hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seagulls

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar

Seagulls

I'll do the honours. Hunners and hunners of them. In folks' faces and swarming in the stands. Like a scene from The Birds. Really irritating. I'm sure there'll be the usual "bedwetter" responses, but I really couldn't care less - you batter on - - it was brutal and I hope the club try to do something about it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    They're bad today! Folk need to not chuck uneaten food on the ground.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Watching the seagulls has been far more entertaining than the 2nd half.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Smaller than usual crowd so they're less scared.

Happens every year, nesting season over the summer I heard so that's why they are more irratible than usual

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're bad today! Folk need to not chuck uneaten food on the ground.
    Nothing to do with uneaten food today. From the minute I walked in at 20 past 2 they were swarming.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Can we not get an eagle or plastic owl or something? Scare them away somehow...

Poor.guy few rows in front of me in East got s&&& on 3 times...he deffo needs to buy a lotto ticket

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    I'll do the honours. Hunners and hunners of them. In folks' faces and swarming in the stands. Like a scene from The Birds. Really irritating. I'm sure there'll be the usual "bedwetter" responses, but I really couldn't care less - you batter on - - it was brutal and I hope the club try to do something about it.
    They have been plaguing North Edinburgh, all summer. Anybody got any ideas why?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    It's not hard to work out why, free source of food, they know it's coming so will hang around.

City centre is plagued along with surrounding areas as the bins aren't emptied leading to rubbish piling up and folk being disgusting pigs and leaving their rubbish strewn all over the place. Again some of this comes down to the council not collecting, especially from the big bins at flats but the folk that just chuck away their food wrappers can go and do one
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    It's not hard to work out why, free source of food, they know it's coming so will hang around.

City centre is plagued along with surrounding areas as the bins aren't emptied leading to rubbish piling up and folk being disgusting pigs and leaving their rubbish strewn all over the place. Again some of this comes down to the council not collecting, especially from the big bins at flats but the folk that just chuck away their food wrappers can go and do one
    Yup. It's a joke seeing grown men and women just leave their rubbish lying around at FT. How difficult is it just to hold onto it for 2 mins and put it in the bin?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Yup. It's a joke seeing grown men and women just leave their rubbish lying around at FT. How difficult is it just to hold onto it for 2 mins and put it in the bin?
    Should hand out fines for litter droppers with all money going towards the transfer budget, we could make loads
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Their first game of the season and they've turned up in decent numbers by the sounds of it. Probably been a long close season for the flying rats.

I just hope they show up at away games as well.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Poor.guy few rows in front of me in East got s&&& on 3 times...he deffo needs to buy a lotto ticket

That Guy is Gary Locke and i claim my £10...

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Can we not get an eagle or plastic owl or something? Scare them away somehow...
    So the plastic owls went on the Tynie sale

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post

Seen that as well 😂

Probably one of the main highlights of the game today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Their first game of the season and they've turned up in decent numbers by the sounds of it. Probably been a long close season for the flying rats.

I just hope they show up at away games as well.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    😂

They really are flying vermin. I’d love to see pest control sort them! Sorry if this offends any seagull lovers but they are way out of control all over the city.

Pic I took from east Mid bombing raid.

https://imageshack.us/i/poL6IL9lj

Just clocked the boy on the right protecting his heid 😂

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    They really are flying vermin. I’d love to see pest control sort them! Sorry if this offends any seagull lovers but they are way out of control all over the city.
    Edinburgh rooftops make grand nesting places for seagulls - not many nesting cliffs round the Leith area.

The availability of food in rubbish bins and on streets doesn't help but won't make much difference, I don't think.

I remember reading they were a protected species so I doubt pest control can help, more's the pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Edinburgh rooftops make grand nesting places for seagulls - not many nesting cliffs round the Leith area.

The availability of food in rubbish bins and on streets doesn't help but won't make much difference, I don't think.

I remember reading they were a protected species so I doubt pest control can help, more's the pity.
    Never knew they were protected. Best put my air gun back in the cupboard 😁

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Dad's pal got **** on and dad got the splash back over him
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    The weird thing is they seemed bugger off at half time (in the FF at least) only to make a reappearance as soon as the second half was under way.

When I worked at the Royal Ed I was speaking to a pest control guy, he had a falcon on his arm, he said they are not allowed to destroy the gulls but the falcon (and hawks) are sent in during hatching season & peck at the eggs to destroy the embryos inside.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    The council used to go about in cherry pickers and shoot these rat b******s as well as the eggs in the nests to keep the population down, I wonder if they still do this? Seagulls are becoming more and more brazen and lesss frightened of humans.

Used to see the guys in Waverley station on the nightshift picking off roosting pigeons with an air rifle as well until someone/people complained about the dead ones lying on the tracks. Sensitive souls...

They are protected but as I understand it that means you cannot do them or their eggs any harm.

I used to work in a place where they had loudspeakers on the roof that regularly sounded out their distress call. It kinda worked.

I'm wondering though if the gulls are affected by a certain frequencies of sound, like the mosquito, mice and rat devices, that humans don't hear. The council could incorporate them into lampposts and Hibs around the top of the stands.
    Space to let

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a machine you could get which played a high pitched sound of some kind which kept them away(?)

The rubbish/food lying around probably doesn't help, but I don't know why there are so many of them and they are so bad.

I was tempted to but some chips a toss them near the linesman on the East stand, just to see him panic as they attacked him and the chips.

Absolutely cannot stand them. Hope something can be done.

There was a sparrowhawk flew in during first half chasing a pigeon and that startled them as they buggered off up towards south stand for a bit !