along, this critiquing what fans do is getting a wee bit silly. I leave as soon as final whistle goes after most games, I've got an hour drive minimum...I know, I'm a disgrace to the club.
    The first quote isn’t me just to be clear. And prob its best not to imply and just read what people actually say. Plenty on hear saying he doesn’t deserve the testimonial. Each to their own but you don’t get one team men very often in football now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but i think the last testimonial i went to was Pat Stantons?

I personally think players these days earn more than enough, and don't deserve handouts from people who probably earn much less than they do.
    The first testimonial I went to was Arthur Duncan's, against a 'World XI'. Despite rumours Pele was turning up (I'm sure that was the story anyway!), Joe Baker putting in a cameo, and Arthur being the last of the Tornadoes still at the club, my recollection is of a poor turnout.

Gordon Rae, on the other hand, got a crowd of 17000 (huge queues for the cowshed, by the time I got in Torto had already been sent off for flattening wee Strachan); Hibs were top of the league, on a great run, and Fergie brought a full strength Man Utd team up the road. Big Gordon was very popular too, but had the match taken place in the first 2 weeks of the school hols against a side just promoted from the 3rd tier in England I doubt he'd have got more than 6500 either.

I always laugh that people will spend ages on long winded multi posts to explain and get angry aound why they don't go and leave early.
    No time to see a game out, but loads of time to post on hibs net.
    Just an observation and I'm not getting into the debate as been stung too often on the leaving early threads. 😊

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    The first testimonial I went to was Arthur Duncan's, against a 'World XI'. Despite rumours Pele was turning up (I'm sure that was the story anyway!), Joe Baker putting in a cameo, and Arthur being the last of the Tornadoes still at the club, my recollection is of a poor turnout.

Gordon Rae, on the other hand, got a crowd of 17000 (huge queues for the cowshed, by the time I got in Torto had already been sent off for flattening wee Strachan); Hibs were top of the league, on a great run, and Fergie brought a full strength Man Utd team up the road. Big Gordon was very popular too, but had the match taken place in the first 2 weeks of the school hols against a side just promoted from the 3rd tier in England I doubt he'd have got more than 6500 either.
    I was also at Gordon Rae's, for some reason i thought that was just a friendly. As i originally said, players today earn in my opinion more than enough, especially at Hibs.

Duncan and Rae played for us when the wages were not as good as now, and i can see why testimonials were given then.

Hanlon has given us terrific service, and i hope he has plenty more seasons at Hibs.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The first quote isn’t me just to be clear. And prob its best not to imply and just read what people actually say. Plenty on hear saying he doesn’t deserve the testimonial. Each to their own but you don’t get one team men very often in football now.
    You are reading into what people are typing and saying "Stop being a drama queen"...I knew the first quote wasn't you but it was put on this forum and proved that people were putting rather poor comments about those that didn't turn up.

He played for St Johnstone, not technically a one team man. "Deserve" is a poor word to choose, football players are not some noble servants to clubs. Hanlon has done well by Hibs, no doubt, but so have the club to him, he is well paid by commoners standards. I have paid for my ST for many years, many more who are wiser and older than me have paid much more through the years. When do fans "deserve" a testimonial?

In the past when football players were paid worse or similar to "standard" jobs, then testimonials made sense, these guys won't have necessarily been well educated and needed something to tide them over before finding work outwith. Nowadays, even players at Hibs, if they are smart with their money they'd have a comfortable living working part-time (flexi-time) after retiring from football at 35. Does Messi "deserve" a testimonial?

Edit - I know portion of money went to charity, no problem with that. People donated so people could go and money still went to good cause.
    Last edited by madhatter; 09-07-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I was also at Gordon Rae's, for some reason i thought that was just a friendly. As i originally said, players today earn in my opinion more than enough, especially at Hibs.

Duncan and Rae played for us when the wages were not as good as now, and i can see why testimonials were given then.

Hanlon has given us terrific service, and i hope he has plenty more seasons at Hibs.
    I agree that players are paid more than enough these days (even at Hibs relatively modest level), although I do like the modern trend for a reasonably substantial percentage of the testimonial takings to be donated to charity. I'd imagine sensible lads like Lewis & PH will have managed their money properly, and both should continue in football after their playing careers are over. I'd also think they're intelligent enough to understand why they didn't get huge attendances at their testimonial games.

This was essentially a friendly dressed up as a testimonial with none of the factors that used to attract fans to testimonials for the likes of Pat Stanton, Gordon Rae or Jackie Mac ie attractive opposition that also brought a support, former players reappearing and guest players. They are key reasons why those testimonials attracted good crowds

Well done to those who attended but totally understand why so many didn't attend. Leaving aside financial implications and time of the year, it also just didn't appeal to a lot of people I know.

I understand from a previous post that former players / guest players can't now take part in testimonials due to FIFA / tax law which I didn't know before and because top clubs are now outwith our reach to bring to ER, looks like the days of the old style testimonial are over.
    Last edited by Brizo; 10-07-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post
    While I understand the time of year, a European tie coming up, the fact we have shown massive support since winning the cup and achieving promotion we can't muster 7k for a local Hibs legend. Shame on us. Any long standing posters welcome to have a go I will fund you with my credentials and yes I was there.

Good for you. I don't need to justify to anyone why I didn't attend. So ram it.

In no way am I trying to make a virtue of this - I gave my reasons as others seemed to be telling me I'm a disgrace/not a true fan etc etc. If I met Paul I'd wish him all the best as I think he's a great player but it wouldn't bother me (or I suspect him) to let him know I couldn't be arsed going to a game.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I agree. People seem to be boasting about not going now. I couldn’t really care less who went and who didn’t. I didn’t go as I’m away on holiday, if I’d been home I’d have went. Hanlon does deserve better than being told people didn’t go because they couldn’t be bothered. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I agree. People seem to be boasting about not going now. I couldn’t really care less who went and who didn’t. I didn’t go as I’m away on holiday, if I’d been home I’d have went. Hanlon does deserve better than being told people didn’t go because they couldn’t be bothered. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing.
    Is that not a direct result of the posters who seem to have a bizarre interest in telling people what they should and shouldn’t do with their time and money in order to be classed a genuine Hibs fan.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Is that not a direct result of the posters who seem to have a bizarre interest in telling people what they should and shouldn’t do with their time and money in order to be classed a genuine Hibs fan.

There was definitely a hint of "I'm better than you because I went to a friendly dressed as testimonial but it was really a kick about at Easter Rd" stuff going on.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 10-07-2018 at 03:59 PM.

I dont see the need for testimonials in this era. Hanlon is a legend yes but he's also a very well paid footballer. Supporting the team week in week out for years while Paul has been involved is tribute enough for lots of us who earn a modest wage in comparison and i personally don't feel i need to pay 20 quid for a friendly against Blackburn Rovers to show my appreciation. I'll applaud him on Thursday as normal. Great servant and Hibs man to boot but i pay good money to watch Hibs, pay into HSL and spend a fair amount in the shop every season so that's my limit and im happy with that.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Boasting about not going? Not sure how boasting is being detected.

Boasting would resemble - I missed the game because I was collecting the Aston Martin from the garage, picking up the super model wife, popping into The Witchery for some lunch and bought one of the most expensive bottles on offer...and so on.

Saying I couldn't be bothered or I couldn't justify going is not boasting. Saying I was there and questioning why others weren't there is closer to boasting. Don't think anybody put up why they couldn't make it in fine detail until people questioned rather rudely why people didn't go...

"Deserve" is a horrible word to use in this context. Paul Hanlon deserves his wage from Hibs, he does not deserve adulation or anything else. That is a bonus of the job he has managed to secure, a dream job for many. Heroes that fight in wars or serve in the armed forces, heroes that work long hours as nurses or doctors trying to save lives, heroes that work long hours to give their kids a better life...if Paul (a well paid footballer) deserves a stadium filled with fans paying £20 a head to celebrate him, what do these heroes deserve? Paul, being a decent guy, will not think he deserved the testimonial. As I'm sure Lewis thought/thinks the same about his.

Just to clarify, nobody is boasting about not going, if you have people criticising others for not turning up then people will respond. As is seen in this thread.