hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Just remembered that the night before the game against Anderlecht we took a wrong turn😉 and ended up in the red light area. We bumped into Dougie Crombe and other members of the board. They had obviously taken a wrong turn too!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    1st European game was v Sporting Lisbon, not a bad start to watching Hibs in Europe. I also went to the games v Fc Besa and Hadjuk Split. Wonderful time to be a ten year old Hibee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was there too. Only 19000 at the game, the rain was absolutely incessant.
    Quote Originally Posted by FitzAlan View Post
    Eh, no. Roy Barry was an extremely limited, thuggish and unsophisticated centre half, as evidenced during both his spell at Hearts and in his time at Hibs.

I'm gonna tell him you said that!

First Team Breakthrough
    I was in the Shed with my dad and uncle. Our seats weren’t in the covered bit so we got soaked. Remember Harper’s goal like it was yesterday. Had no idea that Keegan was in the Liverpool team. I guess I only had eyes for Hibs!

Liege away got lost after the game and walked for hours. Got on a train to Ostend about 8am with no ticket, passport or idea how I was getting on ferry.

First Team Regular
    For sheer footballing memories... it has to be the home tie vs Sporting Lisbon... very unlucky not to win the CWC

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Leeds 0 v 0 HIBS 1973

https://youtu.be/b2vE-UFTKGs

Leeds had a very good tough team at that time managed by Don Revie. I remember David Coleman on Sportsnight raving about the new phenomenon Jim Cilla Black an overlapping centre half.It was just a shame our best chances fell to Big Tony Higgins. Leeds qualified for the next round following a penalty shoot out and a virtuoso performance from Billy Bremner at ER.

HIBS 2 v 4 Juventus 4 1974

https://youtu.be/CdG49nTw0dl

Hibs actually led 2-1 in this game but Juventus brought on Jose Altafini an ageing Brazilian forward who a few years earlier had been left at home by a confident Napoli side for a second leg at ER he had pace to burn and ended up scoring two and having one assist. I remember Alan Gordon telling the story that in the second leg in which we lost 0-4 Claudio Gentile would pull the hairs out of the backs of his legs when the ball was up the other end of the park.

HIBS 1 v 0 Sochaux 1976/77

https://youtu.be/OGFMIGM5Ktl

black and white footage goal scored by Brownlie great to see Bobby Smith and Arthur again.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Just remembered that the night before the game against Anderlecht we took a wrong turn😉 and ended up in the red light area. We bumped into Dougie Crombe and other members of the board. They had obviously taken a wrong turn too!
    Might have been Anderlecht (or maybe Liege) that I remember Dougie himself doing a shift in the old ticket office / shop on Easter Road (which for younger reads was more or less where "Happy Rice" is just before turning into Albion Road).

A few memories of away days / nights for me:

- A week on Aegina for the game that never was v AEK in 2001 - I'll still never forget the eerie silence as we walked back from the beach to the usually bustling and noisy main street of the town to find that 9/11 had occurred (long before the days of big data allowances on mobile phones
    - Travelling around the Ukraine for the best part of five days - Odessa, Simferopol, Sevastopol, Yalta - before taking an overnight bus to Dnipro to meet up with the boys
    - A night out in Norkopping before the most ridiculous, convoluted, four-change train journey from Norkopping to Boras for the Elfsborg game, only to be picked up by the Police at Boras station and dropped off at the main boozer int the main square while being constantly quizzed about any association with hooliganism that we might have!

Good times and really hoping for similar memories in Tripoli this summer (couldn't get time off for the Faroes)!

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I'm gonna tell him you said that!
    It was the considered opinion of one who played both with and against him, in direct positional opposition, rather than my own. I'm a little too young to have developed my own assessment. Wouldn't wish to hurt his feelings though!

Returning to the topic in hand, my first European night, and indeed the first game of any kind I remember attending, was the Juventus game. I was six and a half years old!

I'll have to censor this a bit! We shared a cabin with 2 Ukrainian guys on the overnight train from Kiev-Dnipro, it soon became apparent the female guard on our carriage supplemented her income by carrying out "extra services", when one of the local guys returned to our cabin I went to purchase a few beers from her only to be greeted with the sight of her little daughter playing away in her cabin. I often wonder how life turned out for the wee girl.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    HIBS 2 v 4 Juventus 4 1974

https://youtu.be/CdG49nTw0dl

Hibs actually led 2-1 in this game but Juventus brought on Jose Altafini an ageing Brazilian forward who a few years earlier had been left at home by a confident Napoli side for a second leg at ER he had pace to burn and ended up scoring two and having one assist. I remember Alan Gordon telling the story that in the second leg in which we lost 0-4 Claudio Gentile would pull the hairs out of the backs of his legs when the ball was up the other end of the park.
    Think we were losing 0 v 1 then scored 2 quickly and almost a third before roof fell in . One of my main memories is waiting in queue to buy stand tickets about a week before the game . There were quite a lot of Italians ( based in Scotland I think ) at the front of the queue , it was massive for them to see La Juve . Was that our biggest home crowd in Europe ? About 30 000 at first Liverpool game , slightly less v Hadjuk Split not sure about Leeds games or Naples .

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Think we were losing 0 v 1 then scored 2 quickly and almost a third before roof fell in . One of my main memories is waiting in queue to buy stand tickets about a week before the game . There were quite a lot of Italians ( based in Scotland I think ) at the front of the queue , it was massive for them to see La Juve . Was that our biggest home crowd in Europe ? About 30 000 at first Liverpool game , slightly less v Hadjuk Split not sure about Leeds games or Naples .
    Leeds 1968 40000 My first game Colin Stein scored first minute with a lob over Gary Sprake then Willie Wilson took five steps and Jack the giraffe neck Charlton scored from the resulting free kick while standing on the goal line to eliminate HIBS on aggregate.

Think Barcelona was about 44000.

Quote Originally Posted by trev the hat View Post
    Enjoyed that ! Tells it how it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Might have been Anderlecht (or maybe Liege) that I remember Dougie himself doing a shift in the old ticket office / shop on Easter Road (which for younger reads was more or less where "Happy Rice" is just before turning into Albion Road).
    Dougie certainly worked in the ticket office for the League Cup final at Parkhead against Rangers.

I joined the queue somewhere around the Church on Albion Place at around 10:00. It moved very slowly. Mid afternoon a women in the queue to pick her kids up from school and cook their tea before rejoining us an hour or so later. We were almost onto Easter Road when the ticket office staff knocked off for the evening at around 5:30. Dougie and and the directors took over in the office. I think it was half pat seven before I finally got away clutching two tickets for the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlydelivery View Post
    For sheer footballing memories... it has to be the home tie vs Sporting Lisbon... very unlucky not to win the CWC

Totally agree
    In my opinion,the best opportunity of any Hibernian team to win a European trophy.
    They were that good,folks !!
    I remember fans talking about/part planning going to the final the way people are now doing about the upcoming Euro tie/s
    IIRC the Cup Winners Cup Final final was in Greece that year.
    Not a bad/difficult journey for fans,even back then.

Sadly,getting knocked out eventually led to the premature demise of The Tornadoes.
    In hindsight,a very bad move on Neds part of course.
    As he himself acknowledged in later years.

que sera sera
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 10-07-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Totally agree
    In my opinion,the best opportunity of any Hibernian team to win a European trophy.
    They were that good,folks !!
    I remember fans talking about/part planning going to the final the way people are now doing about the upcoming Euro tie/s
    IIRC the Cup Winners Cup Final final was in Greece that year.
    Not a bad/difficult journey for fans,evern back then.

Sadly getting knocked out eventually led to the premature demise of The Tornadoes.
    I can still remember Big Frank and Eddie Campbell singing Oh Salonika here we come !
    Ultimately a disaster in Croatia in the second leg against Split Big Jim Herriot a let a couple fly over his head and I think a Blackley og It was the beginning of the end and I don’t think Herriot ever played again for HIBS!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I'll have to censor this a bit! We shared a cabin with 2 Ukrainian guys on the overnight train from Kiev-Dnipro, it soon became apparent the female guard on our carriage supplemented her income by carrying out "extra services", when one of the local guys returned to our cabin I went to purchase a few beers from her only to be greeted with the sight of her little daughter playing away in her cabin. I often wonder how life turned out for the wee girl.
    Just to lighten the mood a bit, the woman that worked in the buffet car that couldn't speak English but, sang Beatles songs in perfect scouse was funny.

I was at the 1975 game but can't remember who I went along with. It was indeed pouring and I managed to cram into the Cave where there were all sorts of big surges throughout the game.

It was after that game that Hibbies started singing the H..i..b..e..r..n..i..a..n Hibernian, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na! chant as the Liverpool fans were chanting L..i..v..e..r..p..double oh ell, Liverpool F. C....etc!

(Why did I bother?)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    I was at the 1975 game but can't remember who I went along with. It was indeed pouring and I managed to cram into the Cave where there were all sorts of big surges throughout the game.

It was after that game that Hibbies started singing the H..i..b..e..r..n..i..a..n Hibernian, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na! chant as the Liverpool fans were chanting L..i..v..e..r..p..double oh ell, Liverpool F. C....etc!

(Why did I bother?)
    What no walk on? Even the HIBS fans were singing walk on before SoL. Then again it was pissing down!

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Great trip.

Lager 11% proof
    you could barely give your money away it was that cheap.supeeb trip .well the bits i can remember were 👍

HIBS 2 v 0 Real Madrid Challenge Match 1964

https://youtu.be/meAVIQu51YM

Videoton 0 v 3 HIBS 1989/99

https://youtu.be/TlWVVXnnmPY
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-07-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post

(Why did I bother?)
    Song and atmosphere in Cave was 1970 match . Cave was seated by 1975 when Liverpool fans ( not many anyway ) were in Dunbar End. Monsoon was in 1975 .

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Song and atmosphere in Cave was 1970 match . Cave was seated by 1975 when Liverpool fans ( not many anyway ) were in Dunbar End. Monsoon was in 1975 .
    Sounds about right. The match was a major disappointment in that it was spoilt in my eyes by Tom Hart telling Willie Macdarlane to drop our top scorer Joe McBride for the game he of course refused enter Dave Ewing who would later say the immortal lines “Rangers are rubbish! “

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    On a similar note, about 10 of us watched most of the 2006 WCF in a knocking shop in Riga on the way home from Daugavpils, that was a tad bizarre, HT entertainment was good though. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Sounds about right. The match was a major disappointment in that it was spoilt in my eyes by Tom Hart telling Willie Macdarlane to drop our top scorer Joe McBride for the game he of course refused enter Dave Ewing who would later say the immortal lines “Rangers are rubbish! “
    It had the fortunate result of leading to Turnbull coming in but Macfarlane was a good manager with the right ideas on how to play and it would have been interesting to see how Hibs would have developed.